Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

Um, no. He literally can't do that. People screaming about freedom of the press would be absolutely right.

That post might not have been made in the most serious tone, hence the references to zombies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1499098349227712515

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Judakel posted:

How is it relevant that it is a Fox News source when the post they are referring to is real?

Given the updated context provided here:

KitConstantine posted:

Unfortunately, it's real. I found the facebook post and the page seems to be legit - created in 2015, lots of posts, etc.

This is just one branch of the army though, and it's the most hardcore guys. I suspect it's a bad cop thing - can't be killed for manning artillery if you run the gently caress away.

Edit: The post if you want proof
I have a feeling it'll end up getting taken down though. I hope so :sigh:

And given that it specifically calls out artillery groups who are actively targeting civilians (which is also a war crime) in their home country, I'm gonna find it hard to blame them for the outpouring of rage. Especially as Putin begins to double down on the tactics he's employed in Syria, Chechnya, Georgia and others including: Purposeful targeting of hospitals and civilian homes, I'd be pretty pissed if I found the people doing such.

Frankly, thusfar, we've largely seen positive trends with Ukrainian treatment of POWs, so I will continue to take it with a grain of salt.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That account is giving off a somewhat trashy vibe, especially the nuclear reactor part, and how it was presented.

anonymous is all brand and no action. oo they hacked a satellite to predict its orbital trajectory, a satellite which is constantly broadcasting its location and the datetime for all to hear

it all sounds cool for people who think hacking is injecting the mainframe or whatever

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Judakel posted:

I ask because I've seen some videos of POWs getting slapped around.

Hey, I frequently find myself disagreeing with your posts, but, you're one of the only people right now who's consistently posting in both the CSPAM and D&D threads on this. As far as I understand it, I find your view on the situation to be thought provoking in places and I appreciate you taking the time to occupy both spaces because the differing pushback you get on similar ideas is informative to me as to certain things about how some of the people responding to you are inferring media narratives.

For me this war is an awful situation for a bunch of people some of whom I am in direct contact with and have emotional and intellectual friendships with, but which is operating on a global scale such that I do not assume my ferret brain is capable of piecing together causality, I can only observe and try to learn.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

How are u posted:

loving up saboteurs and spies isn't a war crime.

Dude, judakel sucks big time but it sucks even more to beat on or otherwise abuse prisoners. You don't have to defend it to tell him to eat poo poo.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Given the updated context provided here:

And given that it specifically calls out artillery groups who are actively targeting civilians (which is also a war crime) in their home country, I'm gonna find it hard to blame them for the outpouring of rage. Especially as Putin begins to double down on the tactics he's employed in Syria, Chechnya, Georgia and others including: Purposeful targeting of hospitals and civilian homes, I'd be pretty pissed if I found the people doing such.

Frankly, thusfar, we've largely seen positive trends with Ukrainian treatment of POWs, so I will continue to take it with a grain of salt.

It is still a war crime, whether you can blame them or not. Two groups committing war crimes. Let's hope those positive trends continue.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Likely in response to the US' SOTU sanctions and commencement of Operation KLEPTOCAPTURE :getin:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

anonymous is all brand and no action. oo they hacked a satellite to predict its orbital trajectory, a satellite which is constantly broadcasting its location and the datetime for all to hear

it all sounds cool for people who think hacking is injecting the mainframe or whatever

Yeah but did you see the pics in that tweet? all that green text on a black background, that's how you know it's some serious hacking poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Judakel posted:

It is still a war crime, whether you can blame them or not. Two groups committing war crimes. Let's hope those positive trends continue.

One of which is actively being invaded by a force intending to round up people and either try them or kill them, and also a force FAMOUS for ethnic cleansing in every operation they've conducted in the past. Not gonna lie, the Ukrainians have my sympathy far more.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Judakel posted:

Nope, you are incorrect.

It would be a war crime if there was any evidence that they have actually done it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cabbages and Kings posted:

As far as I understand it, I find your view on the situation to be thought provoking

Hm

Judakel posted:

the insurgency we arm will send some of those weapons back west to arm their fellow right wing freaks just an migrants crisis get really bad and their popular gets really high

Judakel posted:

a lot of them are banderites

Judakel posted:

your boys in d&d want to give rightwing militias weapons

Judakel posted:

just mainlining ukrainian propaganda lmao

Indeed what a "valuable" and "fascinating" font of insight.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Judakel posted:

Ah yes, the UN Convention Against Shitposting.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Valentin posted:

that classic great power, constantly engaging in proxy wars: the mysterious and perfidious East...

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Saladman posted:

RT reporting ~2000 Russian casualties, 500 KIA ~1600 injured. And that's the Russian reported number of their own casualties--so what is that, like 3% of their active invasion force? Seems like a lot for a modern war. Isn't that the equivalent of like 5 years of combat casualties for the US in Afghanistan at the height of the war there?

Afghanistan and Iraq were low intensity anti-insurgency operations. You can't compare at all.* It seems like reasonable numbers I guess...?

*Also you are completely wrong, depending on what years you choose to compare with. And you are forgetting that countries was heavily engaged In those two conflicts and took casualites as well.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Students getting turned away from the border for not being Ukranian has been reported on by reputable sources with quotes from actual students and some of them are blaming their own government for not making the proper arrangements to get them out instead of Ukraine so I don't think they have ulterior motives here. There's also charities to help get the international students stranded at the border out because this was a noted problem even before it started getting reported on by news. It really sucks if Russia is trying to use this as justification for more atrocities but I wouldn't dismiss that racism is happening at all in a situation like this where tensions are very high.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/28/...m_medium=social

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean hopefully policy towards POWs isn't going to be driven by some vicious spec ops motherfuckers.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Apologies if it's been solved already, but it's the rear undercarriage of a Russian T-90. What's visible of the hatch and surrounding lumpy bits is spot-on.

The Ukrainian T-64 has no such hatch or structural elements fore or aft:

Awesome, I knew you guys wouldn't let me down. T-90 was the first description I saw of the image too. Well good, it's funnier if it's a Russian tank upside-down in a river anyway, even if it is an old picture from somewhere else.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I never really read RT but the front page articles in English are...kind of OK? Like they also report about Russia being hammered in the UN GA vote. This is way less biased than say, Breitbart.

https://www.rt.com/news/551092-un-resolution-condemns-russian-ukraine-invasion/

"The only votes against the resolution were cast by Belarus, Syria, North Korea, Eritrea, and Russia itself."

That's some real good friends you've got there Russia. Not even Serbia, Iran, Cuba, or Kazakhstan's got your back.

VVVVV: Maybe Biden really was talking about the Iranian people after all.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I think Ahmadinejad just likes using Twitter to make Western heads explode. In 2020 he was quoting rap lyrics in support in support of Black Lives Matter.

https://twitter.com/ahmadinejad1956/status/1051937106392752129
https://twitter.com/ahmadinejad1956/status/1266442131763331072

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

One of which is actively being invaded by a force intending to round up people and either try them or kill them, and also a force FAMOUS for ethnic cleansing in every operation they've conducted in the past. Not gonna lie, the Ukrainians have my sympathy far more.

No one asked who you were sympathetic to. Maybe war crimes are bad even if you like the war crime committer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

yellowyams posted:

Students getting turned away from the border for not being Ukranian has been reported on by reputable sources with quotes from actual students and some of them are blaming their own government for not making the proper arrangements to get them out instead of Ukraine so I don't think they have ulterior motives here. There's also charities to help get the international students stranded at the border out because this was a noted problem even before it started getting reported on by news. It really sucks if Russia is trying to use this as justification for more atrocities but I wouldn't dismiss that racism is happening at all in a situation like this where tensions are very high.

There's been well documented cases of racism against non-white refugees at the border, unfortunately. Yeah, it needs to be called out, but the idea that Russia would be safer for them is laughable.

Minenfeld! posted:

No one asked who you were sympathetic to. Maybe war crimes are bad even if you like the war crime committer.

I think we're done here discussing hypothetical war crimes being brought up with a poster with an obvious bias that he is unwilling to admit to. At least I openly admitted my bias. Its freaking concern trolling.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 2, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Hm

Indeed what a "valuable" and "fascinating" font of insight.

What the gently caress is a banderite?

Is it some obscure Alt-right/ tanky poo poo or is it actually a real thing?

Honestly never heard of it.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/C_Barraud/status/1499098820520652802

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1499100161368367105

:(

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

There's been well documented cases of racism against non-white refugees at the border, unfortunately. Yeah, it needs to be called out, but the idea that Russia would be safer for them is laughable.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree about that. Just wanted to push back on the idea that the reports about these events were all propaganda.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Problematic ukranian hero/criminal depending on who you ask: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Bandera

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Telsa Cola posted:

Nope, you are incorrect.

It would be a war crime if there was any evidence that they have actually done it.

Correct, we are talking about the possibility that they DO those things. In such a scenario, I happen to think it is inexcusable and CommieGIR is somewhat sympathetic.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Look up stuff like this before you ask maybe?

There was a guy called Stepan Bandera and his relationship to current and past Ukrainian nationalism is, let's just say, problematic.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

William Bear posted:

I think Ahmadinejad just likes using Twitter to make Western heads explode. In 2020 he was quoting rap lyrics in support in support of Black Lives Matter.

this may be true but i prefer to live in a world where mahmoud ahmadinejad is a sincere fan of 90's west coast rap

Judakel posted:

Correct, we are talking about the possibility that they DO those things. In such a scenario, I happen to think it is inexcusable and CommieGIR is somewhat sympathetic.

:shrug: by the same hand it is hard not to think you're sympathetic toward indiscriminate shelling of ukrainian civilians

you did recently cop a ban for applauding the death of a forums poster's family member, which is wildly online-brained and ghoulish

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 2, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/ahmadinejad1956/status/1051937106392752129
https://twitter.com/ahmadinejad1956/status/1266442131763331072

Ahmadinejad is the inverse of US leftists, in that he's so anti-American in foreign policy that he assumes any internal counterculture in the US is good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Judakel posted:

Take the concern trolling elsewhere Judakel.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

lol, delisted. Lukoil too.

I had a couple giggle shares from before the war and I don't care I lost. gently caress em.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

TulliusCicero posted:

It's a thing that Russian nationalists say about Ukrainian nationalists to accuse them of being of the ideology of a famous (long dead) antisemitic Ukrainian nationalist. Russian twitter bots have convinced the more unhinged parts of leftist twitter to start throwing it at a government led by a Jewish man, somehow.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 2, 2022

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Judakel posted:

"If you assume I'm right, I'm totally right, and everyone against me is evil". Solid argument.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Stepan Bandera was a WW2 Ukrainian nationalist who among other things collaborated with nazis. (Also was involved in terrorism against Poles and even some Ukrainians). Crazy Svoboda types like him, but Russia loves labeling anyone who supports Ukrainian independence as a banderite (which is rather counterproductive to forming accurate historical memory of how awful he was).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TulliusCicero posted:

Check the guy tweeting it: Fox News Business and producer for Larry Kudlow :thunk:

Also it's a link to a facebook page

Now, what country is good at creating fake facebook accounts to spread disinformation? :thunk:

It's 100% a real official facebook page. It's also 100% psyop posturing. At the very same time, through different channels, AFU promise Russian soldiers who surrender 5 mil. roubles and pay for the ticket back home when everything is over. Some of the videos with Russian POWs are troubling, make no mistake. And the fact that those videos exist is not entirely legal either. It is, however, doesn't look like POWs are in immediate danger, as at the very least they are needed to pressure people in Russia to protest against the war, and will be useful if it comes down to prisoner exchange.

There are much more worrying videos of alleged marauders being stripped naked, tied to lamp posts, beaten with belts, etc. Not going to post any but Unian has a lot of examples on their TG channel with snarky captions. By all accounts, there is no massive looting going, and it's all isolated instances, where either local civilians or volunteers, sometime with support of territorial defence, apprehend someone suspicious and go way overboard.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

yellowyams posted:

That's at the border, and I don't deny it.

The propaganda being spread is that foreigners aren't allowed to leave Ukrainian cities under active bombardment

Different situation

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Officially 100 000 came to Hungary so far, and the government expects/was calculating with about 600 000 total. There is enough donations and volunteers (at least for now), the whole process of helping and supplying them is getting more and more organized.
We ended up helping a few refugees from home last night, as they get internet access at the place where they stay. We assist them with planning their trip to relatives in Europe and book tickets for them online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I guess Vlad's last check to Fox News went through after all.