Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vorenus posted:

Thanks for the translation! I was highly suspect of the ethnic conflict narrative, but I wasn't aware of the mentioned images from a few days back.

Nothing to do with ethnic conflict there, just ugly opportunism. Contrary to Kremlin’s propaganda, an assload of Ukrainians enjoy going about their days in Russian. Not the least their president himself, who comes from a Russian-speaking family, as I recall it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JerikTelorian posted:

At least in my neck of the woods there is a long running story that Farmers are paid a lot of money to keep fields fallow and keep prices up through artificial scarcity. What (if anything) is the truth in this? I'm sure there are subsidies of a kind.

this USED to be true in the united states but hasn't been true for at least 25 years

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's subdued, for now, and should it be come un-subdued, you think Tokayev has suddenly developed the capability to subdue it again without help?

Russia is in no place to help right now and even if they could, their help might instead hurt. And there is option B: China

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ciprian Maricon posted:

grid squares work on a multiple of 10, the original poster can correct me if wrong but i understood 8 digit coordinates to define a 10 meter box on a map, 6, digits 100, etc

Yeah, I think they just typo'd. In MGRS, 8 gets you to 10 meters. 10 digits, 1 meter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

Russia is in no place to help right now and even if they could, their help might instead hurt. And there is option B: China

That and Russia, if they were smart, would use Kazakhstan to launder funds/parts/etc so I don't know that risking having them cut off to get more military resources for a flagging invasion is a smart idea.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

uXs posted:

I've been thinking about that. How would you physically do it? He's presumably very well protected in normal times, the security at this point has to be insane.

probably can't be done, the group of guys closest to him depend on him too much and probably can't physically reach him with a gun or anything without getting killed themselves. if a bunch of military guys turn on him all at once and march on moscow or something that might do it, but that's very unlikely. revolutions like in egypt only succeed in making the leader run away if the army turns on him at the same time

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Which usually means they are extremely closeted.

Any argument that asserts gay people out or otherwise are the cause of homophobia is a bad one, imo.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This program is actually used by farmers to get payments for land that's too wet, steep, rocky, full of clay, or otherwise too poo poo to be planted anyway fyi

Edit to expand:
Those numbers include all agricultural land, of which cropland is a subset - 250 million cropland to 897 million agricultural land. The states that have the most acres in red also have the most agricultural land in general

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 3, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sekenr posted:

OMG I didn't notice that its you Marjorian posting.

Hi! Someone gave me a homophobic redtext, which is always super cool.

quote:

Russia treaties mean trash right now, especially to former russian empire nations, favour to Putin is laughable. He helped, and now in no place to punish for promises broken. Or help if sanctions wrath will fall upon you if you make a move supporting Russia. There is absolutely nothing for KZ to gain supporting Russia and hell to lose.

Again, I'm not saying they're necessarily going to follow Russia into Ukraine. I don't know, nobody but the decision-makers in Kazakhstan probably know. But given how closely the two countries are tied together economically, militarily, and diplomatically, hypothesizing that there's a major split between the two countries strikes me as wishful thinking. They're not going to try to blow up the SCO, Eurasian Economic Union, CSTO, and all the other multilateral organizations they're both part of over this.

Sekenr posted:

China is likewise not going to blow up the multilateral trade and security organizations it's part of with Russia and Kazakhstan by trying to peel the latter off of the former.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I remember a significant stretch of time where RT was making extremely effective inroads towards propaganda broadcast on social media, including through some silent subsidiaries that were similar in tone and operation to NowThis. It was the same general policy procedure: detail american issues effecting marginalized populations, play-act concern over these marginalized communities, but do so with no real intent to advance their cause but rather to advance social discord and make life worse for everyone involved.

It created really patternable systems of HOW they would define and broadcast issues like racism or homophobia, especially considering that it was ultimately being utilized for the benefit of a homophobic regime that could give a poo poo about us queers in actuality. So they'd go at it a certain way that was sure to increase antagonism both ways, including from the right wing towards queer communities.

They got a lot more subtle about it later on, but around the same time I noticed a general down-trend in the saturation of such stories on Facebook anyway. I don't remember if it was associated with decisions by Facebook to start tagging state-affiliated media or start carefully picking who they handed the revenue-generation megaphone to.

It felt like (or maybe did?) like they were also trying to make inroads to things like gas station pump tv.

Anyway, they were absolutely bullshit so I'll take it

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Is this expulsion going to have any kind of bite? I don't know poo poo about naval stuff. Note Belarus is also expelled though they only had observer status

https://twitter.com/EuropeanPravda/status/1499495818843279363?t=SyOZ03GlQNXUxhKFs4Qt4w&s=19

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

KitConstantine posted:

This program is actually used by farmers to get payments for land that's too wet, steep, rocky, full of clay, or otherwise too poo poo to be planted anyway fyi

Yeah, but I think it's the closest that the US has to any kind of "we'll pay you not to plant" program these days, and it's come up in oNlInE conversations lately about how the US can potentially respond to an historic global wheat shortage.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

DOOMocrat posted:

Any argument that asserts gay people out or otherwise are the cause of homophobia is a bad one, imo.
I don't think anyone is saying that? It's just not uncommon for an adamantly anti-gay person to be gay themselves.

But anyway, this has nothing to do with this situation, sorry for being in the derail.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 3, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anubis posted:

The poll referenced was specifically about reunification with Romania, not joining the EU.

I was responding to your last sentence about EU support, which Moldova could get by joining the EU but not NATO. Or just by negotiation without joining, for that matter. This whole conversation is about why Moldova being part of NATO isn't a great idea right now. The EU is another matter.

Anubis posted:

If Russia doesn't recognize it and says they have no interest in doing so maybe their troops can just GTFO then.

They've been able to leave for 2030 years and haven't, so that's reality.

Anubis posted:

Who knows if they wanna annex it, we don't even know if they really wanna annex all of Ukraine. What we know is they're threatening invasion when it's already an important land boarder for getting refuges from the main crisis out.

Most of the crossings from Ukraine to Moldova pass through Transnistria*, the region that I just told you has Russian troops on it. Ramping up tensions there doesn't seem like it would help anyone's security.

*I don't know how many Ukrainians are actually crossing through Transnistria. I imagine most are avoiding it but it's a substantial detour to the north, unless they're coming from Odessa and sticking to the south. News says that it's taking 24h to get from Odessa to Moldova now.

Anubis posted:

I was referring to Finland and Sweden as those were the NORTHERN non-nato countries that have been getting the sabers rattled at them and have been talked about extensively in this thread, that you are currently posting in.

How am I supposed to know that 'northern territories' refers to Finland and Sweden? Post more clearly if you don't want to be misunderstood.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sekenr posted:

Why would China try to peel off the Kazakhs and risk pissing off Russia when they can wait around and get the whole Russian bloc as a client, for free?

Edit: Tokayev literally does not have any other choices. And the Russians could easily intervene on the same scale again with a couple BTGs. It's not like all of their conventional forces are suddenly on the Ukranian border. DoD briefing indicated no movement of additional reserves or reinforcements in to theater.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Nothing to do with ethnic conflict there, just ugly opportunism. Contrary to Kremlin’s propaganda, an assload of Ukrainians enjoy going about their days in Russian. Not the least their president himself, who comes from a Russian-speaking family, as I recall it.

[the jewish democratically elected president of ukraine speaking in russian]: as a nazi, i cannot wait to purge these perfidious, irredeemable russian-speakers

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1499423167630090255?s=20&t=aU3Ql0RQV8LOXc8qMDgtFQ

Again, Russia has thrown away so much soft power in this invasion, and then trashed the very image of them as a major military power.

This is both amazing and depressing.
Joining the EU but not NATO. Smart.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

dominoeffect posted:

Cool! Appreciate you sharing the military perspectives, I really enjoy reading them. Two questions for you: 1) How accurate are 8-digit grid coordinates if 10-digit ones are +/- 10m? 2) I do wonder how useful sending recon squads into Kharkiv like a couple of days ago is? I see what you're saying, but I would imagine that russians would have known that Kharkiv is well-defended and wouldn't send a couple squads to their death, would they?

Wikipedia to the rescue. 8-digit grids are accurate to +/- 10m2; 10-digit are accurate to +/- 1m2.

I'm glad you appreciate the posts. I can't help but worry they could come across as speculative voyeurism or something like that, but it's hard not to have a professional interest in this conflict. Such professional interest doesn't detract from the very real heartbreak I feel for the Ukrainian people. This whole thing is just awful.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Is this expulsion going to have any kind of bite? I don't know poo poo about naval stuff. Note Belarus is also expelled though they only had observer status

https://twitter.com/EuropeanPravda/status/1499495818843279363?t=SyOZ03GlQNXUxhKFs4Qt4w&s=19

I wasn't familiar with it until now, but I'm guessing not:

quote:

The Council of the Baltic Sea States (CBSS) is a regional intergovernmental organisation working on three priority areas: Regional Identity, Safe & Secure Region and Sustainable & Prosperous Region. These three priority areas aim to address the themes of sustainable development, environment, sustainable maritime economy, education, labour, culture, youth engagement, civil security, children's rights and trafficking in human beings.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Yeah, but I think it's the closest that the US has to any kind of "we'll pay you not to plant" program these days, and it's come up in oNlInE conversations lately about how the US can potentially respond to an historic global wheat shortage.

All that tells me is a lot of people are really loving ignorant about farming. Which I already knew.

Including the edit to my above post here:

Edit to expand:
Those numbers include all agricultural land, of which cropland is a subset - 250 million cropland to 897 million agricultural land. The states that have the most acres in red also have the most agricultural land in general

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 3, 2022

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Inviting Jill Stein to dinner once still paying major dividends for GRU disinfo campaigns.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/DOJNatSec/status/1499469342962032640

Very, very interesting news here. The first of I assume many that is going to come.

*EDIT* He is an ex-Fox News/Sean Hannity producer as well because of course he is....

Djarum fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 3, 2022

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Neither can join NATO, Moldova is constitutionally prohibited and Georgia is under occupation.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Dante posted:

Neither can join NATO, Moldova is constitutionally prohibited and Georgia is under occupation.

Moldova is also under occupation, there is Russian troops in the breakaway region.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Eh, he may view EU neighbors as equally threatening. I'm sure he does, actually. Close neighbors prospering independent of Mother Russia's dry busom, is to Mr. Putin, tautologically equivalent to the cultural extinction of his version of Russia.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Pardon my ignorance but does EU membership actually come with a formalized defense treaty, or is it implied? Because if it's implied, it doesn't seem worth much. e: Militarily, obviously it does economically.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 3, 2022

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Wikipedia to the rescue. 8-digit grids are accurate to +/- 10m2; 10-digit are accurate to +/- 1m2.

I'm glad you appreciate the posts. I can't help but worry they could come across as speculative voyeurism or something like that, but it's hard not to have a professional interest in this conflict. Such professional interest doesn't detract from the very real heartbreak I feel for the Ukrainian people. This whole thing is just awful.

Oh cool, thanks for the wikipedia page. Didn't know much about this stuff.

In other news, Rubio has put out a couple of interesting tweets today: https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1499480362522660880 and https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1499487368411332612

Edit: Don't know anything about this person, but the news shouldn't be shocking: https://twitter.com/cornubot/status/1499474679370764294

dominoeffect fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 3, 2022

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DOOMocrat posted:

Pardon my ignorance but does EU membership actually come with a formalized defense treaty, or is it implied? Because if it's implied, it doesn't seem worth much. e: Militarily, obviously it does economically.

There is a mutual defence clause. Article 47.2.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why would China try to peel off the Kazakhs and risk pissing off Russia when they can wait around and get the whole Russian bloc as a client, for free?

Edit: Tokayev literally does not have any other choices. And the Russians could easily intervene on the same scale again with a couple BTGs. It's not like all of their conventional forces are suddenly on the Ukranian border. DoD briefing indicated no movement of additional reserves or reinforcements in to theater.

Why is there an argument about this if they said they are neutral. no way in hell will Kazakhstan send anyone to die in Ukraine to achieve condemnation by the rest of the world. Even fucken Belaris is resisting

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Djarum posted:

https://twitter.com/DOJNatSec/status/1499469342962032640

Very, very interesting news here. The first of I assume many that is going to come.

*EDIT* He is an ex-Fox News/Sean Hannity producer as well because of course he is....

:lol:

Oh please do go on

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Not related to the thread, but still, as an old PolToons poster, this is just too funny to me. lmao get hosed ted rall

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Discendo Vox posted:

The end of RT is fantastic; the question is whether there can be similar moves against the under-the-table funded propaganda entities that are used for the same purpose.

There are enough fascist pillow salesmen, reverse mortgage lenders and gold brokers in the US looking for easy marks to keep Fox News on-air until the heat death of the universe.

As for the others…

Celexi posted:

Wasn't there some talk a while ago how newsmax was Russian funded?

Haven’t heard that about Newsmax, but there’s been a lot of questioning around who initially funded OANN.

All three are the subject of a massive defamation lawsuit over the 2020 elections. Fox News will be fine regardless but the potential damages could be enough to sink the other two.

DOOMocrat posted:

EU does have a defense agreement - binding as well, so my understanding is it’s not just a “here’s some Javelins, good luck” sort of deal like we’re seeing now.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

There is a mutual defense clause, but its a bit of a catch 22, if you're interested in EU membership because of something like an aggressive neighbor and a disputed border, you don't get to join. Lots of nations have been in limbo for years because the E.U. doesn't want the defense clause to be a reason it immediately has to run to the support of a new member country.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What does joining the EU specifically gain?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Turns out Chinese bankers can be as pragmatic as Western bankers regarding risk.

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1499480051355635712?cxt=HHwWgMCyjbDKnM8pAAAA

It's extraordinary watching the real-time dissolution of Russia. Every shell they lob has a corresponding equivalent that lands in Moscow.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Who holds Hostomel right now?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

There is indeed a mutual defense clause in the Lisbon Treaty. The problem, of course, is that both Moldova and Georgia are engaged in ongoing territorial disputes. While (as cinci informed me a couple weeks back in this very thread) that doesn't automatically preclude a country from acceding to the EU, it makes it more likely that the same countries that would veto NATO membership for Georgia and Moldova would also veto them joining the EU.

e: my goodness, someone keeps spending money on me.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

cr0y posted:

What does joining the EU specifically gain?

Trade and freedom of movement. You joint the 2nd biggest trading block in the world essentially.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Who holds Hostomel right now?

Good question. There's been fighting there all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the popes toes posted:

Turns out Chinese bankers can be as pragmatic as Western bankers regarding risk.

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1499480051355635712?cxt=HHwWgMCyjbDKnM8pAAAA

It's extraordinary watching the real-time dissolution of Russia. Every shell they lob has a corresponding equivalent that lands in Moscow.

China is pissed because while they may support Russia government wise, Russia touched the goose that lays the golden egg: The economy. And that's a no-no.