Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Toe Rag posted:

Yes this

https://twitter.com/gregjoz/status/1499067834411872258

Although I’m having trouble imaging what this would ever be used for.

which, ar/vr stuff?

i’m hopeful they’ll show it off but it won’t surprise me if they don’t. they’ve been doing ar teasers for their events for a few years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I doubt we get any VR stuff, that’s more a WWDC thing where they have a chance to talk directly to the developers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I doubt we get any VR stuff, that’s more a WWDC thing where they have a chance to talk directly to the developers

i agree

'peek' perf is such a weird tagline though

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The only thing that comes to mind with the word "peek" in apple parlance for me is the little preview pop-ups they added a while back, like with force touching on a link or 3-finger tapping. They call that peeking.

Seems like a pretty minor feature to theme an event around, though!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The only thing that comes to mind with the word "peek" in apple parlance for me is the little preview pop-ups they added a while back, like with force touching on a link or 3-finger tapping. They call that peeking.

Seems like a pretty minor feature to theme an event around, though!

yeah, that's why i wondered if it was something about a display; it seems equally weird to name the event for a preview, even of the mac pro, unless it's like something really, truly extraordinary

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It’s just “take a PEEK at our new PERFORMANCE based Macs”

I don’t think they’ve done that deep of a tag line in a while

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Let me tell you something, Apple hasn't even begun to peak. And when they do peak, you'll know. Because they're gonna peak so hard that everybody in Cupertino is gonna feel it.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
They're probably switching all their chasses from aluminum over to PEEK, polyether ether ketone, an engineering plastic with metal-like qualities.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it's nothing but it seems like it would be very silly for them to emphasize "performance" while introducing a new category of product

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
A peek is a small look at something bigger.

M2 MacBook Air confirmed. The little peek before the full fat M2 Pro Max Pro XDR... Pro.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Mister Facetious posted:

A peek is a small look at something bigger.

M2 MacBook Air confirmed. The little peek before the full fat M2 Pro Max Pro XDR... Pro.
It's much more likely to be an M2 update to the 13" M1 MacBook Pro with the touch bar based on everything coming out of the supply chain.

There almost certainly will be updated M2 Airs this year but I'd expect them later with a chassis redesign and colour choices to match the new iMacs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ngl I really do like touchbar (the on the go screenshot to the desktop or clipboard has won me over for life) and I'm sure people will come back around if it's attached to the new keyboards.

E: tho they need mutli monitor support out the TB4 ports. None of this hanging an hdmi port off the side as the second monitor nonsense.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 4, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

incoherent posted:

ngl I really do like touchbar (the on the go screenshot to the desktop or clipboard has won me over for life) and I'm sure people will come back around if it's attached to the new keyboards.

E: tho they need mutli monitor support out the TB4 ports. None of this hanging an hdmi port off the side as the second monitor nonsense.
The M1 Pro/Max do support multiple monitors from a TB port. I am using dual 27”s through a Dell TB3 dock on mine at the moment.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Has anyone guessed "scaled up iteration of gpu"? I'm assuming it's more than just two or four M1's slapped together. I think a new Air makes sense, that would follow the pattern of making a thing, making the thing way more power efficient, and then scaling the poo poo out of it once the yields are good.

That said: In 2020 I was staying at an AirBNB with a guy who worked at MagicLeap. We got to talking and he was very insistent that Apple already had AR ready to go, claiming that the reason for 60hz screens on the (at the time) latest phones was because they wanted to leave "the other half" for AR, essentially driving it like a dumb terminal in the same way the 1st gen Apple Watch worked. Said it all got shelved because every single feature was social and encouraged close interpersonal interaction. Grains of salt n all that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

incoherent posted:

at the risk of sounding like an idiot, is this just a button press to save from hitting cmd+c on the screenshot pop-up? not saying it doesn't have value, just curious.

i think the touch bar is a great idea, just wasn't given the sort of support it actually needed (also it obv should have just been an extra row)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Has anyone guessed "scaled up iteration of gpu"? I'm assuming it's more than just two or four M1's slapped together. I think a new Air makes sense, that would follow the pattern of making a thing, making the thing way more power efficient, and then scaling the poo poo out of it once the yields are good.

That said: In 2020 I was staying at an AirBNB with a guy who worked at MagicLeap. We got to talking and he was very insistent that Apple already had AR ready to go, claiming that the reason for 60hz screens on the (at the time) latest phones was because they wanted to leave "the other half" for AR, essentially driving it like a dumb terminal in the same way the 1st gen Apple Watch worked. Said it all got shelved because every single feature was social and encouraged close interpersonal interaction. Grains of salt n all that

I mean, he might know some former Magic Leap ppl under NDA/at Apple now

Apple isn’t exactly a stranger to shipping a product with a feature or capability years before it becomes implemented, or before compatibility with some complementary future device is revealed. They did that for like 2-3 years with the neural engine, they arguably did it with phones that could drive the early Apple Watches, etc. It’s nice for them to come out and be able to be like “if you have an iPhone 8 thru 13 (or whatever) you’re ready to use this new feature” and they still have all that “extra” CPU/GPU power.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mercurius posted:

It's much more likely to be an M2 update to the 13" M1 MacBook Pro with the touch bar based on everything coming out of the supply chain.

There almost certainly will be updated M2 Airs this year but I'd expect them later with a chassis redesign and colour choices to match the new iMacs.

Wait, are they actually going to keep the touch bar around? Wouldn't the 13" Pro be the only model left with it? I've got to imagine it's days are numbered...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm on an international flight with the new mbp / airpod pros and the spatial audio is constantly loving with me. It's so drat convincing, every 20 minutes or so my brain thinks the audio switched from the airpods to my computer speakers and I startle, thinking I'm annoying the entire plane... but it's just the spatial technology fooling my mind.

It's the devil's technology and I'm not sure that it performs much of an actual purpose, but I love it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Taima posted:

I'm on an international flight with the new mbp / airpod pros and the spatial audio is constantly loving with me. It's so drat convincing, every 20 minutes or so my brain thinks the audio switched from the airpods to my computer speakers and I startle, thinking I'm annoying the entire plane... but it's just the spatial technology fooling my mind.

It's the devil's technology and I'm not sure that it performs much of an actual purpose, but I love it.

Yeah I’ve been tremendously impressed by spatial audio but like you 100% of the time that I’ve noticed it it has been because it tricked me into thinking I hosed up. I guess I just don’t use my AirPods that much, pretty much always watch movies on my tv with surround speakers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

frogbs posted:

Wait, are they actually going to keep the touch bar around? Wouldn't the 13" Pro be the only model left with it? I've got to imagine it's days are numbered...

extremely unlikely, it’s just to point out that unit in the current lineup i assume

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Mrs. McHuge has asked me to post the following on "that forum with all the computer-touchers":

"Hi there! I need some Apple TV expertise. By way of background, we just moved our corp. office and I'm doing a tech audit/upgrade for the new space. In the old space we had tvs, each with a Mac Mini attached. The primary use for these tv/computer combos was to show presentations for in-person meetings (PowerPoint, Google Docs, Word, etc.) and hold virtual meetings with video (Zoom, WebEx, GoToMeeting, etc.).

We are going digital-first and won't be in the new office regularly so I am trying to streamline not having to keep all of the Mac Minis updated (OS, various software, etc) as well as provide ease of use since IT will not be in-house to help troubleshoot should anyone there for a meeting run into issues.

Since we were using them for limited capabilities anyway, I am leaning towards replacing the Mac Minis with Apple TVs. Our agency is fully Apple-based, so Apple TVs would allow everyone to easily cast from their MacBook to their chosen tv. I also intend on getting Meeting Owl 360-Degree cameras to aid in hybrid meetings.

The question I have then, is whether I am making the right decision by replacing the Mac Minis with Apple TVs? I am very familiar with Apple products with the exception of Apple TVs, so before I go spending the money and time to get this set up, I want to make sure there isn't anything I am missing or don't know that would make this a bad idea. Would love input from anyone who has knowledge!"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The art school where I work has this setup on our projectors/AV carts.

We have an Apple TV tucked into the projector cart/mount. There's panel on the walls that has buttons to toggle between Apple TV and HDMI line in, control sound, turn the projector on and off. I am not sure how it talks to the device or projector, it was there before we got the Apple TVs and I think it's a wired control.

The setup is that you can AirPlay into the TV and pairs quite easily for Mac users. My impression is that it's harder for students with Windows laptops to project and I think they end up mostly using the HDMI connection. Could be a consideration for if the team has visiting people who might need to project.

One wrinkle is that if there is a way to have the TV not go back to the defaults Apple TV interface/ads for shows, our IT hasn't enabled it, so it's kind of jarring to have the wall festooned with promo for Succession or whatever when no one is actively connected. Depending on how much they care about that, could be a branding problem.

Overall, it's worked really well for us and I regularly swap between different AV things and swap between who is presenting on the fly.

I can't speak to what it's like on the backend except to say that one of our conference rooms has a Mac mini that seems to constantly be annoyed that we haven't kept its software up to date and never seen that with any of the TV-enabled screens.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Taima posted:

Wait, spatial audio makes it sound like music is coming from the laptop? I assumed it would make it sound like it was from all around you or that you were immersed in sound somehow?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Mrs. McHuge has asked me to post the following on "that forum with all the computer-touchers":

"Hi there! I need some Apple TV expertise. By way of background, we just moved our corp. office and I'm doing a tech audit/upgrade for the new space. In the old space we had tvs, each with a Mac Mini attached. The primary use for these tv/computer combos was to show presentations for in-person meetings (PowerPoint, Google Docs, Word, etc.) and hold virtual meetings with video (Zoom, WebEx, GoToMeeting, etc.).

We are going digital-first and won't be in the new office regularly so I am trying to streamline not having to keep all of the Mac Minis updated (OS, various software, etc) as well as provide ease of use since IT will not be in-house to help troubleshoot should anyone there for a meeting run into issues.

Since we were using them for limited capabilities anyway, I am leaning towards replacing the Mac Minis with Apple TVs. Our agency is fully Apple-based, so Apple TVs would allow everyone to easily cast from their MacBook to their chosen tv. I also intend on getting Meeting Owl 360-Degree cameras to aid in hybrid meetings.

The question I have then, is whether I am making the right decision by replacing the Mac Minis with Apple TVs? I am very familiar with Apple products with the exception of Apple TVs, so before I go spending the money and time to get this set up, I want to make sure there isn't anything I am missing or don't know that would make this a bad idea. Would love input from anyone who has knowledge!"

imo it's one of the easier ways for an apple ecosystem to present. if everything is apple-based, i can't see the issue. you can keep the apple TVs set up such that you have to pair with a code it displays on the tv, if it's important.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

doingitwrong posted:

One wrinkle is that if there is a way to have the TV not go back to the defaults Apple TV interface/ads for shows, our IT hasn't enabled it, so it's kind of jarring to have the wall festooned with promo for Succession or whatever when no one is actively connected. Depending on how much they care about that, could be a branding problem.

Yeah there is a setting for that. I didn't even realise there was an option to have it show ads. I use the gorgeous aerial screen savers. They add new ones semi-frequently and it's honestly one of my favourite features

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

101 posted:

Yeah there is a setting for that. I didn't even realise there was an option to have it show ads. I use the gorgeous aerial screen savers. They add new ones semi-frequently and it's honestly one of my favourite features

same

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

101 posted:

There's a program that makes Aerial screensaver movies available to Macs: https://aerialscreensaver.github.io/

Looks great, especially when running behind the login prompt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kickin rad, I'm trying that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

TACD posted:

Wait, spatial audio makes it sound like music is coming from the laptop? I assumed it would make it sound like it was from all around you or that you were immersed in sound somehow?

in typical apple fashion, spatial audio means different things in different contexts. for apple music it makes it sound like it's immersive. for watching like youtube on your phone or laptop, it makes your airpods sound like the sound is coming from your device speakers

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

FMguru posted:

There's a program that makes Aerial screensaver movies available to Macs: https://aerialscreensaver.github.io/

Looks great, especially when running behind the login prompt.

Nice. How do I get it to run behind the login prompt?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

101 posted:

I love the Aerial screen saver. I'm talking about the gap in minutes between when the AirPlaying display is disconnected and the screensaver kicks in, it defaults to "Top Shelf" https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/tvos/overview/top-shelf/

But maybe that time period can be tuned to zero?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

101 posted:

Nice. How do I get it to run behind the login prompt?
I was imprecise - it runs behind the unlock prompt (after you put you machine to sleep, or open the lid after closing it), not the logging-in-for-the-first-time login screen.

It's a very cool effect - oh, let me just type in my password as I fly over the foggy Golden Gate Bridge.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

doingitwrong posted:

I love the Aerial screen saver. I'm talking about the gap in minutes between when the AirPlaying display is disconnected and the screensaver kicks in, it defaults to "Top Shelf" https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/tvos/overview/top-shelf/

But maybe that time period can be tuned to zero?

Ah, I see what you mean. If you just move another app to the top left it will default to that instead. I use Plex but mabe in a business environment you could just throw something inoffensive that doesn't show anything like the Settings app and then set the screensaver timer as low as it'll go?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

in typical apple fashion, spatial audio means different things in different contexts. for apple music it makes it sound like it's immersive. for watching like youtube on your phone or laptop, it makes your airpods sound like the sound is coming from your device speakers

This can be adjusted in the sound menu of whatever device, or by long pressing on the volume in control center on an iPhone. I don’t know why I’d want the device speaker sound mode when I’m wearing headphones so I have that off everywhere.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Dropout is a new miniseries about Theranos and it has some pretty funny scenes of Apple worship by Elizabeth Holmes. In high school she has a painting of Steve Jobs on her wall and she stares at it lovingly while dancing. While at Stanford she carries around an iPod everywhere and there's a scene where she's rubbing it all over her face and neck. She goes to an Apple Store at the launch of the very first iPhone and when the doors open she and the crowd go absolutely apeshit and scream about the new phone. Later on she has an appointment at the Genius Bar to replace her broken phone and they accidentally lose her data while transferring. She insults the genius by saying their life must be so easy since they have no ambition in life and they won't do anything special. If you're into Apple I think it's a fun show so far.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

mediaphage posted:

imo it's one of the easier ways for an apple ecosystem to present. if everything is apple-based, i can't see the issue. you can keep the apple TVs set up such that you have to pair with a code it displays on the tv, if it's important.

Its a shame that the apple TV don't support usb cameras. It was always a missed opportunity imo and like OPs original setup, mac minis are kludgy outside an MDM to setup to be a kiosk for teams\zoom\perfered conference software.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mu Zeta posted:

The Dropout is a new miniseries about Theranos and it has some pretty funny scenes of Apple worship by Elizabeth Holmes. In high school she has a painting of Steve Jobs on her wall and she stares at it lovingly while dancing. While at Stanford she carries around an iPod everywhere and there's a scene where she's rubbing it all over her face and neck. She goes to an Apple Store at the launch of the very first iPhone and when the doors open she and the crowd go absolutely apeshit and scream about the new phone. Later on she has an appointment at the Genius Bar to replace her broken phone and they accidentally lose her data while transferring. She insults the genius by saying their life must be so easy since they have no ambition in life and they won't do anything special. If you're into Apple I think it's a fun show so far.

Thanks for the rec, I was considering checking it out and that sounds like a p fun/interesting time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

incoherent posted:

Its a shame that the apple TV don't support usb cameras. It was always a missed opportunity imo and like OPs original setup, mac minis are kludgy outside an MDM to setup to be a kiosk for teams\zoom\perfered conference software.

hard agree

or even tighter integration with their pre-existing ecosystem; like, why not set it up to easily mount an iphone (esp with magsafe!) and use its camera?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think I'm good with my apple tv not having a camera attached

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Last Chance posted:

I think I'm good with my apple tv not having a camera attached

I mean in this scenario it'll be purely optional but definitely would open up some cool possibilities if they offered a webcam with centerstage for FaceTime/conferencing purposes