Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What is the point of this post?

apt summary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia has several different large police-like armies, and tons of random conscripts to prop the numbers. They would, realistically speaking, only need to lock down the two Russian cities that matter at all - Moscow, and St. Petersburg.

There is a lot of land between Moscow and Ukraine that Russia needs to keep open for logistics.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Conscripts sound like not-ideal troops to order to shoot your own citizens.

I strongly doubt we’ll come to the point where they’re shooting citizens. They have hundreds of thousands of police-esque forces equipped for riot control. Conscript padding would only go in as much as to be a human wall performing encirclement of protests, so that they actually jail a few tens of thousands, to make an example out of them.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 3, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Judakel posted:

The sources were the same ones posted here with pro-Ukrainian content.

I editted it, but not the Azel guy claiming black people were being forbidden from leaving Ukraine.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't martial law require you to pull forces to put in your own cities?doesn't seem like the best option during an invasion

There are a lot of cops in Russia, and they're probably more likely to get violent with their own citizens than the army.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What other crazy aspects of post-Ussr culture do i need to know to properly understand this conflict

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This would be, but you could reach a conclusion that the West continues its attack on Russia by trying to destabilise the government now that it has rocked the economy boat.

Ya they're gonna say the west is trying to destabilize and then anyone who protests gets labeled as paid by foreign agitators

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I strongly doubt we’ll come to the point where they’re shouting citizens. They have hundreds of thousands of police-esque forces equipped for riot control. Conscript padding would only go in as much as to be a human wall performing encirclement of protests, so that they actually jail a few tens of thousands, to make an example out of them.

If you have protests of tens of thousands of people, do you really want a bunch of people with guns with no real loyalty to your regime there who are there because you made them be? I can’t see how that’s a good plan.

There’s a reason that dictators generally want their armies away from the capital except their most loyal elite group.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

My fellow western conspirators. It is time for the final color revolution.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Do y'all realize that martial law basically gives the state free hands to do anything they want kind of legally? For Russia it means they have to put 0 effort into hiding/obfuscating (well, they suck at it anyways) all the bad stuff.

Curfews, more heavy handed protest dispersals, more blocked websites etc. Basically legal basis to turn up the heat against people undermining the national sentiment.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Russia is not lacking in force, just lacking in forces stationed anywhere near Ukraine.

Keep in mind too that most of the soldiers in Russia are literally living off the land. By that I mean they have to have the civilian population of that area feed them.

Russia is currently unable to feed the 120,000 people it has in the country, which shows the instability of its economic prowess. But it also shows what the limit of this thing is. Like they may have activated the belarusians ETC but that was a one shot go. They don't have any more forces that can be anything but a clog in their major arteries

Заражена бодатая

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 3, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gorman Thomas posted:

Thanks for the read, didn't know the average Ukranian nationalist was such a fan of comparative literature!

I think I understand your underpinning question, wherein you may have speculated that “orcs” is used to call Russian Muslims from, e.g., Chechnya or Dagestan, as savages or to the sort. To that end, I can only regretfully inform you that there’s a wealth of very specific slurs in Russian and Ukrainian languages both. Ukrainian language even has a specific slur for a generic Russian, much like Russian does for a generic Ukrainian.

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What is the point of this post?

That's basically what it boiled down to.

More interesting would be to provide some information on Ukrainian offensive and defensive movements relative to Russian forward progress, instead of just criticizing people discussing "Ukrainian memes" while saying "Russia is winning on all fronts".

It doesn't mean it's inaccurate, but explain to everyone in the thread why Russia is winning on all fronts relative to what we are seeing reported, instead of using 2,000 words to basically say nothing of use besides "They're winning on all fronts."

Edit: Let me add: Someone saying that Russia is winning the war, and on all fronts, carries about much weight when not provided with proper sources as reliable individuals on Twitter. Explain the progress on the fronts and link to sources that back it up.

Saint Kyivanka fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 3, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

There is a lot of land between Moscow and Ukraine that Russia needs to keep open for logistics.

Rural Russia (literally anything except those two cities) is very conservative, and pro-government. There are strong regional movements, but almost all of those are beyond the Urals.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What other crazy aspects of post-Ussr culture do i need to know to properly understand this conflict

red borscht good, white borscht bad

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/YourAnonNews/status/1499127552509722627?s=20&t=oClIvFEhIwoJtZVP3Z6BZg

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Martial law without Netflix seems unnecessarily brutal, the man has no sense of proportion

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Saint Kyivanka posted:

That's basically what it boiled down to.

More interesting would be to provide some information on Ukrainian offensive and defensive movements relative to Russian forward progress, instead of just criticizing people discussing "Ukrainian memes" while saying "Russia is winning on all fronts".

It doesn't mean it's inaccurate, but explain to everyone in the thread why Russia is winning on all fronts relative to what we are seeing reported, instead of using 2,000 words to basically say nothing of use besides "They're winning on all fronts."

The chain started with what posters thought was some grand encirclement of the Russian Doom Convoy at Marakiv. I pointed out that there is exactly one source about Marakiv which was from Ukrainian facebook, that the OG source did not claim that it trap any Russians at all and that was 3rd party conjecture with no information for backup. I then added the post that you quoted to add context as to why Marakiv is likely to be a minor win for Ukraine even if all that we wished came to pass since the Russians are already widening the cordon well beyond Marakiv by Ukrainian admission at Zhytomyr.

Maybe because it wasn't just cheerleading/anti-Russian memes that caused to gloss over the information from that post.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Some Russians displaying extraordinary courage even just speaking publicly right now.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
more like nyetflix

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

I really did not expect it to become a new Olympic sport where nations compete on who can contribute the most anti-tank missiles to Ukraine.

Someone in this thread mused that the reaction of various nations might be driven in part by everyone being fed up with Putin and Co messing in their local politics.

Feels like there might be some truth there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

If you have protests of tens of thousands of people, do you really want a bunch of people with guns with no real loyalty to your regime there who are there because you made them be? I can’t see how that’s a good plan.

There’s a reason that dictators generally want their armies away from the capital except their most loyal elite group.

The same is true for Moscow, the bases around it are very cushy. I have a pal who served there as a conscript recently, in missile defence forces. He had a very good time, compared to another pal who had to either shape snow into perfect pavement bricks in his rural base, or farm on his sergeant’s World of Tanks account in the afternoon shift.

When I mean conscripts, I mean people standing there without firearms, just with riot shields and batons, supervised by greater numbers of actual cops, who’ll likely be better equipped. And heavy armour blocking key roads if necessary.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya they're gonna say the west is trying to destabilize and then anyone who protests gets labeled as paid by foreign agitators

Speaking of that, my soros check is late. Anyone else got theirs?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Do y'all realize that martial law basically gives the state free hands to do anything they want kind of legally? For Russia it means they have to put 0 effort into hiding/obfuscating (well, they suck at it anyways) all the bad stuff.

Curfews, more heavy handed protest dispersals, more blocked websites etc. Basically legal basis to turn up the heat against people undermining the national sentiment.

They don’t really need martial law for any of that anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would be a funny historical parallel if Putin's rule ended because of a foreign war, considering how one of the things that began the downfall of the Tsars was them throwing Russian soldiers into the meatgrinder of WWI and people getting sick of it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calling Khodorkovsky an "opposition leader" is extremely generous. He's an oligarch who made it super-rich during the dark days of the 90s, and who Putin cracked down on in 2003. Not a good person by any stretch of the imagination, and certainly not someone that most Russians are going to take their cues from.

Jordan7hm posted:

Some Russians displaying extraordinary courage even just speaking publicly right now.

He lives in the UK; he's gonna be fine.

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

Shifty Pony posted:

Someone in this thread mused that the reaction of various nations might be driven in part by everyone being fed up with Putin and Co messing in their local politics.

Feels like there might be some truth there.

I hear that Hillary Clinton herself donated 10 Javelins to Ukraine, personally signed with "But her emails" on it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

or farm on his sergeant’s World of Tanks account in the afternoon shift.

That's actually a thing?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

This guy is on Putin’s kill list for years, and lives in London. Putin hosed him over like $50bn, before which he was one of the richest oligarchs of Russia.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It would be a funny historical parallel if Putin's rule ended because of a foreign war, considering how one of the things that began the downfall of the Tsars was them throwing Russian soldiers into the meatgrinder of WWI and people getting sick of it

Didn't Yeltsin also start the Chechnya war thinking it'd be an ez curbstomp to boost his numbers with a rally-round-the-flag-effect?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Majorian posted:

He lives in the UK; he's gonna be fine.

Uh, I think there are a few examples of that not being fine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Sergei_and_Yulia_Skripal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

downout posted:

Speaking of that, my soros check is late. Anyone else got theirs?

Yes but I stupidly asked for it to be in rubles.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Keep in mind too that most of the soldiers in Russia are literally living off the land. By that I mean they have to have the civilian population of that area feed them.

Russia is currently unable to feed the 120,000 people it has in the country, which shows the instability of its economic prowess. But it also shows what the limit of this thing is. Like they may have activated the belarusians ETC but that was a one shot go. They don't have any more forces that can be anything but a clog in their major arteries

Feeding them is one thing, lack of food supplies making it through to the front probably indicates fuel, ammo and replacement parts aren’t making it through in sufficient quantities either. It’s one thing to raid a local shop for food but they aren’t likely to find 20,000L of diesel or HE tank rounds in random Ukrainian villages.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

That's actually a thing?

Yes, there’s a hardcore (in a bad way) hazing culture in Russian army, focused on exploiting and terrorising conscripts, especially early on.

There’s also a lot of corruption involved, with wealth of stories about conscripts mowing lawn for generals’ palaces, and simpler stuff like the World of Tanks example I mentioned. It’s a game that is very popular with military-oriented men in Russia. Russian servers’ concurrent player count for World of Tanks would be like a top 3 game on Steam by CCUs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Uh, I think there are a few examples of that not being fine.

He's high-enough profile, and probably has enough protection from the British government at this point, that I don't think he'll get Litvenenko-ed.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
It's not just the botched ground invasion, I think Russia has done a really lousy job with their cyber attacks and propaganda/disinformation campaigns as well.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya they're gonna say the west is trying to destabilize
Well it's true, look what the loving capitalists are doing now

https://twitter.com/Sino_Market/status/1499198212476837891?cxt=HHwWhoCp6Zi1nM4pAAAA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

i mean its what partly happened to the soviets(the afghan war was a shitshow for them etc and it sped up the implosion) and yeltsin got hosed by getting a black out drunk thief run his army to its death in the first Chechen war. Putin became popular because he solved those issues(basically insanely brutal oppression, false flag poo poo and then putting gently caress face family in charge) now he has done the same thing but possibly worse then both.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This guy is on Putin’s kill list for years, and lives in London. Putin hosed him over like $50bn, before which he was one of the richest oligarchs of Russia.

Yeah, last thing we need is to praise some oligarch who got rich during the 90s, couldn't stay in his lane (business) and started having political aspirations. Had his cake and wanted to eat it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BoldFace posted:

It's not just the botched ground invasion, I think Russia has done a really lousy job with their cyber attacks and propaganda/disinformation campaigns as well.

They probably weren’t expecting to need to disinfo a prolonged invasion and may have been more prepared for stuff pertaining to captured nazis.