Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Vaginaface posted:

This kind of thing has been said repeatedly, and among the Belarusian (uh, revolution? Truthers? The white-red-white flag people) there were claims that Russian troops were going to dress up as Ukrainians and attack Belarusians to drag them into the war. Has any of that kind of thing happened, or is this all sensationalism?

Not as far as I know, but it's a time honored tradition to do that kind of stuff.

Wikipedia posted:

On 26 November 1939, an incident was reported near the Soviet village of Mainila, close to the border with Finland. A Soviet border guard post had been shelled by an unknown party resulting, according to Soviet reports, in the deaths of four and injuries of nine border guards. Research conducted by several Finnish and Russian historians later concluded that the shelling was a false flag operation, because there were no artillery units placed there at the time, and it was carried out from the Soviet side of the border by an NKVD unit with the purpose of providing the Soviet Union with a casus belli and a pretext to withdraw from the non-aggression pact.

And those false flags with proper propaganda machine can run deep. There are still some loony fucks that believe Poland attacked 3rd Reich due to Germans using the same bs tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

The BBC News is reporting on a conversation that happened today between Macron and Putin.

"Russian President Vladimir Putin has told his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron that the goals of Russia's operation in Ukraine - its demilitarisation and neutral status - will be achieved, the Kremlin has said.

The pair shared a 90 minute call earlier on Thursday.

Putin said that any attempts by Kyiv to delay negotiations would result in Moscow adding to its list of demands."

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Sashimi posted:

I've been keeping myself out of the loop for around the past 24h so I don't go mad from news fatigue, anything big happen in that time?

The Ukrainians have counter attacked NW of Kiev and made an advance. They still have an air force and are still attacking Russian columns.

The city on the Sea of Azov (Mailkov?) is probably surrounded now.

The thread moderator should be removed, but so far no action has been taken.

Russian Naval ships have sunk an Estonian owned (flag of convenience) ship near Odessa, but no reported landings as yet.

Video by Russian soldiers confirming they have been stuck in Ukraine for 3 days with no food or shelter and are being ordered to sign *backdated* resignation papers before they can go home.

The Chief of staff of the 4th Russian army has been killed. That was a General.

Kiev has got a supply of food in.

An entire Russian tank company (2+ platoons) surrendered and said they hadn't got food for 3 days.

Kiev has been hit by Themobararic(sorry spelling) rockets that have destroyed entire apartment buildings.

The UN estimates 4 million refugees will flee the country in the next few months.

7000+ Russians have been arrested for protesting the war. Including children who will be taken away from their parents for laying a flower.

Several posters were threatened with probates after discussing war crimes. Several more ARE probated after responding to someone else who took a lot longer to get a 24 hour ban.

Putin is still a monster.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 3, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Confirmation on counterattacks from the ground in Kyiv

Honestly I don't think this can change the course of the war (Russia is still winning), but in the long run it will matter so much to keeping Ukrainian nationhood alive that the story of this war is that they managed to throw and land some punches that hurt rather than one of an endless string of hopeless defensive actions.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 3, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

StarBegotten posted:

The BBC News is reporting on a conversation that happened today between Macron and Putin.

"Russian President Vladimir Putin has told his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron that the goals of Russia's operation in Ukraine - its demilitarisation and neutral status - will be achieved, the Kremlin has said.

Putin said that any attempts by Kyiv to delay negotiations would result in Moscow adding to its list of demands."

Macron reportedly spoke to Zelenksy right after, and negotiations are happening right now in Belarus as per even the Russian government

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1499386689713840128?t=TtndG1VR9mYzyNLPkdoKzA&s=19

Weird how you didn't link anything

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alchenar posted:

Honestly I don't think this is can change the course of the war (Russia is still winning),

It isn't really clear right now that they are. They have advanced, and they're on track to capture some southern areas, but the northern advance seems to have stalled, they're taking heavy losses especially for a modern army, and overall the eventual long term result remains in significant doubt. There is a potential future here where Russia absolutely breaks itself on Ukrainian resistance.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Task & Purpose released their third episodic war update. It's a good recap from a military perspective. Basically they're seeing that the Russians are setting up forward operating bases at the edge of artillery range of the major Ukrainian cities, and expect a continuation of siege tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BAZ2bBUzM

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 3, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KitConstantine posted:

Macron reportedly spoke to Zelenksy right after, and negotiations are happening right now in Belarus as per even the Russian government

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1499386689713840128?t=TtndG1VR9mYzyNLPkdoKzA&s=19

Weird how you didn't link anything

Restore Peace in Donbass? Nowhere else?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Did the US change its casualty estimate? Pretty sure yesterday they were saying 1500-2000 Russian soldiers KIA. Today it says 6k KIA

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Restore Peace in Donbass? Nowhere else?
Well their special operation to protect russians is focused on Donbass didn't you know. There's nothing else going on in the rest of Ukraine, especially nothing violent and warlike that would require peace.
:thunk:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

BigglesSWE posted:

In latest HOI4 expansion there’s a literal “send in forged production reports to make Stalin a teeny bit less crazy for awhile” button so yeah, long Russian tradition.

This was a plot point in Tom Clancy's (co-written by Harold Coyle) Red Storm Rising. The Soviets in the novel prosecute a dozen supply chiefs and commanders pre-war to shape everyone else up before they ship them off to West Germany. This makes things work much smoother during the invasion.

So yes, Tom Clancy would not have written a story of such Russian incompetence as been happening in real life.

Though maybe not doing anything about it with the 1 weeks or so planning they DID do might have lulled some people into a false sense of confidence that Putin was never going to invade.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ukraine is moving to take back Kherson

https://twitter.com/Andy_Scollick/status/1499381706276716549?t=19dyMicwzeLne1zuxirCoA&s=19

So Russians are reportedly mining the buildings.
https://twitter.com/vorobyov/status/1499379823180976130?t=FGGTe2Vrxma1AmZJ9wdjYw&s=19

Also the Ukrainians are having to clean up dead bodies of Russian soldiers that are left behind by their own military. I've also seen videos of mass graves, which I will not be posting thank you.
https://twitter.com/vorobyov/status/1499324510662807553?t=iyCC1ikACU-p51s_trOW2Q&s=19

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Honestly I don't think this can change the course of the war (Russia is still winning), but in the long run it will matter so much to keeping Ukrainian nationhood alive that the story of this war is that they managed to throw and land some punches that hurt rather than one of an endless string of hopeless defensive actions.

I think it's wrong to see this only isolated to the military war happening in Ukraine. A big military disaster in Ukraine, even if it doesn't mean a literal rout with fleeing troops, plus the pressure of sanctions and isolation, means there is pressure on Putin's hold on power from all sides, the oligarchs, the military, the people. I suspect he thinks he only needs to win enough to end up in a good position to bargain from, but he grim surprise for him will hopefully be that he is still isolated from the world. Otherwise it's just another press on the snooze button IMO. This only ends properly with Putin ousted from power. He has many ways out if he wants, just pick a window!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Imagine thinking after the last 20 years happened that winning the conventional ground invasion means you're winning the war lol

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

StarBegotten posted:

What can you add to a list of demands that includes total capitulation and submission?

Do you want to kick Zelensky with a real big boot before you execute him in a gulag? Insist the babushkas unhex your soldiers?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kaal posted:

Task & Purpose released their third episodic war update. It's a good recap from a military perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BAZ2bBUzM

I guess i should pay attention to this guy, he's wearing combat armor while speaking so obviously he knows what he's talking about

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

Imagine thinking after the last 20 years happened that winning the conventional ground invasion means you're winning the war lol

Especially when the idea of winning looks like this

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

steinrokkan posted:

Especially when the idea of winning looks like this

They're going to hit the US GWOT death toll by April or some poo poo.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

JerikTelorian posted:

What can you add to a list of demands that includes total capitulation and submission?

Do you want to kick Zelensky with a real big boot before you execute him in a gulag? Insist the babushkas unhex your soldiers?

Poland, Slovakia, Czechia, Baltics, ... :v:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

ethanol posted:

Did the US change its casualty estimate? Pretty sure yesterday they were saying 1500-2000 Russian soldiers KIA. Today it says 6k KIA

I thought I read they were saying 5000 yesterday

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Question for a superpower: should you hire your supply truck drivers for your invasion from Uzbek LinkedIn :thunk:

https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1499383489300504577?t=zdCq80ViTWsOfr5fTsUXDA&s=19

Edited for accuracy

More on this:
https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1499384800091717634?t=b8Aqd0kZuZOFDa2nPUSrXw&s=19

Fast track to citizenship! Short detour through Ukraine first but that's okay with you right??

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cimber posted:

I guess i should pay attention to this guy, he's wearing combat armor while speaking so obviously he knows what he's talking about

He also has really tiny airsoft guns.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ola posted:

This only ends properly with Putin ousted from power. He has many ways out if he wants, just pick a window!
That explains why I never see windows in pictures of his 'office'

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

JerikTelorian posted:

First on the list is fuel and spare parts so they can get moving again. Next they will start demanding food and medicine. Finally they will ask for their army back, and maybe some boots.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I believe this is outside the Nuclear power plant that civilians were blockading from a Russian tank column. It's a lot more people than pictures I saw yesterday.

https://twitter.com/EuroMaydan/status/1499391142332301314?s=20&t=5FjcnnvqAu_pQ-WRqRPpbw

I will never be as brave as every single one of these people in this photo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dwesa posted:

He's probably paranoid enough that he avoids exterior rooms with windows.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

Finland applying for Nato in any near future seems very short sighted, but our elected officials like to make panic course corrections when they feel threatened.

Russia does not have any territorial disputes with Finland and there's no way they have resources to fight prolonged wars against two big armies at the same time.

Jesus Christ.

Dugin's book "The Foundations of Geopolitics", lists a whole bunch of foreign policy objectives for Russia. When it came out, it was dismissed as total crack by everyone outside Russia, because it listed insane ideas such as breaking the UK away from the EU and invading Ukraine and Finland. Nevertheless, Putin literally placed it on the mandatory reading list for all his officers.

Now Putin has implemented or tried to implement almost everything in the book except invading Finland. And when he has foreign policy essays posted in official news channels, they drat near quote from the book.

When you say "there is no threat to Finland", you are being this guy:

Putin has communicated that he actually intends to do to Finland what he did to Ukraine using pretty drat every method he has other than outright saying it. And any "it makes no sense" opposition is idiotic precisely because invading Ukraine didn't make any more sense. The reason to invade Finland is precisely and only that we were once part of the Russian empire, and we are strategically located. There is no other reason, and Putin doesn't need any other reason.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Dwesa posted:

Hard to get windows installed when you are deep underground in the Ural Mountains

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Ukraine is moving to take back Kherson

https://twitter.com/Andy_Scollick/status/1499381706276716549?t=19dyMicwzeLne1zuxirCoA&s=19

So Russians are reportedly mining the buildings.
https://twitter.com/vorobyov/status/1499379823180976130?t=FGGTe2Vrxma1AmZJ9wdjYw&s=19

Also the Ukrainians are having to clean up dead bodies of Russian soldiers that are left behind by their own military. I've also seen videos of mass graves, which I will not be posting thank you.
https://twitter.com/vorobyov/status/1499324510662807553?t=iyCC1ikACU-p51s_trOW2Q&s=19

...They're already counter-punching in the South?

How big is this counteroffensive :stare:?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Dwesa posted:

It's quite possible that;

1) He's literally in a bunker without any windows.
or
2) He avoids windows because he's paranoid about being assassinated.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cimber posted:

I take it back, this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about and its making me ill. :(

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1499389862335578115?s=20&t=5FjcnnvqAu_pQ-WRqRPpbw

I hope in a few years we get a comedy about Ukrainian farmers who spend the whole war stealing Russian armored vehicles.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499387026440925186

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Is Putin being in a bunker just a meme or was someone seriously suggesting he might not be in the Kremlin?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

That just looks like a regular weekend at an ikea in a busy city

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

IKEA uses a lot of wood from Russian sources. I’m guessing those contracts are gone now.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Morrow posted:

It's quite possible that;

1) He's literally in a bunker without any windows.
or
2) He avoids windows because he's paranoid about being assassinated.

I mean he has been bumping off rivals himself for years, so while he is definitely paranoid I would call that particular item quite rational

Edit:

Seph posted:

Is Putin being in a bunker just a meme or was someone seriously suggesting he might not be in the Kremlin?
We'll find out more today. Putin is meeting with the Duma today, whether he's in person or not should say a lot. He has some laws to pass

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1499395105056194574?t=TpwDlSDLWAnkHYic_VZRyg&s=19

Like a death sente... I mean conscription for protestors

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 3, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Looks like a normal evening at a European Ikea? Maybe a little bit empty even

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

There's a viral post on VK claiming that that a Russian brigadier general of the VDV has died. It seems a bit unlikely that a brigadier general would be so close to the frontlines, but a big morale blow for Russia if it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499388739319119885?s=20&t=5FjcnnvqAu_pQ-WRqRPpbw

I'm surprised it took this long for Ikea to shut down.

Not really surprised about Volkswagen though.