Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This motherfucker is Valstrax too are you loving kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Tell me about it, I was so excited to get it and so disappointed in every way when I used it.

Lol yeah I equipped that thing, saw how short it was and laughed. Like women and my dick

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mons Hubris posted:

I have three Stormveil Castle things I can't figure out. I've got the great rune, just trying to mop up now.

1) At the top of the tower by the Stormveil Cliffside bonfire, there's a purple item in the window near where the brick hammer is. How do you get up there?
2) Above the pile of bodies with the two dogs where you find the Chrysalids' Memento, there's a purple item on the walkway across the pit, past the big hanging animal corpse. How do you get over there?
3) Is there any way to activate the big elevator in the rampart tower?

1. I dunno I also want to know, I figred you could get it by jumping off the walkway adjacent to it and then taking a different path below, but that lower platform appears to just be for the archers that shot at you at the area enterance and has a separate way back in to just past the third bomby dude.

2. You should have gone past this on the critical path I thought, I definitely went across both sides

3. I think this is accessible if you go off that hidden path down from the rampart near the first birb encounter.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blues Hammer posted:

Sorry if it was answered before, but are the enemies inside Stormveil Castle supposed to flicker in and out of invisibility, or is that a glitch? My performance has been fine otherwise, so wasn't sure if that was the case.

Pretty sure it's a bug, it happens to me when there's just a shitload of enemies around and active, that little skirmish between the guards and imp men was watching flames and little sorcery shots just flying through the air followed by blood explosions.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Dunno if this has been shared already but there's a lot of stuff that's entirely new to Elden Ring and I had no idea even existed after like 50 hours. Some standouts:

-You can use your left handed weapon on a horse by pressing the two handed input
-You can keep your shield up while backstepping
-You can't accidentally fall to your death while on an attack chain
-Weather affects lightning and fire damage
-Golden leaves means you get extra runes from killing stuff
-Stone miners explode if they get lit on fire

amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_hveDzzvo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Relevant Tangent posted:

joining the blue covenant specifically to gently caress with invaders is the moral choice

i joined the blue covenant just to get more chances to fight dudes
it's popped like 4 times within 70 hours. 3 of those the invader or host was already dead by the time I loaded in (playing on SSD)

It seems you can only get summoned as a blue cop ghost this time around if (a) the player only has one phantom summoned already, and (b) they actually bought and activated the white ring from the shop lady in the roundtable.

Since matchmaking seems to prioritize putting invaders into worlds with 2 summons already, and there are a lot fewer invaders than co-opers, it's really rare that it'll even get the chance to summon someone.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 2, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

After 17 hours I finally found the first boss. My dumbass had blown right past the castle and was all the way in the north of the map.

I'm guessing people had trouble with him given the variety of attacks and giving the first boss attack delays.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Azran posted:

Dunno if this has been shared already but there's a lot of stuff that's entirely new to Elden Ring and I had no idea even existed after like 50 hours. Some standouts:

-You can use your left handed weapon on a horse by pressing the two handed input
-You can keep your shield up while backstepping
-Weather affects lightning and fire damage
-Golden leaves means you get extra runes from killing stuff
-Stone miners explode if they get lit on fire

amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_hveDzzvo

for a while there until i figured out the two hand to use your offhand on a horse thing i was keeping an alternate staff in my right hand slot so when i was on my horse i could still cast spells, freed up some weight once i realized i could ditch it

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

No Wave posted:

They're all in tunnels in limgrave. You can see tunnels on the map they look like cartoon mouse holes. It's not meant to be a hidden mechanic, but it's not intuitive until you go to one.

Ahhh! Perfect! Just what I needed. Thanks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I went to Gael Tunnel, got the Mistveil, which is perfect because I've been using the Uchigatana all game and I've been rolling with a Dex/Int Build. Only problem is that I heard Alexander was supposed to be there and he wasn't. Was it because I've already technically been to Redmane Castle, or that I started the tournament questline by talking to Selvius and Blaidd, because I know he's somehow involved with that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Arist posted:

I went to Gael Tunnel, got the Mistveil, which is perfect because I've been using the Uchigatana all game and I've been rolling with a Dex/Int Build. Only problem is that I heard Alexander was supposed to be there and he wasn't. Was it because I've already technically been to Redmane Castle, or that I started the tournament questline by talking to Selvius and Blaidd, because I know he's somehow involved with that.

yeah, if you meet him there he talks about how he's heading to the thing you already saw him at

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
So why is it they add a bunch of cool weapons with fancy weapon arts with arcane as a stat requirement and almost none of these have scaling. At all. No added damage. Executioner sword, bleed twin blade, this cool straight sword I found earlier. No scaling on any of them.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I'm starting to think I hate this game. I'm just running around Stormveil Castle and it's easily the worst level design I've seen in any soulsborne. Kinda don't want to bother anymore. :/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What the gently caress did I just kill at Ainsel River

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

War Wizard posted:

I'm starting to think I hate this game. I'm just running around Stormveil Castle and it's easily the worst level design I've seen in any soulsborne. Kinda don't want to bother anymore. :/

Source your quotes

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

War Wizard posted:

It's just gunna get worse after the tutorial castle. A tip though, the game railroads you on in there immediately and the secret is that you can go anywhere. Try coming back after level 20.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

War Wizard posted:

:thunk:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Stormveil is definitely one of the high points of the game level design wise, if you're not vibing with it you might honestly want to eject

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Valdent posted:

So why is it they add a bunch of cool weapons with fancy weapon arts with arcane as a stat requirement and almost none of these have scaling. At all. No added damage. Executioner sword, bleed twin blade, this cool straight sword I found earlier. No scaling on any of them.

I've found a few arcane weapons. Also you can blood/poison ashes almost anything for arcane scaling.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Stormveil Castle taught me that sometimes I just have to run up and stab a dude. Or just run through and not deal with a room. No shinies and lots of enemies? Just need to find the exit then.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I missing something or can you not see the bonus your stats give to your staff/seal? It makes it really hard to compare them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it has seemed that over the years invasions have been balanced more and more around the understanding that red phantoms will be pvp twink builds from people who are Good At Videogames

as a Mediocre At Videogames person who's just invading with my normal pve playthrough character i lose most of my invasions here and in ds3 but it's still lots of fun to get a dickass red rot proc on the host and watch them slowly waste to death

Looking forward to dragon rot vomiting on some unsuspecting tarnished

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

No Mods No Masters posted:

Stormveil is definitely one of the high points of the game level design wise, if you're not vibing with it you might honestly want to eject

i didn't really enjoy it. i'd put it near the bottom in terms of fun. a bit boring visually and packed with dickhead enemies.

yeah it's complex but that doesn't just automatically mean good.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Hey so I got into a cave that was filled with rot on the ground and a big flower and when I got to the next set of doors I couldn't open them. Anyone know if this is related to a questline I missed?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I sort of get it. Stormveil can get a bit exhausting. It's absolutely massive, and there's enemies everywhere. Those big armored knights and the knife birds are really annoying. There's a whole section of the castle I basically can't really explore right now because of the insane mob density, and the archers and there's like a giant dog man?? And in order to get there you need to kill like 50 dudes. I've only been through there once. But the fact that it's so big is also really cool, and there's a lot of cool sights. Seeing the battered walls outside is awesome, looking out over a balcony and seeing nothing but castle in the distance, and most of it you can go to, there's all sorts of places you can go in the castle. I don't agree with it being as big as a full game but they really made it into its own zone. Hell there's things there I haven't even attempted to attack, the big fat blob creature that roams one of the halls, the thing underneath in the I guess sewers? I just kind of ran past that thing. I got to Godrick but I decided to put him on pause for now and the rest of the castle and go explore somewhere else just get a breather from the place for a bit. When I come back hopefully I'll be wrecking that place.

The big armored knights though can go to hell. loving annoying.

Like my best advice for Stormveil is to do a little of it at a time, then go explore somewhere else so you don't get burnt out by the place.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought Stormveil was fun and not too challenging but I did a lot of stuff in Limgrave because I was enjoying it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am a bit of the way in at about 40 hours in on my guy. I really have a strong desire to just finish the game. I am not sure why. I have a lot more to do. I am only level 50ish. I havent seen most of the story yet and I just have some vague mission at this point. My npc state is probably extremely jacked up. I want to see more and do more but on a new character or new game plus.

Also, I have a question about the bell and summoning ashes:

on one game, the creepy witch chick gave me the bell in the church ruins. In another game, she did not. I went to the roundtable hold very early on that as I beat some easy boss for the souls. Is that going to mess things up? I take it that I can still meet her elsewhere later on without loving up some quests?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

roomtone posted:

i didn't really enjoy it. i'd put it near the bottom in terms of fun. a bit boring visually and packed with dickhead enemies.

yeah it's complex but that doesn't just automatically mean good.

I really enjoyed it. I think it's probably their best iteration on the good old basic castle, and that includes the 10 trillion other castles in this game

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Stormveil was definitely a lot less enjoyable for me than everything else I did before finally going there at level 40+. It has the classic Dark Souls castle design and that can be a big plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. But the rest of the game is certainly not the same.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah. Stormveil is pretty good. There are some legitimately bad areas, but they are more in the latter half of the game. The subterranean shunning grounds is particularly bad, though you don't have to go there unless you want a particular alternate ending. It involves wandering through a lot of endless winding pipes looking for the right path.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eh, I did Stormveil like 60 hours in and it's one of the more boring castles. Maybe if you stick straight to the critical path and it's your very first castle experience, and the stuff in there is remotely challenging, it might be neat but basically any other castle is better lol.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just hosed Morgott and Godfrey off the Capital is definitely my favorite dungeon so far but hell they're all my favorite dungeon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Radahn down! Holy poo poo that fight was loving great! Now a loving star fell somewhere? Didn’t get an indication of where and can’t see any changes on the map. Time to head to the roundtable and start asking questions

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Sage's Cave is great. Skeletons, like a dozen secret passageways, TWO separate boss fights at the end, and the name is just fun to say.

Sage's Cave

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Eh, I did Stormveil like 60 hours in and it's one of the more boring castles. Maybe if you stick straight to the critical path and it's your very first castle experience, and the stuff in there is remotely challenging, it might be neat but basically any other castle is better lol.

Doing it that late probably gives you a different perspective, but I would think it uncontroversial to anyone who's played that much that there are a lot of pretty mediocre generic castles in this game so I'm surprised by your claim.

I felt like it had good visuals, verticality, environment variety, well done secrets, interconnectedness, alternative paths depending on your preferences and playstyle, etc. etc. all really good stuff and not matched until you get to the capitol, which is kind of a different style of thing. I get that people don't like the eagles and fighting the basement sub boss in such a small room though

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 2, 2022

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Valdent posted:

arcane scaling is broken right now apparently, i assume they'll fix it soon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Could this be my GOAT?
Try Miyakaki but poison swamp in short, yes

I loving love this game and is climbing on top of my soulsbornering (or whatever) and probably GOAT.

Right now leveling up my character's STR but I can't decide what weapon to use between Greataxe, Rusted Anchor, Brick Hammer and Battle Hammer to get past +3 and be my main weapon (I already got materials to upgrade any of these to +6). Got the Claymore and can get the Zweihander for classic action but I want a heavy infused weapon (got 18DEX and 25STR, want 40STR).

Any suggestions?

Edit: got 18DEX so I can use the flail, because the flail owns.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 2, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If an enemy is on a horse you’re probably expected to fight them on Torrent right?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Azran posted:

dunno how you miss this change - I kinda don't like it to be honest. I really liked how you needed to play super careful and not lock on on catwalks.

another change not mentioned, the collision on weapons has been hugely streamlined. you can do things like R1 a greatsword in a narrow passage you just couldn't do before.

don't like either change, from catering to the casuals smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know if after beating Malekith the beastman clergyman is gone and you can no longer trade deathroot? or are they different guys.

RatHat posted:

If an enemy is on a horse you’re probably expected to fight them on Torrent right?

It's generally easier in my experience. There are a few where you can't use torrent, though.