Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It was $1.65+ in southern Ontario yesterday for me

closing in on 1.60$ in Ottawa but not quite there yet. Bit cheaper on the Quebec side? maybe proximity to Montreal a factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

please dont bat signal the gun nuts from these very forums who gently caress and cum in them

also gas hit $1.639 in Winnipeg, higher elsewhere lol

sure glad i built out by Selkirk! it'll be another $10 or so per fill, so like, not the end of the world but i am in a privileged position. this squeeze by oil billionaires sucking each others balls over record profits is getting exhausting

Maybe we'll finally get decent snow plowing of walking and cycling infrastructure when gas hits $2.50 this summer barely comes back down next winter and people are faced with either going broke just to commute, getting stabbed on the bus, or bundling up and getting there under their own power.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Unfortunately my commute takes me on Wellington Cres and no matter how bad it gets I'm cursed to encounter an rear end in a top hat threatening to run me over with their Audi at least once per day.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Remember at the start of covid when gas was $0.67

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

EvilJoven posted:

Maybe we'll finally get decent snow plowing of walking and cycling infrastructure when gas hits $2.50 this summer barely comes back down next winter and people are faced with either going broke just to commute, getting stabbed on the bus, or bundling up and getting there under their own power.

this post is mostly a joke but try last time gas prices jumped suddenly when Iraq kicked off there was a demonstrable reduction in GHG emissions for severally years.

silver lining (not serious please don’t take this seriously)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karach posted:

I completely agree with your take on the aesthetics of gun ownership.

hanging out with gun nuts was something else, and I was pretty naive at the time. my buddy loved to bring people into his gun room and get them to handle all of the AR-15 variants he had hanging of the wall, cooing about the balance and feel and the infinite opportunities afforded to him by owning such an amazing "platform." and sure: when I picked one up and put it to my shoulder, yes indeed, it felt better than my poo poo $300 baby's-first-rifle Savage Axis XP with its 9 pound trigger pull and NERF-padded stock. and when I shot a gong with it when we all went target shooting, yup, it's very accurate and pretty easy to shoot and I can get on centre for another shot pretty quickly. I haven't tried the 8,000+ other semi-auto civilian rifles out there, so I have no idea how it stacks up compared to those, but it seems pretty nice.

but that's about it, honestly. I never really got into the "romance" of shooting. like, being able to load, unload, and shoot a firearm is a good skill to have, and I've had to use guns occasionally for pests and livestock management on the farm, but my interest in them stopped there.

so I guess my question is, does the Liberal party buy into your theory about the aesthetics of "assault-style" guns? Like, are you saying that that's why they banned this and other "assault-style" weapons, purely because of aesthetics? And is that a good idea, strategically speaking? Like, isn't banning these things just increasing their allure, and playing into the myth about "Libs taking away your guns?" I guess what I'm asking is, even if your account of things is true, is the ban having the effect of making the gun less appealing in Canadian society?

hell if I know. I originally wrote that post back in 2020 when the Liberals were first doing their big list of gun bans in response to the Nova Scotia shooting, and I haven't followed how it's progressed at all since then

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

vyelkin posted:

hell if I know. I originally wrote that post back in 2020 when the Liberals were first doing their big list of gun bans in response to the Nova Scotia shooting, and I haven't followed how it's progressed at all since then

The amnesty ends next month and there's still no information on the compensated confiscation that was supposed to roll out. It's more or less playing out as expected, with the prohibition simply being a way to get votes and appear to be doing something while not having any sort of plan or actual effect on crime.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I need to write a post on the aesthetics of Justin Trudeau ownership

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nice post, vyelkin. It's all fascinating stuff to see how the aesthetics argument stacks up. As someone who used to be a huge gun nut (ironically those were mostly my airsoft days; when I got my PAL and real firearms I cooled off significantly), I know some of the arguments and the whole "the RCMP just looked through an issue of Soldier of Fortune and banned stuff that looked scary" have large nuggets of truth to them. But it's disingenuous, borderline bad-faith arguing, to use that as a primary point of contention as to "why I should be able to own this thing." You can't even use the classic Mini-14 vs. AR15 argument anymore because the Mini-14 is banned now too.

There are plenty of things that make an 'assault rifle' what it is that any reasonable person with access to statistics would agree increases their potential for dangerous misuse. As someone upthread mentioned, it's peculiar that we expect gun laws (really, any laws) to be perfect in their application. We have waiting periods and background checks to reduce crimes of passion. We have magazine capacity limits and don't allow cyclic fire to make it (just a mote bit) harder for any potential mass shooter to send out dozens of projectiles in seconds. We have ATTs and rules about storing ammunition separately for similar reasons. We don't let you own a loving rocket launcher for exactly the same reason.

On the flip side of that coin, something Karach mentioned above about the ease-of-use of the AR platform is important: How easy it was to hit that gong target multiple times. These are guns that were designed to make being an infantryman easier. They're lighter, more accurate, easier to handle than their battle rifle predecessors, and any competent instructor can take an untrained person and in about a day or so make them relatively accurate at range. You can say "yeah but it's a great varmint rifle" for the same reasons, but the tool exists to make killing multiple people significantly easier. Dance around the nomenclature all you want, we should be making such tools harder to acquire.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gun nuts being very particular and mad about incorrect terminology just makes me think of a kid telling his grandma that it's a playstation, not a nintendo.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

gas about to skyrocket. Russia just announced cutting off all oil and petroleum products to US

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Oxyclean posted:

Gun nuts being very particular and mad about incorrect terminology just makes me think of a kid telling his grandma that it's a playstation, not a nintendo.

call a bullet container a clip. I dare you.

or a cartridge a bullet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
ban all guns up to and including the NES light zapper just for the posts IMO.

Super Scope 6 must remain legal tho

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The SNES Super Scope isn't an assault rifle because it doesn't have a rifled barrel

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Karach posted:

or a cartridge a bullet.

[slowly and with great enjoyment] a cartridge is a bullet

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Actually prior to may 1 2020, it was entirely legal to own rocket launchers, anti tank rifles, grenade launchers etc. Except owning explosive ammo was banned

First I own guns :blastu:

But if the government wanted to ban certain firearms for being very mass shooting-able they should be able to put out the criteria that makes them that way. So it's clear what is being affected rather than it becoming a popularity contest of banning certain guns by name/look every year because it's the most popular gun. I did disagree with vylekin back when he first posted that long post because the ban by name just shifts the problem to a different firearm, and ad infinitum.

I do agree with coxswain that it's the LPC issue to gain votes without doing anything to make Canada safer.

C-71 hasn't been fully activated yet after its passage in 2019 (so important to gun safety but spend 3 years not actually implementing it), the OiC banning certain firearms is reaching its amensty expiration date on April 30 2022 where people will become criminals for the crime of waiting for a government buyback or grandfathering (guns too dangerous for people to own, but they can keep them until they die), and the delay yet again of the firearm marking regulations to 2023 because they couldn't figure out how to make a long gun registry using it (a joint CPC and LPC boondoggle juggling since 2004).

Every time a gangster shoots at each other with prohibited pistols, the government needs to ban certain named rifles by what they look like to protect Canadians.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

gas about to skyrocket. Russia just announced cutting off all oil and petroleum products to US

Link? I can't find this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
even if it is/were true would it really matter? it's 3% of the us supply, they get 61% from canada alone

second-order effects might be more likely

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hand Knit posted:

[slowly and with great enjoyment] a cartridge is a bullet

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
It rained on the pipeline. Better jack up the price 10 cents.

Bunch of O&G bullshit IMO, always quick to raise the price when anything happens but never go down.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i loving wish this were true and gas prices had been slowly ratcheting upwards for decades faster than inflation

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

i read it all motherfuckers! and always appreciate vyelkin effortposts

and that comic you linked is very good

https://popula.com/2019/02/24/about-face/

my bro-in-law has adopted the MMA/AR15/Punisher culture. One of my friends who grew up in actual war in Lebanon met him and described him as a 'wounded little boy', a description that has stuck with me and that comic echoes.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Link? I can't find this.
Think pravda is cut off right now
https://web.archive.org/web/20220303181049/https://english.pravda.ru/news/world/150550-russia_usa_oil/

http://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/jpmorgan-says-185-oil-is-in-view-if-russian-supply-hit-persists-1.1732005

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

closing in on 1.60$ in Ottawa but not quite there yet. Bit cheaper on the Quebec side? maybe proximity to Montreal a factor

$1.57/L currently in NS with a 10c jump tomorrow. Good times!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Karach posted:

or a cartridge a bullet.

Are you implying doom is wrong?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Oxyclean posted:

Are you implying doom is wrong?

unless the gun has an internal magazine and those are stripper clips, then I'm not yet prepared to be john romero's bitch

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

so like now that gas prices are up is Calgary booming again or what?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Starks posted:

I can feel the reverberation of Jason Kenney's climax from here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
looks like alberta should just invest in destabilizing governments of oil producing nations. way higher roi than picking fights with ottawa over pipelines

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Starks posted:

Nah literally the boom is equating to like zero jobs.

Its hilarious.

Jason's doing a victory lap for his balanced budget though, and announcing a lot of poo poo for Red Deer where his leadership review is happening.

Also had a hard on for pushing pipelines due to the Russia/Ukraine situation to the point where even some conservatives were like dude... read the room.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
thanks NATO!!!

https://www.winnipeggasprices.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Starks posted:

god bless are truckers

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
rapidly accelerating toward the time when it's just too expensive for people to drive to work

I can't wait

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
eager to see how this somehow still results in worse car culture, bigger vehicles and worse public transportation/bike/ped infra. i'm confident it will happen

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Karach posted:

rapidly accelerating toward the time when it's just too expensive for people to drive to work

I can't wait

work from home!

or don't work from home, if you've got no work

or don't not work from home, if you've got no home

just quietly die in the street, ok?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mexicans pay around the same gas prices on 1/5 of the salary. we’ll be fine. maybe it’s time for everyone to stop buying 50,000 CUVs though

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Nah literally the boom is equating to like zero jobs.

Its hilarious.

Jason's doing a victory lap for his balanced budget though, and announcing a lot of poo poo for Red Deer where his leadership review is happening.

Also had a hard on for pushing pipelines due to the Russia/Ukraine situation to the point where even some conservatives were like dude... read the room.

lol drat

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Starks posted:

Mexicans pay around the same gas prices on 1/5 of the salary. we’ll be fine. maybe it’s time for everyone to stop buying 50,000 CUVs though

how am I supposed to roll into the middle class if it's not in a 2,500 kg Ram with cat delete?? on a bike?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

leftist heap posted:

eager to see how this somehow still results in worse car culture, bigger vehicles and worse public transportation/bike/ped infra. i'm confident it will happen

we need more direct and higher speed roads with less stops so we don't have cars wasting gas idling. all pedestrians will have to use bridges or tunnels to cross roads so less cars need to stop at cross walks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

leftist heap posted:

the bigger the truck the more owned the libs are