Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zodack posted:

I really wish there was a casual queue, I actually can't recall the last time I played a deck that wasn't Eldlich, Traptrix, or Dragon Maid. Let me use my less meta deck in peace you maniacs

Even in games with casual queues those fill up with meta decks too.

I've been wondering, if there was a spell that said "Pay X LP. Draw a card", what amount, if any, would be enough to only run the card at 2/1/0 copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Ardeem posted:

I'm definatly regretting hitting plat a few hours before the end of the last ranking, gold is full of plat tryhards right now and I think I've managed to end a turn with a card on the field once out of the past three games.

Yeah Im just waiting for those guys to rank up and leave me at least a couple of enjoyable games.

Ive been loving Master Duel fairly casually, but running into too many decks that just lock you out of playing is making me lose interest. They need more types of battle so you can go rogue league or soemthing, but I suspect with the internet and all the youtuber tutorials every possible annoying deck that can be made will be made and that will just be how it is.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Even in games with casual queues those fill up with meta decks too.

I've been wondering, if there was a spell that said "Pay X LP. Draw a card", what amount, if any, would be enough to only run the card at 2/1/0 copies.

Pay 16000 lp to draw a card would be unplayable in meta decks, since youd have to run so much life gain to get there that your draws would probably just be more life gain.

Now i specified meta bc it might be good in a more rogue strategy i dont know about, theres a lot of cards i dont know them all

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

you'd run fewer if the card wasn't live as often, so 4k ends up being the break point where you never want to see more than one copy per game. aside from that, you'd have to factor in other cards that cost lifepoints, effects which can activate by discarding a spell (which might justify running more copies even if they become dead), things like that

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We have Upstart Goblin and Chicken Game in the format at 3 and they aren't really played outside of FTK decks and sometimes Sky Striker. Presumably the FTK decks would play another pay lifepoint draw card as long as it wasn't so expensive that it interfered with Chicken Game/Pseudo Space.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It would be great if the game can pairs players based on their equipable title, which include Casual.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Nyaa posted:

It would be great if the game can pairs players based on their equipable title, which include Casual.

I'd only do that for unranked matches, otherwise you'd get people smurfing for eas(y/ier) points.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Zodack posted:

By what, mashing surrender enough times to derank whenever I get too close to Plat? Sure, but that's a bit of a silly response to an option that would be a much better alternative

If anything an option to simply stay at Gold I instead of ranking up to the next tier (at the cost of no longer earning rewards) would be nice. Gold, for me, is the sweet spot for enjoyable and engaging duels.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 1, 2022

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Alternatively, a deck cost system where it total the cards by rarity score could work.

They would have to figure out how much UR is worth and such.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nyaa posted:

Alternatively, a deck cost system where it total the cards by rarity score could work.

They would have to figure out how much UR is worth and such.
Given there are some real lemons with huge UR costs, that’s a terrible idea.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
There is too much weird synergy in this game for that to work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The closest thing I can think of that would work would be to use a system similar to what competitive Pokemon/Smogon does, and tier cards entirely by usage, taking data from the previous month's Platinum duels. If a card is used in more than X% of winning games, it's at tier Y, and costs Z deck points to build with.

OU/Platinum/whatever gives you unlimited points, UU/Gold/whatever gives you X points, RU/Silver/etc gives you less than that, etc.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 1, 2022

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We have Upstart Goblin and Chicken Game in the format at 3 and they aren't really played outside of FTK decks and sometimes Sky Striker. Presumably the FTK decks would play another pay lifepoint draw card as long as it wasn't so expensive that it interfered with Chicken Game/Pseudo Space.

Wait, what? Have we really evolved to the point that a 37 card deck is not worth it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

serefin99 posted:

Wait, what? Have we really evolved to the point that a 37 card deck is not worth it?
In a way. Being able to OTK the first time you get a real opening is important for a lot of decks, and that extra 2-3k can mean the difference between clinching the win and giving your opponent one more turn to draw an out.

Not to mention Upstart is a UR and nobody but full moneybags are crafting 3 URs that don't advance their gamestate. Also, Pot of Prosperity is an SR, and accomplishes roughly the same thing, unless you have a ton of draw effects. See also: Why Mothra is getting so much more play than Gamera right now. Gameciel and Kumongous are SR, but Galdarla is only an R, and most decks that can beat over a 2200 can also beat over a 2700.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 1, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

girl dick energy posted:

(Also, Upstart is a UR and nobody but full moneybags are crafting 3 URs that don't advance their gamestate. See also: Why Mothra is getting so much more play than Gamera right now. Gameciel and Kumongous are SR, but Galdarla is only an R.)

I did it for nurse burn but I'm also an idiot who makes terrible decisions. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I did it for nurse burn but I'm also an idiot who makes terrible decisions. :v:
Nurse burn is an extremely valid reason to run Upstart, and it DOES advance your gamestate.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

girl dick energy posted:

In a way. Being able to OTK the first time you get a real opening is important for a lot of decks, and that extra 2-3k can mean the difference between clinching the win and giving your opponent one more turn to draw an out.

Not to mention Upstart is a UR and nobody but full moneybags are crafting 3 URs that don't advance their gamestate. Also, Pot of Prosperity is an SR, and accomplishes roughly the same thing, unless you have a ton of draw effects. See also: Why Mothra is getting so much more play than Gamera right now. Gameciel and Kumongous are SR, but Galdarla is only an R, and most decks that can beat over a 2200 can also beat over a 2700.

Gadarla also has the benefit of getting past the wind Barrier Statue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vandar posted:

Gadarla also has the benefit of getting past the wind Barrier Statue.
:hmmyes:

Seriously, if there's a card that needs banning, it's not Accesscode Talker, it's loving Simorgh. What if Transcode Talker, but it works on any Winged Beasts and also goes +1 every turn?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 1, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

girl dick energy posted:

Nurse burn is an extremely valid reason to run Upstart, and it DOES advance your gamestate.

Oh I meant more "making nurse burn in general" but every time it works it makes me giggle like a loving idiot, so gems well spent. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Other factors that make Upstart less good:
- hand traps (drawing into a hand trap turn 2 with Upstart Goblin is a lot less than just having one turn 1)
- combo enablers you don't want to draw into (makes it questionable whether running less cards is even good since you draw into more unplayable cards)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That advice is more applicable than ever now, considering that if you now hit Plat V you can't demote.

That being said, give it a week or two. The plat-tier players are probably only playing enough ranked to do their dailies and gold is still full of Drytrons and Eldlich nonsense as a result.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Reportedly you get better random gem drops at higher ranks though

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I play what I like and I play to win I don't care what my opponent plays

Except Sky Strikers. Watch a better anime you losers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I played a dude who went first so I Maxx C'd him as usual. He managed to set up an infinite special summon loop which caused me to eventually deck out

Wanker

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I played a dude who went first so I Maxx C'd him as usual. He managed to set up an infinite special summon loop which caused me to eventually deck out

Wanker

If Maxx C will not be banned, we must counter it.

I'm kinda wondering what the most compact special summon loop is to make that happen, though. Like, is there something you can swing with a bunch of link monsters in the extra deck and some supporting spells?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wanker
Ayyy, someone won the Maxx C challenge! Good for him.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Decks that can win Maxx C challenge: Drytron, Synchron, Mayakashi, Six Samurai...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Trickstars. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWaztrbH2VQ

Vandar fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 2, 2022

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How does Drytron do it? Don't they have once per turn on most of their engine?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
One of my accounts is in silver, just matched up vs Aliens. There is life out there in the lower ranks Scully.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I play what I like and I play to win I don't care what my opponent plays

Except Sky Strikers. Watch a better anime you losers.

Sky Strikers isnt based on Serial Experiments Lain, unless you hate that too. You seem to hate everything

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Watch a better anime you losers.
The irony of saying this in the Yu-Gi-Oh thread.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I still don’t see what reward was given for each ranking.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Sky Strikers isnt based on Serial Experiments Lain, unless you hate that too. You seem to hate everything

That wasn't direct at you, quoting you, or even about you. It was throw away joke making fun of the archetype that's basically Strike Witches But Cards because the bit was "OH I like playing against everything but this one for [silly not game related reason]".

Also what are you talking about 80% of my posts here have been "Hero support Big HYPE!" or talking about having fun doing Madolche and Gem-Knights poo poo vs Maxx C.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 2, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

That wasn't direct at you, quoting you, or even about you. It was throw away joke making fun of the archetype that's basically Strike Witches But Cards because the bit was "OH I like playing against everything but this one for [silly not game related reason]".

Also what are you talking about 80% of my posts here have been "Hero support Big HYPE!" or talking about having fun doing Madolche and Gem-Knights poo poo vs Maxx C.

I like sky strikers, so by calling out anyone who likes sky strikers, you inherently call out me

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Idk what strike witches is so tbf it is a case of me just not getting the joke, which is on me

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Idk what strike witches is so tbf it is a case of me just not getting the joke, which is on me

Strike Witches is the anime that Sky Strikers take a ton of inspiration from.

It’s not great!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I do want to say that I hate the uncertainty of right now, just because I feel like Master Duel is at the point where they should do a card update, either through banlist or new cards, and it's kinda hard to tell if they are doing that and just haven't yet, or if they're just gonna not do card pool updates because Konami.

I'm also kinda curious, when thinking about it, what they'll do with newer support for existing archetypes. Will Myutant Mutant get added to Life Finds A Way like the rest of the archetype, or are they gonna add it into a new pack?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's 100% this. Skystrikers is based on a very bad anime.

It's basically me saying "Destony Heroes suck. Read better books".

Also you took it way too personal. Like what was with bringing up Lain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Does it have anything to do with Strike Witches other than the plane girl concept? I thought the forms were based on Symphogear