Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Dead or alive, that man has achieved immortality. :ukraine:

Yeah I hope, and believe at this point that this has become a situation where if this man is killed, it will only empower his cause and further immortalize him. That said, of course I'd much rather he live to see Russia slink back defeated by their ash heap of an economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Ukrainians got some interesting new toys from thr Russians

A baby drone, gently used - does this look repairable/usable? Note: the digitization is hiding a face not gore

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499074919090597896?t=X28-BlvNrU0cQNrvR_SAlw&s=19

And a big fuckoff sniper rifle

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499051427557261315?t=dmG2JeXYqzZEzwjQz9MPRA&s=19

Also comrade Bayraktar continues to patrol the skies - the below was self-propelled no visible people injured, but spoilered for sky death

:nms:
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499066555551948804?t=eqUo9-WdeBm6u8U_ji6lGQ&s=19
Edit: gently caress, did not understand that 'self propelled' didn't mean 'unmanned'

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 2, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Randarkman posted:

there is outright racism at times in how this war and resulting humanitarian crisis is commented on compared to very similar things that have happened outside of Europe, and which often the West has been complicit in.

The (fascist, financed by and allied to Russia) leader of the far right Lega party in Italy - who has been completely against humanitarian help and hospitality for refugess so far - has been so up front about this as to call these true refugees (can't find much international media coverage, but it made the rounds in Italy due to the ridiculous declarations and the change of pace compared to the usual).

We often talk about fake wars, but these are true refugees, escaping a real war, in his words.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

distortion park posted:

The Saudis haven't even returned the favour lol. Such garbage allies even if their leadership weren't pieced of poo poo in their own right

KSA is the greatest example of a "one sided aliiance"

The faster the world can switch to renewables the faster we can stop propping up that despot hellscape government

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 2, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Randarkman posted:

The comment might be talking about alot of the African countries among the abstentions though. There is hypocrisy evident in the Western response to this, and there is outright racism at times in how this war and resulting humanitarian crisis is commented on compared to very similar things that have happened outside of Europe, and which often the West has been complicit in. And then there's the reflection with Iraq in 2003 that the world would not be able to (and the West wouldn not be willing to) put up the same resistance to naked American aggression.

That's a useful, but depressing, perspective to keep in mind, even if it doesn't really change anything about the morality or legality of what's going on in Ukraine.

yeah, it's completely in "no chance at all of happening" territory, but i wish that these kind of responses would be implemented against america, saudi arabia, and israel. just as much, if not more, human suffering has been caused by each just in the last decade

i definitely don't begrudge the ukrainian's the support they're getting, but it drives home that the west doesn't really perceive or care about humanitarian crises unless it can be spun as "one of their own"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KitConstantine posted:

Also comrade Bayraktar continues to patrol the skies - the below was self-propelled so no people hurt in this strike, but spoilered for sky death

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499066555551948804?t=eqUo9-WdeBm6u8U_ji6lGQ&s=19

Uh, self-propelled artillery doesn't mean unmanned artillery

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

You can become an Apache pilot in the US army right out of high school,

No you can't.

First and foremost you must be an officer to even begin training.

There are no privates flying attack helicopters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

No you can't.

You can be a Warrant Officer, which is easier to get from Enlisted without going through Officer Candidate School.

https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/specialty-careers/aviation.html

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TulliusCicero posted:

KSA is the greatest example of a "one sided aliiance"

The faster the world can switch to renewables to faster we can stop propping up that despot hellscape government
This entire thing seems to have gotten people's lead out on the topic. I suppose the economic short-term benefits of smoking the devil's johnson with regards to Russian oil and gas have just taken a sharp turn down, and everyone's hopping on the bus. Clever of them, since now if there are two or three years of substantial economic pain they can say it's the loving Russkies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Getting 70% of the world to agree on something is kind of wild

Pretty much. It was a poll of where counties officially stand I guess, but even if it passed -which it never could- it wouldn't actually do anything.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

No you can't.

never said there were privates flying attack helicopters buddy.

you do not need need a university degree to enter street to seat. literally at 18 years old, you can sign up for the boards and if selected, you can become a warrant officer in the us army and be trained to fly attack helicopters without ever going to college.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

KitConstantine posted:

Also comrade Bayraktar continues to patrol the skies - the below was self-propelled so no people hurt in this strike, but spoilered for sky death

Self-propelled just means that it can move under it's own power (i.e. it doesn't need to be towed around), not unmanned or remotely controlled.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

self propelled means it has an engine and wheels (or tracks) it doesn't mean it's a drone

edit: beaten

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

You can be a Warrant Officer, which is easier to get from Enlisted without going through Officer Candidate School.

https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/specialty-careers/aviation.html

OctaMurk posted:

never said there were privates flying attack helicopters buddy.

you do not need need a university degree to enter street to seat. literally at 18 years old, you can sign up for the boards and if selected, you can become a warrant officer in the us army and be trained to fly attack helicopters without ever going to college.

That's what I said? Warrant Officers are an officer (not as high as a commissioned officer, but still an officer) with a long process for becoming one.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

KitConstantine posted:

The Ukrainians got some interesting new toys from thr Russians

A baby drone, gently used - does this look repairable/usable? Note: the digitization is hiding a face not gore

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499074919090597896?t=X28-BlvNrU0cQNrvR_SAlw&s=19

And a big fuckoff sniper rifle

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499051427557261315?t=dmG2JeXYqzZEzwjQz9MPRA&s=19

Is this the drone that you need to launch from a vertical rail?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

That's what I said? Warrant Officers are an officer (not as high as a commissioned officer, but still an officer) with a long process for becoming one.

Its a significantly shorter path than OCS and Comissioning.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Is this the drone that you need to launch from a vertical rail?

Yes, because that's a Pulsejet, which cannot put out enough thrust to get off the ground on its own.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

No you can't.

“High school to flight school” was a recruiting pitch in 2008. There’s an article on in from March 2020, but hell-time takes over after that so who knows now.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Randarkman posted:

Yeah as I understand it, there's a bit of a popular culture myth regarding the ease of use and reliability of Soviet equipment, it's really only true for some outstanding pieces of equipment from the 50s/60s like the T-54/55, RPG-7 and of course the Kalashnikovs. Outside of that it seems the story with much of it is that it's not reliable and breaks down alot and in general are big maintenance hogs.

I see, the "monkey model" clause.

And Saudi Arabia, as far as I can tell operate the newest versions of the M1A2 variant.

The Saudis are the only country we export the M1A2SEP variant to. This is the variant that contains the most advanced electronics packages; however, the most important detail that differentiates the export variants of the M1 from that used by the United States Army is--to my knowledge anyway--none of the export variants use the composite depleted uranium armor scheme that the American domestic use MBT does.

The exact composition and schematic layout of that depleted uranium armor is probably the most 'top secret' thing there is when it comes to the United States armored warfare forces.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 2, 2022

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

you can still enter the process as an 18 year old civilian with only a high school degree, so if thats what you said, why would you have disagreed with me?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Uh, self-propelled artillery doesn't mean unmanned artillery

Oh gently caress I did not know that, fixed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Its a significantly shorter path than OCS and Comissioning.

Correct, but you're not jumping in an apache right out of high school which is what was posted.

And in real life (not recruiting material, lol) it does take quite a while and you're going to spend a lot of time flying other, cheaper/easier, to fly aircraft first.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The key question here is 'hey, what's your missing stat?'

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

Edit: gently caress, whoops.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at here? All I see is blurry trees and some smoke?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

spacetoaster posted:

Warrant Officer Candidate School is 6 weeks, and you can go right after basic training. Your Warrant is conditional on completing flight school, which takes about a year.

I mean, I went to flight school about a year after enlisting, though I had a lot of help with my Warrant packet.

Though current policy discourages this approach, it is still possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qayyOwDGr9Q

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 2, 2022

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

This is incorrect. I had my warrant flight packet mostly complete before my dumbass let it die so I could get stationed in Italy instead of Utah.

Edit: also what I was told was your airframe is assigned after flight school, you don't work your way up from worse helicopters like it's an RPG.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1499073863296167940

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Correct, but you're not jumping in an apache right out of high school which is what was posted.

And in real life (not recruiting material, lol) it does take quite a while and you're going to spend a lot of time flying other, cheaper/easier, to fly aircraft first.

You can literally jump into the training pipeline for helicopter pilots right out of high school. It is called Street to Seat. Obviously they do not put you in an apache the very first day, ALL jobs in the military obviously require training.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Turns out sending in more men doesn't solve poo poo when you don't have the logistics to support them. Shocking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

I mean, that's how any flight training works.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

A lot of the Turkish drone stuff is being driven by the Turkish MIC and some accounts with some certain takes about the 2020 war.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jarmak posted:

This is incorrect. I had my warrant flight packet mostly complete before my dumbass let it die so I could get stationed in Italy instead of Utah.

You made the correct choice if you got to do in Italy what my buddy got to do. Which is ride a motorcycle up and down the coast for a few years and party.

Maybe I've just been with the wrong kind of aviation units for the last 20 years, but I've never seen someone graduate highschool, get handed a warrant officer rank, and start flying Apaches.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s what, ~200k going in now? Across all advances?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishBulbia posted:

A lot of the Turkish drone stuff is being driven by the Turkish MIC and some accounts with some certain takes about the 2020 war.

The Turks clearly have both a commercial and nationalist reason to publicize their drones' results.

Does it mean they are lying? The drones clearly were decisive in 2020, they are working here as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

There's a reason Russia is now trying to drag the Chechens, the Belarussians, and others into this: They need to move troops from far, far away now if they want to keep this up.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

You made the correct choice if you got to do in Italy what my buddy got to do. Which is ride a motorcycle up and down the coast for a few years and party.

Maybe I've just been with the wrong kind of aviation units for the last 20 years, but I've never seen someone graduate highschool, get handed a warrant officer rank, and start flying Apaches.

I would assume it's an extremely low probability event. Those slots would likely go to top graduates, which are likely not going to be the people with the least amount of experience going in.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Breaking and blunting the loving combined power of the former USSR to make sure Lviv is colored a different shade of yellow on the map than Kyiv

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

He says vast majority of 150k. 200k still wouldn't be enough.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

The Turks clearly have both a commercial and nationalist reason to publicize their drones' results.

Does it mean they are lying? The drones clearly were decisive in 2020, they are working here as well.

I think we can acknowledge that without fully endorsing the BAYRAKTER "Russian Puppet remover" meme poo poo considering it literally facilitated ethnic cleansing two years ago

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

OddObserver posted:

And Serbia voted Yes!?

Serbia is in the process of joining the EU and that is still supported by the majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Alchenar posted:

The key question here is 'hey, what's your missing stat?'

Given their logistic failures and disregard for the lives of their soldiers I'm not sure anyone in Russia is even keeping track of soldiers well enough to know they're MIA.

Probably only know how many are definitely KIA because the commissars personally shot 'em.