Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sauce up to #4 overall.
https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1498337147845111811

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Greg Dulcich TE1 over McBride, Ruckert, Likely, etc.? That seems like a huge surprise.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

It seems like he's either liking the defensive line class more or the cornerback class less as well, but it seems like the cornerback class beyond the top two guys is good? Maybe there's something I'm missing

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Professor Funk posted:

Greg Dulcich TE1 over McBride, Ruckert, Likely, etc.? That seems like a huge surprise.

Ruckert should be TE1. I don't rarely get to homer this, but I think it's loving insane he's not being talked about more. Dude mossed Penn State's day 1 safety prospect for an entire game and has the OJ Howard thing where he just inexplicably doesn't get thrown to enough but always does something with it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think there's no bigger flip flop during the draft process from pundits than these couple days before the combine and the couple days after, outweighs the couple days before the draft when everyone knows the picks

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/tylerjschoon/status/1497724278208225281?t=t44ya7nPGWIKFZ4Xwb8wWQ&s=19

Luiji Vilain

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I prefer Smoke Monday as 2022 draft class best football name, but that's definitely a contender.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Isn't that just Waluigi

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Woozie66 posted:

Isn't that just Waluigi

Waluigi isn't a villain he's just a weird Italian guy who likes sports. The final boss of Luigi's Mansion would be more of a villain than him

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/KohlsKicking/status/1496979501053620230?t=88NViKPAUrgBLosBSerifw&s=19

We got competition for P1

Also Kohl's has a kicking camp for some reason

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love Kevin Huber but he's clearly lost some of his power the last couple years. If the Bengals have a good free agency I definitely wouldn't be against them using a sixth on a dude with a big leg. A booming punter in addition to Evan McPherson would really allow the Bengals to control field position, which was occasionally an issue for them throughout the prior year.

The special teams coach really doesn't want to gently caress with the holding unit though, for field goals. They haven't had an unrecoverable snap in like 10 years so that's probably a fair point. Clark Harris MVP.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

What do we feel about the accuracy of this tweet? Are these the relevant combine tests for those following the position groups from home?

https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1498658043549999107

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Adam Jones and Solomon Wilcox do a podcast about the Bengals, and their most recent one they talk about combine experiences. It's pretty loving funny, starts at almost exactly 20 min in.

https://bleav.com/shows/bleav-in-bengals/episodes/pre-combine-show-fa-needs/

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Pac Man Jones has a podcast?! I had no idea. That owns.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1498719241897320449?t=BsCsSk3E84VuO49nc47TCA&s=19

Kyle Phillips is the UCLA receiver that cooked Stingley for a touchdown in week one last year

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chucktesla posted:

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1498719241897320449?t=BsCsSk3E84VuO49nc47TCA&s=19

Kyle Phillips is the UCLA receiver that cooked Stingley for a touchdown in week one last year

That doesn’t mean a whole lot because Stingley, along with the rest of the LSU defense, was just loving awful in 2020.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hate Steve Palazzolo. He's one of the few people in any arena, sports politics or otherwise that I actively troll around because I think he sucks. Please tear this apart I hope he's wildly wrong.

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1498417736719876097

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Looks okay to me, maybe don't take a safety at number 2 but Kyle Hamilton is a rare type of dude so I don't hate it for Detroit

E just noticed Trent McDuffie at 8. Lol

Chucktesla fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 1, 2022

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Seems to be a lot of chatter that Ekwonu, Hutchinson, and Hamilton could be the top 3.

Breer talked up Ekwonu being a Baalke and Peterson type of lineman if they want to prioritize saving Trevor Lawrence's life. Kiper had him 1st.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Daniel Jeremiah has Tulsa offensive tackle Tyler Smith as like his 25th ranked prospect so I went to find a quick profile of him

Bleacher Report posted:

NEGATIVES

— Stands straight up with low hand carriage in his pass sets.

— Erratic, wild strike timing and hand placement.

— Has an upkick out of his stance that forces him to open his hips towards wide rush angles, creating buttery soft edges.

— Winds up and wraps his hands around defenders in the run game, routinely giving up his chest and turning blocks into a wrestling match.

— Leans and doesn't reset his hands quickly enough, limiting his ability to stay centered on blocks.

— Takes bad angles on the move when attempting to line up smaller targets.

— Brutal tape against Houston and edge-rusher David Anenih.

Sounds like he doesn't know how to play football. What are we doing here

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Brandon Thorn does the BR offensive lineman writeups, right? If so, I trust what he says 100x more than Daniel Jeremiah (who I like a lot, just Thorn is particularly awesome when it comes to offensive/defensive line play).

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Chucktesla posted:

Daniel Jeremiah has Tulsa offensive tackle Tyler Smith as like his 25th ranked prospect so I went to find a quick profile of him

Sounds like he doesn't know how to play football. What are we doing here

Going after a tasty tackle, what with those buttery soft edges. Just yum.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

Looks okay to me, maybe don't take a safety at number 2 but Kyle Hamilton is a rare type of dude so I don't hate it for Detroit

E just noticed Trent McDuffie at 8. Lol

Hamilton is an Earl Thomas/Eric Berry caliber safety prospect. It's fine.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Seems to be a lot of chatter that Ekwonu, Hutchinson, and Hamilton could be the top 3.

Breer talked up Ekwonu being a Baalke and Peterson type of lineman if they want to prioritize saving Trevor Lawrence's life. Kiper had him 1st.

Ekwonu is a very high floor and good mover, so this makes sense. Neal would be a decent mauler, but I'm worried about his ability to move around like Doug would want. Cross is athletic enough but hasn't mashed enough to feel confident with how Doug structures a run game. Your worst case with him is having an elite guard so I sort of get it.

Professor Funk posted:

Brandon Thorn does the BR offensive lineman writeups, right? If so, I trust what he says 100x more than Daniel Jeremiah (who I like a lot, just Thorn is particularly awesome when it comes to offensive/defensive line play).

Yeah, BR has the best set of takes on OL/DL/WR/QB right now. Jeremiah is going extreme galaxy brain right now trying to front-run guys he thinks will test well at the combine.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That doesn’t mean a whole lot because Stingley, along with the rest of the LSU defense, was just loving awful in 2020.

Cooking Stingley in 2020 is essentially saying a guy beat man coverage once--dude didn't have help that whole year and was hurt to boot. He looks like a decent sleeper receiver prospect, but I also see a dude who is essentially taking 5 steps to change direction which doesn't make me feel great. You can get away with 3-4 if you're consistent and use them as a feint but more than that and I just assume you have some stiff ankles and hips where you can't cut on a dime.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

What do we feel about the accuracy of this tweet? Are these the relevant combine tests for those following the position groups from home?

https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1498658043549999107

He bases it off of this https://underdognetwork.com/football/2022-nfl-combine-why-it-matters which isn't that bad. It's subjective analysis after the fact with stepwise regression models but that's about the best way to do it, I think. Or in simple terms you have to set some sort of standard variable like starts x amount of games or has y amount of yards then run it through SPSS (stats software) against all combine scores to see if there's significance (a reliable pattern) between the drill and NFL production. Then you have to keep doing it as the years go by to see if the trend continues.

Problem with that is I don't believe athletes started seriously training for the combine until Peyton/Leaf and even then the 40 was overvalued for way too many years. Everyone's also athletic as gently caress now since kids train from a starting age and you're basically comparing past data sets to athletes that have rapidly changed in a short amount of time. I haven't done that research in years but I'm willing to bet more teams are trending towards college production again since meeting a minimum athletic ability is relatively easier to find now.

Either way I believe earnestly still that no combine drills matter. It's not what score you get, it's how you look getting it. Even then if everyone's athletic as gently caress now the real correlation between combine scores and NFL success is just simply playing time.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Also a sort of handy combine numbers article. Breaks down the expected benchmarks that plays at various positions are.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/...tle-bench-press

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Doltos posted:

He bases it off of this https://underdognetwork.com/football/2022-nfl-combine-why-it-matters which isn't that bad. It's subjective analysis after the fact with stepwise regression models but that's about the best way to do it, I think. Or in simple terms you have to set some sort of standard variable like starts x amount of games or has y amount of yards then run it through SPSS (stats software) against all combine scores to see if there's significance (a reliable pattern) between the drill and NFL production. Then you have to keep doing it as the years go by to see if the trend continues.

Problem with that is I don't believe athletes started seriously training for the combine until Peyton/Leaf and even then the 40 was overvalued for way too many years. Everyone's also athletic as gently caress now since kids train from a starting age and you're basically comparing past data sets to athletes that have rapidly changed in a short amount of time. I haven't done that research in years but I'm willing to bet more teams are trending towards college production again since meeting a minimum athletic ability is relatively easier to find now.

Either way I believe earnestly still that no combine drills matter. It's not what score you get, it's how you look getting it. Even then if everyone's athletic as gently caress now the real correlation between combine scores and NFL success is just simply playing time.

I don't take quite as dim of a view of it as this, but I do think that essentially it's only ever going to be a lagging indicator that takes extensive modeling to get useful numbers which are still beneath what tape and interviews can give you.. That said, there is such a thing as the combine eye test. Kwity Paye? Moved exactly on that 3 cone as he did on the field. John Ross? Clearly can't replicate his highest end speed consistently in the NFL because he essentially has to be untouched prior to 20 yards, which you can see in his gait and confirm with how he ran the 40. Does either instance make the number unimpressive? No, but it's essentially a good way to gut check if a guy who looks physically dominant against lower competition actually is so and an even better way to induce confirmation bias in scouts about who is the best x.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

I don't take quite as dim of a view of it as this, but I do think that essentially it's only ever going to be a lagging indicator that takes extensive modeling to get useful numbers which are still beneath what tape and interviews can give you.. That said, there is such a thing as the combine eye test. Kwity Paye? Moved exactly on that 3 cone as he did on the field. John Ross? Clearly can't replicate his highest end speed consistently in the NFL because he essentially has to be untouched prior to 20 yards, which you can see in his gait and confirm with how he ran the 40. Does either instance make the number unimpressive? No, but it's essentially a good way to gut check if a guy who looks physically dominant against lower competition actually is so and an even better way to induce confirmation bias in scouts about who is the best x.

Yeah when I say it's meaningless I mean more in the data end of it than the how they run the drill part of it. I like seeing skill positions have good change of direction that looks fluid. I like wide receivers showing proper form in the gauntlet. I just don't like judging an solely OT by how he looks doing one on one drills. I still think it's ridiculous they don't do pressure plate tests for linemen and corners. There's just no progression in the combine over the years because I feel like they're terrified of removing drills. They also can't run team drills because god forgive someone tangles up and tears an ACL.

Main issue is always just the sweeping statements pundits make to sound like they figured out the draft when this poo poo is chaos incarnate. Imagine being a DE and seeing some twerp write that you need to be able to jump far in order to be worth a high pick. Or that the position you play is worthless because you're just going to get hurt, meanwhile you got through every level playing every game. It just feels like draft pundits have to write like this in order to get success.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Bengals drafted an offensive tackle who hadn't missed a series due to injury through high school or college and he played, like, a half dozen games his first two years. I don't really think there's a way to predict injury.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

If production is what matters, then why did Curtis Weaver go in the 5th? Explain yourself, Dalton!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If production is what matters, then why’d Andy Dalton go in the 2nd? Explain yourself, Curtis!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If you like Brandon Thorn, his OL writeups require a sub I think.
https://trenchwarfare.substack.com/p/ol-scouting-notebook-senior-bowl?s=r

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kiimo posted:

I hate Steve Palazzolo. He's one of the few people in any arena, sports politics or otherwise that I actively troll around because I think he sucks. Please tear this apart I hope he's wildly wrong.

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1498417736719876097

Watched a video on George Karlaftis the other day and him in the top ten is mind-blowing to me. Dude is incredibly limited. He has a bull rush and sometimes uses his hands well, and a spin move that doesn't work. That's it. He is so stiff, so slow, so not agile. No bend. Not very tall or long.

I just don't think that bull rush necessarily translates as well to the pros. He's a unique prospect for sure, but him being in the top 10 seems crazy to me just due to his limitations. If you can't actually threaten the edge, that makes a tackle's job SO much easier. Just get low and set against him and you will stop him as long as you're careful with your hands.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll be very surprised if Denver spends the number 9 on a non-quarterback. I feel like that pick is either getting dealt or they fall in love with a QB prospect.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 2, 2022

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Play posted:

Watched a video on George Karlaftis the other day and him in the top ten is mind-blowing to me. Dude is incredibly limited. He has a bull rush and sometimes uses his hands well, and a spin move that doesn't work. That's it. He is so stiff, so slow, so not agile. No bend. Not very tall or long.

I just don't think that bull rush necessarily translates as well to the pros. He's a unique prospect for sure, but him being in the top 10 seems crazy to me just due to his limitations. If you can't actually threaten the edge, that makes a tackle's job SO much easier. Just get low and set against him and you will stop him as long as you're careful with your hands.

Pretty sure I watched the exact same video. It is true that he's not agile or a speed rusher that can dip and rip/bend, but he gets under blocks and does some incredible hand work/pad level which is undervalued on a highlight tape. When I value edge guys, I like to think about second order effects. If a power rusher doesn't get home but walks a tackle or guard back on a bull rush, that messes up a pocket even if a tackle isn't explicitly made. If a speed rusher bends around and doesn't get home, he's essentially out of the play on a crackback at the next level. I would agree that in a good edge class, he's probably closer to mid-late 1st, but this is a class where people are fawning over Hutchison who is objectively stiffer and less powerful when they have the same tendencies. The only guy I see with an elite bend in this class is Thibs right now.

Really, my biggest gripe is with Purdue's DL coach, because whoever taught him that spin move or to hip dip fundamentally misunderstands him as a piece. NFL coaches should theoretically beat that out of him and get him more focused. You can, in fact, bull, scissor, swim, or occasionally long-arm a T's outside shoulder and close an edge, but whoever worked with him seemed enamored with trying to get him to disengage/run free with his pad level instead of just doing what he's good at and making those elite--versatility for the sake of versatility being a problem. He's a good 5-tech who could maybe become a 4 if the LB/S behind him is fast and reactive enough to clean up whatever comes out because I just don't trust him disengaging with enough space to react and hit a ball carrier in the gap off of a bull rush, or you could run some 3-4/5-2 looking fits where he's got an edge rusher outside of him. He's limited in the sense that there's only a couple places you'll want to play him, but the thing he does is so rare and useful that I don't hate people calling him top 10 in this class.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

If you like Brandon Thorn, his OL writeups require a sub I think.
https://trenchwarfare.substack.com/p/ol-scouting-notebook-senior-bowl?s=r

That you for sharing!

quote:

7.5-7.9: Potential impact player/Second round

52. Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota (7.6)

HEIGHT: 6'8 1/8"

WEIGHT: 387

POSITIVES

— Smooth mover at 387 pounds, with light feet to get out of his stance and to his spot quickly in his 45-degree pass sets.

— Massive mountain of a man who can blot out defenders once he gets his hands on them with the body control to mirror and stay attached to blocks (play-action jump sets, second level).

— Shows good mobility, pad level and easy power in the run game on down and kick-out blocks to cave in and move defenders off the spot.

— Good athletic ability and fluidity on his backside cutoffs and climbs to the second level to line up moving targets with the length and heavy-handedness to deliver jolt on contact.

— Excels using the gallop technique to knock over and feed the 3-technique on Deuce blocks and double-teams.

— Well-versed run-blocker with experience executing a diverse blend of concepts in Minnesota's multiple run scheme.

NEGATIVES

— Persistently oversets widely aligned rushers to open the door for inside counters. Tardy redirecting, power stepping and cutting off inside penetration.

— Needs to have better control on rushers up the arc to prevent losing late inside at the top of the quarterback's drop.

— Can let his pads rise and hands get wide on initial contact, which can lead to a delayed anchor against the bull rush.

2021 STATISTICS

— 12 starts at right tackle.

— First-team All-Big Ten selection.

NOTES

— Originally from Melbourne, Australia, where he played basketball and rugby before moving to Florida to attend IMG Academy. Played one year of football there before committing to Minnesota.

— 31 career starts at right tackle.

— Played the bulk of his college career at 400 pounds before dropping around 25 pounds prior to the 2021 season to improve his movement skills.

OVERALL

Faalele is a three-year starter for offensive line coach Brian Callahan inside Minnesota's multiple run scheme. He has an enormous, thick frame and build with strikingly light feet and ease of movement out of his stance and out in space as a lead blocker.

Faalele has been an impact run-blocker for the Gophers with the pad level and power to cave in defenders on down blocks to create massive lanes on off-tackle runs and widen defensive ends on frontside kick-out blocks. He shows an impressive understanding of how to track smaller targets by adjusting his angle when necessary, with heavy hands to deliver knockback power on contact.

Faalele uses good quickness out of his stance on 45-degree and jump sets to get to his spot, cover up rushers and stay leveraged on blocks once engaged. However, he does have a bad habit of oversetting widely aligned rushers, with a need to play inside-out more consistently to avoid opening the door inside. Faalele's hands are powerful, but his strike timing and placement (wide) are inconsistent, allowing crafty rushers easy access to his frame.

Overall, Faalele has an enticing blend of size, ease of movement and natural power with some notable refinement as a run-blocker. He will likely need to have some schemed help as a pass protector for his first few years as a starter while he refines his set points and use of hands, but his relative lack of time playing football and tools suggest he can continue improving the finer aspects of the position while being an asset in the run game right away.

GRADE: 7.6 (Potential Impact Player - 2nd Round)

OVERALL RANK: 52

POSITION RANK: OT6

PRO COMPARISON: Jordan Mailata

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's two offensive coaches named brian callahan? oh boy

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That you for sharing!

I hope whoever picks him runs those six offensive lineman packages for run plays. The idea of that dude lining up next to another offensive tackle and just road grading sounds hilarious.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That you for sharing!

missing a very important stat in that breakdown

https://twitter.com/SchutteCFB/status/1476042363453726720?s=20&t=LFaiDdQ6VfPfXjI8ao_YbQ

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1499113641840369676

So, love the "DATA SCIENCE" guys rehashing the old racist QB tropes, but it's also really funny considering like 80% of his best plays at Liberty are him having to feel his way around the play because the offense doesn't adjust. Like, no matter how talented you are, you cannot outplay the structure of the offense, and Freeze does the old Brian Kelly thing where he doesn't allow his QBs to audible or go hot at the line which means everything you do will have to be reactive. I have to imagine an athlete of Willis' caliber getting to dissect actual plays, protections, and coverages and describe what he would like to do is like a Border Collie suddenly getting a yard after years of apartment living. There's plenty of reasons to hate Willis' game mechanically or in some decision-making, but there's not much on tape in terms of head scratching throws or missed reads that look worse than anyone else in this class, particularly when you know he had to force it a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Did Hugh freeze change his offense going from high school to college, like, at all