Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

qhat posted:

You are completely correct that these interview processes are antiquated and at best only valuable for sifting new graduates, not highly experienced engineers. It’s actually insulting, to be honest. That being said, for hundreds of thousands more dollars a year, I would drink gasoline if it meant getting an offer that is undeniably life changing.

I'm still not sure whether the current leetcode style interview is a net plus or minus for the interviewees

OTOH: it's dumb af and has nothing to do with your job

OTOH: at this stage the amount of effort you have to put in to get -good- at doing those types of interviews is a fraction of what you would be putting in to get through even a single semester of a CS degree, and the returns on being good at algorithms is way higher than doing well in any of your courses in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Typo posted:

I'm still not sure whether the current leetcode style interview is a net plus or minus for the interviewees

OTOH: at this stage the amount of effort you have to put in to get -good- at doing those types of interviews is a fraction of what you would be putting in to get through even a single semester of a CS degree, and the returns on being good at algorithms is way higher than doing well in any of your courses in school.

There is a reason that the joke is the only thing Google interviews select for is people highly motivated to work at Google.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Typo posted:

They are definitely not a net minus for the interviewee if they get an offer. I mean we're talking about crushing some arguably quite easy but irritatingly obtuse questions and getting lucky with the question in the tech screen. You can often re-apply after 6 months anyway, so you have a bunch of shots. I would absolutely not waste my time with these styles of interview if we're talking about an average comp since there are plenty of places that recognise how useless they are. However, for 300-500k a year, that is absolutely worth it and an opportunity most everyone would kill for.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i don't understand complaining about leetcode (as a candidate)

if you practice leetcode a couple hours a week it becomes very, very easy to show well in leetcode style interviews. you'd be really hard pressed to find a better financial payoff for that kind of time investment anywhere really

i get that the interviews themselves are fairly silly and a poor filter for hiring but i never want them to go away

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the talent deficit posted:

if you practice leetcode a couple hours a week it becomes very, very easy to show well in leetcode style interviews. you'd be really hard pressed to find a better financial payoff for that kind of time investment anywhere really

i get that the interviews themselves are fairly silly and a poor filter for hiring but i never want them to go away

I think the complaints mostly stem from:

1. Being able to solve the problems does not represent anything more than someone who practices leetcode during the week, as opposed to their professional competence. On top of it feeling very unfair and dismissive of real experience, it makes you wonder what kind of people you're going to be working with if you do succeed.
2. That they are only slightly less obtuse versions of the stupid brainteaser questions that MS used to be famous for in the 2000's. To be consistent, you need to do leetcode regularly and read CTCI, which feels more like a hazing rather than a well thought out interview that treats the candidate with respect.

Yes, the financial payouts are absolutely worth it if you can succeed the interview, but that doesn't mean the person is wrong for throwing up a bit in their mouth when their smuglord under-30s interviewer smirks while explaining the two pointer method of two-sum.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

It's mostly that it makes me very skeptical of what kind of working environment I'm supposed to expect at a place that does this kind of thing.
Obviously I will put up with some poo poo for a few years if I take in a million dollars in those years but I do actually want to enjoy my work and not just be doing it for the money you know.

Apologies to non keyboard touchers for this takeover of the housing thread.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So I have a loose acquaintance who's been offered a grad student position at uVic. Would she get any sort of housing stipend or on-campus accommodation or is it just massively dire over there?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Fidelitious posted:

Apologies to non keyboard touchers for this takeover of the housing thread.

sir, this is a very interesting story and all, but please: I've already said "THANK YOU FOR KEEPING ME EMPLOYED" into your Amazon Ring (as requested), and the only thing I need to do now is to just take a picture of the food to verify that I've delivered it

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So I have a loose acquaintance who's been offered a grad student position at uVic. Would she get any sort of housing stipend or on-campus accommodation or is it just massively dire over there?

Massively dire. Victoria is a rental train wreck right now. FB groups and Reddit are full of stories of people struggling to find any accommodation.

I’ve never heard of any grad student stipend coming with housing but it’s worth asking. UVic has always had an under supply of housing and the situation has only become worse of late.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

qhat posted:

They are definitely not a net minus for the interviewee if they get an offer. I mean we're talking about crushing some arguably quite easy but irritatingly obtuse questions and getting lucky with the question in the tech screen. You can often re-apply after 6 months anyway, so you have a bunch of shots. I would absolutely not waste my time with these styles of interview if we're talking about an average comp since there are plenty of places that recognise how useless they are. However, for 300-500k a year, that is absolutely worth it and an opportunity most everyone would kill for.

leetcode style interviews are pretty universal for developers now, not just for google or whatever

yeah I actually agree, I do wonder if this particular gravy train stops being a thing in a few years

not only that but the alternative interview style are "take home assignments", which generally means you are doing 2-8 hours of free work. And leetcode skills are trasnferable (you are basically taking the same test over and over again), so even failing means you are grinding up the skill nessessary to pass the interview next time. Whereas "code this thing for free" isn't.

Typo fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 21, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Massively dire. Victoria is a rental train wreck right now. FB groups and Reddit are full of stories of people struggling to find any accommodation.

I’ve never heard of any grad student stipend coming with housing but it’s worth asking. UVic has always had an under supply of housing and the situation has only become worse of late.

I can ask a friend of mine who’s a postdoc there, but I’m almost certain there isn’t any sort of grad student housing or financial support that’s even close to commensurate with the insanity of the market. Most students used to rent in and around the campus, especially the Gordon Head area because it had a decent supply of middle class housing, but from what I’ve heard the current fever pitch has swallowed that up as well, much reducing rental housing stock.

Whenever I’ve had acquaintances or colleagues ask about doing grad school at UVic or UBC over the years I always tell them the same thing, which is that yes they have some good programs and the area is beautiful but I would always pick other comparable options first because you’ll just have a better quality of life.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fidelitious posted:

It's mostly that it makes me very skeptical of what kind of working environment I'm supposed to expect at a place that does this kind of thing.

It tells you pretty much nothing about the environment. It’s the only way people know how to interview any more, for the most part. Places that don’t do that might be exceptionally good in some way (or might not), but you can’t really extrapolate anything from “makes you do dynamic programming in CoderPad”, for better or worse.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It’s only a banana, how much could it cost? $10?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Hubbert posted:

wow crazy how most of these stories tie in directly to Council and/or kneejerk short-term land use planning based upon NIMBY public outcry

:thunk:

quote:

B.C. prepares to remove some housing approval powers from local governments: minister

VICTORIA — The British Columbia government is considering taking away some of the permit powers municipal governments have to approve housing construction in an effort to get more homes built in the province, the housing minister says.

Dirk Meissner, The Canadian Press

--

David Eby, B.C.'s attorney general and minister responsible for housing, speaks in Vancouver on July 28, 2021. Eby is signaling the provincial government is preparing to remove some of the powers municipal governments have to approve housing developments in their communities. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

VICTORIA — The British Columbia government is considering taking away some of the permit powers municipal governments have to approve housing construction in an effort to get more homes built in the province, the housing minister says.

David Eby, who's also the attorney general, said the government is considering introducing legislation and regulatory changes this fall that could take the final decision-making authority for housing permit approvals out of the hands of local governments.

"The bottom line is that municipalities are not approving enough housing for our population growth," Eby said in an interview. "I think it's quite possible that we're going to need to be more prescriptive. One thing is clear is that the status quo is not acceptable."

Too many housing development proposals become stalled at the permit approval stage as local councils deliberate over building heights, parking issues and the character of neighbourhoods, he said.

This is happening as homeless encampments pop up across the province, rental units are difficult to find, house prices escalate and thousands of people are arriving in B.C. looking for places to live, said Eby.

Eby said cities should have the right to say where housing needs to go, what is a priority heritage area and where they want growth, "but they shouldn't be allowed to decide whether or not the housing goes ahead, which is currently where we are."

Eby said the government is looking at other jurisdictions that have implemented similar policies to increase housing supply, including California, Oregon, Washington stateand New Zealand, where state-level governments recently set minimum targets.

Craig Hodge, a member of the Union of B.C. Municipalities executive and a city councillor in Coquitlam, said the union has been working with the province on housing issues, but Eby's comments are a concern.

"We are receiving mixed messages right now and that is concerning, particularly because the UBCM and the province have had a long history of working together," said Hodge. "My main concern about some of the things the minister is talking about is making sure that we maintain local autonomy and the decision-making process in our communities."

The union does not believe there is a one-size fits all housing formula for communities, especially while there is a labour shortage and other issues that affect housing development, he said.

Every building permit application is different, said Hodge, adding that for every housing development Eby considers too slow, there are others that can proceed from permits to completion within one year.

"When you take that power away from municipalities you're taking away that power from the citizens of those municipalities," he said.

Eby said the government is speaking co-operatively with local governments about speeding up housing developments, but it's likely the government will move forward with legislation and regulatory changes this fall that focus on minimum housing development standards.

"I do think we're going to have to ultimately prescribe some minimum standards for municipalities, but right now it's a very active conversation and a lot of policy work as we prepare for the fall session when we hope to introduce some legislation on this," he said.

Prof. Andy Yan, director of the City Program at Simon Fraser University, said housing is a many-sided issue and the focusby the government on one facet will be challenging.

"Is the problem really the permitting process?" he asked. "Is it the zoning process? How much of this is a labour issue? How much of this is an infrastructure issue within municipalities to process these applications?"

Yan said working together with local governments on housing is more productive than imposing standards, but there is also room for the government to make housing development principles that municipalities must follow.

"To play hardball is also to understand that planning and community building is a team sport."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 21, 2022.

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 22, 2022

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

"The bottom line is that municipalities are not approving enough housing for our population growth," Eby said in an interview. "I think it's quite possible that we're going to need to be more prescriptive. One thing is clear is that the status quo is not acceptable."

Too many housing development proposals become stalled at the permit approval stage as local councils deliberate over building heights, parking issues and the character of neighbourhoods, he said.

This is happening as homeless encampments pop up across the province, rental units are difficult to find, house prices escalate and thousands of people are arriving in B.C. looking for places to live, said Eby.

Eby said cities should have the right to say where housing needs to go, what is a priority heritage area and where they want growth, "but they shouldn't be allowed to decide whether or not the housing goes ahead, which is currently where we are."

Eby said the government is looking at other jurisdictions that have implemented similar policies to increase housing supply, including California, Oregon, Washington state and New Zealand, where state-level governments recently set minimum targets.

Have we finally hit rock bottom and forced the province to do something, anything? Seems like Eby has been heavily telegraphing that he's going to do something, floating all sorts of trial balloons that the BC NDP can presumably poll against all summer.

NZ style liberalization of SFH exclusive areas would be the most dramatic and (presumably?) contentious idea. Eby doesn't seem to be emphasizing that approach, but doesn't dismiss it.

I'll bet they don't go that far, and instead focus on doing something about NIMBYs that use public hearings to try to delay projects to death.

Tbh doing something about liberalizing development processes and the building code is probably the duller but more effective thing for the province to. Even if Vancouver was sweepingly upzoned tomorrow, it's still gonna take forever to approve and get buildings completed with the current way we do things.

Interesting that "heritage area" is specifically called out here, with Eby apparently well comfortable with continuing to allow cities to decline to redevelop those areas, presumably so long as they're developing something somewhere else. With a Vancouver context has implications on the redevelopment of Shaughnessy, Kits, Strathcona, Mount Pleasant and Grandview Woodlands.

Kudos to Andy Yan here for once again getting himself quoted while avoiding taking any actual stance or adding any commentary of value.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

City planning is a team sport only when all the players are at least doing something. The end of dragged out permitting and endless community consultations must be combined with zoning changes for stuff to actually happen.

So I think the implied changes are good here. The province should set targets for the municipalities. The cities can hit those targets, building (useful) stuff in the places where they want to build. But if they drag their feet the province comes in and slams 40-storey towers wherever they want and rezones every SFH into rowhouses.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Fidelitious posted:

the province comes in and slams 40-storey towers wherever they want

This has never been anything other than a low-effort move that pretends to be smart urban planning but is the opposite.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Which demographic votes more now, developers or NIMBYs?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

leftist heap posted:

I think the BC NDP is hoping it's millennials on the outside looking in that want to buy non-existent townhouses and condos.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

I think the BC NDP is hoping it's millennials on the outside looking in that want to buy non-existent townhouses and condos.

Maybe but the change is going to have the most immediate impact on developers and NIMBYs, and both those groups have a lot more money and influence than millennial renters.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
How much does anyone want to wager than since Russia invaded Ukraine, interest rates will stay in the ditch? Just the excuse they were all looking for. Bring on currency devaluation!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I like to daydream that the asset seizures will help out with supply. Affordable superyachts and penthouses for the middle class.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

How much does anyone want to wager than since Russia invaded Ukraine, interest rates will stay in the ditch? Just the excuse they were all looking for. Bring on currency devaluation!

Wouldn't surprise me

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thanks for reminding me about that Russian diplomat who drove drunk and killed a woman in Ottawa a while back and got off scot free thanks to immunity.

e: gently caress, that was 21 years ago, and he got sentenced in Russia to 4 years in a penal colony?!

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 25, 2022

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

leftist heap posted:

One group funds the political campaigns and brings Councillors personal glory, the other group can rally entire neighborhoods to vote for - or against - certain candidates.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

eXXon posted:

Thanks for reminding me about that Russian diplomat who drove drunk and killed a woman in Ottawa a while back and got off scot free thanks to immunity.

e: gently caress, that was 21 years ago, and he got sentenced in Russia to 4 years in a penal colony?!

That is actually surprising and good(?)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1499044972384899084?s=20&t=PaFstY75saBGoM60mGzodQ

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Saw one of these today.

When society found out millenials have weird dishwashing habits the response wasn't that we should build adequate housing with kitchens that actually have a proper sink or dishwasher. No! They want usto invent a new way to spray soap directly onto the dishes and wash them one at a time!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

evilpicard posted:

Saw one of these today.

When society found out millenials have weird dishwashing habits the response wasn't that we should build adequate housing with kitchens that actually have a proper sink or dishwasher. No! They want usto invent a new way to spray soap directly onto the dishes and wash them one at a time!

you're generally right and justified to think this is lovely but i've seen tons of acclaim for this specific product from disabled people/disability support communities for people who have issues doing cleaning labour

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Rates are doubled!

Still pointless. The horse is out of the barn and over the horizon. Hope you all got your piece of this.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

For what it’s worth I’ve always cleaned my dishes one by one and I’ve made a normal bottle of soap last like 6 months or longer. Only places that I’ve had an extra sink for rinsing also have had dishwashers so 🤷‍♂️

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

you're generally right and justified to think this is lovely but i've seen tons of acclaim for this specific product from disabled people/disability support communities for people who have issues doing cleaning labour

Yeah, my fiancée’s colleagues in occupational therapy were talking about this thing the other day and we didn’t know what it was until we looked it up, but it’s a staple of their rehab teaching kitchen now apparently. Expensive, though. :smith:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Thanks for sharing that, I'm glad our society accidentally made something positive for people with disabilities instead of the usual

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Rates are doubled!

Still pointless. The horse is out of the barn and over the horizon. Hope you all got your piece of this.

A few more doublings will right the course.

Oh wait, they're only .25% a pop? Nevermind then.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, my fiancée’s colleagues in occupational therapy were talking about this thing the other day and we didn’t know what it was until we looked it up, but it’s a staple of their rehab teaching kitchen now apparently. Expensive, though. :smith:

Am I missing something about this product or can you just put diluted dish soap in a spray bottle from the hardware store?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

evilpicard posted:

When society found out millenials have weird dishwashing habits

Uh what are these weird dishwashing habits, i didn't think there was a 'wrong' way to wash dishes as looking as they come out clean

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yippee cahier posted:

Am I missing something about this product or can you just put diluted dish soap in a spray bottle from the hardware store?

I honestly have never used it, so I couldn’t say.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

For the record I have always washed dishes one at a time because one it's cleaner and two it's a pain to rinse when you only have a single sink. Every place I've had a double sink has also had a dishwasher.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

living with my boyfriend who never lived on his own before, I often find myself employing the same tone of voice my dad always used on me when he felt I hadn't loaded the dishwasher properly (dishes not pre-rinsed, facing the wrong way or touching etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Uh what are these weird dishwashing habits, i didn't think there was a 'wrong' way to wash dishes as looking as they come out clean

qhat posted:

For the record I have always washed dishes one at a time because one it's cleaner and two it's a pain to rinse when you only have a single sink. Every place I've had a double sink has also had a dishwasher.

Every rental unit I've had only had a single sink that was like 7" deep so it took a crazy long time to wash dishes one at a time and wasted tons of water and soap.

I've worked in restaurants for decades and can handwash essentially as fast as loading the dishwasher in a proper 2-3 sink kitchen.