Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
F

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1499351053384527876

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
F

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
F

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Ф

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

blyat

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just came here to post this. While you can't see the wreck too clearly, you can see the An-225 in the background, and in the sun, the nose on the ground, at a different angle from the airframe.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Looks like Sabre has officially terminated their agreement with Aeroflot. No dispatching or anything else.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just came here to post this. While you can't see the wreck too clearly, you can see the An-225 in the background, and in the sun, the nose on the ground, at a different angle from the airframe.

Now I’m no plane scientist but that seems less than ideal.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Beef Of Ages posted:

Looks like Sabre has officially terminated their agreement with Aeroflot. No dispatching or anything else.

It's slowly dawning on me that so many lockouts are happening with Russian aviation that they are gonna loose the ability to fly airplanes not only out of Russia, but inside Russia as well, unless the types they fly are Russian-produced. You might want to hang on to those An-2s, guys...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They built 18,000 of them.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's slowly dawning on me that so many lockouts are happening with Russian aviation that they are gonna loose the ability to fly airplanes not only out of Russia, but inside Russia as well, unless the types they fly are Russian-produced. You might want to hang on to those An-2s, guys...

And with Airbus and a wildly reluctant Boeing shutting them out, those fleets are going to become very large paperweights without the ability to get parts and perform basic MX to maintain airworthiness.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Beef Of Ages posted:

And with Airbus and a wildly reluctant Boeing shutting them out, those fleets are going to become very large paperweights without the ability to get parts and perform basic MX to maintain airworthiness.

Speaking of: https://twitter.com/jakluge/status/1499373653372420099?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn’t Russia prohibited from “returning” those planes at the moment?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Greedy Idiots.

It turns out rational actors consider “but this time it will be different” to be rational

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Beef Of Ages posted:

:prepop:

For anyone unfamiliar, Sabre is the software that a good deal of the airlines globally use for ticketing, scheduling, marketing, etc etc. It’s a pretty huge deal to lose access to.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

MrYenko posted:

For anyone unfamiliar, Sabre is the software that a good deal of the airlines globally use for ticketing, scheduling, marketing, etc etc. It’s a pretty huge deal to lose access to.

I'm trying to find out if it was just the GDS access that they dropped or if it was the PSS, too. PSS is a much bigger deal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If Putin stays in power (and the world still exists which is no longer a given if he has totally lost his mind), Russia is going back 30+ years in tech, innovation and investment and will be utterly toxic to many to even consider dealing with.

It will be interesting to see what they do and how beholden to China they become assuming China keeps doing business with them they will

I wonder how seriously some officers with access would consider taking up this offer.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/russian-businessman-places-1-million-bounty-on-putins-head-314495/

I wonder if go fund me would allow a campaign to fund a Putin bounty?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Beef Of Ages posted:

I'm trying to find out if it was just the GDS access that they dropped or if it was the PSS, too. PSS is a much bigger deal.

Unfortunately, it looks like the PSS is not included.

https://twitter.com/hharteveldt/status/1499415252810801153?t=W5RfsquRhqH6MOt3OJRzrQ&s=19

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

MrYenko posted:

I think they also sell paper through their Dunder Mifflin brand. Russia won't be able to print anything either.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can you explain what that means? I've heard of Sabre, but not the PSS/GDS

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

slidebite posted:

Can you explain what that means? I've heard of Sabre, but not the PSS/GDS

GDS, or Global Distribution System, is what airlines use to publish inventory to travel agents. There's a handful of them in the world, and Sabre is one of the largest. The PSS, or Passenger Service System, is the core system of record for reservations at the airline no matter what channel they're sold through (GDS, direct on the airline's website, etc.). The PSS often has hooks for dispatching (weight and balance) and check in, boarding, etc. Loss of PSS is a much bigger deal but real impact depends on how Aeroflot was set up with SabreSonic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is Sabre still built on archaic technology

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Charles posted:

name an enterprise system not built on archaic technology go

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Charles posted:

It is commercial aviation oriented, therefore it is ancient.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Salesforce.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Charles posted:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ugh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

quote:

will still host the airline on its SabreSonic PSS. Cutting Aeroflot from the PSS would cripple the airline.

I mean, yeah? So? That's kind of the point of sanctions. If a country doesn't want to play in the civilized world, they don't get to have civilized things.

Yes, I know it would impose a hardship on the people of Russia that largely do not condone a war or even want Putin in power. That's where we are though and every economic tool has to be invoked because the alternative is either genocide or a multi-country nuclear war in Europe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm trying to figure out a way to argue you're not right, but you are.

Salesforce is not built on archaic technology but boy does it suck.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Sales forces is built on the ancient rituals of the deep ones, so it’s not built on ancient technology per se.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What else are you going to use, dynamics?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn’t Russia prohibited from “returning” those planes at the moment?

It probably won't matter, since airlines usually only have a few weeks worth of spare parts on hand, so once that stock gets exhausted, the Russians are going to have a hard time getting more parts from anyone but China, and specialized stuff like engine components that has to come directly from GE or Rolls Royce would be basically impossible to obtain.

Even if Aeroflot or S7 decides they're just going to "keep" the leased airplanes, all that does is kick the can down the road, since the leasing companies would probably just start seizing any Aeroflot or S7 assets they could find outside Russia, and I'd assume being unable to obtain new leases or get any kind of financing is probably not good for an airline.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Beef Of Ages posted:

GDS, or Global Distribution System, is what airlines use to publish inventory to travel agents. There's a handful of them in the world, and Sabre is one of the largest. The PSS, or Passenger Service System, is the core system of record for reservations at the airline no matter what channel they're sold through (GDS, direct on the airline's website, etc.). The PSS often has hooks for dispatching (weight and balance) and check in, boarding, etc. Loss of PSS is a much bigger deal but real impact depends on how Aeroflot was set up with SabreSonic.
Thanks for that, and yeah, gently caress them. Sucks for the everyday Russian, but the sooner they get frustrated and take out their emperor the better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pretty sure our system is, I poo poo you not, some sort of COBOL based back end with some sort of quasi-windows based interface on the front end.

It's clunkier than it sounds.

If its not COBOL its some other absolutely atrocious 70s era language.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

What else are you going to use, dynamics?

I'm experiencing a Pavlovian response as a byproduct of working for one of their competitors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

slidebite posted:

Pretty sure our system is, I poo poo you not, some sort of COBOL based back end with some sort of quasi-windows based interface on the front end.

It's clunkier than it sounds.

If its not COBOL its some other absolutely atrocious 70s era language.

this is my shocked face :geno:

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Besides the programming language, when I used to use Sabre, occasionally you’d see the raw text version of the flight info and it was an option to make it a non-smoking flight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is my shocked face :geno:

lol

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Any one know if a certain Georgia based or several Kansas based aircraft manufacturers have joined in the sanctions? Are yak-50's now in high demand by Russia's 1%?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arson Daily posted:

Any one know if a certain Georgia based or several Kansas based aircraft manufacturers have joined in the sanctions? Are yak-50's now in high demand by Russia's 1%?

Sanctions regimes are not voluntary. if you're a US company, you're not selling any sanctioned poo poo to Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sanctions regimes are not voluntary. if you're a US company, you're not selling any sanctioned poo poo to Russia.

Yup, and part of why Embraer joined in so they don't jeopardize their relationships with the US and EU, among others.