Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

alnilam posted:

This isn't a whole solution but you'd be amazed how nice of a route you can end up with simply by checking "avoid highways." Ended up with a lot of very scenic motorcycle rides that way.

I tend to have the opposite problem, if anything. It just doesn't want me to take major roads if there's any possible alternative. Even if that means a weirdly circuitous and complicated route. Also, it's nice that the bicycle directions factor in places cars can't go (ie. bike paths), but it would be nice if it didn't weight them so heavily that it'll happily double the length of a trip just to make use of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I tend to have the opposite problem, if anything. It just doesn't want me to take major roads if there's any possible alternative. Even if that means a weirdly circuitous and complicated route. Also, it's nice that the bicycle directions factor in places cars can't go (ie. bike paths), but it would be nice if it didn't weight them so heavily that it'll happily double the length of a trip just to make use of one.

Yeah also the right way to do it is often to take side roads anyway. Apart from physically separated bike facilities where possible, the favored design (which tbf many cities don't follow) is to turn side roads into bikeways where car traffic is allowed but discouraged (by making it annoying to drive on basically), and to put bike lanes only on major/trafficky roads that need it for safe passage along the first/last half mile or what have you. So Google maps' simplistic weighting towards bike lanes often ends up putting you on a much less ideal route.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I want an air quality monitor so that I can tell whether these HEPA filters are working. Can anyone recommend one, possibly from Amazon? I guess I'm looking for VOCs, CO2 (I know this won't be improved by the filter), and is there some kind of measure that will tell me how bad the dust is?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

That sounds perfect. Is that Bing Maps or something different? 'Cause that's what came up when I googled "ms maps", and I can't see a way to do what you're describing, but I might just be missing it.

Sorry, I wasn't sure what it was called either. I guess it's "Windows Maps": https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-maps/9wzdncrdtbvb?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Here's how that looks.

Obviously you can draw this along the streets you want to drive on, and that drawing will stick to the correct place as you zoom or move around. The only downside again is that it can't be easily converted to navigation directions.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I want an air quality monitor so that I can tell whether these HEPA filters are working. Can anyone recommend one, possibly from Amazon? I guess I'm looking for VOCs, CO2 (I know this won't be improved by the filter), and is there some kind of measure that will tell me how bad the dust is?

I got a JSM-131 during some wildfires, primarilu for PM sensing but it also does VOCs, CO2, and HCHO. I even verified that its PM measurements were accurate (enough for me at least) by comparing its outdoor measurements to purpleair data.

I don't pay much attention to the CO2 measurement but I do believe you have to calibrate it to get good measurements, I never bothered to cause again I was interested in PM.

tldr it's cheap and works fine but it's not the best out there, I know you can get some really snazzy AQ monitors / loggers for several hundo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm using this old laptop, it wants to update windows 10--or update windows to 10... I don't know the admin password, but i know the PIN to a user acct that has admin privileges. Will I be in trouble/ locked out? If so, how do I get the admin password?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I have 300+ pages of old cartoons I drew and I want them scanned into digital documents. Went to FedEx Kinkos or whatever they're called now and they said it would cost forty nine cents a page! That's loving bonkers. What's the cheapest way to do this? Would it just be worth it to buy a scanner myself? I'm not sure how much those even cost, or if I can get them without the printer attachment.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

credburn posted:

I have 300+ pages of old cartoons I drew and I want them scanned into digital documents. Went to FedEx Kinkos or whatever they're called now and they said it would cost forty nine cents a page! That's loving bonkers. What's the cheapest way to do this? Would it just be worth it to buy a scanner myself? I'm not sure how much those even cost, or if I can get them without the printer attachment.

Your library most likely has a scanner you can use. Also if you have a decent camera or phone with a decent camera you can use those with the right setup (something to hold your phone/camera in place and good lighting)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Definitely try the library first, and failing that, ask any friends you might have who go to a university, or work in an office.

Are they all on 8.5x11 pieces of paper? That makes it a much easier ask of a friend, because fancy printer-scanners will have an automatic document feeder tray that can even do 2-sided and just scan the whole stack in one go.

e: If they are indeed on regular paper, then failing that you can get a document scanner for really cheap, like $20, that is really small because it pulls the paper through instead of being a big flatbed. Quality won't be amazing but it will be decent. With 300+ pages though, this will make the job take a really long time and a ton of work, as opposed to putting them in a big stack and using a fancy automatic feeder and getting it done in 10 minutes... so if I were you I'd really try to find one of those to borrow/use.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 1, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I have an older version of this thing and it works fine. I only really use it for the PM2.5 and temperature measurements, but they seem basically accurate.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Oh, the library! Thanks, I'll check it out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

I got a JSM-131 during some wildfires, primarilu for PM sensing but it also does VOCs, CO2, and HCHO. I even verified that its PM measurements were accurate (enough for me at least) by comparing its outdoor measurements to purpleair data.

I don't pay much attention to the CO2 measurement but I do believe you have to calibrate it to get good measurements, I never bothered to cause again I was interested in PM.

tldr it's cheap and works fine but it's not the best out there, I know you can get some really snazzy AQ monitors / loggers for several hundo.

Thanks! The price of that one (~60CAD shipped!) is right so I grabbed it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Not sure if this is the issue or how to control it, but Google maps might be using live traffic data to draw the quickest route. I've seen this happen with navigation before. Does it give the same route at different times of the day? Maybe there's a way to set the time like you can when planning a route with public transport.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry, I wasn't sure what it was called either. I guess it's "Windows Maps": https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-maps/9wzdncrdtbvb?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Looks like that would be exactly what I wanted... if I used Windows. Doesn't look like it's available on other OSes or as a webpage. :(

greazeball posted:

Maybe there's a way to set the time like you can when planning a route with public transport.
Nope. The "depart/arrive at" dropdown only appears when you set the mode to public transport. :(

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Have you tried gmap-pedometer? If all you want to do is click a bunch of waypoints and map between them, that's what that's for. I don't think it's any harder or easier than just dragging the route around as many times as necessary on Google maps though.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What's the best way to get started with yoga? Should I buy the mat first? Is there a good series of youtubes on the basic moves? Should I take a class first?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

alnilam posted:

Have you tried gmap-pedometer? If all you want to do is click a bunch of waypoints and map between them, that's what that's for. I don't think it's any harder or easier than just dragging the route around as many times as necessary on Google maps though.
It does have the option to just draw straight lines between points, which is something Google Maps doesn't have.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's the best way to get started with yoga? Should I buy the mat first? Is there a good series of youtubes on the basic moves? Should I take a class first?

You don't really need a mat. I would just look on YouTube for "yoga for beginners" and maybe add if you have a specific goal in mind (e.g for stress relief, for exercise, for flexibility). This will lead you to guided routines, you just learn the moves as you go.

Follow along with a couple routines and then from there you can decide things like if you want to buy a mat or take a class or stick with one guide or hop around the internet or whatever.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tiggum posted:

Looks like that would be exactly what I wanted... if I used Windows. Doesn't look like it's available on other OSes or as a webpage. :(

Run Windows in a VM maybe?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Check out Yoga with Adriene on YT. She has tonnes of nice and easy to follow videos and even does a 30 day series at the start of each year if you really want to dive in. A mat can be helpful if you slide around a bit on the floor or if it's a bit harsh on the old body but isn't necessary.

If you have a .edu email address the Down Dog app is free too and is highly rated.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
You can use a beach towel or blanket as a mat substitute, if you need something but haven’t decided to invest in a mat yet.

Seconding Yoga with Adriene as a great place to start.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My kitchen sink's drain and stopper are as pictured below. The stopper often pops out while I'm washing dishes. Is there some other kind of stopper I can use for this drain that will stay put, or do I have to replace the drain?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hooah posted:

My kitchen sink's drain and stopper are as pictured below. The stopper often pops out while I'm washing dishes. Is there some other kind of stopper I can use for this drain that will stay put, or do I have to replace the drain?

Slide the rubber black part further down the stopper. It should move up and down that shaft. Get it into position so it's around the bottom while the top is seated.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

A mat doesn't really cost much anyway. It's just a piece of foam...

...holy poo poo, I've just googled, and I'm completely wrong, they can cost over $100! Good grief. The profit margin on those must be insane!

...well, hang on, here we go. Something like this works fine, and that's $17AUD.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Slide the rubber black part further down the stopper. It should move up and down that shaft. Get it into position so it's around the bottom while the top is seated.

The rubber part on mine can't move.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

hooah posted:

You should just be able to use a ordinary cheap rubber stopper in that smaller recessed center part of the drain.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

hooah posted:

The rubber part on mine can't move.

It looks like the basket is meant to be held down in place by the down-facing loop part exerting pressure against the rectangular hole in the drain

code:
outward force
   <-| |->
so maybe try to lever the loop apart just a bit to see if that snugs it up? Failing that, it should be possible to find a replacement for the basket at a hardware store.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

MyronMulch posted:

code:
outward force
   <-| |->
no ring and it's cheating to put words in your ASCTSE art

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a small request, does anyone know what story this post is referencing, the person didn't respond to requests for a source and doesn't have plat soooo:

Pennsylvanian posted:

This is one of my favorite sci-fi scenarios. I read a kind of short story/novella-sized thing in a Reddit writing group where spacefaring aliens under attack from a non-sentient alien race discover humanity and basically look at us the way that the Mass Effect races look at Krogan. We can eat what's poisonous to them, survive limbs being cut off, can fire weapons that break the alien races' shoulders, and they're even shocked when some Canadian private tries to take a Queen of the alien Xenomorph-like aliens prisoner. The story follows a Russian translator working with a joint US-Soviet strike force that tries to rescue an embattled space port. It's novel-sized now and he's trying to finish it.
it sounds like a fun read

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MyronMulch posted:

It looks like the basket is meant to be held down in place by the down-facing loop part exerting pressure against the rectangular hole in the drain

code:
outward force
   <-| |->
so maybe try to lever the loop apart just a bit to see if that snugs it up? Failing that, it should be possible to find a replacement for the basket at a hardware store.

That's a good idea. If prying it apart doesn't help, I think I'll just get a rubber stopper, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Invictus posted:

a small request, does anyone know what story this post is referencing, the person didn't respond to requests for a source and doesn't have plat soooo:

it sounds like a fun read

Well I can tell you that if the Reddit writing group is not itself /r/HFY, they will certainly be able to point you in the right direction.

Post in their “looking for story” thread if you cannot find it yourself.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 3, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

There's a very informative thread in YLLS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915287

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Platystemon posted:

Well I can tell you that if the Reddit writing group is not itself /r/HFY, they will certainly be able to point you in the right direction.

Post in their “looking for story” thread if you cannot find it yourself.
alright, thanks! I don't use reddit much so I was unfamiliar.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I've seen a bunch of short stories about humans as orcs on Tumblr, I think a bunch of them are collected on Earth Is Space Australia (hasn't updated in a while but can be a fun rabbithole). There's also a short story collection called Humans Wanted you might like, as well as Harry Turtledove's short story The Road Not Taken (not exactly the same but a fun 'what if humans were the terrifying aliens' variation).

You know how most photography software will have a button you can hit for 'automatically fix my picture' that adjusts the levels/contrast/etc? Is there one that will let you bulk select photos and apply that, preferably non-destructively? I'm thinking of something similar to Lightroom (although I don't think that has 'bulk edit' in the same way) but with a one-time purchase. I've been looking at Luminar and ON1 but if there's a bulk edit option it's not intuitively obvious to me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's also this collection of Tumblr posts on how alien races in Star Trek view the human race that was going around the internet a while back.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Everett False posted:

You know how most photography software will have a button you can hit for 'automatically fix my picture' that adjusts the levels/contrast/etc? Is there one that will let you bulk select photos and apply that, preferably non-destructively? I'm thinking of something similar to Lightroom (although I don't think that has 'bulk edit' in the same way) but with a one-time purchase. I've been looking at Luminar and ON1 but if there's a bulk edit option it's not intuitively obvious to me.

Affinity Photo has a macro function, and a batch function you can use to apply macros. So you should be able to create a macro that applies auto levels/contrast/color/&c. and then run from there. However, it seems to save these as separate files, which isn't quite the same as non-destructive. It's possible that if you save them in affinity's format, it'll preserve the history and you could just go back; however I've never used the batch function, so these are just guesses.

Their help page about batch jobs does make it seem as if they're saved as new files, for what that's worth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You may also be thinking of The Deathworlders.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Everett False posted:

I've seen a bunch of short stories about humans as orcs on Tumblr, I think a bunch of them are collected on Earth Is Space Australia (hasn't updated in a while but can be a fun rabbithole). There's also a short story collection called Humans Wanted you might like, as well as Harry Turtledove's short story The Road Not Taken (not exactly the same but a fun 'what if humans were the terrifying aliens' variation).

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why do old toilets have the tank raised up high? I know it increases the pressure, but what changed about toilet design that made it not need to have so much head anymore? Bigger pipe between tank and bowl?

Or is it the flushing mechanism (pull chain vs lever and flapper)?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

This is what we use in our office. For the most part we do it to mass convert files to jpg/jpeg and size down to the same resolution. I think it should work for other batch processing.