Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Facebook Aunt posted:

Warlocks are pretty weird too. Only the coolest, most charismatic people sell their souls for power, lol. That's certainly not something incel losers in mom's basement ever try to do. I guess high charisma helps the extraplanar entity notice you.

Or it's just a quirk of the spell casting system. Wisdom would be pretty iffy, a high wisdom character should make their insight check against the whole deal if their patron has nefarious plans for them. Intelligence could work pretty well for guys who seek out the deal rather than being approached by their patron. Maybe the would-be Int warlocks tend to get eaten by the things they try to summon for deals.

It's also possible you're conflating cause and effect. Being infused with extra-planar powers would probably give just about anyone a major boost in confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How complicated is it playing a Ranger?

I've made a Monk, which I love and a Druid, which I also like a lot too.

I find the two rather simple in what I can and can't do and the use of their bonus action and action in general is pretty straight forward (drunken master and circle of stars respectively).

I'm joining a in person game soon and I've got an idea for an eventual Beast Barbarian, which again seems pretty cut and dry or a Swashbuckler Rogue which feels a touch too complicated.

I was also eyeing Ranger, but I feel like there's a lot going on there between the spells and concentration and the ranged or melee combat. I thought either Beast Master with the optional variant rules would be neat, but I keep reading it has to be a Druidic Warrior which feels more complicated than I care to organize. The Drake Warden seems neat too, but the coolest is clearly the Horizon Walker, but again it just seems to have a ton of stuff going on. I don't know if I could keep track of so many things to be honest or am I just looking at it wrong?

There are a few things going on, but you can write yourself a checklist for your average combat encounter. It's only complicated if you're having to looks through a bunch different spots on your character sheet each time you make an attack.

Lets assume a 5th level horizon walker who uses a longbow and has 16 dexterity:
    Round 1
    Bonus action - cast Hunter's mark and choose your target
    Not an action - choose the same guy as your target for your Planar Warrior ability this turn,
    Action - shoot that guy
    If you hit that guy takes 1d8+3 longbow piercing damage + 1d6 HM piercing damage +1d8 PW force damage. Most of the time damage type won't matter, so you'll just roll 2d8+1d6+3
    At level 5 your attack action lets you attack twice. Only your first HIT gets the Planar warrior damage, so if you hit both times your second hit is longbow + Hunter's Mark for 1d8+1d6+3
    Move if you want to, mindful that your Planar Warrior bonus damage only works within 30 feet.

Every round after that your Bonus Action will either be to move Hunter's Mark to a new target, or take a third attack. Your first HIT every turn will be 2d8+1d6+3 with every subsequent hit at 1d8+1d6+3
You might occasionally cast other spells, but this will be your bread and butter standard combat as a 5th level horizon walker ranger. So easy some characters even get bored of how easy it is and multiclass.

I think archers are the simplest because you'll rarely need to make a reaction. If someone shoots a fireball at you then you might cast Absorb Elements as your reaction to halve the damage. If you're in melee reactions come up a little more often.

With a beast master or drake warden instead of simply taking a third attack as your bonus action you have to decide what to do with your pet. That's another Move - Attack - Reaction to keep track of every turn. Still not a huge hassle, just add those extra things to your combat checklist and work your way down the list to get everything done.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's also possible you're conflating cause and effect. Being infused with extra-planar powers would probably give just about anyone a major boost in confidence.

True.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but those highly organized hobgoblin communities are a threat to human civilization. Tabaxi are just a weird curiosity.

I donno it just feels weird that any race is the designated "outcast" when it would always be from some kind of individual perspective. Like an Orc would for sure be a "outcast" in the kingdom of Karimikos because those humans are actively colonizing the lands of the "chaotic races". The first d&d adventure, Keep on the Borderlands is all about this colonizing mission, and wizards of the coast reprinted that module for 5e lol

We're talking past each other a bit. By "outcast race" I mean those who are usually presented as an entire race of wanderers without a clear community to call their own. Think Tanis from Dragonlance (who has to create a home for himself in Solace) or Dark Sun half elves (who are hated by everyone). Like your Karameikan orc wouldn't count because they're assumed to be welcome back home in their orc tribe.

And Thyatian colonization of Karameikos does not necessarily make outcasts of its victims. The Traladarians aren't outcasts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Resilience is technically worse than Warcaster until like level 13 whenever proficiency goes up). For solely concentration checks.

Depending on what levels you plan to get to if you are playing a mostly sub level 10 game Warcaster is better at low damage levels as you don't hit the concentration DC range where you absolutely need a boosted base con save vs just insurance against a really bad roll.

Essentially until level 8 Warcaster is far and away a better way to keep concentration if that's you are solely looking for.

Other than that it's based on what you want. If your GM is throwing a ton of con saves your way, resil(con) isn't bad to take(assuming you have an odd constitution and the +1 con boosts your con modifier.) If the added Warcaster stuff doesn't appeal to you(Spell as opportunity attack is niche but nice)

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 1, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Or, since negotiation is a function of Charisma, the ones good enough to not be immediately hosed by the deal are the ones that end up as pc's.

Same way you don't typically play a wizard that couldn't pass the entrance exams unless that's what you're going for.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 1, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PeterWeller posted:

And Thyatian colonization of Karameikos does not necessarily make outcasts of its victims. The Traladarians aren't outcasts.

The Traladarians aren't the only ones I was talking about! Unless you consider the monster races to be innately evil the Keep on the Borderlands is kind of explicitly a colonial adventure. This keep is on the border of a land that is being actively tamed and colonized. It says the "forces of chaos press upon the borders" but who was there first?

The lizardmen were there first. They are described as "exceptionally evil" but no explanation is given as to why
:thunk:

So what are the adventurers here to do? Why they are here to exterminate every non-human in the nearby caves of course! And these "evil tribes" can be pitted against each other just like the english crown favoring one colonized tribe over another, so they can more easily rule the area! Colonial tactics:

I mean this is really old material and they are trying desperately to get away from this kind of "adventuring". I don't know exactly how its framed in the reprint, but the way I'm seeing it the humans in that keep are the bad guys here.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 1, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I've been kicking around the idea of running a rewrite of Pool of Radiance where the whole idea of the "civilized races" *recolonizing* phlan gets deconstructed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I've been kicking around the idea of running a rewrite of Pool of Radiance where the whole idea of the "civilized races" *recolonizing* phlan gets deconstructed.

This is how I ran Keep, I framed the inhabitants in the keep as the most stereotypically racist rich south Africans. The Orc and Flumph characters were looking for any oppratunity to sell these guys out. They sent the adventurers to the lizardmen to go "rescue a kidnapped daughter". When my group talked to the lizard men instead of just slaughtering them they found out the daughter had run off to join the lizard men to avoid an arranged marriage to the creepy old town gem merchant.

They ended up murdering the gem merchant and stealing his gems :)

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 2, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rutibex posted:

The Traladarians aren't the only ones I was talking about! Unless you consider the monster races to be innately evil the Keep on the Borderlands is kind of explicitly a colonial adventure. This keep is on the border of a land that is being actively tamed and colonized. It says the "forces of chaos press upon the borders" but who was there first?

Yeah, I get you. We're talking past each other again. I wasn't denying that Keep is a colonial adventure. It totally is! I was just pointing out that Karameikos already has an entire colonized population who have not been made outcasts. Mainly, I was trying to jokingly point out that you brought up colonialism in the Grand Duchy and didn't mention the majority of its human population. :)

This is a good move and easier to pull off than any attempt to redeem Keep. It's even hinted towards a little bit by the adventure's main boss, the bronze dragon possessed by Tyranthraxus.

Ruins was one of the first adventures I ever ran, and I'd love to go back to it some day.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Lets assume a 5th level horizon walker who uses a longbow and has 16 dexterity:[list]
Round 1
Bonus action - cast Hunter's mark and choose your target
Not an action - choose the same guy as your target for your Planar Warrior ability this turn,

That's not too bad. Only thing I'm pretty sure Planar Warrior is a Bonus Action and so you have to put off using it for at least a round, which seems to be the deal with a lot of the Ranger spells, they don't take an Action to cast, but rather a bonus action so you end up maybe losing out on something else you can do, not a big deal, but it lets you buff for longer fights I guess.

Aside from that I think I'd probably go Melee with a Horizon Walker. It seems to be geared for melee, but that may not actually matter and so if it doesn't I like how you described. It ups a bit more complexity from my lvl 4 monk gameplay while also not becoming a mess. Druid is sufficiently complicated for me as it just presents so many options on how to proceed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's not too bad. Only thing I'm pretty sure Planar Warrior is a Bonus Action and so you have to put off using it for at least a round, which seems to be the deal with a lot of the Ranger spells, they don't take an Action to cast, but rather a bonus action so you end up maybe losing out on something else you can do, not a big deal, but it lets you buff for longer fights I guess.

Aside from that I think I'd probably go Melee with a Horizon Walker. It seems to be geared for melee, but that may not actually matter and so if it doesn't I like how you described. It ups a bit more complexity from my lvl 4 monk gameplay while also not becoming a mess. Druid is sufficiently complicated for me as it just presents so many options on how to proceed.

D'oh, you're right it is a bonus action. See that's why I'd need a combat checklist, because just looking up random things makes it easy to miss something. :) I think I was also wrong about being able to use your longbow to make a third shot with your bonus action, usually only a two-weapon melee guy can do that.

Rangers have tons of stuff to do on bonus actions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I get you. We're talking past each other again. I wasn't denying that Keep is a colonial adventure. It totally is! I was just pointing out that Karameikos already has an entire colonized population who have not been made outcasts. Mainly, I was trying to jokingly point out that you brought up colonialism in the Grand Duchy and didn't mention the majority of its human population. :)

This is a good move and easier to pull off than any attempt to redeem Keep. It's even hinted towards a little bit by the adventure's main boss, the bronze dragon possessed by Tyranthraxus.

Ruins was one of the first adventures I ever ran, and I'd love to go back to it some day.

Yeah, I got as far into planning as to google up a bunch of other people's adaptation attempts. It'd be a great big project to rewrite it and put it up online, especially since the first adventure is in "the slums" and the PCs are assigned to "clear them out".

This poo poo writes itself! And you could reframe the Pool of Radiance along the lines of Roadside Picnic.

The fundamental structure of the adventure module is GREAT, you get a "dungeon" crawl where the "dungeon" is city blocks, complete with optional side missions etc. It just needs a deconstruction rewrite.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PeterWeller posted:

:tipshat:
Don't worry the Grand Duchy doesn't even exist any more. My players got onto a hit list for murdering that gem merchant, and in order to give the wizard assassins the slip they threw SCP-409 "The Contagious Crystal" into the ocean then flew away in their spelljammer.

Turned all of Mystara into crystal, then it exploded. No one can use Mystara any more sorry guys.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rutibex posted:

The lizardmen were there first. They are described as "exceptionally evil" but no explanation is given as to why
:thunk:

So what are the adventurers here to do? Why they are here to exterminate every non-human in the nearby caves of course! And these "evil tribes" can be pitted against each other just like the english crown favoring one colonized tribe over another, so they can more easily rule the area! Colonial tactics:

I mean this is really old material and they are trying desperately to get away from this kind of "adventuring". I don't know exactly how its framed in the reprint, but the way I'm seeing it the humans in that keep are the bad guys here.

Is there a 5E reprint separate than the Into the Borderlands Original Adventures Reincarnated by Goodman Games? That's them reprinting the original adventures (Into the Unknown and Keep on the Borderlands) twice (LOL), then rewriting them as 5E adventures with extra content. It's licensed from WotC but not done by them. I can look at my copy to see if there's any better characterization at some point if there's demand.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there a 5E reprint separate than the Into the Borderlands Original Adventures Reincarnated by Goodman Games? That's them reprinting the original adventures (Into the Unknown and Keep on the Borderlands) twice (LOL), then rewriting them as 5E adventures with extra content. It's licensed from WotC but not done by them. I can look at my copy to see if there's any better characterization at some point if there's demand.

If the question at hand is "What does evil mean in early D&D?" I can quote from the 1E DMG:

quote:

Good And Evil: Basically stated, the tenets of good are human rights, or in the case of AD&D, creature rights. Each creature is entitled to life, relative freedom, and the prospect of happiness. Cruelty and suffering are undesirable. Evil, on the other hand, does not concern itself with rights or happiness; purpose is the determinant.

So the lizard people being described as "extremely evil" would tend to mean that they have no regard for individual rights or life, readily enslave their subjects, and their leaders treat other creatures as mere tools for their own aggrandizement. e.g. Nazis

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Deteriorata posted:

If the question at hand is "What does evil mean in early D&D?" I can quote from the 1E DMG:

So the lizard people being described as "extremely evil" would tend to mean that they have no regard for individual rights or life, readily enslave their subjects, and their leaders treat other creatures as mere tools for their own aggrandizement. e.g. Nazis

I assumed the question was whether they changed/improved anything in the latest revision, which is I think this one? Unless Wizards came out with an even newer revision of the adventure.

Also, keep in mind that this was a module for the D&D line, not the AD&D line.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I'm going to start Lizards of the Coast, it is in fact the Wizards who are evil.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Hi thread. I like to pop up and ask people that understand 5e for their advice. Just finished up a campaign where I was a ranged optimized thief and I think I'm going to be stuck with the healer role this time around. I'd like to do something more than the standard cleric-who-heals.

Looking on the internet it seems the accepted mainline healers are: Cleric (particularly life), Druid (particularly Circle of Dreams), Divine Soul Sorcerer, and Celestial Warlock. Bard seems acceptable depending on build. Ranger and Paladin are generally considered too weak to heal. There's another school of thought that says you should focus on battlefield control and minimizing damage rather than healing it.

I think these are interesting debates, but I always feel like battlefield control often depends a lot on your GM. If everything is open roll then you can be effective or at least be assured that you're being treated fairly. However, I feel like there are tons of GMs out there that like to cheese their saving throws so that monsters always seem to make the saves that REALLY matter. This is prevalent enough that I always felt like my controller casters were relatively ineffective at removing key opponents from the fight: the GM can see the tactical situation as easily as you can and they justify faking saves in the interest of keeping the fight 'interesting,' at least to themselves.

Regardless, I'd like some advice on building a mainline healer for 5e, and if that means a primary battlefield controller with good out of combat heals I'll give it a try. Conceptually I was thinking of playing a goblin who has an inflated opinion of himself. My original idea for this was a goblin paladin who deconstructs a lot of the glorious paladin tropes, but I don't know if I'd have enough heals to satisfy the party.

We're playing the feywild campaign next so there should be opportunities for good RP. Would it make sense to do a paladin with a level of life cleric? Any thoughts on this subject or plays on the character concept (regardless of class) are welcome.

EDIT: I realized suddenly that tons of summons can be good out-of-GM-control battlefield fodder, and I've never played a primary summoner concept. Maybe I should adjust my concept to a druid with a relevant circle (like circle of the shepherd). Again a dip into life cleric would really beef this up, though it's harder to justify for the character than the cleric-paladin multiclass.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 2, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gameko posted:

Hi thread. I like to pop up and ask people that understand 5e for their advice. Just finished up a campaign where I was a ranged optimized thief and I think I'm going to be stuck with the healer role this time around. I'd like to do something more than the standard cleric-who-heals.

Looking on the internet it seems the accepted mainline healers are: Cleric (particularly life), Druid (particularly Circle of Dreams), Divine Soul Sorcerer, and Celestial Warlock. Bard seems acceptable depending on build. Ranger and Paladin are generally considered too weak to heal. There's another school of thought that says you should focus on battlefield control and minimizing damage rather than healing it.

I think these are interesting debates, but I always feel like battlefield control often depends a lot on your GM. If everything is open roll then you can be effective or at least be assured that you're being treated fairly. However, I feel like there are tons of GMs out there that like to cheese their saving throws so that monsters always seem to make the saves that REALLY matter. This is prevalent enough that I always felt like my controller casters were relatively ineffective at removing key opponents from the fight: the GM can see the tactical situation as easily as you can and they justify faking saves in the interest of keeping the fight 'interesting,' at least to themselves.

Regardless, I'd like some advice on building a mainline healer for 5e, and if that means a primary battlefield controller with good out of combat heals I'll give it a try. Conceptually I was thinking of playing a goblin who has an inflated opinion of himself. My original idea for this was a goblin paladin who deconstructs a lot of the glorious paladin tropes, but I don't know if I'd have enough heals to satisfy the party.

We're playing the feywild campaign next so there should be opportunities for good RP. Would it make sense to do a paladin with a level of life cleric? Any thoughts on this subject or plays on the character concept (regardless of class) are welcome.

EDIT: I realized suddenly that tons of summons can be good out-of-GM-control battlefield fodder, and I've never played a primary summoner concept. Maybe I should adjust my concept to a druid with a relevant circle (like circle of the shepherd). Again a dip into life cleric would really beef this up, though it's harder to justify for the character than the cleric-paladin multiclass.

The bolded section, to me, says bard. You have healing word to pick up people when they drop in combat, plenty of spells to vex and prevent damage, and song of rest to improve short rest healing. Alternatively, you could go divine soul sorcerer and have all the battlefield control of the sorcerer spell list options (with metamagic as a force multiplier) and still keep people on their feet. Just be sure to get prayer of healing for out of combat healing.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh, and don't let the class level section of the character sheet mean more than pure mechanics if it doesn't fit what you have in mind for a story. There's nothing to say a level 1 character who is a life cleric or a divine soul sorcerer isn't a paladin. Being a paladin from a storytelling perspective just means you're a member of a knightly order and touched by the divine. That falls into background and self-presentation in the world.

It stands to reason knightly orders have specialized medics and war drummers.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also "healer" roles are massively overvalued. Healing is important for popping people up from unconscious or maybe day-long sustainability. It takes a lot of luck and investment to do any substantial amount of battlefield healing and its questionable whether or not that's valuable next to say, removing an enemy from the encounter.

That's optimized talk anyway. Doing it for funzies is another thing entirely.

You should have more than enough heals with a pure paladin or a mixed class. Many clerics get pretty heavy armaments so you don't even need the paladin levels if you think you'd rather focus Wisdom.

I dunno sounds fine to me!

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 2, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I really wouldn't worry too much about out of combat heals. In terms of roleplaying it's fun, but mechanically there's no real need for them between hit dice, healing potions, self-healing abilities, and long rests. Any Paladin is going to be more than sufficient thanks to Laying of Hands, Cure Wounds, or Prayer of Healing. The real reason to be a Cleric/Bard/Druid healer is that they have Healing Word, which is able to keep someone up easily during combat with little bursts of ranged healing. The Paladin can still perform a similar role, and doesn't need to worry as much about avoiding melee (though there are plenty of tanky Cleric/Bard/Druids available if desired), so it's really up to you what class you'd like to take. Don't feel too pressured to make sure there's a party healer available - it's pretty rare that one is needed and you can always multiclass (i.e. pick up Bard if a CHA class or Cleric/Druid if a WIS class) if you need to. All that being said, if you want to play a healer then there's lots of options to choose from! Clerics and Druids in particular have a wide range of fun sub-classes that offer different types of support gameplay.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 2, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gameko posted:

The last healer I played was a Hag Witch who brewed weird potions for everyone (Hexblood Artificer-Alchemist). This is a better option than a cleric or something, because you can brew the potion and hand them out. You are not forced to waste your actions casting healing spells

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/artificer:alchemist

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

s/Prayer of Healing/Aura of Vitality

PoH is kinda obsolete now that Tasha's gives clerics Aura of Vitality, unless your party is huge.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If I were ever to try to be a healer, it'd be a Way of Mercy Monk, which I'm well aware isn't really a healer, but sue me, I like monks.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If I were ever to try to be a healer, it'd be a Way of Mercy Monk, which I'm well aware isn't really a healer, but sue me, I like monks.

There's a certain appeal to slapping party members to heal them.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cthulu Carl posted:

If you take celestial sorcerer, you can double fist cure wounds with twinned spell. Slaps all around!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

change my name posted:

If you take celestial sorcerer, you can double fist cure wounds with twinned spell. Slaps all around!

You had me at 'double fist' :wink:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm pretty sure they can see the spirit leaving a body and they just punch them back in there so hard that they stay.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cthulu Carl posted:

Thats what I did with my conquest paladin. ON YOUR FEET, SOLDIER!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm pretty sure they can see the spirit leaving a body and they just punch them back in there so hard that they stay.

Healing hands palms

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thats what I did with my conquest paladin. ON YOUR FEET, SOLDIER!

My 4e Warlord did a lot of this with far saltier language.

To be fair, he was a (salt)Water Genasi.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

My 4e Warlord did a lot of this with far saltier language.

To be fair, he was a (salt)Water Genasi.

did he taste like toffee when monsters ate him

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Still trying to decide what I should use my extra ASIs for on my battlemaster fighter (and eventual bear totem barb multiclass) for our OotA game. We just hit level 3 so it's a ways off, but I was thinking of pumping strength to 20 at level 6 and then taking either mobile, fighting initiate (so I can grab either blind fighting, I'm a human and getting hosed by the blackness of the underdark, or dueling), martial adept for more maneuvers, or alert for the initiative buff at level 8. I took tough at level 1 so I already have the most HP and eventually I'll just be unkillable.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Arivia posted:

did he taste like toffee when monsters ate him

He was never eaten, sadly. No purple worm encounters during the campaign.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

change my name posted:

martial adept for more maneuvers

You get plenty of maneuvers as a Battlemaster without grabbing a feat for more, and honestly, each additional maneuver is diminishing returns. You start picking from the best of the list, but once you have 4 or 5, they start seeming less impactful. I'd suggest Sentinel if you want to be "the tank".

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 2, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The maneuver thing is mostly for the additional die

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
playing a warforged artificer artillerist and boy do they get awful tanky with all the infusions! 24 AC with Shield if I need it and a force ballista laying about for additional damage. lotta fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

change my name posted:

Still trying to decide what I should use my extra ASIs for on my battlemaster fighter (and eventual bear totem barb multiclass) for our OotA game. We just hit level 3 so it's a ways off, but I was thinking of pumping strength to 20 at level 6 and then taking either mobile, fighting initiate (so I can grab either blind fighting, I'm a human and getting hosed by the blackness of the underdark, or dueling), martial adept for more maneuvers, or alert for the initiative buff at level 8. I took tough at level 1 so I already have the most HP and eventually I'll just be unkillable.

Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, Sentinel, Str to 20, if you are trying to be a melee tank, those are really the feats you want. Any extra ASI's can be whatever but resilient wisdom to help with saves and Ritual Caster for OOC utility are my favorites.

The thing is, you will never be unkillable...and if you are the DM/ monsters never need to actually engage with you as your damage will be so low as to just save you for last. The point of tanking in 5e is to clog up things long enough for you and your allies to take out the enemies, as such plus the fact there is no aggro mechanic in 5e a melee tank needs a couple things.

1)Decently High AC and HP-----your Fighter levels give you that off the bat
2)High enough Damage to not be ignored-------GWM, Polearm Master and 20 STR will give you that
3)Something to keep enemies next to you who don't want to be there-------Sentinel Feat and the Trip Attack Maneuver will help you there
4) A way to disincentivize the enemy from hitting your allies-------Sentinel Feat again helps here, as does the Bait and Switch and Trip attack manuevers, however if you are already going barbarian, going for 3 levels of Ancestral Guardian Barbarian provides a nice way to make your allies less attractive targets. *Ancestral Guardian is a great buff to tanking however if Bear Totem is your jam, go for that instead, it is great, I aint trying to yuck your yum, just recognize it does protect the party less than Ancestral Guardian will if you are trying to act in a protective manner as a tank.

So what to prioritize? Well, I would take Fighter to 5 for extra attack first. Given you already have taken tough as your bonus Feat, I would take GWM or Sentinel as my level 4 feat (personally I recommend GWM, but stickiness or damage is a hard choice). I would then go for the 3 levels of Barbarian. At level 6 I would take either GWM or Sentinel, whichever I didn't take at 4, then go the rest of the way fighter using my next 2 ASI's for bonuses to Str. If you are worried about seeing in the dark, buy a hooded lantern and wear it hanging from your waist..or get an ally to cast light on your weapon or what have you. If you can get your hands on a magic halberd or glaive, I would take polearm master instead of the first Strength increase.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 3, 2022