Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Cool
E: Oh FFS. So this isn't completely contentless, I just finished The Owl Service by Alan Garner. I enjoyed it a lot, and I think if I'd read it as a child it would have scared the poo poo out of me forever.

I think it aged very well for something almost 60 years old, too.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DurianGray posted:

I also haven't read Goblin Emperor, but between some of what you all have been saying and the details/critique in this Blood Knife article/review (it definitely contains spoilers), I'm not sure that I'd enjoy it for personal politics reasons (I am admittedly pretty far left, so the things pointed out in the Blood Knife article would probably stick in my craw, especially already being aware of them going in).

I don't think everything in fiction has to be revolutionary (that would be boring!) but I do wish there were maybe a little more of it, especially with how common stories that are pretty uncritical of the institutions of empire/monarchy are in fantasy. It's far far more common to see "It's just this specific ruler who is bad and needs to be replaced, not the systems that enable bad rulers/hierarchies" than not. (As an obvious example, this is a big reason why I like Baru so much! And General Battuta, I will happily give you more of my money, that blows that you're not getting any residuals/royalties for your work on Destiny.)

goblin emperor has a happy ending for the main character the emperor, so there is definitely a limit to how revolutionary it can get. the linked review goes off the handle a little, but yeah the book is basically "i don't care about politics" centrist

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16LC/

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

DurianGray posted:

I also haven't read Goblin Emperor, but between some of what you all have been saying and the details/critique in this Blood Knife article/review (it definitely contains spoilers), I'm not sure that I'd enjoy it for personal politics reasons (I am admittedly pretty far left, so the things pointed out in the Blood Knife article would probably stick in my craw, especially already being aware of them going in).

I don't think everything in fiction has to be revolutionary (that would be boring!) but I do wish there were maybe a little more of it, especially with how common stories that are pretty uncritical of the institutions of empire/monarchy are in fantasy. It's far far more common to see "It's just this specific ruler who is bad and needs to be replaced, not the systems that enable bad rulers/hierarchies" than not. (As an obvious example, this is a big reason why I like Baru so much! And General Battuta, I will happily give you more of my money, that blows that you're not getting any residuals/royalties for your work on Destiny.)

I'm not sure I really buy the argument laid out here entirely. Most of the negative observations of the left-anarchist types in this book are entirely in-character for the characters that are observing them. Maya is kind of a comfortable centrist, but I think the politics of the book itself are arguably more ambiguous.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Cool
E: Oh FFS. So this isn't completely contentless, I just finished The Owl Service by Alan Garner. I enjoyed it a lot, and I think if I'd read it as a child it would have scared the poo poo out of me forever.

That's the one based on the story of Llew Llaw Gyffes, right? Yeah, that's an interesting story for modern writers to tackle because the original is so nakedly misogynistic in its treatment of Arianrhod, Goewin, and Blodeuwedd. I also liked Evangeline Walton's interpretation in The Island of the Mighty.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Danhenge posted:

I'm not sure I really buy the argument laid out here entirely. Most of the negative observations of the left-anarchist types in this book are entirely in-character for the characters that are observing them. Maya is kind of a comfortable centrist, but I think the politics of the book itself are arguably more ambiguous.

Yeah, the politics of TGE are hardly perfect, but it is uh, quite critical of the structure of the Empire, and quite clear about how that structure leads to harm being done even if the people in charge are super nice folks. Which is a whole lot smarter of a take than, "Maia should have dissolved the empire."

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, the politics of TGE are hardly perfect, but it is uh, quite critical of the structure of the Empire, and quite clear about how that structure leads to harm being done even if the people in charge are super nice folks. Which is a whole lot smarter of a take than, "Maia should have dissolved the empire."

Ah, that's good to hear that there's a bit more nuance to it. It's been interesting to hear other takes of the book in the past few pages. I've been reading a lot more the past few years than I have in a long time, and while I've read a lot of good stuff, I've come across enough books with, I guess a sort of baked-in political naivety/disinterest to them that it started to really irk me the more I'd run into it. So I might just be hypersensitive to that kind of thing now that I'm trying to be a little picker about my reading.

Speaking of which, that question earlier about reading a lot and trying to remember it all:

Starting around January 2020 through now, I've apparently read almost 200 books. Before that, I was reading maybe 2-3 books a year at most. I had a mental switch flip right before the pandemic started when I realized I wanted to read books again like I used to, and then that quickly turned into a coping mechanism, but now it's just a regular (healthy?) habit.

I use a combination of Goodreads/Storygraph (really just Storygraph right now) and a small paper journal (the Apica CD-10 in A6 size) to track what I've read. I mostly use Storygraph for a running list of books I already own or have pre-ordered (I mostly read e-books, and it's a lot easier to navigate Storygraph than my Kindle library), and for stats on what I read and when. But the notebook is where I'll actually write down details (publication year, page count, genre, that sort of thing) and then thoughts, usually only once I've finished a book. Each book just gets one page, so it's brief, but it's usually enough to jumpstart my memory when I'm fuzzy on what a book was about, or at least my impression of it. Doing the Booklord Challenge here last year was especially helpful in getting me to remember things just by doing a short synopsis of each book I read for a given month. (I'll go ahead and cross-promote here that there's still plenty of time to join this year's if anyone wants to!)

I'm still trying to figure out a good system for short story anthologies though, since I'll usually forget all but a few individual stories unless it was an especially solid collection. Maybe I need to just buck up and start using a larger notebook.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
To be clear, the politics of the book are more liberal than they are radical. But as someone who has read the book, the review comes across more like someone shouting "where the gently caress is my fantasy polemic!?" than as a reasoned critique of what's present.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a lot of people out there who were expecting swords and sorcery and not a 17th century court drama that happens to be in a fantasy setting

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

DurianGray posted:

I want to know where all the constitutional monarchies are in fiction.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Does the Goblin rule the Empire, or the Emperor the Goblins?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
goblins rule

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cptn_dr posted:

Cool

Garner is a titan, you wouldn't have half the YA novels of today without him. He's still around and still writing, too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Battuta posted:

Does the Goblin rule the Empire, or the Emperor the Goblins?

the goblin which appears to be a racial slur for black elf rules the empire of the white elves op

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

I still haven't read baru cormorant and probably never will :twisted:
graydon saunders please be nice to your fellow author

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
maybe he should have more alts baru cormorant

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
the few bits of his writing for it that I've read is the closest anything has come to making me buy destiny

it didn't succeed, because the game is destiny, but it did make me check for deals a few times

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

ive heard the author of baru is a member of a forum full of notorious chuds and trolls

4chan?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Danhenge posted:

To be clear, the politics of the book are more liberal than they are radical. But as someone who has read the book, the review comes across more like someone shouting "where the gently caress is my fantasy polemic!?" than as a reasoned critique of what's present.

the goblin baru cormorant

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Danhenge posted:

When Goblin Emperor came out in 2014 it was peak Game of Thrones where a lot of Serious Fantasy was about assholes being lovely to each other, or at least a lot of betrayals. When we hit the Becky Chambers era it was a relief to get something that wasn't unrelentingly grim.

Now the zeitgeist has turned again and people are writing sneering medium posts about Hopepunk and how it reflects a myopic shitlib sense of how meaningful political change just requires being very nice. Or at least if you're going to write up a fantasy empire you should ask yourself if thoughtless imperialism is necessary. Things change. Next it'll be a wholesale embrace of doorstopper novels containing enough paper to provide useful light and heat.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Copernic posted:

Next it'll be a wholesale embrace of doorstopper novels containing enough paper to provide useful light and heat.
IIRC in the uk you pay vat on firewood, but not books.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

90s Cringe Rock posted:

IIRC in the uk you pay vat on firewood, but not books.

as a dedicated prepper and serious survivalist of course i'm donating to the sanderson kickstarter.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
currently doing the format conversion to pirate a print on demand copy of the wandering inn

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

90s Cringe Rock posted:

currently doing the format conversion to pirate a print on demand copy of the wandering inn

Please! Isn’t the paper shortage bad enough!!!!!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

worse,. if you can believe it

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

General Battuta posted:

But it's definitely frustrating to see the rich get richer while you write checks to pay off your back rent and struggle to get the special 'poor people health insurance' forms (available only by email, which sends you a phone number to call) to do your taxes. All while every other YouTube video is an ad for a gigantically successful video game with your writing parked right in the title. I am 100% professionally jealous of Sanderson getting paid for his good work. I wish I could get paid for my good work.

a lesson i've learned from a man named Son Goku is that there's always another mountain to climb. i bet Sanderson has a copy of the Federal Register nailed to the wall right above his writing battlestation.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i've been popping back on destiny to play through each new expansion but i think that's going to stop here. that really loving sucks

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Beefeater1980 posted:

I want to know where all the constitutional monarchies are in fiction.

David Weber writes a lot of them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not going to lie. There is something powerfully comforting about reading a monarchy or similar "one strong leader on top" where things get done and it's presented as a good thing. Like - I know it's a lie. I know it's not good or stable (succession is a jerk), but it's such a nice fantasy. I get the same vibe from watching West Wing where wow, everyone in charge is educated and knows what they're doing. I'd like to live in those worlds, instead of this one.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

idk about "hopepunk" or w/e but I could use some more chill and humanistic books ala Becky Chambers

I've recently read:
everything Chambers
The Goblin Emperor / Speaker
Legends & Lattes
a lot of Elizabeth Bear

Anything else along those lines to recommend?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've been reading the third Bone Ships book and I really want to finish it and find out what happens, but I'm a third of the way through the book and I can't get through a page or two without my attention drifting off. The book is much more of a slog than the first two, though I felt like they both had stretches that were longer than they need to be. Barker just has a tendency to overwrite relatively unimportant scenes and rehash characterization more than would ever be necessary.

And dear lord the copyediting is dire. The book has lots of typos, misused homophones, and I think even some misplaced character names. It's never enough to really gently caress anything up, but those combined with people talking in dumb dialects is making it very hard for me to get through. I can't remember the last time I dropped a series on the last book but this might be one that I just won't get through.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not going to lie. There is something powerfully comforting about reading a monarchy or similar "one strong leader on top" where things get done and it's presented as a good thing. Like - I know it's a lie. I know it's not good or stable (succession is a jerk), but it's such a nice fantasy. I get the same vibe from watching West Wing where wow, everyone in charge is educated and knows what they're doing. I'd like to live in those worlds, instead of this one.

You aren't allowed to like that sort of thing anymore. :mad:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

tokenbrownguy posted:

idk about "hopepunk" or w/e but I could use some more chill and humanistic books ala Becky Chambers

I've recently read:
everything Chambers
Legends & Lattes
a lot of Elizabeth Bear

A Woman of the Iron People is good chill anthropological sci-fi

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

tokenbrownguy posted:

I've recently read:
everything Chambers
Legends & Lattes
a lot of Elizabeth Bear

Winter's Orbit by Everina Maxwell might be up your alley. Space Opera that's actually just a gay romance in space trappings. Probably my favorite book of last year

May not qualify as completely chill because of a depiction of abuse? Definitely humanistic though.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Legends & Lattes
Like everyone I ordered that based on the cover alone (and the cheap price), the author wrote this big breakdown of self-publishing based on his experience which was interesting for a behind the scenes thing - https://medium.com/@travisbaldree/self-published-book-launch-a-z-39ec6f9257e1

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, I understand the idea and allure (and thus why is it so common in scifi/fantasy due to nerd power fantasies) but in reality is has just done immeasurable harm to the planet and will continue to do so. Heinlein loved it so much he used it all the time, even claiming fear of political assassination would keep the rulers in line. Then he filled his fiction with immortal ubermensch self-inserts for whom being killed would just be a slight annoyance before they go on a trip to bang another relative. The best explanation I've seen is the Big Daddy/Mommy thing is how a toddler reacts, Mommy and Daddy are good, thus anyone who disagrees is just wrong and bad. It doesn't matter why. When you get older, you realize that Mom and Dad are human beings with real flaws and probably deserve help/criticism/therapy/whatever. Problem is that too many people are stuck in toddler mode, and the entire system (politics, capitalism, religion, dictatorships, etc) is built up to encourage it. It's just too hard to have good fun when the ghouls keep ruining it.

Please note I am not trying to accuse you of toddler thinking at all and understand you are just being honest, I rewrote this like five times to try not to be insulting but may have still failed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

Like everyone I ordered that based on the cover alone (and the cheap price), the author wrote this big breakdown of self-publishing based on his experience which was interesting for a behind the scenes thing - https://medium.com/@travisbaldree/self-published-book-launch-a-z-39ec6f9257e1

Yeah, I understand the idea and allure (and thus why is it so common in scifi/fantasy due to nerd power fantasies) but in reality is has just done immeasurable harm to the planet and will continue to do so. Heinlein loved it so much he used it all the time, even claiming fear of political assassination would keep the rulers in line. Then he filled his fiction with immortal ubermensch self-inserts for whom being killed would just be a slight annoyance before they go on a trip to bang another relative. The best explanation I've seen is the Big Daddy/Mommy thing is how a toddler reacts, Mommy and Daddy are good, thus anyone who disagrees is just wrong and bad. It doesn't matter why. When you get older, you realize that Mom and Dad are human beings with real flaws and probably deserve help/criticism/therapy/whatever. Problem is that too many people are stuck in toddler mode, and the entire system (politics, capitalism, religion, dictatorships, etc) is built up to encourage it. It's just too hard to have good fun when the ghouls keep ruining it.

Please note I am not trying to accuse you of toddler thinking at all and understand you are just being honest, I rewrote this like five times to try not to be insulting but may have still failed

No, I absolutely get it. As I keep saying, it's okay to like problematic things as long as you know how and why they're problematic and don't perpetuate those things in the real world.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokenbrownguy posted:

I've recently read:
everything Chambers
Legends & Lattes
a lot of Elizabeth Bear

healer's road, the earthcent series by e. m. foner

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up to let you know The Broken Room by Peter clines slaps.

Started it last night, finished it today. Lil weird in parts but overall a great book.

You don't need to have read any of his other works. This book is self-contained, and just has a few minor cameos for things that you might recognize from other books.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 3, 2022

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

tokenbrownguy posted:

I've recently read:
everything Chambers
Legends & Lattes
a lot of Elizabeth Bear

I think it's been a while since it last came up by maybe the Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire? The books are varying levels of interconnected, but they mostly center around a boarding school for kids who were sucked into various portal dimensions and then got sent back to the 'real' world (some by choice, many not, and most want to go back to their portal worlds). They get a little dark sometimes, but I think there's a sort of Chambers-esque humanism underlying them that keeps them mostly optimistic, or at 'worst,' bittersweet (they're also all very quick novellas for what that's worth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I think a lot of people probably ordered it because he’s a well known audiobook narrator in the self-pub (specifically progression fantasy) space. Well, maybe not people in this thread, I suppose.

Dude’s also a game developer, I wish I had professional level talent in that many different areas.