Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn’t there a story of Patrick Stewart catching an episode of Red Dwarf and, thinking it was ripping off a TNG episode, was about to call his lawyer until he actually sat down and watched it and ended up loving it? And it turned out the TNG episode was ripping off Red Dwarf?

https://youtu.be/HKw6Z0CCNtY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn’t there a story of Patrick Stewart catching an episode of Red Dwarf and, thinking it was ripping off a TNG episode, was about to call his lawyer until he actually sat down and watched it and ended up loving it? And it turned out the TNG episode was ripping off Red Dwarf?
Two different sets:

Thanks for the Memory (RD) ripped off for Clues (TNG)

And A Fistful of Datas (directed by Patrick Stewart) and Gunmen of the Apocalypse (basically a parody of A Fistful of Datas)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you friends

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Lost it at the "dedicated to our brave mujahadeen Iraq troops" bit, did not see that particular callback coming.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rockman Reserve posted:

Local ads during the Superbowl are still in the millions of dollars - at least they are in touristy east-coast cities like the Belchers live in.

Googling says local ads in Rochester would be around 30 grand. So still off for Bob Burger but not totally outlandish.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jedit posted:

Oddly, though, the movies most like Spaceballs are the sequel trilogy. After all, Spaceballs is about what happens after you create a power vacuum.

Well played.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jedit posted:

Oddly, though, the movies most like Spaceballs are the sequel trilogy. After all, Spaceballs is about what happens after you create a power vacuum.

goddammit

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Started watching Pam and Tommy on Hulu

I feel like the show might have a tone problem

I mean the whiplash between an emotional depiction of child abuse and closeup of Tommy Lee's dick which is voiced by Jason Mantzoukas is significant

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tonal whiplash rules.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

closeup of Tommy Lee's dick which is voiced by Jason Mantzoukas is significant

Lol whaatttt

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol whaatttt

Yes it moves around and has a talking urethra animation.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Started watching Pam and Tommy on Hulu

I feel like the show might have a tone problem

I mean the whiplash between an emotional depiction of child abuse and closeup of Tommy Lee's dick which is voiced by Jason Mantzoukas is significant

ok but where does this become a problem?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Honestly was going to give it a pass until now.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
It's a great show. Bucky Barns is a great Tommy Lee. If you liked I, Tanya then this shouldn't surprise you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I am so confused right now.

Just, what?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I am so confused right now.

Just, what?

IIRC it came from a memoir that Tommy wrote where he had his penis narrating events.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Palm Springs: the waste of water

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well. Who was copying who?

Red Dwarf can be pretty funny so it probably wasn't copying Spacballs.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This is even funnier when you see the angry twitter mob getting upset about their bad movies being lightly ribbed.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ribbed, for their displeasure.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

credburn posted:

I can't stand Mel Brooks films. I never could. I'm sorry, I lied about it. Every time I said Ludicrous speed! and we all laughed, inside I just hated myself.

Watch "To Be or Not to Be" The Mel Brooks version is so much better than the original. "Spaceballs" was about the cutoff on Mel Brooks. "Men in Tights" is really pointless. It has it's moments but they're few and far between.

The 2,000 year old man was peak Mel Brooks but that was a long time ago. It's still funny to listen to.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

This is even funnier when you see the angry twitter mob getting upset about their bad movies being lightly ribbed.

Lmao people in that thread shrieking mad at jokes about a fake movie. Bananas.

IIMM: Lazy writers making every character act like a colossal dickhead to every other character for cheap drama. I tried watching some Korean space show and shut it off halfway through the first episode when all of the characters, who just met, talked nonstop poo poo directly into each others faces before getting on a spaceship to save the earth or something. No one does this why do writers think people act like this. Like yeah, you'll run into an rear end in a top hat every so often but human interaction isn't a constant Hobbesian war of all against all and it pulls me out of a story faster than just about anything else. Such a common trope and so annoying.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

IIMM for 2012: In a movie that is ruthless about killing off secondary characters (seriously, it feels like someone dies every scene change), how does the US Chief of Staff survive the film? He's relentlessly dickish about everything whenever he's in a scene, and in a movie like this that usually means you're being set up for a amusing death towards the end. However, he just kinda says "sorry" as the movie ends and that's it? Fifteen minutes earlier he was admitting to brazenly assassinating people in front of a huge crowd!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Zero_Grade posted:

IIMM for 2012: In a movie that is ruthless about killing off secondary characters (seriously, it feels like someone dies every scene change), how does the US Chief of Staff survive the film? He's relentlessly dickish about everything whenever he's in a scene, and in a movie like this that usually means you're being set up for a amusing death towards the end. However, he just kinda says "sorry" as the movie ends and that's it? Fifteen minutes earlier he was admitting to brazenly assassinating people in front of a huge crowd!

The End. No Moral

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Zero_Grade posted:

One of my favorite in-theater moments is when the lady's fiance dies horrible being crunched up between some gears or something, and not three minutes later she's making out with her ex husband. The entire theater started shouting at her, calling her hussy, throwing popcorn. I've never actually seen a theater get so involved with a movie other than at Cats.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

credburn posted:

One of my favorite in-theater moments is when the lady's fiance dies horrible being crunched up between some gears or something, and not three minutes later she's making out with her ex husband. The entire theater started shouting at her, calling her hussy, throwing popcorn. I've never actually seen a theater get so involved with a movie other than at Cats.

The finace who saves everyone's lives by piloting a plane through an insane crashing of buildings and earth, and is overall a very nice guy, but gently caress him, let's grind him up.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Disaster movie San Andreas (2015) positions the rich, new husband/fiance as a coward who panics and leaves his stepdaughter trapped in a car in the parking garage. It's no surprise that he ends up dying, so the divorced parents (The Rock and Carla Gugino) are totally free to get together again at the end of the day.

"Alongside a handful of other survivors in small boats, the two manage to cross the wave before it crests, barely avoiding a container ship caught up in the wave. The ship bisects the Golden Gate Bridge's center span in half, killing everyone on the bridge, including Daniel, who is crushed to death by a falling shipping container."

Dying like the other people on that bridge wasn't good enough, they had to throw in a container!

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Mar 3, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
And on a lesser note, poor Cary Elwes in Liar Liar.

Left in the dust for the insane lawyer ex.

e: screenwriters still bitter over childhood divorce traumas

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The guy didn't even know how to do the claw though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zero_Grade posted:

My Rational Irritating Movie Moment is that I only watched this pile of crap in the cinema because I'd seen Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs the night before and the other choice was one of the Twilight films.

I should've just watched Meatballs again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I remember about 2012 was the running gag? of every time the protags had to leave it was RIGHT IN FRONT OF A WAVE/EARTHQUAKE/FIREBALL etc.

Dunno if it was a gag or not but it did make me laugh.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only thing I remember about 2012 was the running gag? of every time the protags had to leave it was RIGHT IN FRONT OF A WAVE/EARTHQUAKE/FIREBALL etc.

Dunno if it was a gag or not but it did make me laugh.

The limo literally leaps from platform to platform as they outdrive the San Andreas fault iirc.

It's totally a gag.

Also the movie ends on a diaper joke.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

re: divorced people getting back together in family movies.

Mrs Doubtfire is a notable exception, and both Sally Field and Robin Williams had to fight the writers/producers for this. Because whilst the filmmakers wanted to have the divorced couple end up back together as a happy ending, both Mrs Field and Mr. Williams who were divorced argued that this was not realistic, and that kids need to see stuff that shows that parents don't always end up back together.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BrigadierSensible posted:

Mrs Doubtfire is a notable exception, and both Sally Field and Robin Williams had to fight the writers/producers for this. Because whilst the filmmakers wanted to have the divorced couple end up back together as a happy ending, both Mrs Field and Mr. Williams who were divorced argued that this was not realistic, and that kids need to see stuff that shows that parents don't always end up back together.

It also teaches children that a father can stalk their ex wife and children without facing any legal repercussions. :hmmyes:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

I loving hate movies where the parents are forced back together. I think the first movie I saw as a kid that did this was The Parent Trap, and I hated the movie because it was seen as so wonderful.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
At the end of Frozen 2, a big dam is broken unleashing a bunch of water that rushes down a river and almost destroys Arendelle. Fortunately, Elsa rides her magic horse and makes an ice wall just in time to save the city.

It’s established that the dam is relatively close to the edge of the enchanted forest, at least in sight of it. Elsa is some unspecified distance to the north of said dam. Earlier in the film, we see our characters traveling to the enchanted forest by a drawn cart. We don’t know exactly how far this is either, but presumably they start early in the morning (due to Elsa’s magic awakening the spirits during the previous night), and they spend at least one night on the trail.

Horse-drawn carts move at 2-4 MPH and they’re in a hurry, so let’s say they’re going 3 mph. There’s a song earlier that indicates that it’s early fall, but they’re pretty far north, so let’s say only 8 hours of daylight and they only travel during the day. They travel from Arendelle to the enchanted forest, so that’s minimum 24 miles, probably more. I haven’t been able to find great numbers for the speed of water in an uncontrolled dam burst, but one place said 23 miles per hour. So Elsa would have been on that horse for an hour each way, plus the additional distance from the island where she was when the dam broke. But let’s quadruple that speed just in case 23 mph is way off, and say the round trip only took half an hour. Magic horse can run fast, that’s fine.

When Elsa gets back, Anna is still standing by the end of the broken dam alone having apparently made no effort to reunite with Mathias and the soldiers, or even move at all as far as we can tell. She doesn’t even know if her friends are alive. But she doesn’t move for HALF AN HOUR? MINIMUM? What the hell? This makes no sense. Who would do that? I’ve seen this movie a hundred times and this bugs me every time.

Why yes, I do have small children.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
she was frozen

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Mission Impossible 2. I can't even remember which of my friends dragged me to it. What at a steaming heap. But it had 2 of my most hated movie issues.

1) The overuse of a gimmick. By the third or fourth time time they used the peel off face with voice chip I was ready to rub popcorn salt in my eyes.

2) Did you pay your continuity editing team with crack? The scene that finally made me walk out was during the big motorcycle chase, you could see everyone was on road bikes of some sort. But when they went onto some dirt, the bikes magically change into motocross bikes. loving hell, you even got a close up shot of the deep knobby tires.

I walked out right then, making all kinds of irrational old man noises.
This movie is number 3 on my most hated list, right behind K-9 and Louis Male's Damage.

Also, gently caress John Woo. Everything he makes is poo poo. I have no idea why he is worshipped as some sort of action movie director god.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Also, gently caress John Woo. Everything he makes is poo poo. I have no idea why he is worshipped as some sort of action movie director god.

Once a Thief and Hard Boiled were incredibly good in, for the time, innovative ways. He's coasted on them and similar early films ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

1) The overuse of a gimmick. By the third or fourth time time they used the peel off face with voice chip I was ready to rub popcorn salt in my eyes.

From the third time it happened each subsequent iteration got a louder and louder laugh of derision from the audience.

I've never heard a theatre full of people poo poo on a movie as hard as that with the possible exception of the "please kill him" prayer scene in Spider-Man 3.