Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know who I am saying this to exactly but I wish there was a version of this song where she was singing about oo-max instead of saying "woman" because it puts a lot of strain on me to sub in oo-mox myself.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=6uj7f4xK6Yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had no idea they were there

Something to look out for in the HD release! :gbsmith:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

S4-15: First Contact
Riker is wounded while infiltrating an alien planet in preparation for first contact, so Picard has to speed up the process. I appreciate how Riker has his story ready to explain his physical abnormalities even though I think he might've come more prepared than just wear mittens over his hands. I liked how the first minister was quite suspicious of Picard in a way that initially made me dislike him, but the fact that the episode is largely from the aliens' point of view helped sell the notion that his mistrust isn't that unreasonable. I loved Bebe Neuwirth's small part as a horny groupie for aliens, her scene with Frakes was hilarious. Really love Carolyn Seymour whenever she shows up too. Great episode, even if it feels a little rushed that the decision not to go ahead with further contact falls on one single man to make, but that's the usual issue of scale in sci-fi shows and movies.

S4-22: Half A Life
“Counselor's log: my mother is on board.” And then Picard furtively sneaking peeks through a doorway. That's one of the best jokes TNG's ever done. David Ogden-Stiers guest stars as a scientist from a civilization that believes when people reach the end of middle age, they must end their own life. And he's absolutely phenomenal. Just this incredible soft, gentle performance of a man being torn up inside by regret and fear and doubts. Majel doesn't have his kind of acting chops, but does an admirable job as Lwaxana wrestles with the cultural divide and having to admit to the fear of growing old. I was surprised to see Michelle Forbes make her first Star Trek appearance as the scientist's daughter too. I can't remember what it was like to go in on this episode blind, expecting a goofy Lwaxana episode and being hit in the face with this. Second episode to get me teary-eyed, an extremely good one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

First Contact is easily in my top five TNG episodes.

It has a cool story, action, thinking big thoughts, and all of the stuff that you could want. Even comedy.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
“I’ll call you the next time I pass through your star system” is one of the greatest lines in all of TNG.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

His expression when she's touching his fingers and he's just like "ugh, guess I have to bang my way out of another one." Priceless.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

S4-25: In Theory
A crewmember falls in love with Data and he decides to attempt a relationship. This episode is a lot funnier than I remembered it; in my memory Data was a lot more self-serving and less honest about how he approaches the relationship, which gave it the idea of a cruel experiment he undertakes at a crewmate's expense. I like that he actually is quite open about it to her, and even approaches the whole idea with caution. I just find the conclusion, where she breaks up with him and he tells her coldly that he'll delete the program he wrote for their relationship, rather bleak. Data's emotional development is never consistent throughout the series, but I feel like that's not the Data who transferred Lal's memories into himself to make her part of him. I would've preferred him reflecting on that he failed at having a relationship, but will continue to learn from the experience, instead of putting it in the trashbin. If you try hard, I guess you could interpret it similarly to the scene from the other episode where Data gives Tasha's sister the cold shoulder after betraying him – he's upset at the relationship ending, and responds by 'hiding' in his emotionless robot behavior.

I do find it super sweet that when he goes to Worf for advice, Worf sternly warns him not to hurt someone under his command or else.

The B-plot of the ship experiencing weird phase distortions as a result of some nebula is very obvious filler material that is extremely hard to care about. Picard weirdly insists on risking his life leading the ship from a shuttle, I wonder if that happened because Stewart apparently directed the episode.

S4-26/S5-1: Redemption
The Enterprise travels to the Klingon homeworld for Picard to finish Gowron's installment as the new Klingon chancellor. Spurred on by Picard, Worf seizes on the chance to reclaim his family's honor. I fondly remember the Klingon-centric episodes of TNG from my childhood, and I think Worf was my favorite character, but I've become struck by how stubbornly dumb Worf not only is, but seems to remain for the entirety of the series. Gowron transparently manipulates Worf with ease, but basically any Klingon Worf encounters does that. He never seems to learn or become any more resilient to manipulation. People have pointed out how Worf gets clowned in fights all the time to sell the idea that his adversary is dangerous, but he's also the one main cast member who gets tricked on the regular.

For that matter, how did this guy go through Starfleet Academy and several years of serving and he's still the guy whose first response to anything is “we should try shooting it”? Like fine if you don't share Starfleet's values even though you busted your rear end to work on one of its ships, but shouldn't you at some point start realizing the people around you aren't cool with always antagonizing space clouds and lens flares?

Does Worf's age get definitively stated anywhere? I feel like a lot of Worf's character starts making more sense if he's actually close to a Klingon teenager for most of TNG.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

davidspackage posted:

S4-15: First Contact
Riker is wounded while infiltrating an alien planet in preparation for first contact, so Picard has to speed up the process. I appreciate how Riker has his story ready to explain his physical abnormalities even though I think he might've come more prepared than just wear mittens over his hands. I liked how the first minister was quite suspicious of Picard in a way that initially made me dislike him, but the fact that the episode is largely from the aliens' point of view helped sell the notion that his mistrust isn't that unreasonable. I loved Bebe Neuwirth's small part as a horny groupie for aliens, her scene with Frakes was hilarious. Really love Carolyn Seymour whenever she shows up too. Great episode, even if it feels a little rushed that the decision not to go ahead with further contact falls on one single man to make, but that's the usual issue of scale in sci-fi shows and movies.

S4-22: Half A Life
“Counselor's log: my mother is on board.” And then Picard furtively sneaking peeks through a doorway. That's one of the best jokes TNG's ever done. David Ogden-Stiers guest stars as a scientist from a civilization that believes when people reach the end of middle age, they must end their own life. And he's absolutely phenomenal. Just this incredible soft, gentle performance of a man being torn up inside by regret and fear and doubts. Majel doesn't have his kind of acting chops, but does an admirable job as Lwaxana wrestles with the cultural divide and having to admit to the fear of growing old. I was surprised to see Michelle Forbes make her first Star Trek appearance as the scientist's daughter too. I can't remember what it was like to go in on this episode blind, expecting a goofy Lwaxana episode and being hit in the face with this. Second episode to get me teary-eyed, an extremely good one.

I think Half a Life might genuinely be in my personal TNG Top 10 because of the performances. It gets me every time and the downer ending hits so much harder because normally you’d expect a Trek episode to find some way to convince him to live or end in a big courtroom scene with an impassioned Picard speech.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Memory Alpha says he was born in 2340, which would have made him around 24 at the beginning of TNG. I think that age sort of fits TNG-era Worf pretty well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

davidspackage posted:

ersary is dangerous, but he's also the one main cast member who gets tricked on the regular.

For that matter, how did this guy go through Starfleet Academy and several years of serving and he's still the guy whose first response to anything is “we should try shooting it”? Like fine if you don't share Starfleet's values even though you busted your rear end to work on one of its ships, but shouldn't you at some point start realizing the people around you aren't cool with always antagonizing space clouds and lens flares?

To be fair, just shooting from the start would have solved about 40% of episodes where he offers it as an option

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
And also, you can imagine the response on any Klingon ship that encountered the kind of poo poo the Enterprise does would be "shoot it until it stops being a problem" most of the time, occasional V'gers notwithstanding.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
24 is pretty old for a Klingon though? Don't they grow up faster than Humans?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

thotsky posted:

Man I'm wondering about teenage Worf playing soccer with equivalent aged kids and no wonder he killed someone. The NCAA must be a mess in Star Trek, you've got Kelpians just dunking from half court and a Horta DT in football just straight up melting people. I'm guessing you'd end up with something like the Paralympic classification system.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

J33uk posted:

The NCAA must be a mess in Star Trek
There's nothing in the rule book that says a Q can't play basketball.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Payndz posted:

And also, you can imagine the response on any Klingon ship that encountered the kind of poo poo the Enterprise does would be "shoot it until it stops being a problem" most of the time, occasional V'gers notwithstanding.

Worf's always trying to be the most Klingon he thinks he can be, he probably sees a glowing gentle space turtle on the viewscreen trying to suckle the Enterprise and all the crew is going "awww!", and he's thinking "I'd better suggest exploding it with photon torpedoes so they think I'm a badass"

Of course, then they rebuke him and the space turtle starts draining the ship's energy.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm about to show my children (11 and 9) tng for the first time and it's been over 10 years since my last watch through.

I can't wait for there reactions but I know if I build it up too much it makes it more likely they wont like it so I'm going softly softly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Someone write a fanfic where it is the Enterprise D captained by Picard that originally encounters the planet in The Omega Glory. I wanna see how that plays out.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Weirdly enough Picard orders the planet glassed from orbit.

Then it cuts to the credit sequence and the rest of the episode is a light hearted slice of life of Picard, Seven, and Romulan Legolas at a theme park. (Space Captain and Rafi were detained at the gate in a hilarious mixup.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm about to show my children (11 and 9) tng for the first time and it's been over 10 years since my last watch through.

I can't wait for there reactions but I know if I build it up too much it makes it more likely they wont like it so I'm going softly softly.
And here in the very second episode Data informs everyone that his penis is fully functional.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Weirdly enough Picard orders the planet glassed from orbit.

Then it cuts to the credit sequence and the rest of the episode is a light hearted slice of life of Picard, Seven, and Romulan Legolas at a theme park. (Space Captain and Rafi were detained at the gate in a hilarious mixup.)

TNG cross-cut between Picard's insane lust for death and wacky comedy all the time. Nothing new there :v:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What is the most tonal whiplash between an A and B plot in a Trek episode anyway?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

What is the most tonal whiplash between an A and B plot in a Trek episode anyway?

Meridian comes to mind. Cost of Living, too.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

HD DAD posted:

I think it's either Ascent from DS9 (A plot: Odo and Quark are stranded on an alpine planet and nearly die trying to set up an emergency beacon; B plot: Nog and Jake are bad roommates), or Force of Nature from TNG (A plot: a pair of siblings are disabling ships to get people to pay attention to their theory that warp engines are tearing space apart, B plot: Spot is a naughty cat)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

I'm going to go with "Silent Enemy" in Enterprise. Aliens inexplicably try to destroy the ship while Archer tries to find out Reed's favorite food.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
DS9's Life Support has to be up there - a) Bashir has to use increasing invasive methods to keep a mortally wounded Vedek Bareil alive long enough to conclude a peace treaty with the Cardassians in the limited time he has left. b) Jake and Nog go on a double date which ends badly, Jake learns that cultural differences like "deeply ingrained misogyny" need not ruin a friendship

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
VOY's Hunters is also a good one: A) Tuvok and Seven are captured and almost murdered by a pair of ruthless eight foot tall skullfucker aliens, B) Neelix delivers the mail! :buddy:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thotsky posted:

They seem to mature faster but may also live longer. I mean this isn't that bizarre, turtles work the same way and Klingons kind have turtle ridge heads.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The one where the A plot is Kira joining a Bajoran civil war and the B plot is O'Brien is good at darts is also up there, perhaps not for tonal whiplash but for the difference in stakes

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Data's Day is kinda off deliberately on opposite ends of the spectrum - Data Navigates Social Intricacies Around A Wedding vs Did Romulans Assassinate An Ambassador? But it's very much aware of that and inverting the A/B structure.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thotsky posted:

That's one of those setting elements that was not thought through well at all, and came about entirely because the writers wanted to do stories about Worf being a single father.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

Maybe that Discovery episode where Burnham learns about love in between bouts of Harry Mudd repeatedly murdering the captain and crew in increasingly brutal ways

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

They seem to mature faster but may also live longer. I mean this isn't that bizarre, turtles work the same way and Klingons kind have turtle ridge heads.

I now accept Klingons as space-turtles.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was the real reason Worf wanted help committing suicide. It wasn't because his spine was injured; it was because he was flat on his back and too embarrassed to ask for help flipping over.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Klingon lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, Data?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tunicate posted:

The Klingon lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, Data?
I'm now mentally replacing "I cannot permit this to continue" with "Let me tell you about my mother."

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I've started DS9 (again), and...are there any first season episodes I can skip? I've heard it doesn't really get going until season 2; I'm in episode 5 and...this is a bit boring. I know Duet is supposed to be a must watch episode (and from the last time I started DS9 I know I can skip the Q episode), but that's about it.

edit: or is it just this episode in particular?

Vertigo Ambrosia fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 3, 2022

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Move Along Home is pretty dire

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxyYf5MXVSGZ6SpFe9W0rBCdQPNJHbGKr5

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Move Along Home is a top 10 episode

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I've started DS9 (again), and...are there any first season episodes I can skip? I've heard it doesn't really get going until season 2; I'm in episode 5 and...this is a bit boring. I know Duet is supposed to be a must watch episode (and from the last time I started DS9 I know I can skip the Q episode), but that's about it.

edit: or is it just this episode in particular?

The Storyteller is unbearable dreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Must watch are Duet and the season finale.

I’d also recommend The Nagus, Battle Lines, Progress, and The Forsaken for continuing plot lines/recurring characters/character development.

Move Along Home is silly and controversial, but I like it and if nothing else it comes up a lot in the thread.

Storyteller and Wishes Were Horses are pretty universally acknowledged to be poo poo.

The rest maybe give a shot but skip if you’re not feeling it?