Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I will forgive the sins of the Nordics so long as they marry me and I get citizenship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

IIRC weed is just kinda ignored there in personal use settings and amounts. There was a push a few years ago to block tourists from partaking but I think that failed. Plenty of growers and traffickers still get nailed, and always have, but personal use amounts are generally just shrugged off.

The Dutch have lost the weed game to Canada and random US states, and you don't have to play some stupid song and dance at a cafe to get it either. Just go in the building with the big WEED sign or green cross outside.

But your health care system has got to be better than the patchwork quilt of bullshit we have in the US. I would hope.

iirc the netherlands has reorganised its healthcare system into a private insurance system with some limits set by the state. So whatever makes it better than the US system is simply vestigal and endangered by liberalism

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:arghfist::butt:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

english didn't come from dutch, it has the closest relation to dutch as a bastard hybridization of various offshoots of proto germanic blended back together. There's no direct lineage between them at all.

At the end of the day, every single language comes from Spanish, which comes from G*d, so no need to get mad about the incestuous relations of the English language.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dawncloack posted:

At the end of the day, every single language comes from Spanish, which comes from G*d, so no need to get mad about the incestuous relations of the English language.

Te kiero!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

But your health care system has got to be better than the patchwork quilt of bullshit we have in the US. I would hope.

Some of the Obamacare stuff was based on the Dutch system.

But yes, the Dutch healthcare system remains a ways better than the absolute nightmare that is the US. Though it is steadily getting worse.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

english didn't come from dutch, it has the closest relation to dutch as a bastard hybridization of various offshoots of proto germanic blended back together. There's no direct lineage between them at all.

Frisian is closer to English than Dutch is.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

We're all one big happy family

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apparently Albanian is a straight shot direct from the source

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Cool graph, horribly designed

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
albanian is an isolate language which is weird when talking about PIE stuff but it falls apart pretty quickly after that since there's a lot of drift given where it eventually got spoken

if you want modern language strangeness in europe basque or georgian are what you're looking for

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Antonymous posted:

Anglush comes from God

"Mah bible is in english. Jesus must have an Alabama accent."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I’m dismayed with how trans exclusionary the chart is. only cis-alpine, eh, marginalizing secret queer languages.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Orange Devil posted:

Frisian is closer to English than Dutch is.

There is no conclusive evidence Frisian is real. Sorry you had to find out like this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I don't want to imagine mountains having any kind of gender presentation tbh (although some of them are shaped pretty suggestively)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm usually more into buttes, but even I have to admit: that's one Grand Teton

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah none of that Italic baby powder

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't want to imagine mountains having any kind of gender presentation tbh (although some of them are shaped pretty suggestively)

Some of those mountains started out flat and had to push hard and long to get to where they are today. And even now, they are getting the right holes put in them by skilled experts, but only after extensive government deliberation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

The Dutch have entire sections of their grocery stores devoted to sprinkles.

They put chocolate sprinkles on toast, and I think that's wonderful.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

There is no conclusive evidence Frisian is real. Sorry you had to find out like this.

I have evidence of posters from Friesland

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Orange DeviI posted:

Actually, never mind. All your ‘funny comments’ regarding the Dutch language are really annoying. Just another example of the sad state of cspam culture. What happened to solidarity?

there are only like 2 good dutch people OP

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

One of them moved

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Biplane posted:

One of them moved

Probably couldn't stand the other guy

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

aww thanks :sun:

https://twitter.com/peterliakhov/status/1499341576518217730
I'll drink to that; to the death of the stock market! :cheersbird:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ekuNNN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsw0ALI4Eek&t=118s

Ngl, the Soviet victory in RA2 was so much more bad rear end than the Allied victory.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Mar 3, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

A friend of mine who knows some Russian and has Russian family linked me the original and translated it herself and pointed out that the "today I drink soda" (translated as 'carbonated water' here) line is a common euphemism because they can't say they're drinking vodka on TV. I mean it's obvious that's what he means but lol that it happens enough to be A Thing apparently.

She also translated the line the anchor woman said at the end as having much stronger wording lol

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

also, from what i hear, he said "привет что добрый день не говорю" at the beginning, which i guess either translates to "I'm here, but it's not necessarily a good day" -or- it could be a dig at Ukrainians, who use "добрый день" or "good day" as their standard greeting

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
He says: "Hello, and note that I don't say good day"

She says "No one says that anymore"

I parsed it as run of the mill despair rather than a joke.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Russians are masters at bleak humor, gotta give ‘‘em that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

He says: "Hello, and note that I don't say good day"

She says "No one says that anymore"

I parsed it as run of the mill despair rather than a joke.

My friend translated that part as:

Him: "I'm not going to say good day."
Anchor: "Yeah, nobody says that anymore"

and interpreted it as just a crushingly bleak outlook on the part of both of them, yeah.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Monthly Vancouver real estate update. Well, not really since this is way outside metro Vancouver.

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1499576865622741023?t=gDj6H2VXOKhwSvpNM7s-hA&s=19

Mission is like half the distance to Seattle away from downtown Vancouver.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Mar 4, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just build more houses goddamn

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
does this thread also allow for capitalism.avi? Because wendover had a great video on apartment blocks (the video starts by talking about homogeneity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX4KklvCDmg

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Nooo that will lower the value of our existing investments.

Edit: Wait people want to live in these things??? That can't be right...

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Mar 4, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ahem

crime, neighborhood character, those people

*is elected to City Council in an election in which the average voter is 75 and bought their home for $4,.000 in 1970*

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That is definitely not the problem in Vancouver. Here is what suburban skylines look like, not downtown.

That's one of half a dozen high rise suburban hubs. Money laundering demand cannot be met by building more.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

That is definitely not the problem in Vancouver. Here is what suburban skylines look like, not downtown.

That's one of half a dozen high rise suburban hubs. Money laundering demand cannot be met by building more.
love to live in Sky House

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

love to live in Sky House

I have a very good but controversial tip on how you can take the big trip to the sky house for FREE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that only the top half is Sky House, you're not allowed to say you live in Sky House if you're one of the plebs on the first 20 floors