Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Is this Winter War 2.0? Because man these guys seem to not know wtf they're doing. And it's confirmed that a lot of them didn't even know they'd be fighting Ukrainians.

Global warming has ensured that it is Spring Mud War. Seems like it was a mild winter.

I'm actually curious what the long-term environmental impacts of this will be, assuming the war and sanctions will drag on for many years. On one hand, I realize that a major land war like this is Extremely Not Good for the environment. And if fighting goes on into the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if it kicks off some major wildfires.

On the other hand, several petroleum giants (Exxon, Shell, BP, maybe more?) are pulling out of Russia, so wouldn't a lot more fossil fuel stay in the ground? And the very active Russian domestic aviation industry has maybe a month of life left before flights start becoming very scarce due to lack of maintenance/parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Global warming has ensured that it is Spring Mud War. Seems like it was a mild winter.

I'm actually curious what the long-term environmental impacts of this will be, assuming the war and sanctions will drag on for many years. On one hand, I realize that a major land war like this is Extremely Not Good for the environment. And if fighting goes on into the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if it kicks off some major wildfires.

On the other hand, several petroleum giants (Exxon, Shell, BP, maybe more?) are pulling out of Russia, so wouldn't a lot more fossil fuel stay in the ground? And the very active Russian domestic aviation industry has maybe a month of life left before flights start becoming very scarce due to lack of maintenance/parts.

Despite what sanctimonious Swedish teenagers tell us, aviation contributes only like 3% of the world's emissions (for comparison, road vehicles contribute something like 20-25%). EU countries are going to have to increase coal consumption to offset the shock to their gas supplies and costs, which is going to far and away eclipse any minor drops in emissions from Russians not being able to fly. And Russia will just find investors from China and the ME to offset whatever upstream product was abandoned by the Western firms.

This was already going to be a problem before the war, and it's going to get way worse, as a number of EU countries that were going to use gas as a transition energy source won't be able to.

psydude fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 3, 2022

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This ran in nytimes 1/27/2022

And instead of socks, poorly trained soldiers often wrapped their feet in swaths of cloth, the way their Soviet and Tsarist predecessors had.

First they started wearing socks, and then they inevitably started wearing white socks, and then their fate was sealed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Woodchip posted:

Pantsir, more like Pantsed-ir

Pantsir on the ground
Pantsir on the ground
Lookin' like a fool with your Pantsir on the ground

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Another really good video by Task and Purpose / Chris Cappy

https://youtu.be/K5BAZ2bBUzM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

Despite what sanctimonious Swedish teenagers tell us,

:jerkbag:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Though that swath-of-cloth-instead-of-socks is a good way to keep your feet warm in winter if you know what you are doing (which I don't think the conscripts do). They also dry faster than socks.

But as Finn this whole war is very worrying and horrifying. We are right next to Russia and not in the Nato . At least we don't have oil...

There has been a pretty big upsurge in people joining reservist organisations and enrolling on voluntary reserve courses here for the last week, to the surprise of absolutely no-one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah the non sock thing isn't innately indicative of anything that isn't more obvious with their other glaring faults

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Eminent DNS posted:

It's just homebrew napalm at that point. poo poo, I remember that from the anarchist cookbook I found back in highschool

Proper molotovs always had an additive like that, I think originally it was adding a strip of inner-tube or other rubber that would dissolve over time.

brains
May 12, 2004

rude :colbert:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Ataxerxes posted:

Though that swath-of-cloth-instead-of-socks is a good way to keep your feet warm in winter if you know what you are doing (which I don't think the conscripts do). They also dry faster than socks.

But as Finn this whole war is very worrying and horrifying. We are right next to Russia and not in the Nato . At least we don't have oil...

There has been a pretty big upsurge in people joining reservist organisations and enrolling on voluntary reserve courses here for the last week, to the surprise of absolutely no-one.

My buddy has his reservist refresher training exercise this week, but it was scheduled well in advance of poo poo hitting the fan. I haven't been called to any refreshers ever, and it's been almost sixteen years since I got out, but I was merely a lowly mook, while he went through reserve officer school, though we both were in recon/ranger company.

Some of my students freaked the gently caress out when the war started, but I did my best to calm them, all the while trying not to freak the gently caress out myself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Warden posted:

My buddy has his reservist refresher training exercise this week, but it was scheduled well in advance of poo poo hitting the fan. I haven't been called to any refreshers ever, and it's been almost sixteen years since I got out, but I was merely a lowly mook, while he went through reserve officer school, though we both were in recon/ranger company.

Some of my students freaked the gently caress out when the war started, but I did my best to calm them, all the while trying not to freak the gently caress out myself.

Curious - have you noticed a shift in opinions about joining NATO?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BAZ2bBUzM

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Proper molotovs always had an additive like that, I think originally it was adding a strip of inner-tube or other rubber that would dissolve over time.

Oh cool, good to know

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

psydude posted:

Curious - have you noticed a shift in opinions about joining NATO?

If we're talking students, having an opinion about joining NATO before the crisis would require them to have known anything about NATO, which is a tough ask in our school. It's just that they are generally blissfully ignorant about current affairs and now there's a loving war in Europe where the aggressor is our biggest neighbor, so it is understandable that they are rattled.

If you mean the general population, then yes, support for joining NATO is through the roof at the moment, and two citizens' initiatives about the matter got the required number of signatures, which forces the parliament to take it under consideration (the initiative, I mean).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Warden posted:

If you mean the general population, then yes, support for joining NATO is through the roof at the moment, and two citizens' initiatives about the matter got the required number of signatures, which forces the parliament to take it under consideration (the initiative, I mean).

Oh wow, I didn't know it had made it that far. The comments from your PM made it seem like there was still a lot of reluctance in Parliament.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

psydude posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know it had made it that far. The comments from your PM made it seem like there was still a lot of reluctance in Parliament.

Well, the initiative alone means jackshit. All it means is that the parliament has to treat it the same as they would a proposal from an MP, and our MPs do make proposals that either never make it to a vote due to being, like illegal, or get voted to oblivion. If the parliament does not want to join the NATO, the citizens' initiatives are not going to force them.

I think only three citizens' initiatives have succeeded in parliament, and one of them was legalizing gay marriage.

Warden fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 3, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Intel uodate as of 3/02

https://youtu.be/D5tilAZLZ4Q

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Who is this S2 Underground guy? A lot of videos are, uh, interesting and I think will probably put me on a list somewhere if I start watching them.

In regards to NATO sentiment, here in Austria to no ones suprise joining NATO is still unpopular. However, there is a lot of talk about getting serious about the defense of the EU and some sort of formal EU defense force.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've been seeing a lot of reports of Rosgvardia units being wiped out. I thought they were just a regular Reserve Component force like the US National Guard, but apparently they're the equivalent of Russia's DHS. They have no armor and no combined arms military training outside of small unit tactical stuff.

Apparently Putin included them thinking they'd be more loyal and effective than the regular Russian military. :lol:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Dick Ripple posted:

Who is this S2 Underground guy? A lot of videos are, uh, interesting and I think will probably put me on a list somewhere if I start watching them.

In regards to NATO sentiment, here in Austria to no ones suprise joining NATO is still unpopular. However, there is a lot of talk about getting serious about the defense of the EU and some sort of formal EU defense force.

He's an anti mask chud through and through, but he has great information on war, communication, GPS, etc. He mostly keeps his politics out of the videos but some are blatantly obnoxious. I think he's former intel.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dick Ripple posted:

He’s a weird chud at best or fascist

psydude posted:

I've been seeing a lot of reports of Rosgvardia units being wiped out. I thought they were just a regular Reserve Component force like the US National Guard, but apparently they're the equivalent of Russia's DHS. They have no armor and no combined arms military training outside of small unit tactical stuff.

Apparently Putin included them thinking they'd be more loyal and effective than the regular Russian military. :lol:

Is that the “internal troops” or something different?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

This was a ridiculous loving probe someone posted what is Nazi propaganda and this guy called it out. Don’t be a loving baby because you don’t wanna hear it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

This was a ridiculous loving probe someone posted what is Nazi propaganda and this guy called it out. Don’t be a loving baby because you don’t wanna hear it.

:qq:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

These dudes are going to be shooting Roma for fun if they can. Just because they’re fighting other fascists who would do the same doesn’t make them cool or whatever. But okay you owned me for not liking people reposting their stuff.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://m.dw.com/en/germany-to-ship-anti-aircraft-missiles-to-ukraine-reports/a-60995325

Germany is sending 2700 Strela MANPADs leftover from the DDR to Ukraine. What are the odds that solid-fuel rockets made in the 80s still work?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Nobody thinks Azov is ok.

Also, everyone is sick of people kramering into every thread out of breath yelling AZOV ARE NAZIS. We know.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

stealie72 posted:

Nobody thinks Azov is ok.

Also, everyone is sick of people kramering into every thread out of breath yelling AZOV ARE NAZIS. We know.

Disagreeing with you isn’t “KRAMERING IN” and if he knew why did he post it?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Disagreeing with you isn’t “KRAMERING IN” and if he knew why did he post it?

Yes I am sure CommieGIR posted the photo because they are trying to advance the worldwide goals of Nazi ideology, 14 words and all. You've made us all aware of some aspect of the Ukraine that no one has ever heard of before yesterday and that most people itt enthusiastically support and we need to ban everyone itt over, thanks for your service 🙏

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Gas is up to $4.30 where I'm at. It jumped overnight from $3.70 ish.

Things are going to get dicey for people living paycheck to paycheck. Chuds are gonna complain that it's all Biden's fault. But we can't let Russia get away with this, and we can't exactly start WWIII over it, so we'll just have to endure.

I'm afraid that we're not a society built for coming together and persevering through hardship together. This isn't gonna be like America in WWII with victory gardens and rationing. This isn't going to be London during the blitz. We're too tribal, too divided, and we have far too many delusional pieces of dogshit that will blame any and all hardships on Biden and the Dems alone.

I don't think things are going to go well in the mid terms.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wrong.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

I don't think things are going to go well in the mid terms.

Sadly I think that was the case before all the Ukraine poo poo too.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

You'd kind of think folks on this of all subforums would already know there are usually some truly awful people on both sides in a war. It's at best a red herring.

Back on topic, what's stunning to me is that the armour losses the Russian army has sustained in a single week are already close to what the Soviet army lost over ten years in Afghanistan, which at the time was considered such a humiliating defeat that it likely contributed to the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm loving these videos of farmers towing abandoned Russian hardware back to the Ukrainian military.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The amusing part is with the exception of the javelins, the Ukranians have basically been using similar or older Russian hardware, so you can't even put it down to superior technology.

I wonder if the US MIC will be sweating a little, given that a lot of their fortune was built on a foundation of the DOD severely overestimating the USSR's warfighting capabilities for 40 years?

I remember in the 90s being told by every older kid that the mig29 and su27 would fly rings around anything the Americans had in the air at the time. gently caress, I heard an otherwise respectable podcaster a few days after Putin went in, prattling on about the Russians' military tech was "10 years ahead" of yours. It's just odd how quickly people gulp down the Kool aid.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

You'd kind of think folks on this of all subforums would already know there are usually some truly awful people on both sides in a war. It's at best a red herring.

Back on topic, what's stunning to me is that the armour losses the Russian army has sustained in a single week are already close to what the Soviet army lost over ten years in Afghanistan, which at the time was considered such a humiliating defeat that it likely contributed to the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Has any trustworthy numbers of Russian losses come out?? All I've seen is what the Ukrainian Army has released which are going to be inflated(even if they are only doubling the real numbers :stare:)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there some more independent estimate of losses somewhere than those of the involved governments?

Efb

UN put out civcas reports every two days it seems

https://ukraine.un.org/en/173719-civilian-casualties-2400-1-march-2022

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 3, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

The amusing part is with the exception of the javelins, the Ukranians have basically been using similar or older Russian hardware, so you can't even put it down to superior technology.

I wonder if the US MIC will be sweating a little, given that a lot of their fortune was built on a foundation of the DOD severely overestimating the USSR's warfighting capabilities for 40 years?

I remember in the 90s being told by every older kid that the mig29 and su27 would fly rings around anything the Americans had in the air at the time. gently caress, I heard an otherwise respectable podcaster a few days after Putin went in, prattling on about the Russians' military tech was "10 years ahead" of yours. It's just odd how quickly people gulp down the Kool aid.

They definitely exaggerate the threat to a degree, but their main selling point these days is that they can turbo kill everything while putting US/allied lives at minimal risk. Desert Storm, The Balkans, OIF I Libya, and Syria, all reinforced this. If anything, I'm guessing it's going to accelerate procurement timelines for NATO/allied governments looking to buy the F-35, particularly now that the supply chain for the Russian-made jets is severely messed up.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 3, 2022

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Flikken posted:

Has any trustworthy numbers of Russian losses come out?? All I've seen is what the Ukrainian Army has released which are going to be inflated(even if they are only doubling the real numbers :stare:)

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the armour losses were mechanical/mobility casualties. Here's your folding shovel: dig this 40 ton piece of poo poo out of the mud for the third time today, but this time you're getting shot at.

That being said with how terrifyingly effective modern ATGMs are, I'll be surprised if the M1 and T-90 get a modern replacement (unless it's unmanned).

I know that I've said that a convoy of vehicles running out of food and fuel would be a morale victory, but in the interests of the sort of victory that actually counts: How hard would it be to stuff a CBU-97 into the business end of an SS-21?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Flikken posted:

Ukraine is claiming Russian losses are up around 6000 soldiers (not sure if they are combining deaths and injuries here).
The Russians are claiming that they've sustained "only" 500 deaths and 1600 injured. So....that's gonna be a good bit higher than that.