Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I love birds in snow. Can blow out the gross blue snow and make it look like you've been chilling in a studio all day.

Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal

House Sparrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Snow birds

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

tk posted:

Snow birds

Please tell me that snowflake is actually on the tip of its beak! :love:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 4, 2022

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Slotducks posted:

I'm always in awe when someone takes *very* good photos of very common birds like Mallards and Swans.
Kudos! Great shots!

Thanks guys! "Swans" is really not common for me at all, but I happened on this really lucky find. I went to a spot someone gave me a tip on last summer, where a river was flowing into another one and keeping a small un-frozen spot where it might concentrate the eagles' fishing area. I didn't find eagles fishing, but instead I found what had to have been 200+ swans, with a smaller number of Canada geese and mallards. That head-on mallard landing a nice lucky touch. My exposure was set pretty low for the white swans on white snow (but not enough, as about a third to a half of them were irrecoverably blown out anyway) so the mallard's head/neck were so dark that I was surprised to be able to pull them up and be (almost) usable. And I went hog wild with the crop to turn it into a mean, staring-you-down mallard.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

Please tell me that snowflake is actually on the tip of its beak! :love:

Yep! (Although does it really count if you can’t be sure from the original?)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have three very similar photos. I think I like 3 and 2 more than 1, at least at higher resolutions. This is one of the crows I feed day to day at my son's middle school.

Crow3 by B. B., on Flickr

Crow2 by B. B., on Flickr

Crow1 by B. B., on Flickr

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Just a couple of backyard birds who showed up at golden hour. Took these shots right off of our porch.

Too bad about the branches in the way, but it's cool to just look out the window and see some good birds in interesting light. You can see bits of squirrel on the beak.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 12, 2022

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Not a photo because my 200-500mm zoom mechanism is jammed and need ms to be repaired, but I saw this American Woodcock today.

https://twitter.com/thomascarlile/status/1503175569504100355?s=21

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've been using a Panasonic S5 with a Sigma 150-600 Sports for bird'n which surprisingly hasn't been that bad. Auto focus takes some getting used to but generally I've been getting some really great results with it. It's my main work camera for video so I'd prefer to not get salt water or rain on it, so might look at something more outdoor friendly like the OM-1.. not sure though. But anyways, here a couple of shots with this setup:

Male superb fairy wren:

Not sure on the ID.. maybe a Red-Necked Stint? Don't think it's a Sanderling. It was super tiny and sprinted along the sand like a little toy.

White ibis. I watched this guy for about 10 minutes trying to climb up this branch. Being a wading bird with wading feet doesn't help that much for perch work.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Shot this three-toed woodpecker yesterday - cannot see the beautiful orange spot on its head but I like the "beard" under the dude's beak

Eurasian three-toed woodpecker by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Captain Charisma
Nov 10, 2021

toggle posted:

I've been using a Panasonic S5 with a Sigma 150-600 Sports for bird'n which surprisingly hasn't been that bad. Auto focus takes some getting used to but generally I've been getting some really great results with it. It's my main work camera for video so I'd prefer to not get salt water or rain on it, so might look at something more outdoor friendly like the OM-1.. not sure though. But anyways, here a couple of shots with this setup:

Male superb fairy wren:

Not sure on the ID.. maybe a Red-Necked Stint? Don't think it's a Sanderling. It was super tiny and sprinted along the sand like a little toy.

White ibis. I watched this guy for about 10 minutes trying to climb up this branch. Being a wading bird with wading feet doesn't help that much for perch work.

those are great pictures!! I've been considering the 150-600 Contemporary for birding as the Sport is out of my budget, will aim to get the Nikon mount so i can slap a TC III on it for added reach and mount it on my D750. My current birding setup is a Pentax K-30 with their weathersealed 55-300 and that works pretty well with the caveat that 450mm effective focal length is not enough for birding.

I thought 450mm would be sufficient. I was so wrong :negative:

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
I use the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary as my main birding lens. I read reviews online before I purchased and many people couldn't see a major difference between the Sports and Contemporary versions in terms of image quality. The C version is also lighter which helps in the field.

Anyway went to the San Diego Zoo recently and theres no skill or luck involved in these pics but still a chance to see some of these magnificent birds without traveling all over the world:

Harpy Eagle:

Secretary Bird:

Flamingo:

Steller's Sea Eagle:

Crowned Eagle:

Green Heron that was visiting but didn't live at the zoo:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Took my Tamron 500mm mirror lens to the local bird sanctuary yesterday and got a greater white fronted goose and a red winged blackbird :)

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

rockear posted:

Took my Tamron 500mm mirror lens to the local bird sanctuary yesterday and got a greater white fronted goose and a red winged blackbird :)

The DOF on that goose confuses my brain hard.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah it does look like the in-focus area is not parallel to the sensor plane huh? I suspect the M42-NEX adapter has some play in it to cause that.

rockear fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 24, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Got my first Juvenile Bald Eagle the other day - not the greatest lighting though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Slotducks posted:

Got my first Juvenile Bald Eagle the other day - not the greatest lighting though.

You take the shots when you get the shots. I like the juveniles more than the adults, really.

And sure, you got a bald eagle, but did you get a crow eating a pork rind?

Eating Pork Rinds in Private by B. B., on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Real paparazzi-catching-celebrity-with-food-in-their-mouth energy in that right there haha I love it

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bumping with buffleheads

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Experimental pond birbs

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Got an uncommon visitor at my feeder the last few days, a Rufous Hummingbird. I'm on their migratory path here in Northern California but the their breeding range is Oregon up north thru British Columbia. Thought it was an Allen's at first nesting in the area, but there's not a lot of green on this guy so I every guide I've seen says Rufous.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Jerm324 posted:

Got an uncommon visitor at my feeder the last few days, a Rufous Hummingbird. I'm on their migratory path here in Northern California but the their breeding range is Oregon up north thru British Columbia. Thought it was an Allen's at first nesting in the area, but there's not a lot of green on this guy so I every guide I've seen says Rufous.

Nice. Best way to tell is if you can manage to get a shot with the tail feathers spread and look at the shape.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I feel unclean posting dirty cheating zoo photos among rare encounters and dangerously experimental pond birbs, but a chance for a controlled portrait session was pretty awesome and I recommend similarly cheating if the opportunity arises.

"Pumpkin" the Eurasian Eagle Owl

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Finally gnabbed a good D500 used over the weekend - Went out for a little bit yesterday to gnab a rarity around these parts (Willet) but I was pretty happy with how these surfing shots of this Blue-winged Teal came out

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Alpenglow posted:

I feel unclean posting dirty cheating zoo photos among rare encounters and dangerously experimental pond birbs, but a chance for a controlled portrait session was pretty awesome and I recommend similarly cheating if the opportunity arises.

Yeah these are stunning! You can really see the intelligence in those eyes. And the owl! Just amazing! Pretty non-standard for this thread, but very nice to see.

i love that teal, look at how the water cuts around his body

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Slotducks posted:

Finally gnabbed a good D500 used over the weekend - Went out for a little bit yesterday to gnab a rarity around these parts (Willet) but I was pretty happy with how these surfing shots of this Blue-winged Teal came out

Really lovely work!

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
More of my local Northern Harrier

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Awesome harrier shots

I found 3 hummingbird nests this spring and none of them made it, but the titmice got at least as far as the nestling stage.

Wildcat Oak Titmouse w food-6106 on Flickr

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Awesome harrier shots

I found 3 hummingbird nests this spring and none of them made it, but the titmice got at least as far as the nestling stage.

I haven't found any nests this year thus far. With the amount of Anna's hummingbirds coming to my feeders I'd expect my neighbors might be the lucky ones. I checked my pictures on that Rufous for one with the tail feathers like you suggested. I did have one that showed the distinctive notch on the 2nd tail feather so I'm definitely sure it's a rufous. Haven't seen him in a few days so I suspect he fueled up and continued his journey north.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

The Duality of the Tree Swallow

Kind, demure, fashionable

Turned Gladiator

Crummy light this morning so the ISO is pumped pretty high, I should head back there during sunnier weather

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Slotducks posted:

The Duality of the Tree Swallow

These are awesome.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Very nice Swallows. Anyone know how to deal with the iridescence of swallows especially in sunlight? The feathers just never quite look right unless it's overcast out or the sunlight is filtered in some way. Below example:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's much you can do about the iridescence in strong sunlight. It's what they're supposed to look like, so fwiw it looks fine to me!

One fun trick for TRES near their nesting area is to give them feathers. They line their nests in the nest box with feathers (probably to help with thermoregulation but maybe for other reasons too). If there's a bit of breeze you can toss a feather up and there's a good chance one of them will catch it in mid air and race back to their nest box with it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

rootdown posted:

These are awesome.

Thank you!
I put more time into one of the shots I got and turned this out:

Used the holy trinity for this, Lightroom, Denoise, AND Photoshop

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Carrying a sony 200-600mm around seems to gently caress up my neck even though I have a wide peak slide strap :butt:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
If your strap's long enough, you could try keeping it slung over one shoulder and under one arm, that way you can brace against it if it's short enough to help with shooting while kneeling or standing. It's also going to feel better in general not having weight on your neck

it's a great shot though so who cares, though I would probably give you poo poo if you like photoshopped out the fence or whatever because it's manmade

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorbus posted:

Carrying a sony 200-600mm around seems to gently caress up my neck even though I have a wide peak slide strap :butt:

I use a blackrapid strap with my 150-600+body on it and it's completely fine, I think I have the 'metro' model which isn't around on their site anymore. It was for tiny cameras or something but I looked at the materials used and did some strength testing and was satisfied enough to use it for all my photography including the heavy lens stuff.

I hugely recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Just gotta prep yourself