Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Holding all the weapons on the suit is a definite plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I started an old HG Ginn back in maybe September, as a testbed for doing copper patina. I finally picked it back up this week, and realized that I'd already applied the aging dark-brown look to 3/4ths of the parts, and forgot exactly what I did. Also I lost the foot somewhere, and it's scratchy as gently caress. Rather than go hard, I figured I'd drybrush, streak, and move on.

Base coat of Mecha Color copper, then burnt umber cheapo oil paint heavily thinned with turpenoid lighter fluid, airbrushed at random. Drybrushed and streaky-washed with Model Air cockpit emerald green.

The airbrushed oil paint had some spitty texture that hurled tiny solid bits of pigment during the spray, and it REALLY looks cool - like a texture effect in some spots. Beats the poo poo out of using Mr. Surfacer and texturing it thusly, unless that's your thing.

Next time I do this it'll be all at once, fixed-posed, but damned if this isn't a cool start.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
While idly wondering about what model I want to get for my third dude, I thought of getting the HG Deathscythe that's the inversion of my second dude, the Livelance Heaven. Make 'em do pose where they have their staffs crossed or something. However, Livelance Heaven is the inversion of Deathlance Hell but there only seems to be a regular Deathscythe of the same grade released recently. And then, wouldn't I have to get the other four Gundam Wing dudes? And the Breaker Battlogue dudes to balance it out? I haven't even seen Battlogue. This is how the hobby gets you, isn't it?

Both the guys I have (the RG Exia being my first) are from series I've never seen, being gifts, so I don't really know what I want to do next when I have the time. I've only seen the Gundam stuff that was on Toonami, and there's not a series that I'm super invested in. The model that actually got me thinking about getting into this hobby was the RG Eva-01, which is kind of ironic, because I don't know if I can say I'm invested in that either, as I haven't seen half of Evangelion or any of the movies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

While idly wondering about what model I want to get for my third dude, I thought of getting the HG Deathscythe that's the inversion of my second dude, the Livelance Heaven. Make 'em do pose where they have their staffs crossed or something. However, Livelance Heaven is the inversion of Deathlance Hell but there only seems to be a regular Deathscythe of the same grade released recently. And then, wouldn't I have to get the other four Gundam Wing dudes? And the Breaker Battlogue dudes to balance it out? I haven't even seen Battlogue. This is how the hobby gets you, isn't it?

Both the guys I have (the RG Exia being my first) are from series I've never seen, being gifts, so I don't really know what I want to do next when I have the time. I've only seen the Gundam stuff that was on Toonami, and there's not a series that I'm super invested in. The model that actually got me thinking about getting into this hobby was the RG Eva-01, which is kind of ironic, because I don't know if I can say I'm invested in that either, as I haven't seen half of Evangelion or any of the movies.

Well, the Breaker Battlogue is just a bunch of fights tying into a mobile game, so it's not high art, but it's fun and it's six short episodes, so you can probably clear it in an afternoon if you're curious.

If you want full on show recommendations, the original and Iron Blooded Orphans are both easily available for streaming, but there's plenty of other Gundam. An excess, really. What kind of show you looking for?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like HLJ's now taking preorders for the Moderoid MADOX-01 if anyone's after that.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dr Christmas posted:

This was me, too. I got Bandai’s Kirby model on a lark and had fun with it, but wanted something that took longer than 15 minutes. I wanted to build stuff I was familiar with (Star Wars and Eva mostly), but I realized there’s not a ton in that sphere so I started watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam. That was only a few months ago and now I’m almost done with Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam too. It gets its hooks in you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Christmas posted:

Have you heard the word of our wallet-devouring Lord 30MM and His customizable robots? First you pick a robot you like from Bandai's 30 Minute Mission line, then you see the accessory packs and get, oh, a mere 3-5 of them to pick parts out of to make your own robot.

And,of course, you've got spare parts left over now so you may as well get another 30MM kit to put those on, but you also got another accessory pack too just for something specific to put on this robot and down the spiral you go... :shepspends:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

catgirlgenius posted:

it's crazy how good tools can obviate a lot of the clean-up process. between my Godhands and my Siren glass files (something silly like $15 between the two of them?) I can get a clean nub that would require a 9-step sanding progression, from personal experience.

I just ordered a pair to try out. I kinda want to try the Gunprimer kit too. The reviews on Newtype boggling at this thing being "magic" are enticing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HGUC Phantom Gundam. What a time to be alive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

HGUC Phantom Gundam. What a time to be alive.

That's a kit that requires you to go completely nuts with the clear plastic effect parts, and I respect that they chose to rise to the challenge.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lmao I had never seen that thing's flight mode before

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It looks like Waspinator as a mobile suit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/kuma06707112/status/1499405989866614786?s=20&t=Y3iXTJiV-ZawDTzrPb79hw

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
And here I was, thinking the Try Burning Gundam had a lot of clear plastic parts! It looks downright conservative next to the Phantom, and it's on fire!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Just Dan Again posted:

And here I was, thinking the Try Burning Gundam had a lot of clear plastic parts! It looks downright conservative next to the Phantom, and it's on fire!

TBF, so's the Phantom, sort of. It's got an early, crude version of the Victory-2's Wings of Light that means it emits unstable mega-particle fields from damned near everywhere.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Almost done. Just have to wait for the oil wash to dry and then sprinkle on some snow.

I'm glad I'm doing this and I still intend to do the ending shots for the other 3 cb gundams and the 0 raiser, but I need a more simple build for my next project.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Please enjoy this charming story about the time Vogue did a photoshoot with some models donated by Gundam Planet

quote:

This situation would be literally impossible in today's industry. If Vogue Magazine were to include Gundams in something, it would absolutely be as part of a Gundam-centered marketing push and everything would happen from the very top of both companies well in advance. There was something so fascinating about going from "clueless about a project" to "integral to the project" in three business days and then having a plastic model kit you built end up in Vogue Magazine on a "military pack robot." I'm not necessarily saying things were better that way, but they were definitely more spontaneous.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Please enjoy this charming story about the time Vogue did a photoshoot with some models donated by Gundam Planet

Ironically, that's Voltron.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Built my first RG and boy was he a fiddly lad! But I love him

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here’s some better versions of those Vogue photos

http://plastikdolls.com/2013/10/24/gundam-voltron-vogue-magazine/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I finally managed to place my order saqramart, added an AGE-FX in order to get free shipping, get told that it's delayed a week or so because they don't actually have the FX in, and now apparently the Ukraine invasion means they can't ship to the UK.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

We're gonna be getting either one new Zaku kit with a lot of options or five new slightly different Zaku kits

https://twitter.com/g_cucuruzdoan/status/1501543335613378561?s=20&t=MPQniOR4_DSItaczGdh5jA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope you like high mobility customs. I hope they keep the HG Bugu's counter rotating monoeye gimmick. It was cool on the RG Zaku and I'd love to see it become standard going forward rather than the old school "push the peg" approach.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 9, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

I hope you like high mobility customs. I hope they keep the HG Bugu's counter rotating monoeye gimmick. It was cool on the RG Zaku and I'd love to see it become standard going forward rather than the old school "push the peg" approach.

IIRC the geared monoeye was on the MG Zaku 2.0 as well, but that's a lot bigger and easier to cram in gearing

Anybody try out the "new" MG Dom? The original was one of my favorite builds back in the day, old as it was even at the time.

E: I fed Dalong's review into Google translate and he seemed to feel like it was still a decent kit, but largely on the strength of the original, and the new shoulder joints are stiff enough to really bother him. That's something that should be able to be solved with some emory cloth or silicone lube, I think.

Part of the novelty of the Dom at the time was that its big grabby paws allowed it full finger articulation when most MG hands were constructed like mittens. I definitely had mine posed flipping the double deuce for a while. The new hands are fully articulated as well, but premolded on the sprue like an RG skeleton and a little smaller than the original's meathooks.

Ee: entirely aside holy poo poo has machine translation gotten so much better. I remember feeding dalong reviews into google translate when they first debuted it, and babelfish before that (remember babelfish??) and being only slightly less mystified than trying to read the original hangul, and now it spits out something that occasionally has weird word choices but is otherwise completely legible.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
According to Mecha Gaikotsu it's still most of the old kit, but the plastic quality is much higher. Not too many gimmicks and an unfortunate seam line on the forearm armor, and the typical limited articulation of a bulky model. I'm holding out for the Rick Dom variant that has the fancier red verniers.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
I like how the origin kits have the moneye swivel, and yet they don't put anything on the plastic piece if you paint your own monoeyes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/hasuneru/status/1501484309710254080

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I guess the a button is set as the turbo, then?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Electrophotonic posted:

Built my first RG and boy was he a fiddly lad! But I love him

hey, great work. this is an awesome shot with those figure-rise effect pieces

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Any folks familiar with Sentinel's Riobot line of robot toys?

I've been eyeing their upcoming Raideen figure as a possible sensible investment to make as sensible adult, but I'm not familiar with them and I'd rather avoid throwing money at a lemon if I could.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: can't read

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been eyeing their upcoming Raideen figure as a possible sensible investment to make as sensible adult, but I'm not familiar with them and I'd rather avoid throwing money at a lemon if I could.

I have a couple. They're about the same as a SoC.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Schwarzwald posted:

My only direct experience with their Riobot line is the Riobot NERV Anti-G Weapon (Mechagodzilla, as made by NERV and designed by the Metal Gear Solid guy, literally designed by him in fact) which was over $100 but extremely lightweight, limited in posability, had almost no accessories, and not much in the way of paint. It desperately needed some diecast for the feet and calves to keep it stable and another set of hands or two ideally. On the other hand Sentinel did the TruForce Megaman X figure which sold for $80 and was quite worth it. Then they followed it up years later with a far more expensive $150 Falcon Armor X by a different designer that was quite nice but not $150 nice. Sentinel also did the 4-inch-nel line of, as it sounds, 4 inch figures that started off pretty reasonably priced in the $30-$40 range but they got greedy and priced themselves out of things by doing the Megaman Legends Roll as two $70 or so dollar figures if you wanted their full spread of accessories. By all indications that killed the line off entirely too.

So, in short you can expect it to probably be a pretty nice figure but you may or may not find it to be a bit (or a lot) overpriced for what you get.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SpikeMcclane posted:

I have a couple. They're about the same as a SoC.

Zebulon posted:

So, in short you can expect it to probably be a pretty nice figure but you may or may not find it to be a bit (or a lot) overpriced for what you get.

Thanks! That lines up about with what I've heard elsewhere.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve been thinking about what I might want to do next, and the thought crossed my mind that having the OG Gundam and Char’s Zaku would be neat. So now I’m back from Target with the HG RX-78-2 Gundam and Char’s Zaku in tow.

I hope you fuckers are happy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve been thinking about what I might want to do next, and the thought crossed my mind that having the OG Gundam and Char’s Zaku would be neat. So now I’m back from Target with the HG RX-78-2 Gundam and Char’s Zaku in tow.

Bandai is

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Dr Christmas posted:

Those were my first 2 builds, given as xmas gifts. I have since also built the HG Barbatos Lupus and HG Gouf Custom, and am in the middle of the HG Leo. Planning to start an RG Wing Zero or RG Exia after that. Or maybe instead I’ll do the one of the Star Wars kits I’ve picked up: the R2D2/BB8 box, the AT-ST, or Boba Fett…

… It’s easy to see now how some of you wind up with mountainous backlogs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, mine is probably my height by now.

But that's not scary. This is scary. https://www.usagundamstore.com/pages/search-results-page?collection=all&filter_tag=dcfleet&page=2

Big, fuckoff huge resin models of Gundam spacecraft. Unpainted. If the MS models are an appropriate size, I might go for some as wargaming models.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've completed all of one build so far. Last week I was looking around and noticed that while the Gundam kits for Stardust Memory are out of stock at all the major retailers, and marked up a lot on eBay, a shop just a couple hours away had them all in stock at list price. Now, instead of my barely rational backlog of a couple HG Gundam Wing kits, it's 2 HGs and four MGs. I won't need to shop for a while, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, mine is probably my height by now.

But that's not scary. This is scary. https://www.usagundamstore.com/pages/search-results-page?collection=all&filter_tag=dcfleet&page=2

Big, fuckoff huge resin models of Gundam spacecraft. Unpainted. If the MS models are an appropriate size, I might go for some as wargaming models.

Jesus those price tags.