Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody who talks in reverent tones about the honesty and fairness of a Souls game is a complete loving liar and they know it. If I can gain even the slightest advantage from exploiting geometry and pounding on that lovely giant where it can't hit back thanks to being on a slope, you can bet I'm doing that and I'll do it every time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You just gotta git gud son.

Now, to beat the Capra Demon, just throw bombs over the fog wall to kill him without dying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Philippe posted:

I've never had a single iota of patience for "git gud". If you're gonna give advice for how to play well, be more specific.

Oh you need helpful easy to understand advice? Sure thing!

https://i.imgur.com/uAwpheR.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/dWc1fPM.mp4

Just don't get hit. None of From's bosses are difficult if you don't let them hit you.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"Dodge to avoid enemy attacks"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"git gud" should be reclaimed imo. Miyazaki has said his goals with the games are stuff like "make dying fun" and "sense of accomplishment from solving a video game problem which is easier than real life problems". That is to say, gitting gud is the fun. Recontextualise "git gud" from a sneering dismissal to excited encouragement, Kamina from Gurren Lagann style. Git gud! I believe in you!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thing dragging Elden Ring down for me: it is literally unplayable due to bad performance on PC.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

Anybody who talks in reverent tones about the honesty and fairness of a Souls game is a complete loving liar and they know it. If I can gain even the slightest advantage from exploiting geometry and pounding on that lovely giant where it can't hit back thanks to being on a slope, you can bet I'm doing that and I'll do it every time!

Congratulations; you gitted gud.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Philippe posted:

I've never had a single iota of patience for "git gud". If you're gonna give advice for how to play well, be more specific.

it’s one of those things that’s pointless to ever say because the phrase exists as a mockery of the exact kind of person who would say it unironically, but when used as a joke it’s still tired and overdone at this point, much like the thousandth identical “try jumping” message on the edge of a cliff

Snake Maze posted:

To be fair, when used at all it is in practice generally used as a way to dismiss people saying the game is bad because it's too hard, and not as a sincere attempt to provide help. I find souls fans are generally pretty happy to talk about boss strategies in depth as long as you're not starting the conversation with "this game is bad".

sometimes a gripe is just a gripe

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tbh the worst thing about elden ring is when you get hit by a blue shell right before finishing

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it’s one of those things that’s pointless to ever say because the phrase exists as a mockery of the exact kind of person who would say it unironically, but hole

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
souls games have never derided players for doing whatever they can to get ahead. kiting, arrow plinking, terrain exploitation, magic spam, it’s all up for grabs and the horse in Elden Ring adds a whole new dimension of it. you basically get a 3x speed/maneuverability boost and a 1.5x damage boost at the press of a button, in exchange for losing access to magic and iframe rolls on horseback

they do have countermeasures against cheesing sometimes but it’s always gentle. spamming projectiles on high-leveled humanoid enemies will often have them just hop out of the way and continue to advance. “ahaha, nice try, you rapscallion”

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

in exchange for losing access to magic and iframe rolls on horseback

You can't dodge roll on horseback? Literally unplayable.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oxxidation posted:

in exchange for losing access to magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i06irnEcXE

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

if a game threw an absurd amount of wolf warnings at me from environmental signs to "warning wolf" messages to the wolf radar beeping and I took its warnings to heart, proceeding with the utmost care, checking every corner for wolves and second guessing every dimly lit pathway, only for a huge wolf to drop from the sky and flatten me like it was a Looney Tunes piano, I couldn't even be angry.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We all know gamers can't look up

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

if a game threw an absurd amount of wolf warnings at me from environmental signs to "warning wolf" messages to the wolf radar beeping and I took its warnings to heart, proceeding with the utmost care, checking every corner for wolves and second guessing every dimly lit pathway, only for a huge wolf to drop from the sky and flatten me like it was a Looney Tunes piano, I couldn't even be angry.

it made me laugh out loud when it happened, seriously

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm pretty sure I didn't see a single warning on the way there, now that I think about it. I was able to take them out (that's where you get the tutorial about taking out enemy groups right) but I guess I came at it from the wrong side or something

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

Eh, in my experience the Souls games really are fair a lot of the time. ...But not absolutely 100% fair by any stretch of the imagination.

The problem is that From uses a really specific sort of teasing, almost jokey assholishness in designing encounters and you kinda just either gel with it or get frustrated and bounce off the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This is my favorite "Bloodborne is fair" moment

https://youtu.be/QvBTQC5lEVg

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Dark Souls is fair is really more of a comment on the type of hard it is overall. Getting killed by some random trap bullshit is kinda whatever, you'll just know what to do next time. Like most things in the game it's just a matter of figuring out what to do and then working on execution a bit. It's not like some of the very oldschool hard games where it's hard to figure out wtf is even going wrong or the execution requirement is bullshit. Or the arcade version of hard where it's literally (or as close as it makes little difference) not possible to complete the game without popping money into the machine.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Len posted:

This is my favorite "Bloodborne is fair" moment

https://youtu.be/QvBTQC5lEVg

This seems pretty well-telegraphed (and unless I'm crazy can't you maneuver around all of the pigs and Visceral Attack them before they aggro?) but the actual hilarious cheap kills in Bloodborne are too great. :allears: The...incident outside of Oedeon Chapel is so amazing, it's right where you can risk running right back out to grab your echoes, but you'll be too freaked out by what the gently caress just happened to do it. Then later on when you grow eyes in your brain and can actually see them....

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Playing Elden Ring some more (which I still quite enjoy despite what I'm about to bitch about), I'm coming to the conclusion that I just fundamentally don't really like Soulslike bossfights. Mostly I'd put this down to the habit of making very nearly every single boss attack deal something like 50% of your HP in damage. It just completely kills the pace of the fight for me, as taking any hit at all leads to having to backpedal to take a sip. More importantly, it pushes the player towards passivity. There's rarely any point in taking the initiative and attacking from neutral, or riding the edge to try and sneak in one more hit, because the risk just plain isn't worth it. It doesn't so much feel like I'm fighting with the boss as I'm fighting around them, just baiting out punishable attacks in a manner that feels very gamey and inorganic.

Also, last but certainly not least, that makes it feel extra aggravating whenever you take a hit because the game's performance is getting fucky, or the camera is acting up once again, or the horrendous input buffering got you.

Level Vit more. The scaling is different than it was in previous games because the game is a lot longer. Until you hit a certain cap each point of vit adds more than the last.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phigs posted:

Dark Souls is fair is really more of a comment on the type of hard it is overall. Getting killed by some random trap bullshit is kinda whatever, you'll just know what to do next time. Like most things in the game it's just a matter of figuring out what to do and then working on execution a bit. It's not like some of the very oldschool hard games where it's hard to figure out wtf is even going wrong or the execution requirement is bullshit. Or the arcade version of hard where it's literally (or as close as it makes little difference) not possible to complete the game without popping money into the machine.

It still does that though.

I fell into a trap in The Depths and got cursed and killed by basilisks. That'd be fine in most situations (next time I'd know what to look for) but the curse debuff is incredibly debilitating, persists through death, and the only ways of removing it aren't signposted and require a huge amount of backtracking.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The little thing dragging this game down is all the people who like it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rockman Reserve posted:

This seems pretty well-telegraphed (and unless I'm crazy can't you maneuver around all of the pigs and Visceral Attack them before they aggro?) but the actual hilarious cheap kills in Bloodborne are too great. :allears: The...incident outside of Oedeon Chapel is so amazing, it's right where you can risk running right back out to grab your echoes, but you'll be too freaked out by what the gently caress just happened to do it. Then later on when you grow eyes in your brain and can actually see them....

Uh...you see the part where I'm standing on a wall and it charges the wall and hits me right?

Because I'm pretty sure the pig isn't supposed to be able to do that?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It still does that though.

I fell into a trap in The Depths and got cursed and killed by basilisks. That'd be fine in most situations (next time I'd know what to look for) but the curse debuff is incredibly debilitating, persists through death, and the only ways of removing it aren't signposted and require a huge amount of backtracking.

Yeah I hate curse as a mechanic too. But the general vibe of Dark Souls is one of fair difficulty and deaths that are reasonable enough that it's your fault. That's how it was sold to me, that the overall tone/difficulty of DS is a fair type of difficulty, and I found it generally true. I think people then just took it too far until it became every death is fair. Which is not true. Kinda the same as how git gud got to where it is now from the fact that yeah, Dark Souls is the kind of game where you just need to get better at it most of the time, there's not some weird trick you're missing, you're just not executing well enough yet (exceptions exist again, like Bed of Chaos). Basically the fandom just takes these things too far.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

"The enemy clipping through the wall was telegraphed" isn't exactly a defense I ever thought I'd see someone use but here we are

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Len posted:

"The enemy clipping through the wall was telegraphed" isn't exactly a defense I ever thought I'd see someone use but here we are

big attacks by big enemies clipping through small walls is such a universal gaming experience i had no idea that's what you were inanely bitching about lmao

e: actual thing dragging Elden Ring down is this is the second time it has crashed my entire ps5 instead of loading the title screen, idk what the gently caress that's about but it triggers a full system repair. Ugh.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Mar 3, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sometime Dark Souls is just dumb and bad. They are all great games but sometimes they do stupid stuff.

Case in point, the windmill from 2

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

The little thing dragging this game down is all the people who like it.

I don't really mind loud Fromsoft fans.

Loud Goon Fromsoft fans on the other hand...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What's dragging souls games down is that they're fair. I don't want fair, I want to be a death God marching through levels, ripping and tearing

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Opopanax posted:

What's dragging souls games down is that they're fair. I don't want fair, I want to be a death God marching through levels, ripping and tearing

bullshit, Dark Souls isn't fair. it's a huge mash of unintuitive game mechanics that aren't explained in-game, punishing you for experimenting and exploring, and rewarding you for reading an online guide. It is the epitome of unfair, in my opinion. And in my experience, once you do read those guides and understand how everything works and build your character properly, you do become an unstoppable god of death. I haven't played any of the other souls games but from what I've heard it sounds like that design philosophy was consistent throughout.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rockman Reserve posted:

big attacks by big enemies clipping through small walls is such a universal gaming experience i had no idea that's what you were inanely bitching about lmao

e: actual thing dragging Elden Ring down is this is the second time it has crashed my entire ps5 instead of loading the title screen, idk what the gently caress that's about but it triggers a full system repair. Ugh.

That's just my Tough But Fair moment recorded to bring out whenever people talk about how it's fair

And then you immediately slam defend it lmao

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
FromSoft's technical incompetence has always been the thing dragging their games down for me. 30 fps limit that fans patched within a week, unable to connect to friends without fan patches, sekiro giving me gamebreaking bugs if shadowplay is enabled, the elden ring performance on PC, plus randomly not starting sometimes, it's all so terrible.

poo poo, souls invasion netcode for me is barely more responsive than what I used to put up with for Jedi Knight. 20 years ago. Across the pacific. On 56k.

Yeah, the idea of invasions is neat, but if the delivery is dogshit then I'm going to ignore it.

There's so much fun to be had, but gently caress do they make me work for it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Haha yeah this is north of storm gate. Wolves just fall from the sky. Not sure if intended or not. There’s a similar thing in the NW of Liurnia where an entire procession of fire monks just blinks in and out of existence

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

My thing dragging down Elden Ring is I have no clue why I'm doing anything. Like in the broad sense I know I need to collect big souls to reform the elden ring. Anything more specific that, nah. I'm just running around the world fighting. I've played dark souls games and samurai souls at release before and picked up the jist of things. Elden ring I'm just entirely befuddled, there are hollows? Is there an undeath curse? I don't remember anyone saying that. Its gorgeous, the fighting is tight but people say baffling things to you, you agree to their requests but you don't know what to do about them. There's one quest that's I need you to go find a golden needle in a swamp and I'll explain what happened here. Go find a needle in a swamp, that's worse than a haystack. In like 6 months someone will make a video explaining what the gently caress is going on but in the meantime I'm just stumbling around the world like I'm on ether and extremely belligerent

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Perhaps it is the game that needs to git gud.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Goofballs posted:

My thing dragging down Elden Ring is I have no clue why I'm doing anything. Like in the broad sense I know I need to collect big souls to reform the elden ring. Anything more specific that, nah. I'm just running around the world fighting. I've played dark souls games and samurai souls at release before and picked up the jist of things. Elden ring I'm just entirely befuddled, there are hollows? Is there an undeath curse? I don't remember anyone saying that. Its gorgeous, the fighting is tight but people say baffling things to you, you agree to their requests but you don't know what to do about them. There's one quest that's I need you to go find a golden needle in a swamp and I'll explain what happened here. Go find a needle in a swamp, that's worse than a haystack. In like 6 months someone will make a video explaining what the gently caress is going on but in the meantime I'm just stumbling around the world like I'm on ether and extremely belligerent

Ah befuddled one. Seek the lord of baffle.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Vic posted:

Ah befuddled one. Seek the lord of baffle.

I'm like 40 hours in. My toon is pushing 70 and I've taken out 3 big souls. Basic questions about what is the rot and why is it elude me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Goofballs posted:

I'm like 40 hours in. My toon is pushing 70 and I've taken out 3 big souls. Basic questions about what is the rot and why is it elude me.

the premise is basically kill 6 billion demons

queen marika, who was essentially the earthy representative of god (or the "supreme will") one day chose to divide the elden ring, the symbol of her divine power, among her descendants. said descendants almost immediately went to war, as lovely relatives do, and the battle was so bloody that god went "i'm not cleaning this mess up" and abandoned the world, which led to the shattering, a state where time, space, life and death are all knotted up. the tarnished are acolytes guided by god's lingering grace to reclaim the elden ring and repair the world. in typical souls fashion, the "main" quest isn't that simple

as for the rot, two of the main combatants in the war were general radahn of caelid, and malenia, the blade of miquella. malenia was afflicted with the scarlet rot - cursed hyper-leprosy, basically - from birth, but was a fearsome combatant in spite of it, and took her personal retinue on a crusade against radahn. as a consequence of the battle, her sickness contaminated caelid and ran amok in the shattering's aftermath, so that caelid is now literally the most horrible place in the world