Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rookoo posted:

Early-ish game but I did the finger snap thing in the ruins and The wolf man appeared but I got ganked by the sleeping Bear before I could speak to him. Now there's no howling in the location. I'm guessing I missed my chance?

nah the howling occurs regularly, it's probably just set to trigger at evening or something. you can try again later or just not worry about it since you'll almost certainly meet him later anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jerusalem posted:

It's actually been an issue for me from release that when I exit the game, it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute before the game actually registers as no longer running.

It's always taken a few seconds but now it just, straight up does not stop. I can listen to the title screen track all I want I guess.

Rookoo posted:

Early-ish game but I did the finger snap thing in the ruins and The wolf man appeared but I got ganked by the sleeping Bear before I could speak to him. Now there's no howling in the location. I'm guessing I missed my chance?

Try warping somewhere else like the round table and warping back or changing the time of day a few times; I've had to do that to get NPCs to spawn before. Failing that try going to the next location in his quest chain the forlorn hound evergaol and seeing if he's outside or inside that, IIRC it's where he goes after the forest conversation.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Mr Stark I don't feel so good

https://i.imgur.com/rquunUw.mp4

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i've spent a lot of time riding around on an invisible horse and an irritating amount of time stuck t-posing in mid-air with controls unresponsive because i tried to get onto my horse while an enemy was doing a special attack of some sort

looking forward to a more stable version of the game some months from now but overall i don't regret playing at launch lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Royal Capitol is the best area in any Fromsoft game

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Mr Stark I don't feel so good

https://i.imgur.com/rquunUw.mp4

Just a flesh wound!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Where do you get more spells for astrologer

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

infraboy posted:

l

I explored there today, if you go towards the end there are some little dudes easy enough to kill and yield like 1000 runes each.

Mind spoiling a map spot?

Anyone has a decent rune farming spot to level up a bunch?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As cool as he tried to convince people he was, Vegetable Samurai would never be as popular with the kids as Fruit Ninja

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Kin posted:

After trudging my way through things to get the Pizza Cutter and a bit of grinding i now feel better placed to take on the game.

I'm about level 50 now so much of the starting areas are pretty straightforward at the minute (and fun to explore).

What's the attribute to level up to increase physical resistance to damage? Is it strength or something?

With the Pizza Cutter my weight is pretty high so any cool and strong armour I put on tips me into the heavy category and I can't dodge for poo poo.

Short of pumping a ton of levels into endurance is there any way to overcome that? Or is the gist that you're supposed to be either nimble and fragile or slow and tanklike?

Also is that boulder cliff thing still the best way to grind runes? It's easy enough and all but still feels pretty slow when you need 10k runes a level.

Armor has weight, weapons have weight, and the wequipped weight is shown on the right of the equipment screen.

There is a button for "explanation" once you're on the status screen that will answer half of this, use the same button on the weapon in the inventory screen and it'll answer the damage thing.

You shouldn't need to farm runes unless you're just trying to get a level or two for a certain weapon. If you're farming runes on your first time through the game you're missing the point of having a gigantic map to explore.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone have an idea why I've got some permanent lower hp status effect? I'm in stormveil castle and I've had it for a while. Removing all my equipment doesn't seem to get rid of it. Is this what rune arcs are for?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Jose posted:

Anyone have an idea why I've got some permanent lower hp status effect? I'm in stormveil castle and I've had it for a while. Removing all my equipment doesn't seem to get rid of it. Is this what rune arcs are for?

Did you have a nice hug? I'm fairly certain as long as you don't use the buff it gives you you'll have a very slight health debuff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Jose posted:

Did you get a hug from the lady at the Hold? That gives you a Boon you can pop for a temp Poise buff, but debuffs your HP until you use it and rest at a grace.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Jose posted:

Pay attention next time you hug someone

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Go to the third church of marika, run into the little pond behind it and hop into the teleporter. You'll wind up at a beast church place. Run outside, hop on your horse and sprint between the legs of a giant gargoyle; go all the way down until you find a bridge with a dragon and there's another grace you can rest at. There's a few little dudes to the left of that grace and a few up the path near a glowing tree.

Personally my favorite way to get runes is the same as souls in any other game: drop your sign down near a busy boss and just chill, gets you a bunch of rune arcs too. Depending on your level Margit or Godrick are probably good choices.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol cheers

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Guillermus posted:

Google Beastial Sanctum and how to get there

10,000-20,000 runes per field trip outside of the sanctum

Practice backstabbing because if you gently caress up once there’s a good chance you’ll die in 5 seconds

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://youtu.be/djcqDmik_c0

Fighting things on horseback with melee is extremely satisfying in this game

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

satanic splash-back posted:

Armor has weight, weapons have weight, and the wequipped weight is shown on the right of the equipment screen.

There is a button for "explanation" once you're on the status screen that will answer half of this, use the same button on the weapon in the inventory screen and it'll answer the damage thing.

You shouldn't need to farm runes unless you're just trying to get a level or two for a certain weapon. If you're farming runes on your first time through the game you're missing the point of having a gigantic map to explore.

Did putting on your "you should play the game my way" Fun Police hat make you think I didn't know items had weight?

I'm looking for semi advanced ways to look cool, be tanky and still roll about like a loon.

quote="Steve Yun" post="521858302"]
Google Beastial Sanctum and how to get there

10,000-20,000 runes per field trip outside of the sanctum

Practice backstabbing because if you gently caress up once there’s a good chance you’ll die in 5 seconds
[/quote]

I'm phone posting at the minute so don't have the video handy but the boulder trap exploit is a bit faster than that. You get 1950 runes every time it triggers and you can warp and respawn the trigger in about 30 seconds.

I found that with those little dudes it was taking me about a minute to do the sneak, backstab, heavy attack to get a kill then another 30 seconds or so to find the next one.

Kin fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 3, 2022

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Guillermus posted:

To the west of Impassable Greatbridge site theres packs of soldiers fighting T-Rex dobermans. They will ignore you and is a summon area. So you can summon whatever distract a lot or kill a lot, then farm each group. Since is a high level area the whole pack is around 4000 runes, maybe more. They will also drop items.
Since the combat has some modicum of challenge (is not zero) you are still training and don't feel like cheating.

Yesterday I made 2 or 3 levels there. I really need more vitality, my vitality bar is shortist.

Have you meet that giant sleeping dragon on the red curse land? you can poke his tail until it dies (it takes around 10 minutes to kill it) and give 100.000 runes, enough for some people to gain 10 levels, 3 for others.

Theres a mob in the entrance to the Monk Beast that is very challenging but gives 80.000 runes per kill (it respawns).

EDIT:
Coop may be a good way to make runes fast, but if you depend on randomns is more hit than miss. Still the hits can be 5000 per boss kills and is real training to down a boss. Instead of learning a boss by yourself alone, losing runes, you could do the same while making runes. Is too random and unrealiable, but better way if you enjoy coop and you are level 55-ish.
My favorite coop place is the swamp. It put you in places like the cristaline mines that I already know by hand and could oneshot the trash mobs If I time well my attacks. The cristaline boss is a pushover, many times I have seen his health evaporate before my eyes... many groups wipe before it, never on it.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 3, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Pretty sure I beat Commander O’Neill way earlier than I was supposed to after figuring out you can win by never attacking him and just leading him into scarlet rot gushers. You’d think he’d be immune based on his move set.

More bosses need cool environmental strategies.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Don't know if this is in the OP, but exhaust all dialog from everyone. There are so many quest chains I've missed just because I didn't mash the Talk option. D showed up for a couple of visits then permanently hosed off so that's an entire chain I'll never see until a replay happens.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Where do you get more spells for astrologer

There's ruins along the road to Stormveil from the beginning of the game that have a big flower in them. Your horse can double-jump to get over walls. Combine those two. Also don't worry too much about those spells, since you'll be using Pebble for a looooong time. Do exhaust the NPC dialog, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mailer posted:

Don't know if this is in the OP, but exhaust all dialog from everyone. There are so many quest chains I've missed just because I didn't mash the Talk option. D showed up for a couple of visits then permanently hosed off so that's an entire chain I'll never see until a replay happens.

I'd say this game feels worse than dark souls 2, but not as bad as dark souls 3, for the sheer amount of baffling "what the gently caress is going on" moments when it comes to NPCs and their quest chains. Things just keep happening. I've outright stopped chasing the big bosses for now because I'm afraid of breaking more quest chains. But god help me if I walk into the wrong fancy shack, I go back to the round table and suddenly everyone's either talking about leaving, or already left without saying anything while half the NPC quests just seem to stop dead for no reason without any resolution or actual end state. I look forward to doing a second playthrough with a new character in a few months time when things are a bit more understood.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hey I found for item needed at Carian Study Hall and it inverted the tower? Sick. Now I can get to the top? Let’s go!

Wait…. Is that… NO! NO!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I'd say this game feels worse than dark souls 2, but not as bad as dark souls 3, for the sheer amount of baffling "what the gently caress is going on" moments when it comes to NPCs and their quest chains. Things just keep happening. I've outright stopped chasing the big bosses for now because I'm afraid of breaking more quest chains. But god help me if I walk into the wrong fancy shack, I go back to the round table and suddenly everyone's either talking about leaving, or already left without saying anything while half the NPC quests just seem to stop dead for no reason without any resolution or actual end state. I look forward to doing a second playthrough with a new character in a few months time when things are a bit more understood.

It would not surprise me if the endgame boss in Elden Ring summons Dragons Dogma "Fournival"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have 21 hours now and for 20 hours I have been using all the exact same equipment. Nothing I find does more damage than my basic sword that I have strengthened up to +5 now. I have several Ashes of War but they all do worse damage than the same sword skill I have been using for those 20 hours. Anyone else having similar experiences?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

blue squares posted:

I have 21 hours now and for 20 hours I have been using all the exact same equipment. Nothing I find does more damage than my basic sword that I have strengthened up to +5 now. I have several Ashes of War but they all do worse damage than the same sword skill I have been using for those 20 hours. Anyone else having similar experiences?

I think everyone.

One thing ashes of war do for you is change the allegiance of the weapon, from a barbarian weapon into a weapon that scale with faith or int, that a mage would use. If you build a STR / VIT character, you may not find that useful for you.

Equipment depends on discovery (luck) that depends on arcane. If your character have a low arcane rate, and have killed few enemies, and all the enemies where from a single area, you would not have discovered a wide range of weapons and tools. That do exist, but require exploring and killing enemies in different areas.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So I saw Renalla summon a Spirit Ash Dragon... can I get one of my own later?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the farming tips. I just want a few levels to be able to 1 hand a big hammer to hammer stuff up :buddy:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

blue squares posted:

You can pretty much pick whatever weapon you like the most for moveset and use your ashes of war to give it the special attack and scaling you want (these are separate choices btw, you can change the ash and keep your nice damage scaling), and give it the +s to take it to the endgame. Most weapons you come across won't outdamage a +5 when unupgraded unless they're special or boss weapons. You can unlock the ability to buy unlimited first and second tier upgrade stones even before beating the first boss afaik, so if you find something cool, as long as you have the stats to use it you can change its scaling to fit your stats, give it your favourite special attack and + it up to speed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every time I get my Endurance where I want it to medium roll with the armor and weapons I want I go ahead and find and even cooler and heavier armor set.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

You can pretty much pick whatever weapon you like the most for moveset and use your ashes of war to give it the special attack and scaling you want (these are separate choices btw, you can change the ash and keep your nice damage scaling), and give it the +s to take it to the endgame. Most weapons you come across won't outdamage a +5 when unupgraded unless they're special or boss weapons. You can unlock the ability to buy unlimited first and second tier upgrade stones even before beating the first boss afaik, so if you find something cool, as long as you have the stats to use it you can change its scaling to fit your stats, give it your favourite special attack and + it up to speed.

Thanks. My special attack isn’t an Ash sadly, so it won’t transfer, but otherwise good suggestions!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kin posted:

I'm phone posting at the minute so don't have the video handy but the boulder trap exploit is a bit faster than that. You get 1950 runes every time it triggers and you can warp and respawn the trigger in about 30 seconds.

I found that with those little dudes it was taking me about a minute to do the sneak, backstab, heavy attack to get a kill then another 30 seconds or so to find the next one.

if it helps, there are two groups of four of the little guys, one of them to the northeast of the grace and another south and downhill a ways from the first group. also use your horse any time you aren't actively mid-combat

of course if you can't one-shot them on a crit then that might make all the difference

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if it helps, there are two groups of four of the little guys, one of them to the northeast of the grace and another south and downhill a ways from the first group. also use your horse any time you aren't actively mid-combat

of course if you can't one-shot them on a crit then that might make all the difference

Boulder spot at night is faster than the little guys even if you can 1 shot them. It’s a lot more repetitive but if you get lucky with the rare boulders it’s even better.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Spoiler question for a tower in Liurna: The tower with Preceptor Miriam in it. I'm guessing I need to find a thingy to put on the pedestal at the entrance to... reverse gravity? Am I on the right track here? I can see a button on the spiral staircase hanging from the ceiling, but crossbow bolts don't trigger it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
It's letting me invade the starting area at level 40ish and my experience has been either they're obviously super new and I give them a good fight (and usually let them win on the sly so they get that "gently caress yeah" feeling and stick with it) or they don't fight at all and just stare at me and then I feel bad and warp out lol

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

It's letting me invade the starting area at level 40ish and my experience has been either they're obviously super new and I give them a good fight (and usually let them win on the sly so they get that "gently caress yeah" feeling and stick with it) or they don't fight at all and just stare at me and then I feel bad and warp out lol

Sad that there isn't a ladder dense starting area so I can annoy newbies by blocking them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Weapons that use “somber” upgrade path are actually incredibly easy to upgrade!! One stone each per level and I think they cap at like +5 or something, wayyy earlier. I also found a guy that sells the upgrade materials so it feels like I’m gonna be able to cap somber weapons before anything else.

Unfortunately my somber frost rapier is just a worse moveset than the standard rapier that let’s you put arts on it. I did try dual wielding them for a bit which is very cool and very impractical

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I can’t fast travel out of this Ainsley River place!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So do Ashes overwrite or modify stat scaling? If I'm carrying a Dex weapon and put a Int Ash, does the weapon become 100% Int scale or does it lower one and increase other?