Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

i get it now, thanks! didn't connect "this weapons pattern can be extracted" with "you have to find 4 or 400 copies of this gun before you might be able to craft it, idiot"

I like that it's kind of a long term beloved weapon make it better system. sometimes you just like using that gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

OzFactor posted:

I'm pretty confused on weapon crafting at this point after the couple of tutorial quests... You only get a new weapon pattern from a resonant version of that specific gun, right? i.e. I have a resonant 30th anniversary battle rifle and all that's going to get me is mats, right, since that's not on the list of unlockable patterns?

Yup. All guns, whether they're craftable or not, have a chance to drop with Deepsight Resonance and create crafting mats.

Majere posted:

when a red border weapon says "this weapons pattern can be extracted" what exactly does that mean or do? when I fill the bar, I can extract ruinous or adroit or whatever element from it but where does the extracting pattern part come in? does that mean I can craft a whole new one from the pendulum thingy from scratch?

Yep -- you unlock some of the crafting recipes at the Relic by extracting resonance from random red-border drops of that gun. You have to do it more than once -- many guns need 2 or 3 extractions, some need more. If you haven't learned the recipe yet, it'll have that "pattern can be extracted" text, but it works exactly the same as any other Resonant gun; use it, collect crafting mats, throw it away if you don't like it. Once you've done enough extractions and learned the recipe, it'll just have the usual "resonance can be extracted" text and work like any other redborder gun.

This is why the low drop rates on Wellspring really suck (and are getting patched); it's not enough to just get a redborder version of a gun once, you need to get it up to 5 times.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do you think the Witness and the Winnower are the same thing?

The design of the Witness is really really cool btw.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

ChaosReaper posted:

Not that I had a good roll but I deleted the only Funnelweb I've gotten and boy am I regretting that every day now. I haven't even seen a second one since I deleted that first one on day 2.

This is exactly me right now too lol..

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Yes, though some require more than one juiced gun before you can craft your own.

This is one thing they should change for this first bunch of weapons available in crafting. The throne world PsiOps machine gun (recurrent impact) needs 5 patterns extracted to be able to craft it, 5! I've seen precisely 1 recurrent impact throughout the whole campaign and several days of loving about in the throne world, strikes, gambit etc. It just so had it that it had deepsight resonance. And I need 5 of the things, it doesn't even seem to be that great of a machinegun, if it was the second coming of hammerhead I could understand such a high cost.

One of the evidence board quests from the hidden is to craft 3 weapons. One of which is pointless inquiry (psi ops scout), which requires 3 pattern extractions. I've seen 3 rifles total only 1 was resonant.

However, I'd like to thank the crafting system for introducing me to the adagio/subsistence/veist stasis auto rifle "Krait", I'd have probably not looked at it twice if not for deepsight resonance. Was quite surprised when I first got a large mob of red bars in sights and was able to just hold down mouse 1 like I was an Actium rig sweet business titan :v:

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 2, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Deep sight resonance should be a weapon mod you add. It takes up the slot while you use it so there's a cost to it, but you can periodically extract it and if you leave it long enough it learns the weapon's pattern and you can craft it

Hire me bungie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rocket_Magnet posted:

One of the evidence board quests from the hidden is to craft 3 weapons. One of which is pointless inquiry (psi ops scout), which requires 3 pattern extractions. I've seen 3 rifles total only 1 was resonant.

Don't worry, after you finish that step you get a second step, to craft 2 even rarer weapons!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DarkHorse posted:

Deep sight resonance should be a weapon mod you add. It takes up the slot while you use it so there's a cost to it, but you can periodically extract it and if you leave it long enough it learns the weapon's pattern and you can craft it
Which part of this is designed to make the player hate the activity?

quote:

Hire me bungie
Not likely, see above

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Somewhere along the process of making craftable guns, someone said “but doesn’t this completely break and invalidate the loot chasing RNG engine that fuels our game?” and someone else had a brilliant solution: just make the system 100% awful to interact with and the guns so bland and unappealing that it’s largely irrelevant anyway.

Good thing their world design, encounter design, lore and campaign teams hit absolute home runs, as even the god awful PvP meta and tepid crafting system can ruin the overall stellar delivery of the expansion / season content. I can’t wait to see what they do with Lucent Hive mechanics in the raid.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 2, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You could make it so it only extracted the perks on that gun, and if you wanted to be an enormous :bungie: only for that gun. That way you still have to chase after a drop with at least one of the perks you want

And then there's the gun of leveling up the gun you eventually craft, and then invalidated when they tweak some numbers or mechanics and the meta changes...

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

slow_twitch posted:

Apparently all I had to do was bitch about it here. Just decrypted my first umbral engram into a subsistence frenzy funnelweb.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

You could make it so it only extracted the perks on that gun, and if you wanted to be an enormous :bungie: only for that gun. That way you still have to chase after a drop with at least one of the perks you want
That's pretty much how I was expecting it to work, so it is a little disappointing that the eventual version was 'level it up to unlock perks and then spend an expensive and limited currency if you want to switch.'

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Holy poo poo this guy has put some time into the game recently...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

that feels like it's gotta be an exploit / abuse.

Or total insanity

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mesadoram posted:

Holy poo poo this guy has put some time into the game recently...

... there aren't any perks on that.

that's a completely unmodified glaive. :dogstare:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kith posted:

... there aren't any perks on that.

that's a completely unmodified glaive. :dogstare:

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice that :kstare:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, one more question: How big is the campaign in Witch Queen? I mean, I am mostly expecting it to be around 10 hours at most; Not expecting miracles here. But it does sound a bit beefier than their last few expansions.

I am not sure how long I will stick around for the Grind, but I would like to play a Good Bungie Campaign.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry, one more question: How big is the campaign in Witch Queen? I mean, I am mostly expecting it to be around 10 hours at most; Not expecting miracles here. But it does sound a bit beefier than their last few expansions.

I am not sure how long I will stick around for the Grind, but I would like to play a Good Bungie Campaign.

That's about right for the primary campaign, there's 9 or so missions that'll take you an hour on average unless you're blasting through. There's some additional narrative questlines after that, not counting the Season stuff.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The Parasite quest is worth the price of admission alone

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No wonder the hive is so crabby if that's how high maintenance their worms are. It's like all the worst parts of cats and dogs in a single pet.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

PERMACAV 50 posted:

The Parasite quest is worth the price of admission alone

quote:

Ah huh.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cool little economy bypass here, but you get to reshape the glaive for free after completing the first campaign mission.

Get your glaive up to level 20 on your main character or whatever, and then run the first campaign mission on a second character. Reshape the level 20 Glaive and add as many enhanced perks as you want, totally for free, since this is part of a quest!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Cool little economy bypass here, but you get to reshape the glaive for free after completing the first campaign mission.

Get your glaive up to level 20 on your main character or whatever, and then run the first campaign mission on a second character. Reshape the level 20 Glaive and add as many enhanced perks as you want, totally for free, since this is part of a quest!

gently caress yes

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh, look, I still have a Hunter I need to run through the main story! And a glaive with enough levels to get the enhanced perks I want!

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

This is the season when the number of hours I've spent playing Destiny aligns with my light level...

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

slow_twitch posted:

They really need an undo button for dismantling. Several times I was on a dismantling spree and accidentally dismantled something important which I had forgotten to lock or even worse that I unlocked and then dismantled out of muscle memory. I'm sure it would be ripe* for abuse but it's like shutting your car door and then immediately realizing that you locked the keys inside.

It's weird how I log in to destiny to do rote tasks while doing something else. I.e. dismantling stuff from my full bank or playing dressup or running on "autopilot" through strikes / gambit while listening to podcasts or a youtube video or tabbing out between deaths to take care of something on my second screen. It's the perfect "secondary" game but sometimes when I need to focus on it for hard content I don't want to play it that much outside of soloing content that should have a fireteam. Even though I've played daily probably 85% of the time since launch in 2017. I should look on the historical heatmap (https://chrisfried.github.io/secret-scrublandeux/) to see but I don't want to know at the same time.

Also, I too have been getting a lot of emotes especially exotic ones from bright engrams since wq hit. Maybe they re-weighted what drops from engrams? As in, maybe it gives you something you're missing before giving you a duplicate item.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 3, 2022

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I've also gotten 3 or 4 emotes. Usually it's just some purple sparrow dupe from year 1.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do 2nd & 3rd characters need to do the campaign again?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Unveiling sounds like the Actual Light vs. The Dark so idk but I hope not.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't think so. Darkness seems to have a kind of casual, relaxed tone (Sit down, Oryx, my man, relax) whereas Witness has a bit more... self-importance/drama student your pale heart holds the key

Paracelsus posted:

Do 2nd & 3rd characters need to do the campaign again?

yeah, if you want to unlock wellspring and other stuffs. dunno about raid.

and, is it just me, but did they shift the titan bubble up a bit? like it used to be if on a flat surface it'd be a half-sphere, but now it's moved up so you can see the curving bottom half

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Eight years of destiny and we've seen more of the darkness and literally know nothing more about the traveler since the day we woke up in the cosmodrome

Like why not just get a ship and fly onto/into the traveler and take a poke around

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
That's something an agent of the darkness would say! CAPTURE HIS GHOST AND KILL HIM

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I believe the Traveler is confirmed? to be the Gardener so the Witness has to be the Winnower yeah. The Witness speaks vaguely at the Traveler with such familiarity after all.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Snip

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 3, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

dodgeblan posted:

so the big twist

did travvy choose savathun because she did some sort of noble self sacrifice or because it wanted to be escaped to her pocket dimension?
The big revelation of the campaign was that the skyless sisters (aurash, sathona and peggy) were originally supposed to be taken by the light, so maybe that's why the ghost was able to rez her? Maybe she turned a bunch of disgruntled guardianless ghosts as Osiris, then met up with them as Savathûn and was delighted when Immaru realised that she scanned as resurrectable.

Or maybe she did know pre rez - the temple of sathona was a long lost memento to her past self, but it's her throne world, and as she says on the way up to the ritual, everything that is said and done there is known to her. So maybe she already knew she was rezzable and that's why she turned the ghosts as Osiris.

2ndly yes, it's also possible that the traveller wanted to hide in her throne world where the witness couldn't get to it. The traveller has a history of running, from the Harmony to the Eliksni. The whole thing about rasputin nuking it to stop it fleeing has been retconned as a joke Uldren put on guardian twitter.

muike posted:

Unveiling sounds like the Actual Light vs. The Dark so idk but I hope not.
Maybe just their manifestations in this paraverse? Makes me wonder though, if the sword logic is all about being last man standing and the most powerful thing in existence, whoever wins and becomes the final shape in the game still isn't the most powerful because the winnower is still on a level above them. Which makes Oryx's whole thing of breaking out of your cage a pretty risky champion for the winnower to choose if there's a risk he would ever become powerful enough to break through to the gardener & winnower's plane of existence.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm really not certain how much of Gardener and Winnower we're supposed to read as, like, literal vs allegorical.

Is there an actual like, being looking down on the universe? Or is it an anthropomization of a fundamental force/system. Although in the second case we'd have to ask whose sending the messages.

As for Traveler and Savathun's plan:

I don't think that the Traveler actually wanted to be hid away, as much as it wants anything.

First, as mentioned, Rasputin did not force it to stay, it chose to do so. Its methods/motives have changed. It has also directly intervened to save humanity on multiple occasions- the original collapse, Ghaul, apparently it actually made a shield during the Almighty crash, and end of Arrivals/start of Beyond Light.

Additionally, there is a bit in Unveiling, talking about how the Gardener/Traveler is making a final stand/gambit, which informs us of the Darkness/Winnower/Witness' motives re: convincing Guardians to turn away from the Traveler rather than just smashing everything. So Traveler still trying to run would undo that.

Third is Fynch- while there are some bad apple ghosts who seem to delight in helping the Hive gently caress up Guardians/Humans (Immaru), Fynch honestly seems flabbergasted that 'his' knight turned out bad? But why, it's so obvious that's what would happen... or is it? The Hive Risen would come back without memories- so there's no reason Hive Risen would immediately default to sacrifices and fighting humans/guardians. In fact, one of this week's lucent moth lorebooks points to this! Fynch probably expected (naively) that Hive Risen would not fight Guardians, and would work as... maybe not friends or even allies, but at least not draining each other of light and killing ghosts. So I think Fynch is kind of a stand-in for the Traveler here- it's handing out this power for the philosophical belief that those with it would, more often than not, do good and cooperate (again, somewhat detailed in Unveiling). But Savathun and the Hive were already prepared to counter-act the memory loss and indoctrinate new Hive and inform Savathun of her plan.

Which brings us to Savathun, finally. First, she's probably somewhat incorrect that the Traveler would be safe in her throneworld, on account of it already has a Pyramid inside it and is under attack by Scorn/Darkness anyway...

but second is that she actually seems to have a disconnect of what she thinks the Guardians are fighting for vs what they are. Her dying words were all "oh I could've protected the Traveler for you, isn't that what you want?" but as Ikora said earlier in the same mission, the goal is not to protect the Traveler itself, it is to protect humanity and the Traveler facilitates that. And that's the fundamental difference in philosophy between the Light/Dark. And there's the tragedy- Sathona and her sisters could've been champions of the Light, whether as proto-Hive (remember that a big portion of why they do what they do was to save their race, although it was a trick, and that was perverted into 'power for its own sake') or as new Risen. Now I mean yeah sure she's a tricky goddess of lies and such but I do think we're supposed to take her at face value once we show her the worm memory and start getting the 'thread cutter' buffs- we're cutting through her web of lies to the heart of things, and that means her honest thoughts and feelings.

The Traveler doesn't know the future, it doesn't know what people will do with the Light. To some extent I'm not even sure it can make plans, because those are essentially, of the Darkness (the excising of the infinite potential ways things could be in favour of the one design most advantageous for the planner). It just kind of... does things as "this is new/interesting". Though as mentioned, one this it does actually seem to really want is for humanity to survive. But in any case I don't think it wanted Savathun to do anything specific, in the same way it didn't want Dredgen Yor or the Warlords to do what they do, it wants those with power to act in ways that benefit others. So Savathun and her Lucent Brood immediately murking Guardians and draining their Light, or Savathun moving the Traveler which would result in Guardians being powerless and thus humans (and the Eliksni in the Tower, and the weakening of Awoken and Caitl's Cabal) being defenseless...

e; oh yeah, there's also Harbiger/Hawkmoon as another instance where the Traveler has apparently directly influenced/helped an active Guardian- again, why do that if it's plan was to peace out asap?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 3, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Quote is not edit

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
jesus christ whoever designed the last chance can eat my rear end

just wave after wave of poo poo thats challenging in the completely unfun way and not the interesting or good way

I died on the last part of the loving right hand when the last wave of her adds spawned too. I was almost done and it'll probably be the weekend before I can bring myself to even attempt that poo poo again

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I hope that if/when they make a Destiny 3, Bungie figures out a way to keep players engaged without this fuckin' monotonous power level grind.

I just finished the excellent Witch Queen campaign, and then spent a few hours trying to make sense of all these quests, grinding bounties, etc, before realizing I don't want to do this anymore. In previous xpacs, I'd at least get ready ready.

I think I might just watch it on youtube this time.