Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ohio-ness gets overpowered by any other culture in about ten minutes, it's like tofu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Invisible Clergy posted:

It's called "weaponized incompetence." It's an abuse tactic that comes up pretty often amongst the villains in these posts.

I’m a few pages behind but ime an early tell with this are people who refuse to take responsibility for their own healthcare/automotive/banking/etc. The boring adult poo poo we all have to sort out and kinda sucks but we still gotta do. These days there’s multiple solutions for keeping track of this stuff - apps, texts, calls, reminders, keeping a handwritten calendar like my mom still does because it works for her - but the kind of people who weaponize incompetence will claim to just not understand how basic text messaging or a phone app work and demand the employees do every little step for them, or blame the business for screwing something up. It’s kind of like seeing how people treat waitstaff informs their character.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i would watch a movie about a frenchman in cincinnati. it would either be a hilarious slapstick comedy or an andy warhol type thing where he takes one bite of the chili and weeps in the corner for 2hr 45min

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ever read a title and say :wtc:?
AITA for locking our bedroom from the inside after my husband locked me in from the outside?

quote:

Our bedroom has two locks; the regular key lock (both sides) and a barrel bolt (inside only).

We had an unexpected and unwelcome late-night guest (my husband’s friend). I wanted to kick him out but my husband said he needed to speak to him for 5 minutes about something important. I told him to talk to him elsewhere and not inside the house. He kept insisting it would just be 5 minutes and asked me to wait in our room. I said no and I was going to go and ask the friend to leave but my husband ended up locking me inside of our bedroom.

I was really angry and I told him to let me out but he left after telling me he would only be 5 minutes. He never came back after 5 minutes and I was getting angrier every second. Over an hour later I decided to just go to sleep and I locked the door with the barrel bolt.

I fell asleep before he came back and when he did, he was knocking and telling me to open the door, I did wake up but I ignored him.

He knows I’m a light sleeper so in the morning we had a fight over it and he was angry since I ruined his usual routine as he had to wait over 2 hours for me to wake up/unlock the door to get his things.

Comment:

quote:

NTA byt what did they talk about and why were you so profondly against the friend coming in for a quick chat?

OP:

quote:

That friend bullied my best friend into an abortion which has destroyed and devastated her.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I thought we weren't supposed to post stories of abuse here. That's domestic abuse and forcible confinement besides.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 3, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ugh double post thanks to app

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

moonmazed posted:

i would watch a movie about a frenchman in cincinnati. it would either be a hilarious slapstick comedy or an andy warhol type thing where he takes one bite of the chili and weeps in the corner for 2hr 45min

It doesn't have to be the chili. It could be Montgomery Inn's boiled ribs.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

moonmazed posted:

second one would probably be one of my favorite movies 'cuz i'm loving insufferable like that

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend that her hometown sucks and that I don't want to live here anymore?

Based on the description I was afraid this was going to be St. Louis, which I guess says something about the general state of Midwestern cities.

they definitely are cheap though

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I guessed Kansas City myself.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Based on the description I was afraid this was going to be St. Louis, which I guess says something about the general state of Midwestern cities.

they definitely are cheap though

Based on his reference of Paris and Madrid I assumed just about any US city except the two he named and those without snow was likely. I was internally coming to terms thst it might be my city.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If you live in a major metropolitan city and end up in a long distance relationship with a random tourist you probably don’t have much going on in your own life, at least not enough to be complaining about living in a less interesting city.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've heard that some of those Midwestern cities are cool, because not every interesting person in the Midwest has the resources to move to NYC or LA.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

moonmazed posted:

Maybe he could become a DJ for a radio station in Cincinnati, like WKRP or something...

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Slo-Tek posted:

With some considerable regularity, I meet people in Seattle, or Austin, or Chicago who are interesting, pleasant, humble, and funny as gently caress, and obviously Happy people. Happy with where they are, happy with what they have accomplished, generally good company. With startling regularity, they are people from Ohio. And they are without exception people who don't live in Ohio any more.

No relationship is worth living in Cincinnati when you have any alternatives at all.

I know lots of people in Columbus from Cincinnati and Cleveland. I've never known anyone that moved to either Cleveland or Cincinnati. I actually don't know how Cleveland still has a median age below 40.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Maybe he could become a DJ for a radio station in Cincinnati, like WKRP or something...

Nom de Dieu, je croyais que les dindes pouvaient voler.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I’m a few pages behind but ime an early tell with this are people who refuse to take responsibility for their own healthcare/automotive/banking/etc. The boring adult poo poo we all have to sort out and kinda sucks but we still gotta do. These days there’s multiple solutions for keeping track of this stuff - apps, texts, calls, reminders, keeping a handwritten calendar like my mom still does because it works for her - but the kind of people who weaponize incompetence will claim to just not understand how basic text messaging or a phone app work and demand the employees do every little step for them, or blame the business for screwing something up. It’s kind of like seeing how people treat waitstaff informs their character.

I used to be really loving useless, and then I almost got fired even though I was trying really hard, and it turns out I just have really bad ADD. So my doctor gave me an Adderall prescription over a virtual appointment and now I make appointments, put poo poo on my calendar, cook more complicated things, and can actually make shopping lists, and just generally remember things. Oh, and I can actually do my job too.

I draw the line at most automotive stuff though. My car's battery just died and I realized it was waaaay in the back, so that the negative terminal is actually under the dashboard and the positive is just barely peeking out. I'd have to do some serious dismantling if I didn't want to pay someone to get the battery out. A lot of automotive stuff is like that now, so that's just something the average person can't do themselves anymore.

I feel like its a combination of people using ADD as an excuse, and people being absolutely adamant that they don't have it. Its probably MUCH more prevalent than people think.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

European moves to US, is stunned that our highest culture achievement is the astonishing amount of asphalt we've managed to lay. US cities exist on a spectrum of walkability and mass transit somewhere between "downright awful" and "sidewalks are a sin".

But then add on to that he's in Ohio, and tbh, the girlfriend is an rear end in a top hat for convincing him to move there.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

8one6 posted:

I guessed Kansas City myself.

The Paris of the Midwest!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Based on his reference of Paris and Madrid I assumed just about any US city except the two he named and those without snow was likely. I was internally coming to terms thst it might be my city.

Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are all reasonably on the list of "US cities comparable to international population centers" if his reference points are Miami, New York, London, Paris, and Madrid.

e: And these US metro areas account for over 20% of the population. You're not spoiled for choice in the US if urban life is the goal.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 3, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are all reasonably on the list of "US cities comparable to international population centers" if his reference points are Miami and New York.

definitely not Los Angeles lol

it's basically Phoenix or Dallas with a beach

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

definitely not Los Angeles lol

it's basically Phoenix or Dallas with a beach

Have you been to Miami?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Have you been to Miami?

no I have not been to Florida, but if you are implying that it is bad, I believe it

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for "imposing my culture" even though I thought I was just being nice?

quote:

Even though I (23f) am American, my parents are immigrants and therefore I have a different cultural upbringing than most. One thing that was hammered into my head from a young age was to always, always bring a small gift when visiting anyone's house. It doesn't matter if it's family or friends or that one person you kind of know but don't really like, bringing something is a must.

My bf (28m) and I have been dating for almost 4 years now and since we both work from home he suggested we make dinner with his parents a weekly thing since we haven't been able to see each other much for obvious reasons. I love his parents, so obviously I agreed! Every week I made sure to bring something small to show my appreciation for them cooking for us (always using my own money); a small bottle of wine, their favorite dessert, some flowers etc. and they always thanked me for it. This has been going on for a few months and absolutely didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until yesterday when my bf and I were preparing to head over.

I'd gotten a cute vase of daffodils since luckily I'd found some in bloom and my bf's mom really loves them, but my bf suddenly got really mad and asked why I kept bringing stuff over every week like his parents were "a charity case". Honestly I got super confused and asked him what the problem was and that I've always done this with everyone including his friends since we met. That it was a cultural thing but then he got even madder and told me to stop imposing my culture on everyone and it's weird since I'm white. At that point I didn't feel like going anywhere with him and just gave him the flowers and went for a walk while he drove over to dinner by himself.

After he came home he still had the flowers which he gave to me and told me he was sorry but his parents really were super annoyed with me constantly bringing stuff over like they can't take care of themselves, and later on I got a text from his dad asking me to not come over for dinner anymore. Now my bf's giving me the cold shoulder unless I give his parents a huge apology, but I really, truly don't feel like I'm in the wrong for trying to be nice to them. AITA?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

no I have not been to Florida, but if you are implying that it is bad, I believe it

Miami is a fine city on its own, but if it's being presented as a city in the US that's acceptable by Paris/London standards it doesn't offer anything Los Angeles doesn't.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Miami is a fine city on its own, but if it's being presented as a city in the US that's acceptable by Paris/London standards it doesn't offer anything Los Angeles doesn't.

one of his major complaints was you have to drive everywhere, so that pretty much eliminates L.A.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the dad has a tiny little weiner

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

one of his major complaints was you have to drive everywhere, so that pretty much eliminates L.A.

the dad has a tiny little weiner

It might help to understand the qualifications that put Miami on the list, but if it's a half-assed public transport system limited to the downtown core, warm ocean water nearby, and presence of immigrants then it's check, check, and check for LA.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This reminds me of that episode of The Sopranos when Tony gets super-pissed at Meadow's boyfriend for offering to pay for their meal together.

Also I'm betting boyfriend cheated or otherwise did something heinous and is trying to make the breakup about her.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nom de Dieu, je croyais que les dindes pouvaient voler.

Tres bien, mon ami.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

There was some international bank commercial where groups from 2 different cultures where one side considered it the height of rudeness to leave food on their plate and the other considered your guest not leaving a few bites left over to be the mark of failing as a host with the ensuing hilarity.

I guess advertising works because random stories about culture clashes still remind me of that.

Whatever bank it was. I don’t remember that part.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So the boyfriend is definitely lying to the OP. But is he also lying to his parents? I'd love to find out why the parents decided she's no longer welcome to dinner.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Smirking_Serpent posted:

gently caress that is sad.

I'm a little squirrely about gifts. Don't feel right about the way I accept them, don't want them in the first place, but a bottle of wine or some cut flowers from somebody who is coming to dinner with you is something that there is plenty of cultural and social programming for even here in the wild wild frontiers of America.

These people are dicks, and they are picking a particularly miserable and pointless way to demonstrate it.

Possible that they are working the "we are family, why are you treating us like we are on a first date" angle, but doesn't sound like it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It sounds like this woman is bringing over extremely normal hostess gifts, but the reference to "treating them like charity cases" makes me imagine her bringing, like, a box of pantry staples and a bag of Goodwill clothes every time she visits. Driving up with a pallet of Super Bowl Champion t-shirts from the losing team

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tobermory posted:

So the boyfriend is definitely lying to the OP. But is he also lying to his parents? I'd love to find out why the parents decided she's no longer welcome to dinner.

She’s a POC parents aren’t.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA-I need a special diet and I’m bringing my own meals on a family vacation.

quote:

This is something that is bugging me. I have severe GERD and Barrett’s esophagus disease. Because of this I prepare VERY bland meals for myself. I will make my family normal meals. We are taking a multi family vacation this summer and I plan on making and freezing my own meals for the trip. It’s usually steamed or grilled meat and some fresh veggies. Here’s the problem: My in-laws LOVE to cook. We’re all from the New Orleans area and grew up cooking with all the spices and yummies that go with it. My extended family is saying there’s nothing wrong with me, I’m just picky and a drama Queen. They’re telling me it’s rude to not eat what everyone else is eating. Here’s the thing-if I DO eat that it will take days to weeks to get my system back to normal and deal with the pain. It’s miserable. Immediate family can see both sides but will back whatever I decide to do.

Would I be TA for bringing my own frozen prepared meals? Or should I suck it up?

"Both sides"

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I would bet money it's more:
"Son how come you never bring your mom flowers like Cool Girlfriend does?"
"Because I am not made of money, jeez! She's making me look bad."
"Oh no that scarlet jezebel is flexing on our son by spending money on thoughtful gifts, how dare she disrespect us like that!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

She’s a POC parents aren’t.

quote:

That it was a cultural thing but then he got even madder and told me to stop imposing my culture on everyone and it's weird since I'm white.

I guess this could be interpreted as OP saying that he is white and not that OP is white, but even if OP is white it's a p weird line of thinking that giving gifts is

a.) bad

and

b.) something only non-whites do (which is probably what makes it bad)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
thing about racists is they don't have any problem deciding someone's the wrong kind of white

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Foo Diddley posted:

thing about racists is they don't have any problem deciding someone's the wrong kind of white

I've been told that Spanish people are "low-tier white".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've been told that Spanish people are "low-tier white".
I have probably told this story here before, but when Jungle Fever came out I genuinely didn't understand the marketing focus on the scandal of "black man and white woman in a relationship" because "well, she's Italian, right? That's not white-white."

I grew up in a very insular community, college was something of a shock to my system. I try to be better now, I swear. :(