Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DOOMocrat posted:

There's a lot of "Russia can't arrest everyone" and "Russia can't return to a totalitarian managed economy" spurring the short war conclusion and I'm not convinced of any of that.

Many things are feasible that have incredibly high costs. I'm sure that Russia could transition to some kind of more autarkic managed economy, but the process would be very bad for pretty much everyone involved except maybe certain oligarchs and China. But that's basically sanctions working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

DOOMocrat posted:

There's a lot of "Russia can't arrest everyone" and "Russia can't return to a totalitarian managed economy" spurring the short war conclusion and I'm not convinced of any of that.

It's technically possible, but doing it over two weeks with no warning isn't going to happen smoothly. It's only going to be a few more days until warehouses run out of general consumer goods and distributors can't buy more with their worthless rubles.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Batka was almost ousted during the last Belarusian uprising. If Russia hadn't been there to support him, the revolution might have been successful. So what's different in Russia? How does Putin's grip on the country differ from Batka's?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It comes down to do the army and the cops remain loyal, frankly. If Putin goes it will be a coup not an uprising

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

A volunteer for the Ukraine defense force was recording a voice message when the city council building in Kharkiv was hit by some kind of shell

He got it all on video. He also survived and no one else was near him that i can see, so no nms. Let me know if I should change that

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1499018436269248513?t=6ZMqKtrYGBlkuUNCu5ju-Q&s=19

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1499008228700700689?s=20&t=fHvf5h2x2TDjRwKGK-cP1Q

If this does really happen, what are the chances of Russia going full hermit kingdom?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Batka was almost ousted during the last Belarusian uprising. If Russia hadn't been there to support him, the revolution might have been successful. So what's different in Russia? How does Putin's grip on the country differ from Batka's?

More cops
Higher standard of living, slightly lighter censorship and minor outlets for activism are tolerated

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Groke posted:

It's like... there's no point in trying to go for a really big naval fuckup; Tsarist Russia took the all-time trophy.

The Kamchatka can never be beaten, though it was very afraid of torpedo boats (British fishing vessels). :ughh:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Comstar posted:

I just saw a post on reddit (which I now cannot find) of a dozen or so Donask soldiers who surrendered. They all were in schools/technical schools. All had the same story- show up for conscription, here's your uniform, off you go. 3 days later they are on the front line.

Back in the 80's I played M1 Tank Platoon on the Amiga- it had a guide at the back of the book on the Air-Land 2000 battle plan to defeat the Warsaw Pact. Hit their supply columns, trade space for time when you need to, slow down and then stop the advance.

Looks like it probably would have worked. Huh.

Air Land Battle definitely would have worked, particularly after 1982-1984 or so. The First Gulf War proved that out.

The post just above about 18 survivors in a 150-man unit is just :psyduck:. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the tactical results in some training exercises, but generally you take the highest casualties in the first 30 seconds of contact. If you survive those first 30 seconds, you have a decent chance at surviving that contact. 88% casualties is astounding. Just an utter waste of life.

#fuckputin

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

kemikalkadet posted:

Russian ships seem to spend most of their existence on fire in some way, it's like their rest state.
https://twitter.com/michaelblowers/status/789405013332271104

Some trivia on the Kuznetsov - though it is known to have caught fire at least once while docked for repairs (2019), most of the other multitude of photos of it spitting a thick black plume of smoke can be attributed to its power plant, which burns low-grade fuel oil called mazut. Though given the processes required to actually burn that oil, it's also quite possible that it was on fire while underway in a few of those photos as well.

(I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Many things are feasible that have incredibly high costs. I'm sure that Russia could transition to some kind of more autarkic managed economy, but the process would be very bad for pretty much everyone involved except maybe certain oligarchs and China. But that's basically sanctions working as intended.

I mean, that's always a choice Russia could make. Return to a command economy. Of course, that's the actual anthesis to Putinomics and kleptocapitalist plutocracy; also, ask the DPRK about how well command economies work when your country is completely isolated as a pariah state.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just Another Lurker posted:

The Kamchatka can never be beaten, though it was very afraid of torpedo boats (British fishing vessels). :ughh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mdi_Fh9_Ag&t=18s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXpj6nK5ylo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCrAQFBUFlU

For everyone looking for a reference, these are good

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 2, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

fatherboxx posted:

More cops
Higher standard of living, slightly lighter censorship and minor outlets for activism are tolerated

It’s just the first one now

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Video out of Mariupol today. Sounds of shelling but no visuals.

The end shows the inside of a grocery store - it's interesting to see what's still on the shelves but it's clear things are running out.

Translations would be nice, if anyone is able, but things are pretty clear from context.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1499014041875976193?t=2kxFX_KUqS08jC8MjQHOGw&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

The posts about “EU surprised even itself when it showed a little spine” got me pondering about what further actions can/will be taken to economically punish Russia. Like, what’s left? Have they turned the gas receipt off yet? When they do, what else can or will the western world do?

We’re still importing their natural gas, and oil. If we would want to simply kill their economy, we stop doing that. And Americans stop importing their oil.

Problem is, if we withdraw from their oil cold turkey, that may also crash the global economy.

ronya posted:

it does feel like the cost of some of that equipment has just gone through the roof of late - not just some infantry vehicles but very modern MBTs and complex mobile weapon systems

anybody else get that sense? could be a side effect of these beginning to show up in theatre to begin with

They couldn’t manufacture modern MBTs during peacetime even, since sanctions existing for years have prevented Russian from manufacturing optics for Armata series.

Red posted:

You can imply or impose sanctions on the few trading partners Russia has left, I suppose.

I'm surprised the EU haven't begun sanctioning Belarus.

You could also start charging high-ranking Russian army officials with war crimes.

Imagine if the EU/US/etc. offered to lift certain sanctions in exchange for Russia turning over specific officers? The army would start mass desertions.

Belarus has been under sanctions since forever, including some fairly harsh sanctions on their exports in the aftermath of shambolic 2020 “election”. Furthermore, they have been further sanctioned earlier this week, for involvement in the Russian invasion - by U.K. and EU at the very least.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Hmm:

https://twitter.com/drsarahwhitmore/status/1499013645635833858

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 2, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean sure, but there is orders of magnitude of a difference between the economic costs of a low-grade conflict on a static line of contact than the full-scale invasion and occupation of a country with a strong armed forces and a hostile population the size of Ukraine.

Oh, absolutely. I was just pointing out something that needs to be pounded into some people's heads.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This was literally what was on the invasion map that Belarus' president leaked accidentally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1499018248037310464?s=20&t=n6SKQ2eG-ORGPNp5MikgEg

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

They've had conscription since the invasion of Crimea, I read they had 400k veterans in their 20s that they just had to arm and organize and send out.

400k per year. That's the size of the class of men who age into conscription per year, minus those unfit for service.

The military training before Crimea wasn't very good, the standard was roughly "what you see among Russians right now". However, after the dust settled in 2014, Ukraine suddenly got very serious and motivated about their military. They got a lot of foreign advisors, and insituted a very tight curriculum for the conscripts, including rotating everyone through a combat deployment in Donbass to get them accustomed to being shelled. The total size of this well trained reserve is ~3 million men.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah, uh :crossarms:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 2, 2022

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I don't get what they're suggesting. Purple says Hungarian territory, green says Romanian. How would that work?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hmm

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1499028812100734979?t=nBk2zo9cK8FcxZCmftV0gQ&s=19

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

William Bear posted:

I don't get what they're suggesting. Purple says Hungarian territory, green says Romanian. How would that work?

The presumption is that Romania, Hungary, and Poland are all as willing to reclaim their former territory as Russia is, so they will seize and annex it while Ukraine is collapsing.

Edit: That map also clearly annexes transnistria as part of the red section.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Morrow posted:

The presumption is that Romania, Hungary, and Poland are all as willing to reclaim their former territory as Russia is, so they will seize and annex it while Ukraine is collapsing.

As people have been pointing out, Putin isn't "crazy," he just assumes the rest of the world acts the same as they do are motivated by the same things. So he truly believes the current Ukrainian government is illegitimate because to him, the protests could HAD to be organized by the West and the elections HAD to be fraudulent. Why? Because that's how things work in Russia.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

CommieGIR posted:

This was literally what was on the invasion map that Belarus' president leaked accidentally.

I would guess it's being passed around the media with orders to go to press.

I do like the casual intrusion into Moldova's borders to recover Transnistria.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

As people have been pointing out, Putin isn't "crazy," he just assumes the rest of the world acts the same as they do are motivated by the same things. So he truly believes the current Ukrainian government is illegitimate because to him, the protests could HAD to be organized by the West and the elections HAD to be fraudulent. Why? Because that's how things work in Russia.

There's going to be one hell of a crisis if Orban reaches for his slice of the pie.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BoldFace posted:

How tight moderation do the bigger Russian social media platforms like VKontakte have? Are people allowed to post the same clips that are being circulated on Telegram channels and Twitter, or will the accounts get banned?

You’ll get police knocking on your door 1 day after you make a war post. Not kidding.

WaltherFeng posted:

Does anyone have any info how reliant Russia is on imports to replace or fix their destroyed / damaged military hardware like MBTs and such?

They’re running a lot of older hardware because the previous sanctions were already a problem for modernisation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

A naval loving invasion.

I think this may be a ruse. Naval invasion would be insane to pull off for Russia. Especially with all the AT weapons readily available.

Ukraine needs some surface to ship missiles to stop the nazi menace from touching the surface of Odessa.

They tried a few smaller ones and those got repealed. There were rumours of them trying a larger one that lead to unit-level mutiny, but it’s wholly unconfirmed. Afaik, weather right now is too poo poo for massive amphibious landing campaigns.

Dante posted:

Does the russian military use the latin alphabet normally, sort of like the NATO phonetic alphabet? It's weird to me to see that Z there.

Not really, this choice was likely dictated by some legibility considerations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Partitioning out conquered countries like it's the 1930s again. Cool times. Cool, cool

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Alchenar posted:

There's going to be one hell of a crisis if Orban reaches for his slice of the pie.

Invading ZKP is a bad idea for many, many reasons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

William Bear posted:

They're fantasizing about partition like it's Poland or the Vienna Diktat or something. It's entirely masturbatory at this point, since you need to you know, take over the country to execute any of it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

:nms: for a dead body in the loving header but a russian senator is calling out the Russian Military for not even trying to bring back the bodies of dead soldiers.

https://nv.ua/ukr/ukraine/events/ly...i-50221640.html

Quote from the article:

quote:

"The question of at least collecting the bodies of the dead is simply not worth it. I called the headquarters of the Western Military District, the press secretary of the Deputy Minister of Defense, and said, why not agree on a corridor that can at least remove the bodies? After all, they lie on unloved land, wild stray dogs eat bodies, some cannot be identified because they are burnt, "Narusova said on the Russian TV channel Dozhd.

I've also heard from more than one POW and Russian radio chatter say that officers are shooting the wounded rather than trying to transport them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

depending on how you want to count Donbass, that's an eight year war and counting. While the UK Foreign Secretary is an absolute idiot, I don't think that the statement was "war of this nature at this tempo for 10 years." However, since Truss is a moron, I'm not totally discounting the possibility.

Yeah, I interpreted the statement that it would be a ten year war to be meant in the same sense that the war in Afghanistan was a twenty year war, even if the invasion only lasted two months. I don't think she meant it including Crimea and Donbass, more that after conventional victory the insurgency could last a decade until either crushed or victorious.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I feel like they intended to say "there are mass graves from the Nazi regime in Ukraine, let us show you them!" but this for sure reads like "hold my vodka and watch me make some mass graves, you ain't seen nothing yet." Yikes.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Been listening & watching his vids for years, he very rarely goes further than just after WW2 as such records and schematics on ships can be inaccurate/non existent due to security concerns.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

:nms: for a dead body in the loving header but a russian senator is calling out the Russian Military for not even trying to bring back the bodies of dead soldiers.

Quote from the article:

I've also heard from more than one POW and Russian radio chatter say that officers are shooting the wounded rather than trying to transport them.
I find it extremely hard to believe that last point, because that will result in an officer tragically killed by a "Ukranian partisan" very quickly.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

"We're going to invade Ukraine because they're Nazi's."
"Why would Nazi's elect a Jewish president?"
"Insidious evil reasons, I guess. Look calm down we're just going to surgically target military and government, we're the good guys here."
"Uhh, we have some videos where you're just indiscriminately carpet bombing cities, hitting schools, hospitals, residences and memorials for holocaust mass graves."
"SHUT THE gently caress UP I'LL GENOCIDE YOUR WHOLE GODDAMN COUNTRY AND MAKE MORE MASS GRAVES YOU INFERIOR UNDESIRABLES, HAIL PUTIN."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I feel like they intended to say "there are mass graves from the Nazi regime in Ukraine, let us show you them!" but this for sure reads like "hold my vodka and watch me make some mass graves, you ain't seen nothing yet." Yikes.

Ah yeah, I just saw it as a threat, that makes sense too.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 2, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The "10 years" is just a euphemism because it's too uncomfortable to publicly say, "He's going to annex Ukraine and we can't do anything about it." And inimical to Ukrainian morale. So "10 years".

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Quote from the article:

Russia fully embracing their Warhammer 40k destiny

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If the Russians are using open and unsecured radio channels, would it be possible to transmit misinformation through them?