Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Dutch looks like what I would make up if you asked me to speak Dutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Does it really matter?

Place is going to close for thirty percent over asking in ten days. I probably wouldn't bother loving around with it any more than that if I were a realtor, either.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
* posts a single picture of literal dog poo poo for my house's redfin listing *

* house sells for $1.3m in 15 minutes *

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Ham Equity posted:

Does it really matter?

Place is going to close for thirty percent over asking in ten days. I probably wouldn't bother loving around with it any more than that if I were a realtor, either.

The realty profession is providing untold thousands with a sense of accomplishment and purpose. Who are any of us to take that away from those morons, those useless goddamn idiots?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't know exactly why but this made me break into full uncontrolled giggling, thanks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nEd5hupAMM&t=302s

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The translation here is "hit me once" rather than "spank me", so not so great.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Actually, never mind. All your ‘funny comments’ regarding the Dutch language are really annoying. Just another example of the sad state of cspam culture. What happened to solidarity?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
macht dir keine sorgan, es vir schoen klappen

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
my bf spent yesterday watching my bad old dvds and I was reminded of the opening for Hamburger The Motion Picture and forgot how great it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg1Yr3cgJOA

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

The translation here is "hit me once" rather than "spank me", so not so great.

A better translation would be "Geef me billenkoek, papa". Which is probably even funnier, because billenkoek would literally translate to "buttocks cookies"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Orange DeviI posted:

Actually, never mind. All your ‘funny comments’ regarding the Dutch language are really annoying. Just another example of the sad state of cspam culture. What happened to solidarity?

:geert:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Orange DeviI posted:

I'm sure you're missed in D&D, why not rëtùrñ hœmê

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Orange DeviI posted:

bork bork bork

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Orange DeviI posted:

solidarity? with the Dutch? :o:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Orange DeviI posted:

You all get free healthcare, childcare, paid family leave, legal weed, and you're not throwing a huge portion of your population into prison. Let us punch up and make fun of the language a bit, we need this, okay?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I won’t ever help the Dutch until zwarte Piet dies

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have a dutch friend and he told me that even at home he speaks english instead of dutch which is real funny to me for some reason

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The Dutch have entire sections of their grocery stores devoted to sprinkles.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ham Equity posted:

You all get free healthcare, childcare, paid family leave, legal weed, and you're not throwing a huge portion of your population into prison. Let us punch up and make fun of the language a bit, we need this, okay?

tbh I assumed that post was them doing a bit since they spend so much of the rest of their posting time pointing out ways people of other countries are inherently awful

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

A Bakers Cousin posted:

this is actually kinda cool they must have v advanced culinary techniques like putting them on stew

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thread going the Norbert Van Houten path.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this is actually kinda cool they must have v advanced culinary techniques like putting them on stew

cincinnati chili has spaghetti. dutch chili has sprinkles.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ham Equity posted:

You all get free healthcare, childcare, paid family leave, legal weed, and you're not throwing a huge portion of your population into prison.

We don't have free healthcare nor legal weed, actually.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

I have a dutch friend and he told me that even at home he speaks english instead of dutch which is real funny to me for some reason

Pretend it says Dutch and not Danish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

skipmyseashells posted:

solidarity? with the Dutch? :o:

I stand with Skwisgaar

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ekuNNN posted:

IIRC weed is just kinda ignored there in personal use settings and amounts. There was a push a few years ago to block tourists from partaking but I think that failed. Plenty of growers and traffickers still get nailed, and always have, but personal use amounts are generally just shrugged off.

The Dutch have lost the weed game to Canada and random US states, and you don't have to play some stupid song and dance at a cafe to get it either. Just go in the building with the big WEED sign or green cross outside.

But your health care system has got to be better than the patchwork quilt of bullshit we have in the US. I would hope.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

Do you have free weed and legal healthcare at least?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

IIRC weed is just kinda ignored there in personal use settings and amounts. There was a push a few years ago to block tourists from partaking but I think that failed. Plenty of growers and traffickers still get nailed, and always have, but personal use amounts are generally just shrugged off.

The Dutch have lost the weed game to Canada and random US states, and you don't have to play some stupid song and dance at a cafe to get it either. Just go in the building with the big WEED sign or green cross outside.

But your health care system has got to be better than the patchwork quilt of bullshit we have in the US. I would hope.

There are billboards for dispensaries and weed vape pods, you just walk up, pick out your strain, and hand them cash. You can get 1/8ths of incredible poo poo for 35 bucks, and you can get that down to like 10 to even nothing if you a discount, which most shops will do. The rule is that you don't smoke it at a cafe.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I once watched a movie in dutch for about 30 minutes before I realized it wasn't english

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I like the defense of "actually this really funny phrase means hit me once not spank me. But yes this is a real thing you can say in swamp German"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Who is sprinkles

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

skooma512 posted:

There are billboards for dispensaries and weed vape pods, you just walk up, pick out your strain, and hand them cash. You can get 1/8ths of incredible poo poo for 35 bucks, and you can get that down to like 10 to even nothing if you a discount, which most shops will do. The rule is that you don't smoke it at a cafe.

Cool, didn't realize it was so open there after hearing about the attempt to squash tourist smokers a while back, probably longer ago than I realize.

$35/eighths are pricy compared to Denver. poo poo, I grabbed an ounce of some really nice Antelope today for $90 in Colorado Springs. Then again, the tourist shops around Denver will definitely rake $300 off someone for an ounce because they didn't want to venture far from the airport or downtown. And they'll have dumb poo poo advertising claiming lots of strains of 30%+ thc that wind up being about as good as medical dispensary shake.

Weed is a wondrous thing. Everyone should get seeds mailed to them by their government every spring.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is sprinkles

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is sprinkles

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Mister Sprinkles? This is Mister Sprinkles speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is sprinkles

Long hundreds and thousands.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Benagain posted:

I like the defense of "actually this really funny phrase means hit me once not spank me. But yes this is a real thing you can say in swamp German"

English is more like "island dutch". There was an old BBC series with the guy who did connections on the roots of the English language and apparently it came from dutch which is why so many dutch phrases sound funny. They are in a sort of lingual uncanny valley with English.

So is Friesian, and I have been a big fan of Friesland ever since I learned their flag was seven butts. It's pretty fun to say "wat de flomke?" it means what you think it means.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

english didn't come from dutch, it has the closest relation to dutch as a bastard hybridization of various offshoots of proto germanic blended back together. There's no direct lineage between them at all.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Anglush comes from God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Whatever I may think of this detail I can't stop saying 'give me the clap papa' to myself so that's something