Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Currently just about to hit 10 million with an overall average of $270 per backer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well I backed the ebooks.

I've never actually read any Sanderson, I guess this is a good time to start.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Currently just about to hit 10 million with an overall average of $270 per backer.

Everyone opting for the All Books package :v: that's $260 with shipping US

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

12M now

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m probably going to go audiobook/ebook. I like the audiobook for my own listening and then I can just use the ebook for if I read it to my wife. I’m not a book collector (I know, heathen) so I wouldn’t appreciate hardcovers. Don’t have space anyway.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Some corners of the internet are raising a stink that Sanderson was insensitive to those with mental illness by presenting his being overwhelmed and stressed and the cliffhanger video structure, only to unveil a kickstarter.

Water wet, Twitter mind stupid. News at 11.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Arrath posted:

Some corners of the internet are raising a stink that Sanderson was insensitive to those with mental illness by presenting his being overwhelmed and stressed and the cliffhanger video structure, only to unveil a kickstarter.

Water wet, Twitter mind stupid. News at 11.

It's not just twitter. I shared his video with a discord I'm in some people got big mad about it.

quote:

I don't know why you would make a video that at first glance makes you look like some sort of sex offender or something

quote:

Also I get that he's being sympathetic and saying that people respond to stuff in different ways, but given my pandemic response has been lowered ability to accomplish anything, it's hard for "it was a rough time so I wrote a book" not to feel like the rub-ins.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How dare somebody focus their mental strain into something they love to do and share with others

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

The answer to the author side of things isn't a sexy one. It's systems, processes and hiring the right people. Of course the way he's gone about this from a business perspective is just phenomenal and absolute genius and I guess my YouTube video this week is going to be on deconstructing this.

Oh, that sounds interesting, I'd appreciate it if you were to drop a link to your vid when it's out.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mordiceius posted:

It's not just twitter. I shared his video with a discord I'm in some people got big mad about it.
Man some people really are crabs in a bucket

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leng posted:

The answer to the author side of things isn't a sexy one. It's systems, processes and hiring the right people. Of course the way he's gone about this from a business perspective is just phenomenal and absolute genius and I guess my YouTube video this week is going to be on deconstructing this.

there's a scalzi thing about brando's organization that just came out

https://whatever.scalzi.com/2022/03/01/very-quick-thoughts-on-brandon-sandersons-mega-kickstarter/

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah. A lot of people will make a bunch of videos about how this is the end of trade pubs and how Sanderson is the fastest writer or whatever, and it’s all a lot of hype. Compared to some self pub romance and cozy writers, he’s not even that fast, which is crazy to think about.

(He shoots for at least 2k everyday. I know a few who shoot between 5k and 10k everyday. )

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The kickstarter is already the second highest kickstarter project ever, not even a day later. It'll be the biggest by this time tomorrow.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

Oh, that sounds interesting, I'd appreciate it if you were to drop a link to your vid when it's out.

Sure, will do!

This is mostly on point but I think still missing the ultimate bigger picture of what Sanderson is doing. He's already dropped some hints in the livestream which I'm still mulling over.

Scalzi's estimates of $20-25m ish for the Kickstarter I think understates the potential.

Taffer posted:

The kickstarter is already the second highest kickstarter project ever, not even a day later. It'll be the biggest by this time tomorrow.

Here's where my thoughts were at as of ~5 hours ago, complete with spreadsheets in a Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/DeborahLau/status/1498883475025195008?t=YdWsZtTu347BCt4rB6Jb4A&s=19

TL;DR I'm betting $31.7m with 150k backers or so. And even then, I think it might be low. It depends whether his entire fanbase takes this as a long preorder, and since this is an exclusive, whether people who normally wouldn't preorder would jump on it, especially absent any covers, blurbs or details. That might tick up as he does more reveals on livestreams while the Kickstart is still live.

If it goes like a typical release week where he moves 400k copies, we're looking in the vicinity of ~$80m ish. Who knows?!

LionArcher posted:

Yeah. A lot of people will make a bunch of videos about how this is the end of trade pubs and how Sanderson is the fastest writer or whatever, and it’s all a lot of hype. Compared to some self pub romance and cozy writers, he’s not even that fast, which is crazy to think about.

(He shoots for at least 2k everyday. I know a few who shoot between 5k and 10k everyday. )

I'll get into this a bit but there is a time disadvantage when it comes to fantasy and world building. The average epic fantasy author can't put out a book every 2-4 weeks like romance authors can. Every 3 months as a new author in epic fantasy is burn out pace. 6 months is sustainable but the world building won't be deep but it'll be sufficient to meet the bar. If you look over to the self pub side at Will Wight who is pretty successful as far as self pub goes, with his own team as well, he had to take a long break for mental health when he tried pushing for more than 2 books a year.

Sanderson's been world building Cosmere for 20+ years, which is how he can smash out a v2 draft of 3 Cosmere books, plus a 4th non-Cosmere book in 2 years on top of two more Stormlight books plus Cytoverse. Skyward Flight he didn't even write - Janci Patterson wrote those and he reviewed/approved them.

He writes somewhere around 500/WPH which is where you have to be to crank out the output to write professionally. That's about as fast as I currently write.

What he's got going for him over most other authors though, is like 50 novels under his belt and sheer experience in both reading and writing. His process is super optimized because he knows exactly what works/doesn't work for him after a few decades of refining his routines.

That's not to say he gets better with every book. I'd say his last 2 releases (RoW and Cytonic), for me at least, were not as good as his previous books. But they do meet the usual quality of the Brandon Sanderson reading experience which is why I backed the Kickstarter without question and will continue to buy pretty much every book he puts out (other than the more experimental spin offs like Dark One and the audio originals) without thinking about it.

Leng fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 3, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
This seems like the exact same play music stars use, get a big enough fan base then build out your own label/publisher. Brandon Sanderson basically Taylor Swift for nerds.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
TOR must be quite nervous now. Unless they already have an agreement to publish all SA books I guess.

Something I missed (and I don't have time to watch a long live-stream), we can buy the e-books even if we don't back the kickstarter, right?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Torrannor posted:

TOR must be quite nervous now. Unless they already have an agreement to publish all SA books I guess.

Something I missed (and I don't have time to watch a long live-stream), we can buy the e-books even if we don't back the kickstarter, right?

Yes, but I don’t think he committed to day 1 release. I think the same goes for audiobooks. The physical books are the real lock in item.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It'd be cool if Dragonsteel could find a way to weave indie bookstores into the fold with all this.

Regular releases I happily buy from a local store just up the street. Can't do that with all these kickstarters though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

Unless TOR's getting a cut I'm sure they're less than happy to see all this money that isn't going to them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I backed because I prefer audiobooks nowadays, and the audiobook level is just a really fantastic price point per book.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless TOR's getting a cut I'm sure they're less than happy to see all this money that isn't going to them.

tbqh Sanderson is likely a top performer, so idk how mad they could really be

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Leng posted:

TL;DR I'm betting $31.7m with 150k backers or so. And even then, I think it might be low. It depends whether his entire fanbase takes this as a long preorder, and since this is an exclusive, whether people who normally wouldn't preorder would jump on it, especially absent any covers, blurbs or details. That might tick up as he does more reveals on livestreams while the Kickstart is still live.

If it goes like a typical release week where he moves 400k copies, we're looking in the vicinity of ~$80m ish. Who knows?!

I expect there'll be an announcement of some kind of plan to pay some of the international shipping costs to make the physical books are away boxes more accessible for non-American backers

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Wish they'd announce an option to pay like $50/month for physical books+swag instead of $600 up front but i guess that's not the kickstarter model.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

High Warlord Zog posted:

I expect there'll be an announcement of some kind of plan to pay some of the international shipping costs to make the physical books are away boxes more accessible for non-American backers

They went over this in the live stream yesterday and noted they're already eating some of the shipping costs in general, both domestically and internationally, to try and help keep them "low" but that they straight up don't have the ability to reduce beyond what they're charging unless they can somehow print the books somewhere in EMEA (long-term plan but they can't right now).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

According to rhe stream Tor guys basically said 'so we're still on normal scedule for stormlight 5? Cool.'

The big goal is to have some sort of alternative to amazon, since they currently have a lot of control of book sales, and a near monopoly on audiobooks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Solumin posted:

Well I backed the ebooks.

I've never actually read any Sanderson, I guess this is a good time to start.
Oooh, ooh! It's always a good time to start!

Do you prefer more traditional high fantasy or something more grim and modern? The Way of Kings if the former, Mistborn for the latter.

Also, Jesus gently caress, Sanderson wrote four extra books on top of his already insanely prolific output? This settles it, the dude is clearly a book-writing android who escaped from some secret Mormon lab.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just take a vacation my guy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

He just did!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, he just took 5 vacations in the last 2 years

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Invalid Validation posted:

Just take a vacation my guy.

His vacation is writing other things instead of previously planned things.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Oooh, ooh! It's always a good time to start!

Do you prefer more traditional high fantasy or something more grim and modern? The Way of Kings if the former, Mistborn for the latter.

Also, Jesus gently caress, Sanderson wrote four extra books on top of his already insanely prolific output? This settles it, the dude is clearly a book-writing android who escaped from some secret Mormon lab.

Five. He wrote five extra books, but one of them he's not 100% sure in what form it will be published. Possibly as a graphic novel. But yeah, he wrote five extra books.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

from reddit (sound on)
https://i.imgur.com/BpcXQIX.mp4

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Leng posted:

Sure, will do!

This is mostly on point but I think still missing the ultimate bigger picture of what Sanderson is doing. He's already dropped some hints in the livestream which I'm still mulling over.

Scalzi's estimates of $20-25m ish for the Kickstarter I think understates the potential.

Here's where my thoughts were at as of ~5 hours ago, complete with spreadsheets in a Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/DeborahLau/status/1498883475025195008?t=YdWsZtTu347BCt4rB6Jb4A&s=19

I'll get into this a bit but there is a time disadvantage when it comes to fantasy die to world building. The average epic fantasy author can't put out a book every 2-4 weeks like romance authors can. Every 3 months as a new author n epic fantasy is burn out pace. 6 months is sustainable but world building won't be deep but it'll be sufficient to meet the bar. If you look over to the self pub side at Will Wight who is pretty successful as far as self pub goes, with his own team as well, he had to take a long break for mental health when he tried pushing for more than 2 books a year.

Sanderson's been world building Cosmere for 20+ years, which is how he can smash out a v2 draft of 3 Cosmere books, plus a 4th non-Cosmere book in 2 years on top of two more Stormlight books plus Cytoverse. Skyward Flight he didn't even write - Janci Patterson wrote those and he reviewed/approved them.

He writes somewhere around 500/WPH which is where you have to be to crank out the output to write professionally. That's about as fast as I currently write.

What he's got going for him over most other authors though, is like 50 novels under his belt and sheer experience in both reading and writing. His process is super optimized because he knows exactly what works/doesn't work for him after a few decades of refining his routines.

That's not to say he gets better with every book. I'd say his last 2 releases (RoW and Cytonic), for me at least, were not as good as his previous books. But they do meet the usual quality of the Brandon Sanderson reading experience which is why I backed the Kickstarter without question and will continue to buy pretty much every books he puts out (other than the more experimental spin offs likes Dark One and the audio originals) without thinking about it.

While I agree in general (I've written fantasy novels before, I'm currently neck deep into outlining a 7 book main series fantasy series in a universe that could be up to 20+ books with spin offs and short stories) that fantasy can often have more legwork, this post does get close to the old "these other genres are harder than mystery/romance," and having written all of these genres, it's just not true. I think if you asked Sanderson to write a high heat romance novel, dude's output would go down. Bottom line is he's super impressive, but the fact that he's so mainstream is why so many author's see him as the writing machine (he very much is) it's just there's a lot more out there (some even more impressive) than he is, was all I was saying.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
editor: brandon please write a high heat romance novel
sanderson: *sweating profusely* n-navani, breathing deeply, slowly unzips her havah sleeve, revealing the succulent flesh underneath. "Please will you take me" she says seductively, and with Passion. The Passion of the Ten Fools.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

LionArcher posted:

While I agree in general (I've written fantasy novels before, I'm currently neck deep into outlining a 7 book main series fantasy series in a universe that could be up to 20+ books with spin offs and short stories) that fantasy can often have more legwork, this post does get close to the old "these other genres are harder than mystery/romance," and having written all of these genres, it's just not true. I think if you asked Sanderson to write a high heat romance novel, dude's output would go down. Bottom line is he's super impressive, but the fact that he's so mainstream is why so many author's see him as the writing machine (he very much is) it's just there's a lot more out there (some even more impressive) than he is, was all I was saying.

Sorry! I should clarify I'm not saying that epic fantasy is "harder" to write vs another genre. Or should I say high fantasy as opposed to low fantasy? What I'm saying is that it is more time consuming because the bare minimum level of world building that readers of that genre expect you to have done is higher compared to the level of world building (i.e. substitute with research) in another genre like romance or mystery. Honestly I suspect historical fiction would take the longest, simply because of the balance you have to strike between historical accuracy and artistic liberties.

I don't think Sanderson's output would go down if he got forced to write a high heat romance. There's a lot of romance in his books, actually, it just doesn't tend to be the main focus of the books and isn't his strong suit. A Sanderson steamy romance would probably go much the same as his attempt at imitating GRRM: the quality would absolutely tank through the floor but I think he'd still get his drafts done at the same pace. :v:

EDIT: wow I just noticed so many phone posting typos in my last post, I'm gonna go back and fix those.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So the first Secret Project book is Brandon’s take on The Princess Bride. A story of a princess being told by Hoid/Wit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Furthermore, he's posted a video of himself reading the first 5 chapters on the youtubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBUVXcIE0E0

But as was recently discussed... I kinda don't like listening to his readings, so I think I'm just gonna wait until 2023

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Sab669 posted:

But as was recently discussed... I kinda don't like listening to his readings, so I think I'm just gonna wait until 2023

He also put up the chapters on his website, if you just want to read them. There’s also a little more at the end about his influences for this story.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh cool so the first book is finally introducing aethers, which brandon keeps saying is a very important cosmere magic system (/sentient beings?) but we have never seen in anything except a brief mention in passing in stormlight