Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
> Throw a boot

You forgot to attach laces to it. The boot is immolated by flames.

> Strangle self with laces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I haven't seen AMericna Sniper so i won't comment or make stuff up about it

It's a well made action/war film but it's jingoistic and deceptive as gently caress (it implies the Iraq War was because of September 11th) and it makes Chris Kyle into the greatest American serviceman since Audie Murphy when in fact Kyle was a bloodthirsty racist psychopath and pathological liar.

So a mixed review!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TIP posted:

> suicide by cop
(First attacking cop.)
You attack the cop.

"God drat it, Worth!" he hollers as he easily fends off your attack and slams you to the ground.
He begins to strangle you.
"I knew you were a rat," he growls menacingly as his fingers tighten around your windpipe.
You can't breathe.
You decide not to resist.

The cop continues to strangle you.
Your consciousness is fading.

Cowcaster posted:

> reminisce about how this is just like that episode of star trek
It occurs to you that this situation is very similar to the episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, "Allegiance", where Picard and several aliens he doesn't know wake up in a strange, sterile environment without knowing how they got there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0dC2TwYv98

You lose consciousness.
You are dead.

Game Over
Final Score (1/120)

Achievements:
- Thought about Star Trek.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
poo poo your pants

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Cubone posted:

It occurs to you that this situation is very similar to the episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, "Allegiance", where Picard and several aliens he doesn't know wake up in a strange, sterile environment without knowing how they got there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0dC2TwYv98

They're both derivative of the Twilight Zone episode Five Characters in Search of an Exit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHV8r7LsO6k

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Cubone posted:

You lose consciousness.
You are dead.

Game Over
Final Score (1/120)

Achievements:
- Thought about Star Trek.

A 1 out of 120? I can do better than that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZINqKv5b188

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/starwars_chars/status/1499260804532559878?t=zKjNNFjvGBVoRlxMUO-mlA&s=19

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno. Netflix has been pushing it hard on me since it came out.

It has ... uhhhhh ... Dallas Page and Denise Richards.

That's Diamond Dallas Page to you, star of the award nominated hit movie Ready to Rumble!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Am I having a stroke?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Am I having a stroke?

Possiblghy, mayhghbe yough shoughld tahglk thugh youhr doghtor

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

rydiafan posted:

Am I having a stroke?

He's not that ripped

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My son is also named G'klarg

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's not good sport to bring up video game characters, some fruit is just too low hanging.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
hm... yeah I'd have a stroke at his low-hanging fruit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

darth icky

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
darth weedious

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_XNKsdM0ns&t=22s

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Andro Dunos posted:

They're both derivative of the Twilight Zone episode Five Characters in Search of an Exit
it's a cool premise to play with

the original Twilight Zone episode's explanation, I honestly thought was pretty silly and pointless, so it's neat that different creators have come up with vastly different spins on why an array of characters would have been brought together as such

and Cube is my favorite
they don't offer a definitive explanation, but the characters speculate about it, and I really like the idea that it's a bureaucratic anomaly whose original purpose had been so abstracted away from that it's completely forgotten, but it exists now as a cog in a machine divorced from any meaningful purpose but upon which too many interdependent systems rely for it not to persist
it's a horrifying thought and also not far from the reality of, like, u.s. defense spending

JediTalentAgent posted:

A 1 out of 120? I can do better than that...
[video type="youtube"]ZINqKv5b188[/video
this is the first thing I've seen from Lower Decks
it looks fun

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Cubone posted:

and Cube is my favorite
they don't offer a definitive explanation, but the characters speculate about it, and I really like the idea that it's a bureaucratic anomaly whose original purpose had been so abstracted away from that it's completely forgotten, but it exists now as a cog in a machine divorced from any meaningful purpose but upon which too many interdependent systems rely for it not to persist

Yeah I love Kafkaesque administrative horror movies and there should be more of them. I'd give a big recommendation for 2019's The Platform

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cubone posted:

and Cube is my favorite
it's a horrifying thought and also not far from the reality of, like, u.s. defense spending

Have you seen Severance? The company they work at reminded me of Cube, it seems like exactly the place where some poo poo like that gets designed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

5 characters in search of an exit owns

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Star Trek Picard season 2 is out and big suprise it might actually be really good!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yeah I love Kafkaesque administrative horror movies and there should be more of them. I'd give a big recommendation for 2019's The Platform

TIP posted:

Have you seen Severance? The company they work at reminded me of Cube, it seems like exactly the place where some poo poo like that gets designed.
*adds to notepad*

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just heard Van Wilder was based on Bert Kreischer in college and if true I'm simultaneously floored and the least surprised I've ever been.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

they aged 30 years in 10

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1499108131917369344

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this is ridiculous

since when are rakghouls sentient?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

and even if they somehow obtained sentience, their homeworld was glassed by a sith capital ship. how could they possibly have escaped the planet, let alone the undercity???

I'm starting to think this star wars stuff is bullshit

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tiberius Christ posted:

Star Trek Picard season 2 is out and big suprise it might actually be really good!

gently caress you I don't believe you

I haven't had enough energy to watch Disco since Season 2 ended and I heard Seasons 3 and 4 are just boring not trainwrecks.

I may watch Picard 2 though because Picard 1 was such a goddamn disaster.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

precision posted:

noted hard sci fi series Star Trek, featuring Floating Alien Lincoln and Time Traveling To Gangster Times For No Real Reason

That wasn't time travel, the inhabitants of the gangster planet <somehow> got their hands on a book about 1920s gangsters of Earth, and decided to model their entire society on it.

I have no idea who claims Star Trek is "hard" Sci-Fi, because that's ridiculous and it never has been, obviously. At most it has its own "science" that they try to use at least somewhat consistently in ways that matter to the stories.

Tiberius Christ posted:

No, it mightn't

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 3, 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I just heard Van Wilder was based on Bert Kreischer in college and if true I'm simultaneously floored and the least surprised I've ever been.

Yeah, basically he managed to get this profile in Rolling Stone, which generated some studio attention and almost got optioned. Then the studios decided it would be cheaper to just write the story without having to pay anyone for options or life rights. Also, there was no way FSU would sign off on letting their name or logos be used for the movie, so what advantage would they actually get by paying Bert Kreischer and Erik Hedegaard?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milo and POTUS posted:

poo poo your pants

Enough about Mike

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

infernal machines posted:

That wasn't time travel, the inhabitants of the gangster planet <somehow> got their hands on a book about 1920s gangsters of Earth, and decided to model their entire society on it.

I have no idea who claims Star Trek is "hard" Sci-Fi, because that's ridiculous and it never has been, obviously. At most it has it's own "science" that they try to use at least somewhat consistently in ways that matter to the stories.

Star Trek got a reputation for being "hard" sci-fi because Gene Roddenberry spent most of the 70s and 80s going to every sci-fi convention that would have him and telling a fake story about how NBC killed the original pilot of Star Trek (and eventually killed the series) because it was "just too smart".

The degree to which early Star Trek fandom was astroturfed by Roddenberry is pretty fascinating.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
https://i.imgur.com/4PCdC4V.mp4

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LanceHunter posted:

Star Trek got a reputation for being "hard" sci-fi because Gene Roddenberry spent most of the 70s and 80s going to every sci-fi convention that would have him and telling a fake story about how NBC killed the original pilot of Star Trek (and eventually killed the series) because it was "just too smart".

The degree to which early Star Trek fandom was astroturfed by Roddenberry is pretty fascinating.

I can fully believe ol' Gene Rod n' Berries telling anyone who would listen how incredibly popular his cancelled TV show was is what got the network back to look at Phase 2, the movies, and ultimately TNG.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress you I don't believe you

I haven't had enough energy to watch Disco since Season 2 ended and I heard Seasons 3 and 4 are just boring not trainwrecks.

I may watch Picard 2 though because Picard 1 was such a goddamn disaster.

Season 3 absolutely was a train wreck.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

did he get f'd in the bum as i predicted he would op

fake edit i can't find proof but this is apparently a quote from the episode

quote:

“Putin? It was just a little noise when I pulled out. Nobody was pootin’, okay?”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TIP posted:

Severance is extremely good so far, I am digging it. Great cast, great set design, a tantalizing set of mysteries.. I’m actually kind of glad they are doing weekly releases so I have something to look forward to watching every week!

That and “Our flag means death” are going to be my scheduled viewing for the next while I reckon.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.everysingleframe.com/barrylyndon

I was just thinking about Barry Lyndon again, and every frame really is like a painting

Supposedly it was all lit with natural lights which gives it that special bloomy look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I caught up with the episodes that are out with Severance last night. It is really well done and comparisons to Maniac fit perfectly. It's kind of jarring how grounded the outside world is and then inside the office you have people acting really bizarre, but I guess you just have to chalk it up to being a satire of corporate workplaces and let that go.