Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
I am going to use my Moon Rune to empower myself to double post without incurring sin, cuz I realize this has never been posted here and it's gotta get posted in every Glorantha thread anywhere. From some Glorantha yahoo mailing list I stumbled on by accident:

"YGWV

RE: Arkat and Nysalor
Pursuant to a couple of other threads.

Do not forget that many influences converged to create them, and both were
shaped by known and unknown forces.

The Western power of Demonization certainly influenced Arkat for most of his
war career.
The principle of Shadow certainly shaped Nysalor's (or rather, his empire's)
perception of Arkat as he came closer.

Nysalor did not present himself as a god to the people that "made" him, and
tried often to correct them on what they had actually done. He claimed to be
only a wise person, transcendent in nature, come back voluntarily to reveal
to the world what he knew. He failed to convince 99.99% of the world.

One day Lokamayadon marvelled at his master's ability to ignore the world. A
swarm of big black flies flew into the window and buzzed about him, crawling
on his skin and biting him, even in his eyes and lips, and crawled into his
ears and nose. Nysalor did not react to them at all. At last Lokamayadon
asked what they were.
"Those are the prayers and sacrifices of the unfortunates who worship me,"
said the Master. "They are worthless, just distractions."
That was when Lokamayadon decided to stop sacrificing to Orlanth.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ainda_ posted:

uh hell yeah tysm! yea lemme know if you find it, that's ridiculously generous of you.

https://twitter.com/ialdounet/status/1281266619684212736

The third one here that's either Argath or Starbrow or an anonymous Vingan in particular is sick as hell.

EDIT: idk who that first one I linked is supposed to be, I've just assumed its an anonymous moon sorceress of some kind. I'm gonna say she's from the Sister's Army, cuz Deneskerva is cool.

That's the stuff that would go on to inspire Dark Souls.

Edit: Should have fully caught up before posting.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 16, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I know the name and some aesthetic references are there, but yeah, while Morrowind wears its Glorantha inspirations on its sleeve, I never really felt much of a Glorantha vibe from Dark Souls, and I love Dark Souls.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Well, the Dark Souls plots are all variations of Heroquests, in a way. Linking the Fire like the Gods did.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know the name and some aesthetic references are there, but yeah, while Morrowind wears its Glorantha inspirations on its sleeve, I never really felt much of a Glorantha vibe from Dark Souls, and I love Dark Souls.

All the Glorantha references are cut content.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

All the Glorantha references are cut content.

Quelaag and Kirk are right there in the game.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The aesthetics for some of the Demons are there, yeah, and the names like the Cragspiders and Jareel, but I mean like all the sort of real meaningful aesthetics and vibes and tones and Big Ideas I associate with Glorantha aren't really there.

EDIT: Wait, how was Kirk a reference?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The aesthetics for some of the Demons are there, yeah, and the names like the Cragspiders and Jareel, but I mean like all the sort of real meaningful aesthetics and vibes and tones and Big Ideas I associate with Glorantha aren't really there.

EDIT: Wait, how was Kirk a reference?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I finally got to play RuneQuest Glorantha a few days ago (The Broken Tower with the Quickstart rules), and while the system felt a bit clunky to start with, I like how the runes and passions kind of encourage you to play into your mythical and social connections in order to succeed. I just need to get a handle on the combat system and I feel like it's going to flow really well.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

After almost a year and a half of play and some heroquesting my Runequest character is up to 134% moon rune (and 99% Man).

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Nanomashoes posted:

After almost a year and a half of play and some heroquesting my Runequest character is up to 134% moon rune (and 99% Man).

So does the character go batshit when they see beast tribes or how does that work?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Vadun posted:

So does the character go batshit when they see beast tribes or how does that work?

He heard a satyr flute and became batshit horny and tried to jump off a ship and swim ashore to go join an orgy so no he mostly just grumbles about having to rough it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Not directly Glorantha, but the other day I was introduced to another RPG with a distinct bronze age fantasy setting (though not explicitly magical I think), but it's one of those projects that is driven to a large degree by its art, and much of that could probably be repurposed for *quest purposes:

https://fragmentsofthepast.dev9k.com/

https://www.artstation.com/haematinon

I don't think I have seen the game itself discussed in TG yet though, so no idea about that, I have only perused the art so far.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Very Italian art, I like it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Very cool yea, thank you

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Not directly Glorantha, but the other day I was introduced to another RPG with a distinct bronze age fantasy setting (though not explicitly magical I think), but it's one of those projects that is driven to a large degree by its art, and much of that could probably be repurposed for *quest purposes:

https://fragmentsofthepast.dev9k.com/

https://www.artstation.com/haematinon

I don't think I have seen the game itself discussed in TG yet though, so no idea about that, I have only perused the art so far.

Nice find! I will look into it.

Overall, I have been toying(*) with the idea of some sort of RPG campaign happening before/during the Bronze Age Collapse. Perhaps this would fit the bill?

Civilised cities falling and the barbaric Arameans (inc. polytheistic jews?) plundering the remains.. Gods dying and writing forgotten.

There are many similarities to Glorantha here, but with much lower magic level and the historical background somehow attracts. Some of the Bronze Age civilisations were thousands of years old at the time, which makes it interesting to develop (/adapt from Glorantha) some myths and history.

*) This video was the catalyst for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM6JSS3l-IQ

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Happy people liked it! I have literally never seen this project discussed in any RPG context before (part of this may be that the development seems to be in Italian first, at least the newsletter seems to be Italian only for now) and only found out about it from one of those "cool concept art and worldbuilding" YouTube series that I first got into for space alien design showcases...

Would be fun to hear anyone's experience with the RPG, but I don't have any ins to the Italian RPG community.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 3, 2022

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
The Abnormal Mapping podcast is doing an episode on King of Dragon Pass and is asking for questions/anecdotes if anyone is interested.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Going to start a campaign in Glorantha this year! Bought Runequest in Glorantha and I'm super stoked, but I literally have no experience with the world apart from KoDP (and a little SA-RLTW). So, questions:

1: Where would a good starting/introductory point be for a campaign? I'm more or less decided on central Genertela, because it's what I feel I "know" fro KoDP - although KoDP also has me getting a feel for Yelmites.

2. What are good themes to explore, and how would I explore the ones my group have decided on? These are "swords and sandals" (my players love Conan the Barbarian and thinks Runequest is "a bit like that"), humor (that's their request as well), and I for my part would like to explore the powerful mythological aspect of being able to participate in God-time and affect the 'big story' of the deities with consequences on earth.

3. What's a good primer on recent history? A lot of the stuff I've picked up seems to happen before the timeline of Runequest.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tias posted:

Going to start a campaign in Glorantha this year! Bought Runequest in Glorantha and I'm super stoked, but I literally have no experience with the world apart from KoDP (and a little SA-RLTW). So, questions:

1: Where would a good starting/introductory point be for a campaign? I'm more or less decided on central Genertela, because it's what I feel I "know" fro KoDP - although KoDP also has me getting a feel for Yelmites.

2. What are good themes to explore, and how would I explore the ones my group have decided on? These are "swords and sandals" (my players love Conan the Barbarian and thinks Runequest is "a bit like that"), humor (that's their request as well), and I for my part would like to explore the powerful mythological aspect of being able to participate in God-time and affect the 'big story' of the deities with consequences on earth.

3. What's a good primer on recent history? A lot of the stuff I've picked up seems to happen before the timeline of Runequest.

1)The two most supported settings are Sartar (all editions save 3e) and Prax (3e), so one of those two. Probably Sartar, as it's the country that gets founded at the end of KoDP, so it's what you know.

2)The two that come to mind for me are the clashing and meshing of cultures, which happens as Sartar gets invaded and occupied, then freed from the Lunar Empire, which has its own mythologies and also likes to co-opt its subjects. In addition to that, and building on the god time participation, there's the idea of what good does religion do for man? Does being able to heroquest and take the role of a god inspire people to better themselves (Sartarite perspective) or trap them in outdated, unchangeable narratives (Lunar perspective)?

3)Honestly the official webcomic Prince of Sartar sets up most of the recent events and major players, unfinished as it is. Otherwise it sounds like the Sourcebook is what you want.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks a lot, you own!

What is the sourcebook you refer to?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tias posted:

Thanks a lot, you own!

What is the sourcebook you refer to?

The Glorantha Sourcebook.
https://www.chaosium.com/the-glorantha-sourcebook-pdf/

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

3)Honestly the official webcomic Prince of Sartar sets up most of the recent events and major players, unfinished as it is. Otherwise it sounds like the Sourcebook is what you want.

I don't know what I expected, but this is trippy as gently caress.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Tias posted:

I don't know what I expected, but this is trippy as gently caress.

Thanks, that was part of the aim of it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, let me see if I got this right. I would probably like for my group to originate around Dragon Pass somewhere, like Sartar. This means the recent history goes something like:

War has been going on for decades, with the ascended King Sartar and Tarsh throwing down against the Lunar Empire, killing their king in the battle of Karnge Farm, though this eventually also destroys Tarsh in 1555. Sartar itself falls and is invaded in 1602. Something called the Holy Country eventually dissolves, with their god-king not reconstituting himself as he was apparently supposed to, in 1616. The Lunar empire takes Heortland in 1620, a year before the setting itself takes place.

The actual ruler is some Lunarite governor shithead named Fazzyr or Fazzur, but what form of self-governance is allowed to the tribes of former Sartar and Tarsh? Will everything be infused with a sensation of ongoing resistance and insurgency, or are people doing okay with being forced back into reservations of sorts? It seems like there are a lot of armed factions and some of them are crazy enough to stand up to the Lunars still.

Jenx posted:

Thanks, that was part of the aim of it.

You made it!? Extremely well done, and bringing the mythology alive for newbies like me. Big thumbs up!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fazzur is a Tarshite lunar - he's the world's greatest general, and a brilliant politician, and favored by the Red Goddess... but he's from the provinces, and therefore lower class. His greatest enemies are other, better born lunars.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tias posted:

So, let me see if I got this right. I would probably like for my group to originate around Dragon Pass somewhere, like Sartar. This means the recent history goes something like:

War has been going on for decades, with the ascended King Sartar and Tarsh throwing down against the Lunar Empire, killing their king in the battle of Karnge Farm, though this eventually also destroys Tarsh in 1555. Sartar itself falls and is invaded in 1602. Something called the Holy Country eventually dissolves, with their god-king not reconstituting himself as he was apparently supposed to, in 1616. The Lunar empire takes Heortland in 1620, a year before the setting itself takes place.

The actual ruler is some Lunarite governor shithead named Fazzyr or Fazzur, but what form of self-governance is allowed to the tribes of former Sartar and Tarsh? Will everything be infused with a sensation of ongoing resistance and insurgency, or are people doing okay with being forced back into reservations of sorts? It seems like there are a lot of armed factions and some of them are crazy enough to stand up to the Lunars still.

At the start of the latest edition in 1626, Sartar has just freed itself from a two-decade long occupation by the lunars. This happens because a group of Sartarite heroes (the most important being the current Prince of Sartar Kallyr Starbrow and the King of New Pavis Argrath Whitebull) summoned a dragon to eat the Lunar's Temple of the Reaching Moon, along with most of their high command.

The Holy Country is a coastal nation to the south of Sartar that is also home to the largest city in the world, Nochet. Its god king Belintar (known as the Pharaoh in KoDP, yes, he was still alive until 15 years ago) was a huge thorn in the side of the Lunars and kept the place from being invaded. Heortland is one of the six political division of the Holy Country, like the states of the US. It's also where the original settlers of Sartar came from, where your people just left from in KoDP. For obvious reasons it's culturally similar and there's a lot of deep ties between Sartar and Heortland.

Fazzur Wideread is a cousin to the King of Tarsh, the country to the north of Sartar. He is a highly skilled general who nearly conquered the Holy Country after Belintar's death, but has been constantly frustrated by other Tarshites and Lunars stabbing him in the back to stop him from becoming more powerful than the King. He was appointed governor general of Dragon Pass by the Lunar Emperor for a time, and ruled Sartar under this mantle. His rule was notable for Starbrows Rebellion, when the now-Prince Kallyr tried a failed uprising about a decade ago. Fazzur scapegoated the ducks and tried to genocide them for this. At the moment he's laying low in the city of Dunstop in Tarsh, as the King called him back from sieging the Holy Country’s capital, both to stop him from succeeding and so that the Lunar Assassins the King just hired could try to kill him and most of his supporters. There's too much bad blood between him and Sartar to ever go over to them, but his family and supporters start jumping ship to the rebels as time goes on.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 3, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's in 1626? My guide to Glorantha has a historic picture of the defeated members of Starbrow's rebellion submitting to Fazzur, but I guess it picks up again later then..

The Pharaoh was Belintar!? Crazy poo poo :aaa:

E: Ah never mind, the Runequest rulebook starts later than the Guide and details Starbrow's eventual success.

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 3, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The other reason Fazzur went after the ducks is because they controlled the river route, and he needed it to have reliable logistics to the Holy Country.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bad move, you don't gently caress with the ducks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bad move, you don't gently caress with the ducks.

You're drat right.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

They say Freidar Fazzurson wears a cloak of duck feathers into battle. One of my players who was a duck got to add some passions together after seeing that.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
you actually can gently caress with the ducks pretty easily outside of king of dragon pass. Especially if you're the lunar empire.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wanted the ducks to join my tribe but they laughed at me. :smith:

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
In my recently-completed 13th Age Glorantha campaign, one of the player characters was a Humakti who was the last surviving member of a tribe that had been wiped out in the Duck Hunt. We spun the Duck Hunt as a Lunar plot to take out my player's character's tribe specifically, since they were descendants of Arkat, which was a hell of a revelation for a young Duck adventurer to swallow when it came to light during a Heroquest. I figured Arkat had been plenty of other things, so why not a duck for a while?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Just a heads up that my duck kickstarter is closing deadline. It's been going great, and if you're looking to get some cool ducks then now's the time to join the fun. :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/farflungfigures/the-silver-feather-adventure-guild

Tias
May 25, 2008

Discussion in my group: Would it be better to start a campaign with the Runequest Glorantha starter set, or just buy the rulebook and expand from there? Does the starter set have the option of making a character from scratch that you can take on a longer campaign, or do you have to select from prefabs?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
The starter set doesn’t have character creation IIRC. It looks like a great product though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wanted the ducks to join my tribe but they laughed at me. :smith:

I once did a game entirely based around succeeding at this task, made the ducks steadfast allies first etc. when I asked they agreed to join but a law speaker from some other clan jumped in and found a reason why they couldn't. To this day I don't know if it's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiraeh
Dec 7, 2014

shoplifter posted:

The starter set doesn’t have character creation IIRC. It looks like a great product though.

It's a really good product! It does not include character creation but the premades are pretty nice for giving people the flavour of Glorantha if your players are new to the setting, they have these neat trifold sheets with artwork on the back, running and adventure or two with them to give your players a feel for the setting would work really well, or pull them out for instant npcs, there's 14 so a lot of archetypes are covered. It's worth the price just for the adventures tho imo. But if you can only get one right now and you want to run more than a one-shot or short campaign, it's gotta be the book, it has more complete mechanics/equipment ect.