Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Phy posted:

A post about the new Jack Reacher streaming series reminded me of something that just came out of left field from the first Tom Cruise movie. There's a scene where he's casing this crook's house, and two mooks jump him in the bathroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE0oDPBslUs

It's a really slapstick fight, especially for an Overcast 2010s Thriller. And then you realize that one mook is bald, one's got curly red hair, and Tom's got his usual short dark cut.

The movie has been invaded by the Three Stooges, with Tom Cruise as Moe. A lot of the classics are there: the jammed-up door, the accidental face bonk, an eye gouge (no Curly block, sadly, that would have given away the joke), Moe clunking the other two's heads together. Only thing missing is Curly knocking everyone over by turning around while holding a ladder.

This is a genuinely impressive bit of subtle movie moments.

Bravo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

It's the best part of the film tbh.

That and any scenes with Werner Herzog as a German-accented Russian gangster.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

After Dewey Cox butchers That's Amore, the studio guy tells him he has exactly 15 seconds to play a new song and restore his faith in judaism, and from the moment he finishes the sentence, it takes exactly 15 seconds until Dewey strums the first chord of Walk Hard.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Baron von Eevl posted:

But why would a deli-style ticket be leaving the queue-maze?

Go to the DMV some time. It doesn't matter. Everything is terrible. It's designed to make you wait only to find out you need a different form and go back to the beginning. The forms are not at the start of the line, they're at the end of the line. The form to renew a license and the form to request a new license look exactly the same and they are not labeled. The forms for new tabs look like the forms for a permit to hunt trees. Everything is a mess. The staff hates you and they drag rear end on everything. You're called to come to a desk and then they go on break so back to the line with you.

I was at the DMV with a line so long once that people were trading tickets like an Asian betting parlor. "I've got 147! 147 here! I'll trade for a 210! Who's got a 210!" "I've got a 98 and I have to get back to work in 20 minutes but I can be back in two hours, I'll take a 210!" "I've got 220 trading for a 90, who's got a 90!"

The DMV is the worst. They just don't care that people are doing things like that. They don't work hard to clear the line. They don't skip a break and take it 10 minutes later. They just slog away. What the hell are they typing about? Don't they just click the buttons? I've been in customer service, tech support, accounting, and retail. Nothing, and I mean nothing takes as many keystrokes as they are doing when you do anything at the DMV. What the gently caress are they typing? Are they working on their novel?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The pro tier strat is to just go right when they open.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Don’t trust any worker willing to “delay” their break. That’s manager talk right there

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Don’t trust any worker willing to “delay” their break. That’s manager talk right there

:hmmyes:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Weirdly enough the pandemic kinda made going to the DMV in my area easier for a spell, as you had to make appointments in advance so getting poo poo done was relatively quick.

Now that things opened up again it's back to the slog of waiting. Now with people that may be infected sitting right next to you!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I remember getting shepherded by several disney managers with like 120 other europeans to get our social security numbers at a DMV in Orlando in 2011, for work and tax reasons I guess, and I guess disney had called ahead or something and reserved the DMV for the many hours it took to process everyone. But no one had told the 20 or 30 people who were already sitting there, patiently waiting their turn. Looking back I'm amazed no one made a scene. Those people probably just wasted an entire day to go get kicked out from their probably way more important matters so a bunch of extremely privileged european backpackers essentially could get fast tracked.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mostlygray posted:

Go to the DMV some time. It doesn't matter. Everything is terrible. It's designed to make you wait only to find out you need a different form and go back to the beginning. The forms are not at the start of the line, they're at the end of the line. The form to renew a license and the form to request a new license look exactly the same and they are not labeled. The forms for new tabs look like the forms for a permit to hunt trees. Everything is a mess. The staff hates you and they drag rear end on everything. You're called to come to a desk and then they go on break so back to the line with you.

I was at the DMV with a line so long once that people were trading tickets like an Asian betting parlor. "I've got 147! 147 here! I'll trade for a 210! Who's got a 210!" "I've got a 98 and I have to get back to work in 20 minutes but I can be back in two hours, I'll take a 210!" "I've got 220 trading for a 90, who's got a 90!"

The DMV is the worst. They just don't care that people are doing things like that. They don't work hard to clear the line. They don't skip a break and take it 10 minutes later. They just slog away. What the hell are they typing about? Don't they just click the buttons? I've been in customer service, tech support, accounting, and retail. Nothing, and I mean nothing takes as many keystrokes as they are doing when you do anything at the DMV. What the gently caress are they typing? Are they working on their novel?

It was an ambulance/hospital joke.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Biplane posted:

Those people probably just wasted an entire day to go get kicked out from their probably way more important matters so a bunch of extremely privileged european backpackers essentially could get fast tracked.
God bless America :911:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Our DMV had reforms and actually is now quite efficient and has kind people at the windows.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tunicate posted:

Our DMV had reforms and actually is now quite efficient and has kind people at the windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2_MreyKMY

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tunicate posted:

Same here. Years ago, I think sometime in the 90s, our premier (think governor, except for Canadian provinces) set up a provincial office that helps out with anything vehicle related, is also the place that takes care of landlord/tenant issues, and a bunch of other services.

Service New Brunswick is far and away mic better than what I always hear about DMV offices.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Quebec it’s fine because the DMV also sells alcohol.

(you won’t get that if you,don’t live here, sorry.)

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Feb 27, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Aphrodite posted:

I’m Quebec it’s fine because the DMV also sells alcohol.

Who would go to a dmv that doenst live there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

In Quebec it’s fine because the DMV also sells alcohol.

Solid joke, la.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A shitload of DMVs are deliberately as underfunded and mismanaged as possible to make it difficult for poor people and minorities to access basic services and get IDs, incidentally always in areas that require voter ID or try to make it so.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Weirdly enough the pandemic kinda made going to the DMV in my area easier for a spell, as you had to make appointments in advance so getting poo poo done was relatively quick.

Now that things opened up again it's back to the slog of waiting. Now with people that may be infected sitting right next to you!

Massachusetts made it so you had to make appointments at the RMV but then still go in and get a ticket and wait for them to call your number so I showed up like, twenty minutes before my appointment and still waited two hours.

Don't go to the Haymarket RMV is I guess the thrust of my argument here.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Not subtle at all, and probably already brought up in this thread, but in Johnny Mnemonic when he's listing out the products he needs to get the poo poo out of his head, he asks for iPhones.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

spookykid posted:

Not subtle at all, and probably already brought up in this thread, but in Johnny Mnemonic when he's listing out the products he needs to get the poo poo out of his head, he asks for iPhones.

The 1995 film based on the 1981 short story references a product that debuted in 2007?
Do you have a clip for that?

Edit - Oh wait, he says "Thompson eye phones", which he then uses as a VR headset. Because they're eye phones.

Silly Newbie has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Mar 3, 2022

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Silly Newbie posted:

The 1995 film based on the 1981 short story references a product that debuted in 2007?
Do you have a clip for that?

Edit - Oh wait, he says "Thompson eye phones", which he then uses as a VR headset. Because they're eye phones.

Looking deeper, some of the major streaming sites that have the movie sub it as iPhone, and some sub it as Eye-Phones.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's definitely "eyephones" in the book, a play on earphones. See also that Beastie Boys song where they call headphones "ear goggles", I guess :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

William Gibson really liked the concept of eyephones, because he used them a lot in the Sprawl trilogy when describing how a hacker logged into cyberspace. He didn't know much about computers, but it didn't matter.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Philippe posted:

William Gibson really liked the concept of eyephones, because he used them a lot in the Sprawl trilogy when describing how a hacker logged into cyberspace. He didn't know much about computers, but it didn't matter.

It's always been amazing how many concepts Gibson accurately predicted entirely by accident or luck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Silly Newbie posted:

It's always been amazing how many concepts Gibson accurately predicted entirely by accident or luck.

And yet when I look out of my hotel window there are never beautiful naked people hanggliding past the building.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just you wait until someone actually does an AR Dead River Phoenix Outside The Viper Room (with skin sampled from a Vietnamese child), then who'll be laughing, huh?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
that's a lot of words that I do not understand in that order

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Mauser posted:

that's a lot of words that I do not understand in that order

If I'm understanding it (and I might not be), "AR" is "augmented reality." The rest of it probably reads oddly if you don't know who River Phoenix was (and there's very little reason you would if you're not old-ish), because "River Phoenix" is kind of an unusual name.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

If I'm understanding it (and I might not be), "AR" is "augmented reality." The rest of it probably reads oddly if you don't know who River Phoenix was (and there's very little reason you would if you're not old-ish), because "River Phoenix" is kind of an unusual name.

Also, he died in or outside of Johnny Depp's club, the Viper Room.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

beats for junkies posted:

It means assault rifle, as in AR-15, actually

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: River Phoenix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJGvmBiNiDY

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I had this stuck in my head since that first post brought him up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
William Gibson wrote a book set in the then-contemporary mid 2000s that involved geocoded AR installations. The one that introduces the idea to the protagonist is a detailed render of River Phoenix's body in the spot where he died. The creator says they had a hard time getting his skin to look right, but eventually used photographic samples of a Vietnamese child.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, he died in or outside of Johnny Depp's club, the Viper Room.

I deleted "and the Viper Room is a club where he did drugs and died" from the post because I figure if anyone had been unaware of River Phoenix and looked him up, they'd find out what the Viper Room was, too.

Also, my hands keep wanting to type Rover Phoenix, and that just makes me think of the Simpsons' Rover Hendrix gag, but with River's poofy 80s hair instead of the bandana.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have a photo of Danny Trejo walking over that spot outside the Viper Room

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Silly Newbie posted:

Someone is going to marry an NFT, mark my words.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Inzombiac posted:

And yet when I look out of my hotel window there are never beautiful naked people hanggliding past the building.

You're not staying in high end enough hotels. Remember, that spot was for the richest of the rich, and I absolutely believe there's a place on earth where that's happening in our capitalist hellscape.

Philippe posted:

I mean, https://mainichi.jp/english/article...%20controversy.

Silly Newbie has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Mar 4, 2022

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Philippe posted:

I hate that you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Philippe posted:

there was a creepy website that generated unique waifus for nerds a couple years back