Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

rydiafan posted:

So say those instead of just dismissively saying "git gud".

Think about where you're positioning yourself, work on your dodging skills, try different weapons in different situations. These are all tangible things to focus on as opposed to the useless emptiness of "just don't suck, loser".

alright alright, this is clearly useless. sigh. ok. The secret behind gittin gud is:

wait for the attack to end, hit the boss once and roll away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Note: Offer invalid if the same animation is also part of an 8-hit wombo combo that is otherwise the same.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

Note: Offer invalid if the same animation is also part of an 8-hit wombo combo that is otherwise the same.

Even longtime souls people getting combo'd by good friend margit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the bosses’ attack pacing in ER deliberately fucks with my instincts and I respect it even if I don’t appreciate it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

All true, but also the crucible knight is an rear end in a top hat. And I keep running into versions of him with more health. As soon as I figure him out, they put another one in a different arena that changes how you fight him.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Vic posted:

alright alright, this is clearly useless. sigh. ok. The secret behind gittin gud is:

wait for the attack to end, hit the boss once and roll away

I mean, you're being sarcastic, but that is unironically better advice.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

All true, but also the crucible knight is an rear end in a top hat. And I keep running into versions of him with more health. As soon as I figure him out, they put another one in a different arena that changes how you fight him.

That just reminds me that in Dark Souls 2 they repeat a tough boss fight in the DLC with a palette swap, but also just slightly changed the timing on its attacks so your already-built muscle memory would gently caress you over while dodging its attacks :allears:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

rydiafan posted:

So say those instead of just dismissively saying "git gud".

Think about where you're positioning yourself, work on your dodging skills, try different weapons in different situations. These are all tangible things to focus on as opposed to the useless emptiness of "just don't suck, loser".

Yeah tbh even when the advice is fundamentally just “there’s no trick, you just need to learn the boss’s attack patterns and figure out when you need to be on the defensive and when you have a safe opening to attack. You’ll get the hang of it” I think that’s better than git gud

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The secret to get gud is get a big shield.

No, bigger.

BIGGER!

Ok, now two hand it and when they hit your shield, press the right trigger.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

rydiafan posted:

I mean, you're being sarcastic, but that is unironically better advice.

I was not being sarcastic

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think if you "get" dark souls you might have schizophrenia.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Dark Souls is easy to get. Just watch this short, 30 hour youtube series

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

thecluckmeme posted:

Well that's just uncalled for and assholeishly vague, how the gently caress do you post gud? :argh:

Lurk more.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Phigs posted:

Lurk more.

:holymoley:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

hi, i used to post here as hollowedstomper58, and

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, there is a lot of annoy bullshit in Fromsoft games. But every now and then,the bullshit is hilarious and you just can't help but laugh at how you just died to a screaming kite man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCTa3ZZZo0&t

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Your first mimic death is a rite of passage imo

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Goofballs posted:

My thing dragging down Elden Ring is I have no clue why I'm doing anything. Like in the broad sense I know I need to collect big souls to reform the elden ring. Anything more specific that, nah. I'm just running around the world fighting. I've played dark souls games and samurai souls at release before and picked up the jist of things. Elden ring I'm just entirely befuddled, there are hollows? Is there an undeath curse? I don't remember anyone saying that. Its gorgeous, the fighting is tight but people say baffling things to you, you agree to their requests but you don't know what to do about them. There's one quest that's I need you to go find a golden needle in a swamp and I'll explain what happened here. Go find a needle in a swamp, that's worse than a haystack. In like 6 months someone will make a video explaining what the gently caress is going on but in the meantime I'm just stumbling around the world like I'm on ether and extremely belligerent

This is the first thing about Elden Ring I've heard that actually gives me pause. Because an overly-vague and minimal plot was one of the things that really turned me off of Dark Souls 3.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The plot is more obvious than any actual Dark Souls game

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

This is the first thing about Elden Ring I've heard that actually gives me pause. Because an overly-vague and minimal plot was one of the things that really turned me off of Dark Souls 3.

The plot isn't minimal. Not at all. It's just not fed to you with cutscenes and tons of exposition.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What do you need plot for?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

e: actual thing dragging Elden Ring down is this is the second time it has crashed my entire ps5 instead of loading the title screen, idk what the gently caress that's about but it triggers a full system repair. Ugh.

this crash was so bad that none of my games or apps have icons on the PS5 home screen anymore except inexplicably the Elden Ring Adventure Guide

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

sekiro’s stealth is a complete afterthought, it’s an action game through and through

Well then I don't know what it says that the 'afterthought' part of the design is better than the core.

I would be enjoying fighting Lady Butterfly a lot more if it had some stealth to break up several minutes of 'attack after dodging her unblockable'.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I really wanted to like Sekiro more than I did, but the block and parry timing just seemed completely unforgiving. I heard it might actually be tied to your TV/monitor's refresh rate, and I know my TV's "game mode" is pretty garbage, but it was the first and only game I've played that has given me such a hard time with a basic mechanic. I think my save file is stuck where I can go in three different directions to get horribly killed by three different bosses but that's about it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Same. I really liked the small bit of Sekiro I played, but I hit the point where I could either fight Butterfly or one of the main bosses (the bull I think) and either way I'd get clobbered. Though my main issue with Sekiro was all the systems they have to punish dying, so it straight up gets harder the more stuck you are

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

More than any other from game, with sekiro you literally just have to get good. No amount of extra health or retires is going to make up for learning the ability to predict and counter enemy attacks flawlessly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Sekiro is a rhythm game, you just gotta learn the song is all

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Sekiro is a rhythm game, you just gotta learn the song is all

my baby’s always dancin
and that wouldn’t be a bad thing
but I can’t get no lovin
and that’s no lie

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Same. I really liked the small bit of Sekiro I played, but I hit the point where I could either fight Butterfly or one of the main bosses (the bull I think) and either way I'd get clobbered. Though my main issue with Sekiro was all the systems they have to punish dying, so it straight up gets harder the more stuck you are

What?

Sekiro does not make things harder the more you die wtf? You literally get a resurrect button if you die mid fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kazil posted:

What?

Sekiro does not make things harder the more you die wtf? You literally get a resurrect button if you die mid fight.

they're probably talking about dragonrot, which will not go down in history as one of from's better-realized mechanics

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kirby Triple Deluxe: Kirby can eat the Waddle Dee's cabin, then steal their treasure.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Why does Pokemon Arceus want you to catch so many drat pokemon? Catching multiples, sure, but catching 25 of something? Or wanting you to catch 20 of something, but then wanting 25 captures at night or something.

At a guess, because you can quickly catch 5 pokemon now in the same time it would take you to catch 1 in the old games (considering stuff like start of battle animations, choosing your attack even if it's just mashing A, waiting for the turn to end and chosing a pokeball). gently caress that, imma just gonna machine-gun out these pokeballs and skip that battle nonsense. A little annoying that it's usually "Catch 25" from what's I've seen, 15 or 20 would have probably been fine.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oxxidation posted:

they're probably talking about dragonrot, which will not go down in history as one of from's better-realized mechanics

Also the fact that items don't come back when you come back, so if a boss kicked your rear end and you used multiple healing items and buffs, you now get to try again without that stuff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like 100%ing every pokedex entry is for psychos, while getting the level to max out at level 10 is easy

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

marshmallow creep posted:

I riposted him to death pretty easily. Now the black knife assassin dude I have no idea what to do with.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rockman Reserve posted:

e: actual thing dragging Elden Ring down is this is the second time it has crashed my entire ps5 instead of loading the title screen, idk what the gently caress that's about but it triggers a full system repair. Ugh.

This happens to me 100% of the time if I let the PS5 go into sleep mode with Elden ring running unless it’s at the title screen.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Also the fact that items don't come back when you come back, so if a boss kicked your rear end and you used multiple healing items and buffs, you now get to try again without that stuff

But that's just consumables.

You don't have to buff for any boss. Your healing gourd is more than enough and it replenishes when you are at an idol. None of that makes the game harder when you die.

Like, it's ok to bounce off a game if it's not for you, but Sekiro factually doesn't make the game harder when you die.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

kazil posted:

You don't have to buff for any boss. Your healing gourd is more than enough and it replenishes when you are at an idol. None of that makes the game harder when you die.

Like, it's ok to bounce off a game if it's not for you, but Sekiro factually doesn't make the game harder when you die.

Right, except the healing gourd was obviously not enough, which is why I kept dying. And when I die, I lose all the other stuff I’d bought to help me, and then the dragon rot reduces my unseen aid. 2 systems that directly made the game harder for me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kazil posted:

If I turn up with pellets and flamethrower ammo, use them, and don't get them back when I die, it has clearly made things harder after death.

Yes, they're 'just consumables', but Sekiro leans harder on consumables than any Souls game, and I can't say is better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Right, except the healing gourd was obviously not enough, which is why I kept dying. And when I die, I lose all the other stuff I’d bought to help me, and then the dragon rot reduces my unseen aid. 2 systems that directly made the game harder for me.

Unseen aid is just a bonus to not drop your skill points and gold on death. If you're dying over and over to the same boss then what is the difference? And there's still nothing preventing you from farming enemies to make them back.

No mechanics in combat are different on death. It's not like Dark Souls 2 where your maximum HP goes down with each death.