Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

e-dt posted:

Gary can grant you a pie, though

You can also throw the pie away in front of his face after he gives you it, with or without asking Kim if he is hungry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Can he give you his colossal beads

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

EorayMel posted:

You can also throw the pie away in front of his face after he gives you it, with or without asking Kim if he is hungry

Even better if you do this after having tried to force feed Kim the sandwich.

You don't want my food? Fine

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
What were you thinking, taking a wheat free, meat free pie from that sleazy bastard?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bop bop perano posted:

What were you thinking, taking a wheat free, meat free pie from that sleazy bastard?

it's free

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Jamrock Shuffle demands of Harry to loot every bin in sight. What is Gary if not a trash bin?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

EorayMel posted:

I read that as ‘you can throw the pie in his face’ and I was like drat, I mean Gary deserves it, but after humiliating him like that it seems like a bit much.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

bop bop perano posted:

I read that as ‘you can throw the pie in his face’ and I was like drat, I mean Gary deserves it, but after humiliating him like that it seems like a bit much.

I think that needs an impossible passive half light and/or hand&eye coordination check to be passed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bop bop perano posted:

I made a tier list of my fav characters

I made this like months ago, and I’d put Bird’s Nest Roy and a few others in higher spots

You can make ur own here https://tiermaker.com/create/disco-elysium-all-characters-765410

A good list because Evrart is at the top. You seem to be missing a certain character who only appears on day 1 and only if you have a very specific build tho....

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Siileng may have had the single greatest change in voice actors from original to Final Cut. Turns out a character of South Asian analogue descent is better played by a South Asian actor who can also do comedy. For that alone, I believe he deserves to be in B tier at the least.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Epic High Five posted:

A good list because Evrart is at the top. You seem to be missing a certain character who only appears on day 1 and only if you have a very specific build tho....

i didn't make the tier list, but i was surprised by how thorough it was, but they did forget this guy, you're right.

Caufman posted:

Siileng may have had the single greatest change in voice actors from original to Final Cut. Turns out a character of South Asian analogue descent is better played by a South Asian actor who can also do comedy. For that alone, I believe he deserves to be in B tier at the least.

i forgot that will menaker from chapo trap house played siileng in the original until i finished the game again recently and saw the credits, but yeah definitely one of the most improved voices.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

On the subject of voices I can't stop comparing Evrart Claire's final cut voice to the DIC Inspector Gadget voice, it is 1:1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzK00wW1G1o&t=97s

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

"Just move *the glow* over White Pines, and press the enter *button* on your remote, Harry!"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's also missing the communist book club! Those two are great.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

My only complaint is that Hardy is not at least A tier. Maybe I'm just a sucker for guys with union loyalties.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I forgot which was the last trap I checked for the phasmid. If I just go for a random trap and do the thing, will I know immediately if I had the right one? I just wanna savescum it if I can.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Organic Lube User posted:

I forgot which was the last trap I checked for the phasmid. If I just go for a random trap and do the thing, will I know immediately if I had the right one? I just wanna savescum it if I can.

It'll only let you do the thing in the correct trap. No savescumming required (ever, but particularly here)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Completed the game again today. Either I forgot or I only just found it, but one of the characters quoting a communist marching song which is actually just "If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next" by the Manics put a huge smile on my face. Something about the anachronistic references in this game just gets me good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sankara posted:

It's also missing the communist book club! Those two are great.

"In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

A+++++++ got me verkelmpft at 3 AM

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My only complaint is that Hardy is not at least A tier. Maybe I'm just a sucker for guys with union loyalties.

He’s kind of a prick though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Completed the game again today. Either I forgot or I only just found it, but one of the characters quoting a communist marching song which is actually just "If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next" by the Manics put a huge smile on my face. Something about the anachronistic references in this game just gets me good.

And despite it apparently being out of place it actually fits perfectly because 1) That song is actually about people volunteering to fight the fascists in the Spanish Civil War and 2) the song also includes the line "And on the streets tonight an old man plays/With newspaper clippings of his glory days" which works as a metaphor for Dros.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Gorn Myson posted:

I think the floor graffiti after the shootout is also based on a modern (french) song, unless it's just the same phrase

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
AUTHORITY - Honourable One, you have accumulated a substantial amount of honor points on your life path. You are a man most virtuous.

AUTHORITY - You are on the fast track to becoming one of the rarest, most revered of all police officers -- an honour cop.

AUTHORITY - Yes. Your deeds have spoken for you, Honourable One, but to fully drape one's self in an eternal cloak of honour a ritual must be completed. A "Rite of Honour"...

AUTHORITY - You need to bring the thumb of your right hand -- your sword hand -- to your rectum and stick it in there to form the Arch of Honours.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Considering who and what Harry is, that's a point in his favor IMO.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Yea I didn’t really understand the Hardy good guy turn the game does
Seemed like an rear end in a top hat throughout who only “helped” when he couldn’t lie anymore.

Could be forgetting things though and probably about to replay

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

He's a union man who protects his friends and doesn't like talking to cops.

What's not to enjoy?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I mean, Harry and Kim are cops, and Titus’s goal is to keep Klaasje alive, which if you arrest her will absolutely not happen. First he tries to stall you by convincing you to arrest every member of his crew, then he has to lie and dodge to keep at that. He really only starts to be nice to you after the Tribunal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the_american_dream posted:

Yea I didn’t really understand the Hardy good guy turn the game does
Seemed like an rear end in a top hat throughout who only “helped” when he couldn’t lie anymore.

Could be forgetting things though and probably about to replay

He's not a particularly good or bad guy, mostly just a kinda dumb guy, and talking to the cops is not a good guy move.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Are we sure Gary isn't just suffering from economic anxiety?

lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Saw the amazing AI generated art and not one mention of this dickhead?

Just imagine what his dialogue would be like.

Look at that expression, look at that head

This is the personality factor that reads Sam Harris

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think the big problem with moral judgements on characters is that people judge them based on how they treat you, Harry. People love Kim because Kim is very nice to Harry. People dislike Hardy because he is rude to Harry.

All of this ignores the fact that HARRY IS A NEW LEVEL OF rear end in a top hat which the game pounds into your head over and over again with every single interaction. Half the cast of the game has a story about Harry threatening suicide in a bar, destroying public property, harassing kids while drunk, everything. Every lovely thing under the sun. Now, you can take Kim as a sort of Judeo-christian angel pushing for Harry's redemption, but remember that in Kim's eyes "good" is defined by moralism, loyalty to the state. Sometimes that means treating civilians with honesty and respect, but that also means handwaving all the atrocities that Joyce and her horrible band of mercenaries have committed.

Hardy's moral compass is pinned to "what is good for the union" and thus your opinion of Hardy will be reflected by your opinion of Unions.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Although Kim is mostly a moralist through convenience rather than belief. It’s not necessarily that he agrees it’s the best system, he just acknowledges that it’s the one in charge and so be it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Although Kim is mostly a moralist through convenience rather than belief. It’s not necessarily that he agrees it’s the best system, he just acknowledges that it’s the one in charge and so be it.

I mean, isn't that what moralism is? The tacit acceptance of the current power structure with all that it entails?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think the big problem with moral judgements on characters is that people judge them based on how they treat you, Harry. People love Kim because Kim is very nice to Harry. People dislike Hardy because he is rude to Harry.

All of this ignores the fact that HARRY IS A NEW LEVEL OF rear end in a top hat which the game pounds into your head over and over again with every single interaction. Half the cast of the game has a story about Harry threatening suicide in a bar, destroying public property, harassing kids while drunk, everything. Every lovely thing under the sun. Now, you can take Kim as a sort of Judeo-christian angel pushing for Harry's redemption, but remember that in Kim's eyes "good" is defined by moralism, loyalty to the state. Sometimes that means treating civilians with honesty and respect, but that also means handwaving all the atrocities that Joyce and her horrible band of mercenaries have committed.

Hardy's moral compass is pinned to "what is good for the union" and thus your opinion of Hardy will be reflected by your opinion of Unions.

This is why high physique/half light builds are the only canon interpretation of Harry du Bois Tequilla Sunset

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean, isn't that what moralism is? The tacit acceptance of the current power structure with all that it entails?

I think there’s a difference between moralists like Kim who may or may not like the status quo but don’t challenge it, and moralists like the Sunday Friend

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The real reason Titus is bad is because he is also a cop.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Vagabong posted:

LOGIC [Trivial - Success] This checks out.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vagabong posted:

Boo. Hiss. Boo.

Cops exist to protect private property, Titus does the opposite.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Garte exists to protect the Whirling-In-Rags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Kim is a moralist, but he's an *apolitical* moralist. He seems resigned to the big-picture/status-quo stuff, and wants to just do his best to help the people immediately in front of him. This is (imo) the most potent argument of the moralist against armchair communists, who may have grand ideals but doesn't actually do anything to improve the day-to-day material conditions of their fellow man. The Revolution and its aftermath have left him jaded to the claims of extremists, which given the state of Revachol, seems pretty fair.

The Sunday Friend, by contrast, is a *political* moralist, who actively seeks to solidify and expand the power of the moralist state, with all the exploitation and inequality that state supports.

The line from the opening of the moralist vision quest is haunting: "Then you haven't lived through real chaos." Kim has, and wants to help people without possibly setting the world on fire.