Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

We had our first child last Thursday and as a new dad I am petrified of carrying him - I constantly worry about hurting his neck, pressing his soft spot or dropping him - any tips?

Also burping - really struggle with that one. I can do over the shoulder burping but the one on the lap, I can’t get my head around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Manwithastick posted:

We had our first child last Thursday and as a new dad I am petrified of carrying him - I constantly worry about hurting his neck, pressing his soft spot or dropping him - any tips?

Also burping - really struggle with that one. I can do over the shoulder burping but the one on the lap, I can’t get my head around

I spent almost the first month absolutely terrified of the same thing so i feel you there. No real tips other than babies are slightly tougher than you'd think. As long as you support the head without bending it too much you're doing fine. And i never figured out hoe to do the lap burp either.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Slaan posted:

Baby just discovered today that I have chest hair. I'm not sure what's more painful, the far too strong to be a baby pulling or the billion tiny cuts from razor sharp baby nails

Ours is now 10 weeks old and my wife is teaching her to grab my beard

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Manwithastick posted:

Congrats!!

Honestly it’s all practice. I was nuts the first like two days my son was born, and during his first bath my wife and I were both super anxious with like steadying his head but not letting him flop and whatever. Just keep doing it, definitely make sure you are comfortable but push yourself. Maybe start with just holding him while sitting down, trying a few different positions, then standing up and carrying when you feel like you have him secure. To take your mind off it you can also play some soothing music and rock the baby/sway back and forth.

I have a dad friend with a 2.5 y/o and he constantly doubted himself to the point where he doesn’t do much with his son because the second the kid cries “mommy” or whines he thinks he is loving up or isn’t good enough or something and goes for the hand off to Mom. Kinda wild.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manwithastick posted:

If you're already consciously being careful you're probably fine. It's when people are totally not careful that problems arise. I wouldn't worry too much.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
You get used to it and the kid does too. It's a learning experience all around.

The stuff you worry about during the first week or two fades away because you're used to it and also because there's new poo poo to worry about

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
No joke, this extremely bro-y YouTube video was something I watched in the hospital when my daughter was born and then I was slinging her around like a pigskin on Sunday. https://youtu.be/7yL9pnDP6jY

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Manwithastick posted:

Welcome to parenthood! I had exactly the same fears when I had my kids, even with the second one when I had already been through it. They feel so fragile! As others have said, you do get used to it, it’s going to take time. No real tips other than remember to keep a hand under his head and not to freak out any time something weird happens - all of it will become routine soon enough.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think it also depends on how developed the baby's neck muscles are at birth

My cousin's kid had a limp noodle for a neck and nobody was allowed to hold him even at 6 weeks

My baby came out very lean but had excellent neck control within 12 hours and got to be held by a bunch of people.

All babies are different

Edit: and yeah you'll gently caress up once or twice, it happens to everyone, their head is firmly attached though, don't worry, just don't make a habit of it

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Meanwhile here we are at #4, I can carry a baby in my literal sleep and he'd already had his first tiny taste of Baja Blast freeze at 4.5 months. At some point you just get confident and used to it :v:

(As a counterpoint, I about died when #2 was 2 months old and I whacked his head into a door frame carrying him.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
My toddler is waking up at 5:30 every day and we know it’s time to push his bedtime back from 7:30 to 8 but drat it’s hard to give up more adult time in the evening.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

D34THROW posted:

(As a counterpoint, I about died when #2 was 2 months old and I whacked his head into a door frame carrying him.
I still remember very clearly the first time I did this. I did a full on inspection and observation period.

Now 20 months-ish later, he just fell off the couch and my check was "oh he got up cool he's fine"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Evergreen comic (I can't even remember where I saw it, here?):

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
One thing my mom always reminded me was that babies are meant to survive. They're not as fragile as we think. (Prematurity or other health concerns aside, of course.)

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
When my son was like 9 months old and first crawling around I accidentally tripped over him and fell on top of him. He had a bit of blood around his eye and I immediately assumed I must have given him a concussion or blinded him for life. He ended up being fine after 15 minutes, though he had a nasty black eye for a week. Anyways yeah they are tougher than they look and I’m a terrible father.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Me the first week after my daughter was born: If I look at you funny you'll shatter!

Me the second week: Yeah I'm just gonna hold you in one arm while I open doors and poo poo.

Your confidence will go up quickly as you learn what works.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
When I gave birth to our daughter, I was so afraid of holding her the wrong way. When I was struggling to position her while we were both learning to breastfeed, the nurse told me "Don't worry, you're not going to break her." And hearing that from a professional really helped me feel more confident about handling her. Babies are hardier than you think! Support the head and you'll be all right!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My kid has hurt herself a lot with no permanent damage yet. She fell off the changing table once, she’s fallen off the couch a few times and fallen out of the glider. Just yesterday she fell off a dining room chair. She’s been climbing them like mad and even though I was right there, I was just a split second too slow to catch her. She cried a lot, but then she was fine. We’re going to have to do something about the chairs though, since I can’t turn my back without her climbing them.

Just after Christmas she fell face first into the side of her cardboard toy box and cut her lip open. It was horrifying to me to see blood come out of her mouth. She was fine after a few minutes though and we let her have some ice cream.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

King Hong Kong posted:

Lmao two weeks of daycare closure and all the kids in the room are sick again after a single day back.

My 11 month old had a settling in day at nursery on Monday. All good and he dived into everything with no fear, but he's producing an incredible amount of snot and being about 20% more cranky now.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

As a corollary to babies are reasonably sturdy chat (because they are)- do get serious and pay attention on the stairs while holding kids. Especially while sleep deprived and when they go through those ‘randomly throw their head back’ phases.

I’m not trying to increase anxiety, but to channel it towards a constructive point in the house.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

My 7 year old is a wonderful kid a lot of the time. Though as far as comedy and fart jokes she lets em rip, metaphorically and literally. Sometimes however, she goes hard rebel mode and hates any hits to her pride and gets stubborn about learning anything ("I already knew that"), especially things she doesn't already know. I'm trying to help her realize how to be more humble but feel like she's just a stubborn kid the same way I was. Anyone have book recommendations to help a stubborn kid, assuming that'd even what it is?

I'm glad she's strong willed but I don't want her to miss out on opportunities from it.
This is pretty age appropriate, if it makes you feel any better.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

My 20mo had a poo poo night sleep-wise and decided to double down with a very short nap and a "I'll fight all attempts at more sleep you rear end in a top hat" type attitude today so that's fun

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Oh, I too have a "kids are tough" story. I learned this by him seeing a blonde girl at the playground (possibly for the first time) and literally walking off the playground equipment, falling flat on his face from a height of 2-3 feet into mulch. Lots of crying, and a cut lip, but in 5 minutes he was wanting to follow the little girl around the playground.l and get her attention.

My poor dude is gonna be a goon alright.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So far it seems that my kid gets more upset about anything you try to do to address his injuries than the injury itself.

Sure he's going to cry when he trips and busts his lip because of course he will that hurts, but a little hug and holding will clear it right up. If someone tries to wipe the blood off his face or ice a bruise you'd think he was being murdered.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Why is one of my almost 5 year old twins crying? Because water went up his nose during bath and he is afraid he won’t be able to smell anymore.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

No idea how we got a chore baby but the kid spent nearly an hour after getting home tonight doing chores.

He loaded the laundry into the basket to go wash, emptied the trash, emptied the dishwasher then "cleaned" the grill (unsuccessfully) then started picking up leaves and putting them into the compost bin.

Kid, youre not even 2. You'll be doing chores your whole life. You don't gotta start now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

7 1/2 months old and now my baby is getting fussy with milk. Since the new year began he drank his bottle like a champ but the past two weeks he fights after about halfway, every time. No change in formula or bottle. He is usually getting two meals of real food a day but he still cries like he wants his bottle...but then gives up much earlier. Only when he's incredibly sleepy will he knock down the whole thing.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

L0cke17 posted:

No idea how we got a chore baby but the kid spent nearly an hour after getting home tonight doing chores.

He loaded the laundry into the basket to go wash, emptied the trash, emptied the dishwasher then "cleaned" the grill (unsuccessfully) then started picking up leaves and putting them into the compost bin.

Kid, youre not even 2. You'll be doing chores your whole life. You don't gotta start now.

Roll with it. If you stop him from doing chores now, he might never pick them up again. It’s a fun game to him, I promise he’s not suffering!

(FWIW, ours stopped spontaneously doing stuff like that before she turned three. But I’m happy she at least retained some good habits, like throwing her trash in the bin herself, helping to carry the recycling and other small things.)

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
how do other folks manage their kids wanting to schedule playdates with every rando at the park? my 6yo loved this one kid today and wrote down his name on a post-it and everything. i usually just let it go and assume they'll either never see each other again or, on the off chance they do, then maybe connect with the kid's parents.

anyways, kids are funny.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

L0cke17 posted:

Our toddler does the same, unprompted. She'll grab folded laundry by the armload and run to her room to put them in her dresser. Sometimes she'll grab clothes I haven't sorted or folded yet so I have to stop her sometimes! We got her a Melissa and Doug mini broom and mop set so she loves to sweep when we do and then pick up food from the floor to run to the trash can. She'll also grab a rag and start wiping the floor. The enthusiasm is very cute!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

Our daughter's done the "i'm going to stand next to the bed while you sleep staring until you wake up thing" and it's loving unnerving as hell.

And i think fart jokes are genetically hard-wired into us.

My daughter's decided she wants to scare us by hiding in the shower, so she'll wake up before us and go hide in the shower until we wake up and go into the bathroom so she can jump-scare us. But she'll wait there for like over an hour, so patient.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I’m finding it hard not to compare my son to my daughter when it comes to developmental milestones. Looking at old videos of her, when she was nine months, she was crawling and saying “uh oh” and making all kinds of other noises. My son still hates being put on his belly so he hasn’t figured out crawling yet, though he is good at standing up unsupported while holding on to furniture. He just started “bababa” a few days ago. He’s also so small compared to her, but she was 98%ile and he has been 20%ile. I know he’s still considered normal, but it’s hard to not feel like he is behind. If a friend was telling me that this was her experience I would say “ppsssh don’t even worry about it,” but it’s so different when it’s your own kids.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We're having the same deal comparing our son and daughter, except our son is the older one. He was an inert lump for the longest time, didn't reliably roll over until he was like 5 months old, took a long time to crawl and walk and didn't really say any proto-words until he started using actual words shortly before 2. Our daughter rolled over twice at 5 weeks (jesus christ) and shows an inclination to repeat these attempts any time her nappy is off, and even at 7 weeks is so much more mobile than he was. I'm curious to see if she'll follow the same timeline as him on the gross motor skills or if it'll happen much faster for her. He's also being strongly resistant to potty training so we'll see in time if she is too.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone with older kids (like older than 4) remember if/when tantrums started to taper off from happening at least once daily to every once in awhile? And when they decreased in length? We just had the longest tantrum in awhile yesterday, over the iPad he had forgotten existed for months. We were gonna let him use it while he sat on the potty to poop, and he wanted to use it now. He was not in the mood to negotiate. He will be 4 soon, and I was hoping these tantrums would decrease in length and frequency. He was absolutely unable to listen yesterday and would not comply with a single thing, including staying in time out, and not ignoring us completely. To give a better picture, we do not typically let him walk all over us or give him reason to think we won’t follow through when we threaten consequences. He just seems to be able to handle consequences given and will scream and cry to get his way, regardless of the fact he knows we will follow through.

Tamarillo posted:

We're having the same deal comparing our son and daughter, except our son is the older one. He was an inert lump for the longest time, didn't reliably roll over until he was like 5 months old, took a long time to crawl and walk and didn't really say any proto-words until he started using actual words shortly before 2. Our daughter rolled over twice at 5 weeks (jesus christ) and shows an inclination to repeat these attempts any time her nappy is off, and even at 7 weeks is so much more mobile than he was. I'm curious to see if she'll follow the same timeline as him on the gross motor skills or if it'll happen much faster for her. He's also being strongly resistant to potty training so we'll see in time if she is too.

Our daughter is doing things much faster than our son did. She’s been starting to balance on her legs and take a few steps to get to us, all on her own. She’s ready to go places, and she will be walking within the month I’m sure.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tantrums really depend on the child.

Oldest is 6 and has about one weekly tantrum, and it's been that way for about a year. She still had emotional outbursts, but can talk her way through them.

Twins are almost 4 (in less than two months): boy twin has at least one tantrum a day, while girl twin has fewer tantrums than our oldest. She has a much sunnier disposition.

We work a lot on emotional intelligence, naming their emotions, developing calming strategies, getting through that negative emotions are acceptable, and that showing negative emotion is acceptable, but certain actions to show it after not (hitting, breaking, extreme screaming). Emotion work had really cut down on tantrum length... But sometimes kids just get tired, and just can't regulate themselves.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My almost one year old did a brief flop-on-his-back tantrum yesterday when he didn’t get to look at a book his sister was using. His almost three sis never really did that style of tantrum.

Ah, how different kids are :sludgepal:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

My daughter's almost 6 and still throws at least one tantrum a day on average when she's with us. But she's having to deal with horsehumper waking her up at like 5a to get her to school on time during his possession periods. Plus the usual separation anxiety when her friends have to leave after a playdate; or getting upset that we won't let her sleep in our bed/sleep in her room like her "other dad" does. So it's understandable if frustrating.

Our son's mostly a giggly hellion but has been super fussy the last few days. Poor little dude's currently home with a fever.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 9 year old throws daily tantrums but he's in therapy to deal with things like that.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My almost 8 year old throws more tantrums than my almost 5 year old. She can be coached through them, but her threshold for emotional overwhelm is just relatively lower than my son’s.

Also bonus, her tantrums include slamming doors and screaming that I’m so mean and the WORST mommy in the world. So that’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
On Wednesday we told the kids that there was a baby in Mommy's tummy. On Saturday, after getting our SneakPeek results back, we told them the gender with a box full of helium balloons.

#4 is still carrying his completely deflated balloon around like a pet. #3 and #4 are also going through their things and deciding what to give the new baby when they come. :kimchi: