Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
People have incredibly hot takes about Lamar Jackson at quarterback for some reason pretty much universally. I've watched a large number of Ravens games and there's no point where I would say he was a terrible quarterback. He definitely had a peak year two that he hasn't gotten back to, but I feel like people overstate his peaks and valleys.

Hopefully he's in a better situation health-wise next season then he was this year, He's fun to watch when healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol I said I wanted to spent more time with the fam but it’s been 5 weeks and that’s enough of that.

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/1499144980107038726

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think there are “plenty” of rookie QBs that have gone to bad teams with bad coaches and played well. Luck is one, and we saw how that worked out long term. Maybe Burrow depending on what you think about Zac Taylor but it’s pretty obvious that the Bengals were a well coached team on defense this year and had a ton of offensive firepower so you can’t really give him all of the credit.

In addition to the two names you mentioned, Kyler and Baker also played well in spite of finding themselves dropped into a poo poo zone. I can't really remember far enough back to the state of the rosters when they were drafted, but I'm imagining Cam, Jamies, Mariota—or just about any QB drafted in the top 5—weren't walking into fertile territory either. Obviously those guys aren't all world beaters, but they had solid rookie campaigns; certainly way better than the non-Mac rookies of last year had.

The Urban Meyer experience is maybe an exception, but the other three guys don't find themselves in uniquely bad situations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Part of what made the early Cam Newton story so fun is that Jimmy Clausen had literally just absolutely cratered in the exact same situation. People forget how good the first couple of years of Cam Newton were.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol I said I wanted to spent more time with the fam but it’s been 5 weeks and that’s enough of that.

Train for the senior pga and stay gone you bastard

That would probably piss off Michael Jordan to if he were successful at it. Bonus points

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

this is a man that just feels the wrinkles start to develop whenever people aren't talking about him

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Eifert Posting posted:

Part of what made the early Cam Newton story so fun is that Jimmy Clausen had literally just absolutely cratered in the exact same situation. People forget how good the first couple of years of Cam Newton were.

I was just going to post this.

The team still wasn't *great*, but he was special right from the start.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The only thing Clausen ever accomplished was being owned by Fiz on twitter.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eventually I'm going to stop thinking people are talking about the guard when they say Michael Jordan.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The only thing Clausen ever accomplished was being owned by Fiz on twitter.

Someone please remind me what that was again, I’m completely blanking on the Fiz-Pickles stuff.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only two things I remember about Jimmy Clausen are the picture where he showing off his high school rings and the picture where Cam Newton is pretending to shoot him with a shotgun.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

In addition to the two names you mentioned, Kyler and Baker also played well in spite of finding themselves dropped into a poo poo zone. I can't really remember far enough back to the state of the rosters when they were drafted, but I'm imagining Cam, Jamies, Mariota—or just about any QB drafted in the top 5—weren't walking into fertile territory either. Obviously those guys aren't all world beaters, but they had solid rookie campaigns; certainly way better than the non-Mac rookies of last year had.

The Urban Meyer experience is maybe an exception, but the other three guys don't find themselves in uniquely bad situations.

Lance hardly played, Wilson is on a team that’s in season 1 of a rebuild and Fields got pressed into service running the an offense that his lame duck head coach designed for Andy Dalton.

I’ve got no doubt that Fields in particular was in one of the absolute worst spots in the NFL with Matt Nagy and the whole team phoning it in.

Cam was definitely a guy that changed the team drastically by his presence but he was an almost completely unique athlete and Chud was willing to play to his unique strengths. If he’d gone to Arians or somewhere and been asked to drop back 40 times a game and air it out he would have been awful.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 3, 2022

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Eifert Posting posted:

People have incredibly hot takes about Lamar Jackson at quarterback for some reason pretty much universally. I've watched a large number of Ravens games and there's no point where I would say he was a terrible quarterback. He definitely had a peak year two that he hasn't gotten back to, but I feel like people overstate his peaks and valleys.

Hopefully he's in a better situation health-wise next season then he was this year, He's fun to watch when healthy.

Maybe terrible is the wrong word, but he definitely wasnt throwing the ball. They designed that offense to keep him from throwing his rookie year. And I agree that people overvalue his peaks and valleys.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

fsif posted:

Maybe this better proves your point considering how bad rookie year Allen was, but Allen went to a team with a horrible roster.

I'll take the unpopular stance here, though, and say that Allen is the massive outlier and there's little hope for QBs who had bad rookie years. There's basically no other QBs drafted in like the last 15 years that had a bad rookie season* and ended up becoming a good long-term starter. I'd sooner bet that all of Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, and Fields will be disappointments than I would that more than one of them ends up good.

*Matthew Stafford's a possible exception, but I anecdotally remember people saying he looked pretty good in spite of an ugly stat line.

Didn't the Bills go 9-7 and go to the playoffs the year before they drafted Allen? With Tyrod Taylor at QB?

They also had pretty strong drafts, in my opinion, in 2018 and 19. But most importantly they were a competently-run organization, and Allen has worked with the same coach and GM, both of whom are relatively lauded around the league, his entire career. Compare that to players who go to poo poo teams with poo poo rosters and coaching staffs that go in and out with the tides.

I would absolutely take the bet that Lawrence, Wilson, Lance or Fields will find success in the NFL. Fields is who I'm probably most nervous about, and Lawrence is the one who I think is almost guaranteed to find success (provided the Jaguars get their heads out of their asses or he finds his way to a good team). But I think Wilson and Lance have decent chances too, especially Lance who we've seen almost none of.

If it's actually true that they will all be bad, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Or in this case, the lack of talent or the bad team? It gets very difficult to separate them, but I think it's abundantly clear that there are and have been QBs out there who would've been rousing successes had they gone to different teams, or would've been failures in the same way.

quote:

There's basically no other QBs drafted in like the last 15 years that had a bad rookie season*

This is totally wrong imo, bad rookie seasons are absolutely the norm and it's unusual when it doesn't happen like that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

fartknocker posted:

Someone please remind me what that was again, I’m completely blanking on the Fiz-Pickles stuff.

Well a bunch of back and forth bickering that devolved into Clausen posting a photo of his girlfriend to make some point and Fiz reverse image searched it and found it was some random stock model. Iirc.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lance hardly played, Wilson is on a team that’s in season 1 of a rebuild and Fields got pressed into service running the an offense that his lame duck head coach designed for Andy Dalton.

I’ve got no doubt that Fields in particular was in one of the absolute worst spots in the NFL with Matt Nagy and the whole team phoning it in.

None of those are uniquely bad situations for a top pick. If you have a pick good enough to get you a top QB prospect, your team is probably bad.

But even past that, Lance had a uniquely *good* situation and ended up looking lost and unable to dethrone a middling Garappolo. Zach Wilson was soundly outperformed by three practice squad caliber QBs. Fields was in a tough situation but no worse than, like, being under Hue Jackson.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well a bunch of back and forth bickering that devolved into Clausen posting a photo of his girlfriend to make some point and Fiz reverse image searched it and found it was some random stock model. Iirc.

Yeah but the best part was Clausen doubling down saying it really was his girlfriend but didn’t have any pics of them together which had Fiz drop the line

“Pretend I’m a linebacker dropping into coverage and give me the pics”

Then Pickles blocked him

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Play posted:

Didn't the Bills go 9-7 and go to the playoffs the year before they drafted Allen? With Tyrod Taylor at QB?

The Bills probably overperformed that year and the roster was absolutely gutted after that playoff appearance. They lost their three good starting offensive linemen in Glenn, Incognito, and Wood. Shady ran out of gas. Their top receivers were Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, and Andre Holmes. It was worse from a player perspective than any rookie QB this past season had.

quote:

This is totally wrong imo, bad rookie seasons are absolutely the norm and it's unusual when it doesn't happen like that.

Who are these QBs from the last 15 years that had bad rookie years that went on to be good starters then? There's Allen, maaaaybe Stafford, and then? Burrow, Herbert, Kyler, Mayfield, Jackson, Watson, Mahomes (in that one game!), and Prescott all had good rookie years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fsif posted:

The Bills probably overperformed that year and the roster was absolutely gutted after that playoff appearance. They lost their three good starting offensive linemen in Glenn, Incognito, and Wood. Shady ran out of gas. Their top receivers were Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, and Andre Holmes. It was worse from a player perspective than any rookie QB this past season had.

Who are these QBs from the last 15 years that had bad rookie years that went on to be good starters then? There's Allen, maaaaybe Stafford, and then? Burrow, Herbert, Kyler, Mayfield, Jackson, Watson, Mahomes (in that one game!), and Prescott all had good rookie years.

Lamar Jackson sucked rear end as a rookie

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He went 6-1 in the regular season and rushed for nearly 100 yards a game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fsif posted:

He went 6-1 in the regular season and rushed for nearly 100 yards a game.

He also threw for like 80 yards a game

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah he's not that terrible of a passer. The big problem with Lamar is his decision making.

Even his rookie year he was limited but the numbers are not that awful for a rookie at all.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

None of those are uniquely bad situations for a top pick. If you have a pick good enough to get you a top QB prospect, your team is probably bad.

But even past that, Lance had a uniquely *good* situation and ended up looking lost and unable to dethrone a middling Garappolo. Zach Wilson was soundly outperformed by three practice squad caliber QBs. Fields was in a tough situation but no worse than, like, being under Hue Jackson.

Baker only played 6 games for Hue, but sure, that’s a good example of coaching mattering.

Hue Post Hue
QBR 81.7 109.5
PCT 58.2 68.4
Y/G 245 281
TD/G 1 2.375
Sacks/G 3.33 .625

If Baker had been stuck with Hue for a couple more years he’d be another example for you to use in your “rookies who suck would have always sucked and will always suck” argument. And Baker got to come in at the end of the “tank for picks and cap space” strategy when they were actually drafting and spending. He was meant to be the last piece of the rebuild, not the first like Fields and Wilson.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 3, 2022

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y5g9UfCVnI

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Baker only played 6 games for Hue, but sure, that’s a good example of coaching mattering.

Hue Post Hue
QBR 81.7 109.5
PCT 58.2 68.4
Y/G 245 281
TD/G 1 2.375
Sacks/G 3.33 .625

If Baker had been stuck with Hue for a couple more years he’d be another example for you to use in your “rookies who suck would have always sucked and will always suck” argument. And Baker got to come in at the end of the “tank for picks and cap space” strategy when they were actually drafting and spending. He was meant to be the last piece of the rebuild, not the first like Fields and Wilson.

I've lost the thread. No idea why you're dissecting Baker's good rookie year. Just name a recent QB with a bad rookie year that ended up being good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

fsif posted:

I've lost the thread. No idea why you're dissecting Baker's good rookie year. Just name a recent QB with a bad rookie year that ended up being good.

Cousins was pretty bad for like his first three years. There aren’t that many QBs, let alone good ones. You can tell a just so story to confirm whatever idea you already have about them

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fsif posted:

Zach Wilson was soundly outperformed by three practice squad caliber QBs.
lmao no, Zach Wilson was not "soundly outperformed" by the practice squad rookies, and you're full of poo poo for saying so.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lmao no, Zach Wilson was not "soundly outperformed" by the practice squad rookies, and you're full of poo poo for saying so.

I was talking about Mike White, Josh Johnson, and Joe Flacco.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fsif posted:

The thread is “circumstances matter to rookie QBs and at least some of the guys who flame out would have done fine and maybe even well if they hadn’t ended up on bad teams running offenses that weren’t at all suited to their talents.” Baker is a good example of a guy who was salvaged by a coaching change that happened early enough that he wasn’t ruined.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You know, one of the really weird things about growing up is having people like Ryan Leaf go from "twice your age" to "closer to your age than most people you know"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

You know, one of the really weird things about growing up is having people like Ryan Leaf go from "twice your age" to "closer to your age than most people you know"

I spent so much of my teenage life and even my twenties hating Ryan Leaf so much.

Now I couldn't be happier for him and am glad he's pulled his life together.

And freaking agreed on the age thing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

a neat cape posted:

I spent so much of my teenage life and even my twenties hating Ryan Leaf so much.

Now I couldn't be happier for him and am glad he's pulled his life together.

And freaking agreed on the age thing

Yeah I remember people from Pullman telling me stories about him and his buddies rolling into a bar and pulling the “Do you know who I am? I could buy this place!” poo poo

I’m glad he’s not that guy anymore

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

didn't he get into a domestic abuse thing like not even 2 years ago?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

just a misdemeanor minor battery in 2020 lol, nbd.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Dudes can beat women or children and get a steady NFL paycheck

Until they suck at football

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Analytics says that if your QB has a tendency to throw high you should collect short receivers

https://twitter.com/StainbrookNFL/status/1499078467547242500?s=20&t=MNrPiHL7ZIyp0eQWPHsskg

What the gently caress is an Andy Isabella?!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

If you're going to compare real starters to backups you've never heard of who get to play the Bengals you're going to think there isn't a single good quarterback in the league.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fsif posted:

Yeah I knew who you were talking about, I just accidentally inserted rookie in there. My point was that Zach Wilson was not outperformed by any of them. Yes, Mike White had one good great game against a good team that had an inexplicable bad game, similar to how the Bills inexplicably lost the Jags. Otherwise Zach Wilson was a rookie on a really bad team. He started off really poorly but did much better after coming back from his knee injury, and despite his average stats for the year looking worse on paper than the other three "practice squad backups" he led the Jets to three of their four wins and had some very good individual games against decent-to-good defenses, like the Titans and Bucs.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah but the best part was Clausen doubling down saying it really was his girlfriend but didn’t have any pics of them together which had Fiz drop the line

“Pretend I’m a linebacker dropping into coverage and give me the pics”

Then Pickles blocked him

Every time I hear Clausen, I think of this line and literally laugh out loud. Doesn't matter where I'm at, it's just too perfect a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1499415111269855235?s=20&t=Ne2VCvVN0H3IzttPLuxMPQ

This guy just dropped out of the first round