Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

Wow, West Side Story is already on Disney+.

I finally watched the original last night on HBO Max. I feel like I should like it because it's supposed to be a classic, but I didn't like it. The brownface was distracting, and I didn't care for the extended dance sequences, or the performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

smackfu posted:

Amazon has a rom-com named “I Want You Back” with Charlie Day and it starts with two people getting dumped out of nowhere for being complacent in their relationship. Fun date night movie!

Yeah we watched this a couple of weeks back and it's pretty good. Reminded me a lot of When Harry Met Sally, it's a genuinely funny movie and the central relationship is believable. I liked that the two ex-partners at the centre of the plot were written and performed as mostly sympathetic, complicated people who just acted a bit dickishly when breaking up with someone. Jenny Slate is pretty wonderful and Charlie Day is impressively grounded by his standards.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm watching Yellow Jackets, still not sure if I like it or not yet. am on episode 8 lol

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm watching Yellow Jackets, still not sure if I like it or not yet. am on episode 8 lol

Oh come on. You're telling me you didn't love the scene with Christina Ricci busting into Juliette Lewis's motel room, knocking her out of the way, and doing all of her coke herself? I saw that clip on twitter, and knew immediately I had to watch that show.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E nm

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just finished 1883 (paramount+) last night and found it to be better than Yellowstone. It's definitely grimdark western and maybe takes itself a tad too seriously but it's Taylor Sheridan so not too surprising.

The acting in particular was far better than I expected. Sam Elliot gives an incredible, fleshed out performance and I think it may be his career best. Tim McGraw and faith hill are better than most actors working today, I was shocked. But the standout was Idabel May. Just a gut wrenching performance that wouldn't have worked without her talent. The relationship between her and her characters parents was so genuine and beautiful.

Definitely recommended for any fans of the genre, or Sheridan. Viewers need not have seen Yellowstone- it's a true standalone prequel series that surpasses the parent series in virtually every way.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh come on. You're telling me you didn't love the scene with Christina Ricci busting into Juliette Lewis's motel room, knocking her out of the way, and doing all of her coke herself? I saw that clip on twitter, and knew immediately I had to watch that show.

yeah that part was funny. I don't hate it I'm gonna finish it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i just looked up West Side Story's box office performance and haha, drat.

what did you expect would happen, mr. spielberg

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

I finally watched the original last night on HBO Max. I feel like I should like it because it's supposed to be a classic, but I didn't like it. The brownface was distracting, and I didn't care for the extended dance sequences, or the performances.

That sounds like a real boomer nostalgia kick. Gonna take a pass on this as well.

Now for my nostalgia purposes the 90s grrl power rock in Yellow Jackets is just killing it.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Yellowjackets has a great soundtrack too love they had a Portishead song that wasn't Roads or Sour Times.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

precision posted:

i just looked up West Side Story's box office performance and haha, drat.

what did you expect would happen, mr. spielberg

If it wasn't for the Oscar noms, I'd have bet it would've been dumped to Hulu instead.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
French Dispatch is watching Wes Anderson getting absorbed into his own rear end in a top hat in real time.

Still dug the poo poo out of it, if not for the sheer audacity.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheMopeSquad posted:

Yellowjackets has a great soundtrack too love they had a Portishead song that wasn't Roads or Sour Times.

As an old man that graduated in 94 the music really, really hits me. I also feel creepy as hell because emo Natalie was totally the girls I was into and it brings back memories

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

If it wasn't for the Oscar noms, I'd have bet it would've been dumped to Hulu instead.

As, that’s not nice to Hulu. They have Spencer! And Nightmare Alley! And The King’s Man… ok. That list ran out of steam fast.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Speaking of Sam Elliot, his recent diatribe against The Power of the Dog for having too many “homosexual insinuations” was pretty funny. I like watching the guy on screen, but man.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
too hot to be a salt

https://twitter.com/glcnnsrhee/status/1499085095109636108

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
am i to understand that Yellow Jackets concerns riot grrls and 90s culture? i should watch that

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

am i to understand that Yellow Jackets concerns riot grrls and 90s culture? i should watch that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX22D65TqAs

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
That trailer (like every trailer) is kind of spoilery. I mean I get it's the premise but I feel like it's more fun to just cold start it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just finished The French Dispatch on HBO Max. I'm a longtime fan of Wes Anderson films, and consider Rushmore and The Life Aquatic amongst some of my favorite movies.

This was maybe his worst movie. It was a boring slog, and contained none of the humor of most of his movies, only the quirkiness. I don't know what happened, but he seemed to think that he only needed the most talented actors paired with his trademark quirkiness and that he would have a successful formula for a film. While I blame none of the actors as it was all well acted, it felt like 3 hours when it was only 100 minutes.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was great, but I didn't care for Isle of Dogs. Hopefully his next project is better. I'll even take another Darjeeling Limited or Moonlight Kingdom which I consider some of his lesser works.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Nihonniboku posted:

I just finished The French Dispatch on HBO Max. I'm a longtime fan of Wes Anderson films, and consider Rushmore and The Life Aquatic amongst some of my favorite movies.

This was maybe his worst movie. It was a boring slog, and contained none of the humor of most of his movies, only the quirkiness. I don't know what happened, but he seemed to think that he only needed the most talented actors paired with his trademark quirkiness and that he would have a successful formula for a film. While I blame none of the actors as it was all well acted, it felt like 3 hours when it was only 100 minutes.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was great, but I didn't care for Isle of Dogs. Hopefully his next project is better. I'll even take another Darjeeling Limited or Moonlight Kingdom which I consider some of his lesser works.

It's interesting to see how divided folks are on The French Dispatch. Maybe because it's just a series of vignettes? Personally, I liked it more than Darjeeling, Isle of Dogs or Grand Budapest.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

frogbs posted:

It's interesting to see how divided folks are on The French Dispatch. Maybe because it's just a series of vignettes? Personally, I liked it more than Darjeeling, Isle of Dogs or Grand Budapest.

Yeah, the vignettes could have been an issue for me. I think for me is that Wes Anderson films I usually love the characters, but this we only saw the characters for at most 20 minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jesus tittyfucking christ i am gonna mainline this show right the gently caress now

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

Speaking of Sam Elliot, his recent diatribe against The Power of the Dog for having too many “homosexual insinuations” was pretty funny. I like watching the guy on screen, but man.

Ah geez. Link?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

feedmyleg posted:

Ah geez. Link?
https://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/sam-elliot-thinks-the-power-of-the-dog-is-a-piece-of-st-movie-but-for-troubling-reasons.php

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah geez. Just another reminder to never meet your heroes, folks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

His entire criticism of the movie is totally incoherent lol.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I was wowed by Wes Anderson's style and direction, but it's got some of his weakest most tedious characters and stories. His style is at its peak but i felt the narrative is at its thinnest for wes anderson, and not just cuz it's a series of cornball new yorker vignettes that feel almost like a parody of wes anderson but just because it's mostly pretentious tired observations on art and 1968 where ur sometimes just like, is this in on the joke or just skin deep.
It's no surprise the strongest bit is Wes just taking the real vibrant character of James Baldwin and giving it to Jeffrey Wright. That's an easy win. The stuff Wes actually had to think up past that is his lamest yet.

This may be controversial but I feel like both Andersons were too into their comfort zones with their new movies. PT's proven he can make a masterpiece about anything, and it's just like, more white dude 70s nostalgia huh. Like The French Dispatch is the most Wes Andersony movie yet Wes Andersoned, Licorice Pizza is the same for PT. So...on the nose?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

Ah geez. Just another reminder to never meet your heroes, folks

He's finally becoming the man all my Trump worshipping family members think he is with the memes they post

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I really enjoyed French Dispatch, but mostly in the same way I'd enjoy something like "Fantasia." The stories are uneven not many characters get a chance to shine, but it's hard to not enjoy 1h40m of the most meticulously-designed and arranged shots of any film in recent memory. Wes Anderson has always had a distinctive style, but this film takes it into overdrive... literally ~every single shot~ in the runtime is like peeking into a diorama. and even though there's not a strong connecting plot, the shorts are all tied together nicely with a few clear themes: how/why we pursue our passions, journalism, the value/power of creative storytelling, etc.

however I'm starting to really dislike Timothee Chalomet. Yes he has an insane jawline and looks good in still images, but every time he's on screen I get the impression that he's a kid who's been shoved in front of a camera and doesn't really know what to do. In "Dune" I thought his performance was passable but didn't have nearly enough gravitas... and in this movie it didn't feel like he did anything but pose (it also didn't help that he had to act alongside Frances McDormand, one of the GOATs)

frogbs posted:

I'd go Grand Budapest >>> Zissou > Mr Fox > French Dispatch > Isle of Dogs > (all of the rest here, no strong opinions, I don't hate any of them but don't love them and haven't seen a few in a very long time)

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 4, 2022

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Our Flag Means Death is fun. It’s not quite as good as What We Do In The Shadows but I’m committed to it after the first 3 episodes dropped on HBO.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'm going to watch season two of yellowjackets but I already think I know what they're going to do with it and its gonna make me mad they're going to do the thing where the occult poo poo isn't real magic and it was just a bad guy or whatever and then explain how everything that seemed like magic was just a coincidence or something

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm going to watch season two of yellowjackets but I already think I know what they're going to do with it and its gonna make me mad they're going to do the thing where the occult poo poo isn't real magic and it was just a bad guy or whatever and then explain how everything that seemed like magic was just a coincidence or something

We'll see! I think a lot of it can be explained away like you said, but the one thing where I can't see a logical explanation is Tai's fugue states where she goes feral eating dirt and can climb trees like a squirrel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm halfway thru Yellowjackets S1 and it's great but man it is definitely a Showtime joint. As in, the first couple episodes are slam dance loving awesome but then things get a bit dubious going forward.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Undying with anticipation

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1496940658661244938?t=8KvZQ5DqwQIzeet38sAdKg&s=19

E he was originally taking about Wellington Paranormal

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1496939954794020867?t=XNurWRjb0nQkP0H80UbRkQ&s=19

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

I'm halfway thru Yellowjackets S1 and it's great but man it is definitely a Showtime joint. As in, the first couple episodes are slam dance loving awesome but then things get a bit dubious going forward.

Yeah, I don't have hopes that it'll stay good all the way through, although the stellar cast alone might make it worth sticking it through. I don't think a Showtime show has ever lasted more than a few seasons before turning to utter poo poo. I watched all 3 seasons of Black Monday recently, and season 1 was great, although casting Andrew Rannells and Casey Wilson (although great and hilarious, but solidly in their 40s) as young 20 somethings was dubious. Season 2 and 3 turned to crap though, and Don Cheadle as the main character was deeply unlikable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I don't have hopes that it'll stay good all the way through, although the stellar cast alone might make it worth sticking it through. I don't think a Showtime show has ever lasted more than a few seasons before turning to utter poo poo. I watched all 3 seasons of Black Monday recently, and season 1 was great, although casting Andrew Rannells and Casey Wilson (although great and hilarious, but solidly in their 40s) as young 20 somethings was dubious. Season 2 and 3 turned to crap though, and Don Cheadle as the main character was deeply unlikable.

oh man. Black Monday stayed completely golden throughout that whole first season. S2 struck me as having decided to lose what little subtlety it had and i haven't even had the urge to check out 3 :(

edit: but yeah Christina Ricci is, as always, the most incredible person ever so she's making it worth it

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

edit: but yeah Christina Ricci is, as always, the most incredible person ever so she's making it worth it

Imagine being so loving talented for over 30 decades, and never really truly getting the recognition she deserves.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Free Guy was really bad. And that's coming from a guy that loves schmaltz like that. The Ryan Reynolds video game stuff was totally fine and enjoyable. It was everything in the real world that was just too cringey.

But then again my 7 year old, who has just gotten into games, loved it hands down. She got super emotional at the end and it was kinda cute.

Anyway, if you want a good self aware NPC flick go check out 2005's "Stay" with Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts and Ryan Gosling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ok so I watched uuhhh the detectorists again it was super good again

Some other stuff idk it was forgettable. I’m halfway thru bond it’s getting boring