Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I can genuinely not imagine how loving sheltered you need to be to think Big Titty Conan Pocahontas is a remotely okay idea.

Sheltered enough to be a white dude who wrote a comic called Scalped set in a reservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vincent posted:

Sheltered enough to be a white dude who wrote a comic called Scalped set in a reservation.

I was trying to google some reactions to Scalped and it's theme except from some reviews and such.

I remember reading it and really enjoying it but I enjoy crime comics/stories, especially those in settings not really explored in mainstream comics. I would say that it definitely didn't have a positive view of reservation life, but then again Reservation Dogs probably doesn't have the most beautiful view of reservation life either. I will say, and this is just my own opinion so take that for whatever, that it does have a respect for the characters and life on the reservation. All the characters, even the "bad" characters, are drawn out as three dimensional people with their beauties and flaws on display. No one does a bad criminal act because they are a bad criminal person. The main character is filled with self loathing and hatred of his character that is very typical of someone who has lived under an oppressed culture that comes from colonialism.
Aaron said that his idea was to write a crime comic in a new setting and that he did his research as much as possible, and was inspired to write the story by Leonard Peltier. All that being said, for a guy who researched and read about the native experience, who wrote a comic that has themes of colonialism and oppression, this whole thing is a real stupid move.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jason Aaron put out a statement

quote:

In KING CONAN #3, I made the ill-considered decision to give a character the name of Matoaka, a name most closely associated with the real-life Native American figure, Pocahontas. This new character is a supernatural, thousand-year-old princess of a cursed island within a world of pastiche and dark fantasy and was never intended to be based on anyone from history. I should have better understood the name's true meaning and resonance and recognized it wasn't appropriate to use it. I understand the outrage expressed by those who hold the true Matoaka's legacy dear, and for all of this and the distress it's caused, I apologize. As part of that apology, I've already taken what I was paid for the issue and donated it to the National Indigenous Women's Resource Center. The character's name and appearance will be adjusted for the rest of this mini-series and in all digital and collected editions.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

See, that's owning your mistake and then moving to address the issue asap. Aaron doesn't seem like a bad faith actor here, just a guy who should've known better and made a thoughtless mistake.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Yeah, he has a bit of a history with being a little clumsy with loaded phrases/imagery (the GamerGate reference in his Thor run pissed off Zoe Quinn). But he doesn't seem like a bad dude at all.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Yeah, he has a bit of a history with being a little clumsy with loaded phrases/imagery (the GamerGate reference in his Thor run pissed off Zoe Quinn). But he doesn't seem like a bad dude at all.

That panel's from Al Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asgard, not Jason Aaron's Thor.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Oh poo poo!

My mistake!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/comicsgateLs/status/1499547509072482309

To quote the Bard, "LOL. LMAO."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm almost finished my book.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I would feel bad for the people who bought the book but I’ve talked to people who bought the book and they’ve all been horrible.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was getting the mail one day and I saw one of my new neighbors get a box of books from All Caps Comics in the mail, it was the first time I didn’t want to talk with someone about comics.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think it's very funny that EVS admits that he has used up all the money even though he hasn't delivered the product yet. It's a tacit admission of his inability to manage his funds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He had action figures to buy and destroy, you can't expect him to work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
EVS is absolutely a poo poo person grifting off people, but it's also kinda dumb to expect a refund this late.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If the person wasn't a big dumb idiot he wouldn't be a comicsgate guy supporting evs

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Joe Fisto posted:

I would feel bad for the people who bought the book but I’ve talked to people who bought the book and they’ve all been horrible.

I don't feel bad for them. gently caress 'em. They knew who and what they were supporting.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

This is for a huge TPB/graphic novel, right? Surely it hasn’t taken him more than two years to produce a single 22-page comic book?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's difficult to be a full-time Twitter troll, culture warrior, and working artist simultaneously.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

This is for a huge TPB/graphic novel, right? Surely it hasn’t taken him more than two years to produce a single 22-page comic book?

The Cyberfrog books were only 48 pages at most so not huge and certainly should have been done long before now. It's probably here we remind folks EVS didn't get fired just for his lovely views but also he couldn't hit a deadline to save his life. Now that he has no editorial oversight at all, it's not shocking he's even worse.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Skwirl posted:

EVS is absolutely a poo poo person grifting off people, but it's also kinda dumb to expect a refund this late.

But you never actually know when these Gaters are actually going to release a book. Wasn't this supposed to come out over a year ago?

God what a racket EVS and these other assholes have. Pay me for books that never come out pay pigs!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Give me some cash please. I promise I will (checks notes) "own the sjws" at some time in the future, yet to be determined.

Also: FREEDOM!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't his second wife leave him? Divorces are expensive.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Didn't his second wife leave him? Divorces are expensive.

Did that really happen? I guess it makes sense why he's dyeing his beard now then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dunno, I saw some crap on FB last year.

Incidentally, the "Gem Mint" collectors group is full of chuds and CGers, don't bother with it.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

But you never actually know when these Gaters are actually going to release a book. Wasn't this supposed to come out over a year ago?

God what a racket EVS and these other assholes have. Pay me for books that never come out pay pigs!

It’s amazing how much disposable income they have when it comes to triggering the SJWs.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

Incidentally, the "Gem Mint" collectors group is full of chuds and CGers, don't bother with it.

I wish I could say this surprised me, but Mr Gem Mint himself did a review of the Cyberfrog omnibus at some point last year. I've been a little cautious of him and his broader sphere ever since then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

I wish I could say this surprised me, but Mr Gem Mint himself did a review of the Cyberfrog omnibus at some point last year. I've been a little cautious of him and his broader sphere ever since then.

It's the most toxicity I've ever encountered on FB. Very pro CG and there's a constant bitching about "wokeness".

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Rhyno posted:

I dunno, I saw some crap on FB last year.

This is true but it is also the only FB group (or any online group) that I have ever been kicked out of (for clowning Chris Pratt and mentioning his hosed up church)

Gem Mint also interviewed EVS I think

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hippo posted:

This is true but it is also the only FB group (or any online group) that I have ever been kicked out of (for clowning Chris Pratt and mentioning his hosed up church)

Gem Mint also interviewed EVS I think

I saw like the 50th post about wokism or Brie Larsen so I just quit the group. Whole lotta guys who probably belong on a watchlist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I saw like the 50th post about wokism or Brie Larsen so I just quit the group. Whole lotta guys who probably belong on a watchlist.

I joined the Gem Mint group just for a place to buy, sell, trade, and talk comics, but I quit before long, once I found out how ugly and toxic the discourse was there. The only Facebook group I've ever found that was worse was the G.I. Joe Classified action figure collector group, where one local guy challenged me to a fight (over absolutely nothing), and everyone bragged about hassling and threatening Target employees. Quit there too, of course.

The only comic-related places I go are here (by far the best), the Omnibuds Cafe Facebook group (even though I don't collect Omnibus editions, so I don't have anything anyone wants), and the CBR forums, which are difficult to get this level of discussion going in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't even with CBR at all these days. So much of their content is just "DID BATMAN JUST SETUP LOTR IN THE DCEU" crap.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rhyno posted:

I can't even with CBR at all these days. So much of their content is just "DID BATMAN JUST SETUP LOTR IN THE DCEU" crap.

End of DC Rebirth #1 but Batman finds the One Ring instead of the Comedian’s button in the cave wall.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I did a few months' work at the related site GameRant, and yeah, it's 100% content mill with no care taken about focus or value. It's depressing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That’s why I only join explicitly leftist comic groups. Once in a while someone joins and complains about wokeness and just gets dog piled, it’s very cathartic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I joined the Gem Mint group just for a place to buy, sell, trade, and talk comics, but I quit before long, once I found out how ugly and toxic the discourse was there. The only Facebook group I've ever found that was worse was the G.I. Joe Classified action figure collector group, where one local guy challenged me to a fight (over absolutely nothing), and everyone bragged about hassling and threatening Target employees. Quit there too, of course.

I've heard some Targets stopped carrying Classified because they didn't want to deal with the abusive scalper types.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some Targets have armed security now. Toy and card collectors are nuts.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The co-owner of a local game/collectible store here in Washington state, Pink Gorilla, was talking on Twitter last year about how card scalpers had gotten so endemic that her distributor was trying to scalp Pokemon cards to her.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Opopanax posted:

That’s why I only join explicitly leftist comic groups. Once in a while someone joins and complains about wokeness and just gets dog piled, it’s very cathartic.

I hear that.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I don’t work for the retail end of my company but I vaguely remember glancing at some internal message about Pokemon cards and choosing not to carry them at all the stores because of how toxic resellers are. Currently there’s a couple of boxes of repacked cards (I guess a third party is allowed to put together extras or something?) on a peg and the packaging barely indicates it’s Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

When I was doing serious hunts for Classified stuff I also ran into the Hot Wheels types who were almost next level. Extremely joyless, doughy men in their 40's who were Very Angry Indeed they couldn't find their little toy cars.