Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah that's a good point. Was willpower there at launch? I don't remember it. I did however roll a willpower tank and the way it combines defence, resist, and regen is pretty tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah that's a good point. Was willpower there at launch? I don't remember it. I did however roll a willpower tank and the way it combines defence, resist, and regen is pretty tight.

No, /WP came with I11, along with Dual Blades.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
My armchair game designer brain desperately wants there to be a small, continuously replenishing absorb shield power (like a couple blaster secondaries have, but ideally at a faster tick rate) added somewhere to regen as a way to offset a flat X DPS without being yet another healing power that allows you to fully recover after losing health. My pick would probably be instant healing for thematic reasons: tweak the current regen down a tiny bit, add the continuous absorb, and maybe reduce the recharge. As a bonus, it uses the same enhancement types that everybody currently needs.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah some kind of absorb would probably make regen sturdier without really changing what the set is about.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Absorb is definitely a mechanic that would make a lot of sense for regen and probably make it a lot more competitive with newer defensive sets. Although absorb was added to the game very late, like right before the shutdown, so they didn't really have a chance to go back and do a revamp of regen to make use of it.

The issue regen tends to have is that it really just does one thing, and while it does that one thing very well, it's a very binary sort of defense. Either you have way more healing than you need and you're functionally immortal, or you don't have enough and you just die because there's nothing to fall back on.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
FWIW I do think regen's t9 is underrated, it's now a "fast" recharging like 7 second "i'm unfuckwithable" that you can use to spot check alpha strikes, big AV hits, etc. It's cool and unique, synergizes with covering regen's weaknesses, and requires a higher level of situational awareness than most other defensive things in the game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

No, /WP came with I11, along with Dual Blades.

Even though I'd played since issue 2 or so, Dual Blades/WP's launch was also the first time I actually got to 50 on a character. A big part of that was just not doing enough grouping and not understanding some of the game's systems, but I remember Willpower being a huge powerhouse that at the time pretty much invalidated /Invuln (which had been nerfed hugely before that point) and /Regen and did them better.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Funnily enough, the version of Regen that Sentinels get has an absorb power. I've heard that it's actually an okay pick for that AT in specific.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Sentinel Regen is a little bit better redesigned (same with Sentinel /SR, actually) though Sentinels still suffer from having weaker secondary set numbers than Scrappers/Stalkers/Brutes.

bbbbut then it also gets double hosed since Sents have the same HP as Blasters/Stalkers, and your actual health regenerated is a percentage that scales with your max HP value. If you were absolutely determined to play /regen, a Brute would probably see the best results since it's got the highest HP values of the available ATs. Regen Brutes can be used to tank Hamidon, though this is more of a niche case of mechanics than some ringing endorsement of the set as a whole - it's still Pretty Bad.

If you wanted to play a character who regenerates, Willpower's a nice thematically neutral regen-y pick as others have mentioned, though I think Bio Armor fulfills the absorb/regen/healing fantasy the the mechanically best even if you have to design a character around being some sort of bug or alien or slime monster.

Plus, Bio's available on Tankers, so you can do stuff like*,

*lining up all your CDs but hey, that's the fun part!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nonexistence posted:

FWIW I do think regen's t9 is underrated, it's now a "fast" recharging like 7 second "i'm unfuckwithable" that you can use to spot check alpha strikes, big AV hits, etc. It's cool and unique, synergizes with covering regen's weaknesses, and requires a higher level of situational awareness than most other defensive things in the game.

This actually leads into another problem, but not just with Regen.
If you're building for MoG you're building recharge, which means both perma-hasten and perma-Dull Pain.
But you only get one autofire. So you set that to Hasten but then have to remember to kick off DP every couple minutes manually.

There are so many sets that would be so vastly improved just by being able to set multiple autofires. If there's one thing I'd love to see in a future Homecoming update it'd be that, whatever it takes.

Regen would probably still suck though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

MA/Regen was also my first character to level cap before the nerf. Ah, Ninja Jesus, you are missed.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I know why they try to avoid it, but at this point I think most people would be okay with the Homecoming team making some pretty major changes to Regen. Maybe Invuln too.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Invuln seems fine to me as it is. What would you have them change?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Other than leadership, what are good pool powers for Defenders and Corruptors?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Seventh Arrow posted:

Other than leadership, what are good pool powers for Defenders and Corruptors?

Concealment is nice so you can make everyone invisible for harder content.

The DEF bonus is pitiful but whatevs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the alternative hide toggle they added that makes you run and jump better (Infiltration I think it's called) is very good, it's hard for me to resist taking it on pretty much any character.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

zzMisc posted:

This actually leads into another problem, but not just with Regen.
If you're building for MoG you're building recharge, which means both perma-hasten and perma-Dull Pain.
But you only get one autofire. So you set that to Hasten but then have to remember to kick off DP every couple minutes manually.

There are so many sets that would be so vastly improved just by being able to set multiple autofires. If there's one thing I'd love to see in a future Homecoming update it'd be that, whatever it takes.

They should just chop Hasten, and replace it with a passive recharge buff that everyone gets. It's like the Fitness pool; if every build needs it, why not just give it to everyone?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
If it'll get people to stop telling me to take hasten on every build then I'm all for it. I hate the yellow oven mitts.
(Yes I know you can turn that off now, that's not the point)

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Hasten is the main reason I figured out how to achieve Foreverdom on my dominator builds (which is enough recharge to keep domination on auto without hasten which is like 125%)

Honestly I wouldn't even mind if they nerfed hasten and kept it as a pool power to balance out making it a passive effect instead of having to refresh it.

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 2, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

If it'll get people to stop telling me to take hasten on every build then I'm all for it. I hate the yellow oven mitts.
(Yes I know you can turn that off now, that's not the point)

Reminds me of the Prima City of Villains strategy guide - the one that was a binder so you could buy update packs when everything inside inevitably got obsoleted (and then they didn't bother releasing those, natch) - where even on a Mastermind they recommended taking Hasten at level 6 no matter what.

I too despise the obsession with Hasten. I almost never took it on live, and I almost never take it now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm definitely on team "you don't always have to take hasten", but it is definitely a power where it just ends up being too good for too many things. Recharge is really the fundamental driver of DPS in the game - stamina was always more of a "comfort" pick, since it's pretty rare to actually go from full end to zero end in a single fight (unless there's sappers involved, anyway), but having it meant that you didn't have to keep waiting for it all to come back between groups. Hasten, meanwhile, just flat out makes you more effective at everything because you don't have any downtime during a fight waiting for your attacks to come back. It's the reason why animation length became such an important balancing factor when it came to a set's damage output, because between hasten, recharge buffs from team members with support sets, and all the recharge you can get from IO set bonuses, the amount of time you spent rooted doing a single attack's animation became a more significant limiter on how quickly you could attack than actually waiting for your cooldowns to finish. Not to mention how huge of a difference recharge buffs make to longer cooldown powers and the impact that has on ratio of uptime/downtime on buffs.

I don't know if there really is any way to "fix" it though, recharge being extremely good is kind of fundamental to the way the game works, and simply removing (or even just nerfing) hasten would break a lot of builds and be a bigger shakeup to the game balance than making the fitness pool inherent was (since all that ultimately did was just give you three extra free power selections, game-changing for some but for most builds it just let you pick up a few more "nice to have" powers). The fact that it has that much impact is a pretty good indicator that it's way too powerful but it's also the sort of thing where it's so baked into the game at this point that if the Homecoming team did decide to change it, it could legitimately fork the community.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

These posts also remind me that the standard design formulas for balancing damage/recharge/endurance literally do not factor in cast/animation times at all and I just think that's really wonderful. :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I too am in the group that doesn't want to take hasten if I don't have to. It's one of those things that really seems to warp the meta to the point where it seems something needs to be done.

Personally I feel they could get rid of it altogether. Just buff the recharge on certain powers and let people put recharge ehancements in their powers to a point where they can have perma dom or whatever power they like.

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014

Bakalakadaka posted:

Hasten is the main reason I figured out how to achieve Foreverdom on my dominator builds (which is enough recharge to keep domination on auto without hasten which is like 125%)

Honestly I wouldn't even mind if they nerfed hasten and kept it as a pool power to balance out making it a passive effect instead of having to refresh it.

They actually did nerf Hasten. The changes that have been made to how procs activate have made Hasten unnecessary for a lot of classes and builds. The more recharge you put in a build the less likely procs will activate, so now a lot of elite tier builds eschew recharge bonuses completely.

The only AT it's absolutely necessary are Dominators.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

That's incorrect, procs only get a reduced chance to fire based on slotted recharge (enhancements & alpha slot). Hasten provides global recharge, same as set bonuses, Speed Boost, Ageless, Accelerate Metabolism, etc.

The very very first draft of the PPM system in i24 had all recharge impact proc rates, but it was changed so other players couldn't hurt your damage output by buffing you.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I am vengeance. I am the night. I haven't thought this through very carefully!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Potsticker posted:

Personally I feel they could get rid of it altogether. Just buff the recharge on certain powers and let people put recharge ehancements in their powers to a point where they can have perma dom or whatever power they like.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Hasten buffs recharge by 70%. Outside of itself and its slotting, it requires about another 200% in recharge bonuses to be 'perma'. So 200% in bonuses yields 270% total for a 35% increase. Less than 200% in bonuses, you're getting somewhere less than 270% total, proportional to how much hasten is up vs down.

So, get rid of hasten entirely. Then, increase all recharge bonuses from powers and sets by 35% to compensate. Boom, everybody gets that power slot back, players don't have to do anything, existing builds can stay pretty much the same.

Edit: My math is off, because I was looking at Mids numbers without realizing it shows a base 100%. So to mimic Hasten it'd have to be more like 70/105 for a whopping 67% increase to all recharge bonuses.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 3, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Seventh Arrow posted:

I am vengeance. I am the night. I haven't thought this through very carefully!

:allears:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So this is my claws/SR scrapper at 38 so far. I have a lot of toggles, so I will need to put endurance reducers in those I think.

I know I probably don't need to use named enhancements until 50, but I wanted to give it a try. The Scirocco's Dervish has made a pretty big improvement on Spin.

http://www.vaughn-s.net/CoH/Razorslice%20-%20Scrapper%20(Claws).mxd

Some other thoughts: the claws/SR combo is pretty clunky in terms of flow and combat feel. The scrapper has to re-"snikt" for a lot of things, which breaks up the flow; and the Practiced Brawler animation interrupts everything in a "feels bad" kind of way. Other powerset have anti-mez powers without that kind of flow-breaking nonsense.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Some other thoughts: the claws/SR combo is pretty clunky in terms of flow and combat feel. The scrapper has to re-"snikt" for a lot of things, which breaks up the flow

I played claws/sr on live and this was always a pet peeve

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I played claws/sr on live and this was always a pet peeve

I did claws/sr on Homecoming and had a fantastic time. That was a character who grouped a lot, though with the goon rush soon after it went public so I didn't have too much opportunity for solo stuff, but even duo-ing with a peacebringer I felt it played extremely well.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Practiced Brawler works like a break free now, so you don't have to put it on auto fire. You can just ignore it until you get mezzed and hit it then.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Unless you die from your toggles suppressing in the however-many seconds pass between you getting mezzed, noticing you got mezzed, and hitting Practiced Brawler.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Check your power customization screen and see if you can set all of your Claws attacks to No Redraw. That'll make it so any time an attack would trigger the snikt it'll just skip right into the actual animation instead. It'll look a bit weird but hey, no more interruptions.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DEKH posted:

They actually did nerf Hasten. The changes that have been made to how procs activate have made Hasten unnecessary for a lot of classes and builds. The more recharge you put in a build the less likely procs will activate, so now a lot of elite tier builds eschew recharge bonuses completely.

When did that happen? Feels like nearly every build I’ve seen had recharge out the wazoo

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tabletops posted:

When did that happen? Feels like nearly every build I’ve seen had recharge out the wazoo

A little after launch. Hasten not only cost no end, but it buffed your defense as well.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

DEKH posted:

That's not quite how it works. It is correct that slotting in Recharge will lower the proc rate of a power. However, global recharge bonuses, including Hasten and Luck of the Gambler (but not including the alpha incarnate slot), don't affect the chance of procs - if anything, Hasten is even more powerful when you start getting into proc shenanigan's, because you want global recharge bonuses to let your proced out attacks recharge faster.

E: agghh I missed the post above me.

but Here's a guide to how procs work.

There's probably no good way to nerf hasten at this point that wouldn't break just a ton of builds, and making it into a passive benefit everyone gets would probably be too much power creep since now top end builds no longer need to worry about hitting perma hasten or the END crash it has every so often.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 9, 2022

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I don't really care about fire farming for the most part. I like the game's content and don't worry in the least that it may take all of my alts a long time to hit 50

BUT

I nevertheless would like one fire farmer to keep my army of alts stocked with cool IO enhancements. I have a Rad/ Fire Brute and have read guides, but am not sure of the best way to rocket the dude to 50. I've heard that stocking up on XP boosters and finding someone to let me sit in on a farming session is best but I really have no idea

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Seventh Arrow posted:

So I don't really care about fire farming for the most part. I like the game's content and don't worry in the least that it may take all of my alts a long time to hit 50

BUT

I nevertheless would like one fire farmer to keep my army of alts stocked with cool IO enhancements. I have a Rad/ Fire Brute and have read guides, but am not sure of the best way to rocket the dude to 50. I've heard that stocking up on XP boosters and finding someone to let me sit in on a farming session is best but I really have no idea

I did fine just running the farming maps to level as well. You won't start at +4/x8, but it doesn't take very long to get up to +0/x8. Stick with the double xp boost for a while, the amount of inf that drops early on isn't worth the slower levelling, plus you still get a shot at IO set drops. Something I found useful is to disable every inspiration drop except defense and damage. Hitting the 90% fire resist cap is hilariously easy, but defense is tougher to get until you have enough to stack a few sets, so the inspirations fill in those holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Bybus Slago posted:

I did fine just running the farming maps to level as well. You won't start at +4/x8, but it doesn't take very long to get up to +0/x8. Stick with the double xp boost for a while, the amount of inf that drops early on isn't worth the slower levelling, plus you still get a shot at IO set drops. Something I found useful is to disable every inspiration drop except defense and damage. Hitting the 90% fire resist cap is hilariously easy, but defense is tougher to get until you have enough to stack a few sets, so the inspirations fill in those holes.

I'm not sure I understand. You started farming at level 1?