Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I once heard a Jeremey Vine phone in "debate" of "centigrade vs Fahrenheit" and let me tell you it was a treat. Someone phoned in to say "actually of course we should use Kelvin" and united the other two "experts" in rage.

That was years ago so I can only assume he has now fully internalised his "I'm just asking questions!" shtick and is essentially an ambulatory headline.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Improvised head protection from the Egyptian revolution:

At least two of these are available in Elden Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rest? Don't threaten me with a revival.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

who was their "key partner"?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Improvised head protection from the Egyptian revolution:

Middle left is one hell of a look.

jiggerypokery posted:

Channel 5.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Forget a global plague that kills millions, or Russia engaging in a war of aggresssion that threatens to escalate into nuclear conflict - this is the real harbinger of the end times. I'm building my bunker now.

jiggerypokery posted:

Channel 5.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I feel like I should throw a viewing party for the last episode. The show might have been utter crap but it brought some of the most beautiful women in the world to global fame, including both Kylie and Natalie Imbruglia, so I'm tipping my hat respectfully from a distance

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Feel like it was fairly well known that Neighbours was only hanging on because of its UK viewing audience and was well past the cancellation threshold in its home country, so not too surprised.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'd mentioned I might arrange a London meet this Saturday - going to delay that a couple of weeks because of a clash with something my wife wants me to attend with her. Just so nobody's turning up on their tod expecting me there!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So Home And Away will now take it's place as the premier Aussie soap?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like I should throw a viewing party for the last episode. The show might have been utter crap but it brought some of the most beautiful women in the world to global fame, including both Kylie and Natalie Imbruglia, so I'm tipping my hat respectfully from a distance

I wouldn't be the man I am today if people weren't sharing blurry jpegs of that bit in the Holly Valance Kiss Kiss video in school. Formative.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I once heard a Jeremey Vine phone in "debate" of "centigrade vs Fahrenheit" and let me tell you it was a treat. Someone phoned in to say "actually of course we should use Kelvin" and united the other two "experts" in rage.
I think a lot of it is just unfamiliarity and degrees of precision putting people off.

"It's 60 degrees out" sounds more casual than "it's 16 celsigrades" which sounds more casual than "it's 289.15K". But if the Kelvin value was just rounded to 290 then that'd be fine for most people. You'd never need to go below zero and the Express could have a lot of fun with it for a while.

jiggerypokery posted:

Putin.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

or even Tubby Issacs' Jellied Eels

A quick Google suggests that if we have this to worry about then the French have mastered (heh) TARDIS technology.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Today I learned Margot Robbie did over 300 episodes of Neighbours and she's like the most famous actress right now.

So good for her.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Pablo Bluth posted:

So Home And Away will now take it's place as the premier Aussie soap?

Yes. It's apparently quite popular still from what I hear.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

stev posted:

I wouldn't be the man I am today if people weren't sharing blurry jpegs of that bit in the Holly Valance Kiss Kiss video in school. Formative.
Alas she married into a British billionaire property developer family, so she's dead to me now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

A quick Google suggests that if we have this to worry about then the French have mastered (heh) TARDIS technology.

Like all cockneys it lives on in Clacton (his granddaughter and her family have a cafe out there that does still sell jellied eels)

TBH I was baffled about how long the stall stayed in business - I don't think I ever saw anyone actually buying anything there. There was definitely a potential for a sitcom in the dynamic with the Turkish bloke who owned the burger van opposite though, and it's possible Ms. Isaacs kept the stall open just to spite him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

I'd mentioned I might arrange a London meet this Saturday - going to delay that a couple of weeks because of a clash with something my wife wants me to attend with her. Just so nobody's turning up on their tod expecting me there!

Glad I wasn't coming then. :)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Neighbours chat:

Russell Crowe also got going via that show.

It was my dad's favourite show for years. (No connection to Russell Crowe!)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I've just found an insanely detailed Neighbours website with full scene by scene episode guide for every season, and surpsingly active fan forum. So that's how I will be skiving from work today.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

keep punching joe posted:

Today I learned Margot Robbie did over 300 episodes of Neighbours and she's like the most famous actress right now.

So good for her.

Basically every Aussie actor you name did either Neighbours or Home And Away. It's like Australian Actor National Service.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

I've just found an insanely detailed Neighbours website with full scene by scene episode guide for every season, and surpsingly active fan forum. So that's how I will be skiving from work today.

You can't leave us hanging! Share the link.

I fancied Annaliese like mad when I was about 15. No idea what happend to her after Neighbours.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Basically every Aussie actor you name did either Neighbours or Home And Away. It's like Australian Actor National Service.

Exactly the same in Aotearoa. Every New Zealand actor ever has been in Shortland Street.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've been playing through Disco Elysium after peeps in this thread heartily recommended. Quite a way in, still just blundering through, such is life. I did manage to fail a massively important (yet seemingly inconsequential) check X-Com stylee though so well done me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Marmaduke! posted:

I've been playing through Disco Elysium after peeps in this thread heartily recommended. Quite a way in, still just blundering through, such is life. I did manage to fail a massively important (yet seemingly inconsequential) check X-Com stylee though so well done me.

It happens, DE does encourage letting the chips fall as they may, and there's a lot of stuff actually behind failing checks. For some, failure is a better result than success.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Those American candy stores are in Private Eye this week:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gambrinus posted:

Exactly the same in Aotearoa. Every New Zealand actor ever has been in Shortland Street.

And a lot of them in Xena Warrior Princess including Karl Urban and Bruce Campbell who I've seen in a few films in the past few years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New idea for national service to appease the gammons without the massive inconvenience of actual national service:
All school leavers spend a year acting in a national performance of It Ain't Half Allo Dad's Heroes making poo poo jokes about a fictional war that's still going on in order to Good Bye Lenin the boomers.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Biggus Dickus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just outright fraud as well - you could apply for a maximum of 25% of previous years turnover, which if those businesses weren't trading would be 0.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gambrinus posted:

You can't leave us hanging! Share the link.

I fancied Annaliese like mad when I was about 15. No idea what happend to her after Neighbours.

Enjoy yourself

http://www.neighboursepisodes.com/

Still can't believe the problematic age gap marriage between Annalise and Lou.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

So good for her.

So much for the great UK-Australia trade agreement, smdh that we can't even keep Neighbours going after Brexit.

They should end the show with either a) it was all a kangaroo's dream or b) getting nuked by Putin or similar.

I'd also settle for Harold/Carl goes postal if either of them is still alive.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Enjoy yourself

http://www.neighboursepisodes.com/

Still can't believe the problematic age gap marriage between Annalise and Lou.
Brilliant. That's this afternoon sorted out.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Neighbours was the backdrop to my childhood, and although I haven't watching it in 15 years+ i'm sad it's gone.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Biggus Dickus posted:

I was in the Cardiff store last week! I thought it was an odd setup: the store's in a prime location directly opposite Cardiff Castle but was almost empty and the stuff on sale was hugely overpriced - a medium sized bag of chocolate coated pretzels was £11 ffs. Couldn't believe there'd be enough tourists who'd pay those sort of prices.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

So much for the great UK-Australia trade agreement, smdh that we can't even keep Neighbours going after Brexit.

They should end the show with either a) it was all a kangaroo's dream or b) getting nuked by Putin or similar.

I'd also settle for Harold/Carl goes postal if either of them is still alive.

Karl, please, as any true Neighbours-enjoyer knows.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Also, the dnd war thread has probed Ronya, another casualty of this meaningless conflict :rip:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What for?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

Also, the dnd war thread has probed Ronya, another casualty of this meaningless conflict :rip:

The first casualty of war is innocence. I will now spend 1000 words explaining why.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

He went down like a champ pulling receipts on some guy's dickhead posts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to cheer on the proxy war frankly I don't think you should be complaining when our most terrible weapons are unleashed indiscriminately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I was in the Cardiff store last week! I thought it was an odd setup: the store's in a prime location directly opposite Cardiff Castle but was almost empty and the stuff on sale was hugely overpriced - a medium sized bag of chocolate coated pretzels was £11 ffs. Couldn't believe there'd be enough tourists who'd pay those sort of prices.

I suspect there is more involved than just the fraudulent loans; the terms of commercial premises leases are typically designed to extract all the value from a small business, leaving the proprietor feeling lucky to pull a shop assistant’s salary. That fails if all the business’s fail and the shops end up empty. So you sometimes need someone to ‘squat’ a premises and pretend to pay rent.

Such a business needs low overheads and not to continually be restocking. Long shelf-life goods at high prices work set for this:. Presumably every so often someone does buy something, and then that’s pure windfall profit.