Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Russia invading Ukraine and losing Volgograd before taking Kyiv would make me laugh so hard I think I'd implode on myself and form a singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Alchenar posted:

The local counter-attack in Donbas was mentioned earlier but looks like it's been wildly successful. Not enormously sure of the wisdom of attacking East when every HOI4 playing armchair general has assumed they should be getting ready to try to break out West but presumably there's a plan there.

https://twitter.com/AlexandruC4/status/1499012982663229441

Breaking news: Ukraine conquers Russia in shocking turnabout victory

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Jeza posted:

It's long been a talking point that conventional wars of aggression between developed powers are effectively impossible because national economies are now too tightly tied up in a globalised economy and that doing so would never be worth it economically.

Obviously Ukraine represents something of an edge case being not quite as developed and vaguely non-aligned (at at least not affiliated in a power bloc), but it's being put to the test right now. Outcomes of this conflict will huge knock-on effects around the world in terms of re-militarisation in developed nations. If Russia wins and recovers in a reasonable timeframe, it will be at the cost of one of the world's most valuable fictions.

I think both sides of the talking point are getting some ammunition at the moment. For one, the economic squeeze can be rapid and extremely punitive. For the other, the global economy is never so united that condemnation is universal, and that actors can't cut an advantage by not playing ball with sanctions.

The line of logic that “conventional wars are too costly between major states” has been both completely true and completely ignored since WW1.

The question is how you view where the cost is paid. Of course the $ and human suffering cost is immense on Russia as a whole, but that doesn’t matter to Putin. I don’t think he’s literally insane like some people suggest, he just believes that the tremendous costs are “worth it”. Of course it’s easy to make that “worth it” decision when you personally don’t feel the cost.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It would marginally slow it down. As evilweasel notes, the introduction of martial law is mostly meant to allow Russian cops to beat people up outside detainment.

I'm not convinced it'll slow it down, Russian cops already beat people up outside detainment. What it will do is make pretending things are "normal" impossible.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Alchenar posted:

The local counter-attack in Donbas was mentioned earlier but looks like it's been wildly successful. Not enormously sure of the wisdom of attacking East when every HOI4 playing armchair general has assumed they should be getting ready to try to break out West but presumably there's a plan there.

"Ohhh bluh bluh bluh they're going to get encircled, they need to pull back to Poland."

The UA is getting better intelligence than the Russians and more up to date satellites. They know what their strengths and weaknesses are. Ukraine needed something like this, a complete tactical victory that shows their army isn't just giving land without reason.

If there is going to be a pullback, it makes sense to stabilize a front and then lower your troop count on that front. If Ukraine can feel confident that Russians won't be pouring through because of commitments elsewhere, they're able to pick their battles.

The real question is whether Ukraine opts to put troops into Russia to disrupt supply and air bases. I get the feeling they aren't willing to risk the propaganda of Ukrainian troops on Russian territory, but they know better than me.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

GABA ghoul posted:

So the plan is now to let Russia rot as a hermit kingdom for 20-30 years until it completely collapses like the Soviet Union and then try to bring it back into the global community again(and not repeating the post-Soviet mistakes this time)? Jfc, this was a busy week for the world

If that is the plan I really really the hope the lessons of the 90s and shock therapy are learned otherwise my brain-in-a-jar will be posting about the second Russian invasion of Ukraine in space year 2122.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

is russia pressuring belarus to join the fighting because it wants to form its own mini "coalition of the willing" to downplay their international isolation, or at this point are they actually looking to supplement their own army? if the russians are having widespread morale and logistics problems, i can't imagine that belarusian soldiers with even less operational planning and investment in the conflict are going to be very effective

Russians run the Belarus army, basically.

ZombieLenin posted:

They are clearly more informed than I; however, I do not see how the Russian Federation can sustain it's current military operations for much more than a month, let alone 6 weeks just to take Kiev--then the rest of Ukraine--and then to sit in Ukraine for 15 or 20 years with a full-scale insurgency.

Edit

And that's not even taking into account the impact of sanctions.

I think that might be more angled in that Russia will freeze its eventually controlled land grab and build a Korea-style DMZ, which will then take decades to fall apart. Russia doesn't appear to be ready at all to wage for months a war more active than random artillery shelling.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The Nazis have stalled out once again with Kharkiv Mariupol and Kyiv still Ukranian.

idk that I'm very keen on referring to Russian forces as "the Nazis" but that's a personal thing and less of a moderation suggestion

in particular because of reports that many conscripts thought they were on exercises and had no idea they would end up invading Ukraine, kinda unfair to label all your Ivan Conscriptovich teenagers Nazis because they got forced into Putin's war

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Not totally convinced on the situation or sources, but the Luhansk People's Republic folding in a day with the only resistance being from a Russian brigade should cause some people to reassess their view as to whether this was a country with a real popular independence movement or not.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

MrYenko posted:

Russia invading Ukraine and losing Volgograd before taking Kyiv would make me laugh so hard I think I'd implode on myself and form a singularity.

Don't know. Maybe they can blow up some bridges or shell Gukovo but I don't they'll be pushing too far into Russia proper.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

i suspect they pulled back soon after.

https://twitter.com/nanditab1/status/1499044116528828422

also i suspect this will happen soon, especially with russia going full Grozny with all the cities and their maps coming out.

Pook Good Mook posted:

"Ohhh bluh bluh bluh they're going to get encircled, they need to pull back to Poland."

The UA is getting better intelligence than the Russians and more up to date satellites. They know what their strengths and weaknesses are. Ukraine needed something like this, a complete tactical victory that shows their army isn't just giving land without reason.

If there is going to be a pullback, it makes sense to stabilize a front and then lower your troop count on that front. If Ukraine can feel confident that Russians won't be pouring through because of commitments elsewhere, they're able to pick their battles.

that too. they are hitting where and when they can and loving Russians poo poo up and that buys time. also more destroyed or abandoned russian vehicles.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1499052393069260807

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jeza posted:

It's long been a talking point that conventional wars of aggression between developed powers are effectively impossible because national economies are now too tightly tied up in a globalised economy and that doing so would never be worth it economically.
It's been a talking point since before 1914, even. I think it's pretty clearly wrong, or at least it's pretty clear that national leaders don't prioritise the economy over all else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Morrow posted:

I'm not convinced it'll slow it down, Russian cops already beat people up outside detainment. What it will do is make pretending things are "normal" impossible.

With martial law, I'm essentially expecting a curfew quite soon, and significant reduction in the required decorum for Russia cops to crime it up.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Do not resist your reeducation citizens

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1499042830064680961?t=clt4oZvrPR0r3vheYHdmQw&s=19

A 1984 comparison is almost always an exaggeration. Almost always.

Edit: in English

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1499050753637457922?t=wJYZcwfSrMk9vlHEeF7uAg&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 2, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Morrow posted:

i am expecting curfews and out and out shooting protesters. my guess is the mask of "democracy" that was already half hanging off is just gonna get torn down now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Has anybody seen anything about Ukrainian attacks into Russia?

Having a few Ukrainian military units running around the Russian countryside would put even more strain on the Russian military as they'd have to send massive amounts of troops to try and deal with it.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Zephro posted:

It's been a talking point since before 1914, even. I think it's pretty clearly wrong, or at least it's pretty clear that national leaders don't prioritise the economy over all else.

Economists wonder why actors don't behave like logical, rational frictionless spheres with perfect information. News at 11.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Fritz the Horse posted:

idk that I'm very keen on referring to Russian forces as "the Nazis" but that's a personal thing and less of a moderation suggestion

in particular because of reports that many conscripts thought they were on exercises and had no idea they would end up invading Ukraine, kinda unfair to label all your Ivan Conscriptovich teenagers Nazis because they got forced into Putin's war

Alignment of an armed force is determined by its commanders, not its rank-and-file. Said leaders of Russian military are fascists at the very least, so I don't hesitate to label the army as a fascist force, until such time as the rank-and-file stops following their orders, perhaps to the degree of the Sepoy or Polkos mutinies. Not holding my breath for that

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Shes Not Impressed posted:

It's wrong. The whole field couldn't predict the soviet union collapsing without a world War and they didn't predict this.

IR is just rife with post facto Cassandra complexes (though that's even spurious because at least Cassandra was telling the truth)

As a former academic political scientist; let me just say about the entire field of IR that... let's just say that this part of the field is not too terribly accurate when they try to be predictive.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Unfortunately, as we can see, it's a big logistical cost to drive from Belarus to Kiev, Volgograd is twice as far away and I doubt Ukraine had the fuel/ammo/food dumps prepared for such an adventure, because who exactly thought that would be (or is) remotely possible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

I agree with this. Russian officers can be vilified all they long, as far as I'm concerned, but a lot of rank and file soldiers are under very real threat, for showing any disobedience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Having a few Ukrainian military units running around the Russian countryside would put even more strain on the Russian military as they'd have to send massive amounts of troops to try and deal with it.

No Ukrainians need food and fuel just as much as Russians do.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I would think they'd want to avoid that, as their whole argument is that they're defending their homes from invasion. Stopping at the border and declaring "This is Ukraine!" is enough.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Alchenar posted:

Not totally convinced on the situation or sources, but the Luhansk People's Republic folding in a day with the only resistance being from a Russian brigade should cause some people to reassess their view as to whether this was a country with a real popular independence movement or not.

Did anyone believe that?

I remember last week the "celebration" for the war on the part of the "leadership" was like 15 guys and gas-station fireworks.

There's an actual argument whether a majority of people in the Crimea want to be Russian. There was never even close to the same number of people in Eastern Ukraine who actually wanted independence. From day one the major export of the LPR was astroturf.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/2maciek/status/1498972157199765507

Can anyone give me a rundown on what the gently caress the deal with Igor Girkin is? I am aware that he's a prime suspect in shooting down MH-17, has done a bunch of war crimes, etc etc.

Trying to square that with the part where he's now a prime twitter source posting leaked Russian plans and videos of their troop movements and poo poo, does he think Putin turned on the separatists or something?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

That would be a very, very bad idea from my armchair's perspective. Russia would likely get a lot of mileage out of an invading Ukrainian armor column.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Did anyone believe that?

One forum down, etc etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Only missiles strikes. I strongly doubt any Ukrainian boots on Russian ground, especially anything more ambitious than driving 5km to shell with tanks some military airport close to LDNR-area border of Ukraine.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Zephro posted:

I'm not sure it's entirely the case that it is wrong, or that leaders don't prioritize it. One of Hitler's big goals with lebensraum and all that was to acquire enough space to build a "unified Europe" that could challenge the US economically. This also included his attempts at autarky and used the holocaust and eastern conquest as a desperate attempt to pay down those economic costs with plunder. Ultimately though their economy just couldn't stand up to the much more united and functional economy of the Allies. The same of Japan, who sought all those wars of territorial expansion to get raw materials to not be dependent on economic ties, especially those with the west. In the end, you saw the same collapse as they simply couldn't outproduce the Allies.

The issue is less prioritization, then, and more thinking "this time, we can prepare well enough to suffer the economic issues and come out the other end with enough new stuff to recover and thrive" which largely just doesn't seem to work.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/2maciek/status/1498972157199765507

Can anyone give me a rundown on what the gently caress the deal with Igor Girkin is? I am aware that he's a prime suspect in shooting down MH-17, has done a bunch of war crimes, etc etc.

Trying to square that with the part where he's now a prime twitter source posting leaked Russian plans and videos of their troop movements and poo poo, does he think Putin turned on the separatists or something?

@GirkinGirkin Twitter account is not the Igor Girkin, to best of my knowledge.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

spacetoaster posted:

It's very flat and wide open there so would be tough for Ukrainians to sneak in and stay for long, especially since Rostov is one of the most pro-Putin regions

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Could the US start delivering some Patriot missiles to to the Ukrainians? Would there be enough time to quickly train them in their use? Apparently these are great for denying entire zones to hostile aviation as well as being very useful for shooting down cruise missiles.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

our alphabet has 44 letters (sounds)
:stonk:

Good cat though.

Alchenar posted:

It is incredible that Ukraine can launch successful counterattacks at all, much less barely a week after being invaded. Gives some hope that they might be able to break some of those encirclements/developing pockets.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What are American squatting laws? How long can you squat in a sanctioned oligarch penthouse in NY or hold boat parties somewhere in Florida till it's legally yours?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Could the US start delivering some Patriot missiles to to the Ukrainians? Would there be enough time to quickly train them in their use? Apparently these are great for denying entire zones to hostile aviation as well as being very useful for shooting down cruise missiles.

Unlikely. Obviously, I'm not a Patriot operator, but my understanding is that a lot of NATO poo poo require university degree to operate, which is why we've been flooding Ukraine specifically with missile launchers that a goat farmer can be trained into over a bottle.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

if they do, we won't know until they shoot some off.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I really needed to laugh this morning. More evidence my field of study is :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/zunguzungu/status/1499021010498387980?s=20&t=WPCdiesnMH-Vg1_VyEpm9A

I really hate the American brain worms on the opposite sides of the spectrum, where countries are entirely affectd by what we do and have no agency over themselves.

It's the most paternalistic, self-centered worldview possible, so of course Americans from both extremes subscribe to it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Der_Parrot/status/1498801174895599617?s=20&t=6nanpS9wRLKWV-elAy6GwQ

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

I really hate the American brain worms on the opposite sides of the spectrum, where countries are entirely affectd by what we do and have no agency over themselves.

It's the most paternalistic, self-centered worldview possible, so of course Americans from both extremes subscribe to it.

no you see, Ukraine was Grima Wormtongue'd into resisting Russia. They are going to be so disappointed when they realize the US won't directly intervene and go to war with Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is 8 years old or something, iirc.