Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Can someone explain the meaning of Mags "eat meat rare" comment? It has confounded me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sloth Life posted:

Can someone explain the meaning of Mags "eat meat rare" comment? It has confounded me

"I nearly died, so when I eat meat, I make sure it's only barely dead."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cabbit posted:

It can do both. But yeah, it was made famous by a Canadian wrestler named Petey Williams.

And all the people with enough leg strength he used it on to make the move work. :rimshot:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

danbanana posted:

That's a destroyer FROM Canada, not something that destroys Canadians, right?

Logan can gently caress around and find out

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Today's X-Men was really awesome

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cabbit posted:

A flip piledriver is also known as a Canadian Destroyer. :eng101:

her legs are over his arms, that's a yoshi tonic

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

"I nearly died, so when I eat meat, I make sure it's only barely dead."

Thank you.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gologle posted:

Today's X-Men was really awesome

don't like the sudden mood change to Destiny, being funny and trolling just wasn't in her the previous characterisation

edit: same with Emma in Devil's Reign, she's a smart control freak, so in order to lose she needs to be reckless and dumb? hate it

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 3, 2022

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I honestly didn't have any read on a personality for Destiny at all prior to her death. And given that she's in some kind of very deep personal intimacy with Mystique, it stands to reason that she would also be pretty awful.

The Emma thing, on the other hand, you can chalk up to the mistakes of youth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Destiny was an old woman the last time we saw her. Now she’s in her prime again so who knows

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Emma thing, on the other hand, you can chalk up to the mistakes of youth.

oh, I take it back this makes sense

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Destiny is a complete black hole of interest to me because a character that just sits back and goes "ho ho ho. All according to plan/the light/what I have foretold" is loving boring.

Even that whole revelation about Mora actually planning to ghettoize mutancy in a walled garden of agitprop and hedonism while eliminating their children went off like a lead balloon because of her involvement.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

don't like the sudden mood change to Destiny, being funny and trolling just wasn't in her the previous characterisation

edit: same with Emma in Devil's Reign, she's a smart control freak, so in order to lose she needs to be reckless and dumb? hate it

It was always sort of there, it's just that she was usually in the role of a sidekick villain in a full team so she just didn't get much spotlight at all. A few instances spring to mind:

-Louise Simonson wrote her as just really hating Spiral for no reason and never giving Spiral a heads' up about getting hit by a water tower or whatever. There was this sense of like, well yes I'll tell Pyro and Blob to duck or to watch their sixes, they're my team-mates and I want the mission to succeed. But to me it will be very funny if Spiral eats poo poo in public so good luck girl.
-The somewhat famous PAD story where she swears to make Mystique laugh in a flashback, then arranges it so that she pulls a big post-mortem prank on her that does get her to laugh.

The big missing piece here is obviously Claremont, who did not really write her as funny, but really being funny was never one of Claremont's major gifts as a writer. But both PAD and Simonson gave her kind of a puckish, coy edge and I think that's fun to see played up a bit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

really being funny was never one of Claremont's major gifts as a writer.

My initial response to this was FIGHT but... you're definitely right. I think when he did lighter-hearted stuff, he was generally successful (I love Kitty's Fairy Tale, I think there's some wackiness in Excalibur that's great, the shopping/dude's night issues are fun, etc.) but obviously that stuff was far-between and it wasn't LOL-humor in those but more generally less-serious topics.

That said... Rereading Inferno a while back made me appreciate how much fun he and the other writers seemed to be having with some of the NYC scene stuff. Whether it was Claremont's writing or SIlvestri's extremely good knack for visual humor (and underrated thing for him that he completely lost post-Marvel), there's parts in those X-Men issues that made me laugh.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

danbanana posted:

My initial response to this was FIGHT but... you're definitely right. I think when he did lighter-hearted stuff, he was generally successful (I love Kitty's Fairy Tale, I think there's some wackiness in Excalibur that's great, the shopping/dude's night issues are fun, etc.) but obviously that stuff was far-between and it wasn't LOL-humor in those but more generally less-serious topics.

That said... Rereading Inferno a while back made me appreciate how much fun he and the other writers seemed to be having with some of the NYC scene stuff. Whether it was Claremont's writing or SIlvestri's extremely good knack for visual humor (and underrated thing for him that he completely lost post-Marvel), there's parts in those X-Men issues that made me laugh.

You're absolutely right, Inferno is really funny, and I think a lot of that is that most of the big movers in collaborating on it had a good frisson together and kind of encouraged each others' wilder sides.

I think what Claremont was good at it was a kind of warm, low-key whimsy. I hesitate to say twee but kind of a tonal coziness which I think saturates a lot of the lighter Excalibur stuff and allows what would otherwise be straight up body horror to come across as kind of cute and zany. I'm never guffawing at Excalibur but I am very often smiling.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think that's a good read. His funny scenes (mostly) aren't characters riffing off each other and setting up punchlines, so much as putting the cast through some gentle hijinks that serve to characterise them and add some texture to the pacing. You laugh, but mostly because you like the characters and it's charming to see their foibles and moments of anti-climax. Sam spilling a bunch of sodas while he's blastin' in early New Mutants feels like a good example, or Kitty using the Shi'ar costume machine to dress up as Darth Vader.

It's not crack-em-ups so much as a reminder that the characters are people who experience joy and frustration in between the drama and action scenes. Honestly, the closest comparison I'd draw would probably be slice of life manga, which often has a very similar vibe except it's entirely central instead of being used to space out the story.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really liked the Emma/Spider-Man moment in DR: X-Men this week

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Android Blues posted:

I think that's a good read. His funny scenes (mostly) aren't characters riffing off each other and setting up punchlines, so much as putting the cast through some gentle hijinks that serve to characterise them and add some texture to the pacing. You laugh, but mostly because you like the characters and it's charming to see their foibles and moments of anti-climax. Sam spilling a bunch of sodas while he's blastin' in early New Mutants feels like a good example, or Kitty using the Shi'ar costume machine to dress up as Darth Vader.

It's not crack-em-ups so much as a reminder that the characters are people who experience joy and frustration in between the drama and action scenes. Honestly, the closest comparison I'd draw would probably be slice of life manga, which often has a very similar vibe except it's entirely central instead of being used to space out the story.

Yeah he was brilliant at that. There's a scene also in early New Mutants where Kitty is working on a hacking project with (pre-mutant) Doug, and they just... get tired of doing plot stuff and go downstairs to eat chips and talk about her parents' divorce. It's extraordinary to me because there's so little tension or momentum to the scene, it just has absolute trust that the readers know and care enough about this character to enjoy her being tired and venting. You could cut it and lose nothing from the overall soap plot of the book, but what you would lose is Claremont's sense of giving his characters a sense of interiority and as you said, texture.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm still enjoying adjectiveless X-Men but I don't think Duggan has a handle on Laura in the slightest. Also when did they give her a full metal skeleton? That's stupid; it was what made her a quicker healer and more acrobatic fighter than Logan. Not to mention the as-mentioned fatal weakness to open water wasn't a thing for her before.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Cartridgeblowers posted:

It reminded me of Marvel Adventures Spider-Man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

It's always nice when these moments come up in unexpected places. You wouldn't have expected a heartwarming Spider-Man scene in this book, but here we go.

I like how Emma treats him better after that, too. She's a big softie deep down!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

When Destiny died, she knew she was gonna die and she left a note to Mystique to throw her ashes overboard on a specific ship on a specific side of the ship at a very specific time. Mystique does that and a sudden gust of wind throws Destiny's ashes straight back in Mystique's face. Don't tell me that trolling someone is out of character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

I'm still enjoying adjectiveless X-Men but I don't think Duggan has a handle on Laura in the slightest. Also when did they give her a full metal skeleton? That's stupid; it was what made her a quicker healer and more acrobatic fighter than Logan. Not to mention the as-mentioned fatal weakness to open water wasn't a thing for her before.

I don't like that change, but she did die and get resurrected recently and I assume characters with mechanical alterations to their bodies make some sort of document about which ones they want to still have when they come back and any new additions. Logan has died a bunch in the Krakoa era and always has an adamantium skeleton when he comes back, maybe she wanted to give the whole package a go.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Troll Destiny is awesome~

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Diet Poison posted:

Laura as a character has been weird for me ever since the Tom Taylor run. To be fair, I only read the first few issues, but it felt like having her get over her otherwise character-defining emotional issues made her a lot more indistinct in terms of personality.

I've made the comparison before, but it reminds me of when they minimized Cassandra Cain's communication problems. I think it's a weird habit that writers have with characters that haven't existed for 30+ years where they treat stuff like that as an issue that needs to be dealt with instead of part of the character's foundation. Makes me wonder if Peter Parker had been created in 2011 if he would have been written as getting over constantly feeling responsible for everything by now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
big lol you shoulda kept reading

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the Tom Taylor run is excellent, it's what got me back into X-Men after 15 years

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Tom Taylor stuff does quietly revamp parts of Laura's character, but it's the parts that were terrible and it's in the service of making a solid character, so I don't think anybody really cared.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skwirl posted:

I don't like that change, but she did die and get resurrected recently and I assume characters with mechanical alterations to their bodies make some sort of document about which ones they want to still have when they come back and any new additions. Logan has died a bunch in the Krakoa era and always has an adamantium skeleton when he comes back, maybe she wanted to give the whole package a go.
I remember this came up with Karma's leg a while back. I figure this is something they can telepathically ask/read you, so they know if you consider things like that to be cruel burdens or just, like, part of you now.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Diet Poison posted:

I like to imagine the Five screwed up. "Look, we're resurrecting hundreds of people a day. Now Proteus here said he was pretty sure that both Wolverines had metal skeletons, it sounded right to the rest of us, we didn't have time to check. Now let's be honest, Chuck's probably going to send you on another suicide run by the end of the week, we'll try and get it right next time we revive you."

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

So I've read kinda scattershot though the House of X, Dawn of X, Whatever of X, and I just want to know, is Moira's plan/story arc as wackadoodle as I think it is?

Based on what I've read: Moira lives and dies pretty uneventfully for her first two lives, then invents a cure for mutation in her third, gets burned alive and does a 180 and spends here next six lives (and several millennia) promoting mutant supremacy. Then in her tenth life, she decides to "break all the rules" and forms a mutation nation with Charles and Magneto, with the goals of ensuring mutant domination of the Earth, suppressing mechanical sentience, immortality for mutants and stopping the development of Nimrod. So that's what happens in 3-ish years of comics, until Inferno where it's revealed that all of was just a ruse and in another 180 Moira is still planing on eliminating mutants and the x-gene. Also it's revealed that the nation she put together to eliminate mutants is so successful in the future that mutants rule supreme, causing the machines sent back the consciousness of a Omega sentinel to try and stop the unbeatable future mutants. Now in X Deaths of Wolverine, she seems to be trying to build a cyborg body so she can stop the mutant "devils"... after several years of trying to stop the Orochi because of the threat they pose to mutantkind?

No seriously, I know this was over 3 years of comics, but figure I have to be missing something to make this story make sense. It's like in a MDicky wrestling game where your manager demands you do face/heel turns every few months.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 4, 2022

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
If it helps you, I'm pretty sure the overall plan for the X-Men line changed sometime after year 1, so if there is confusion, you can blame real life.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I think the initial swerve at the end of Hickman's run was intended from the start, although maybe unfolding in a different way, because most of the elements were pretty heavily foreshadowed from the start, and why else would Moira burn so much of her political capital to trying to keep Destiny dead?

The stuff happening in Deaths of Wolverine I think is new and maybe not originally intended, but who can be sure?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Moira going :birdthunk: can't have mutant human machine war if no mutant kids are made and I ghettofy the remaining population! seems pretty dumb since a lot of fun theory crafting involved hijacking the Phalanx black-hole Godminds in a way to create a counter Human/Mutant holemind.

But I guess from the perspective of someone that's lived 6 lives being persecuted for. eung a mutant and then 1 life burned to death because she tried to "help" with a cure and 2 lives that were just uneventful they'd probably want a way out of the rigamarole.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

You have to remember that Moira didn't come up with the Krakoa idea, and only seemed to be going along with it because it was a way to keep the mutants both ignorant of her plans and also gathered in a convenient central location. I think we also overestimated how much control she ever actually had over things. She had Xavier and Magneto's ear, but couldn't even keep them in line.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Yes she's not the puppet master or anything, just taking advantage of trying something new and trying to manage the fallout.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Moira actually did come up with the Krakoa idea; according to her diary she's the one that purposefully implanted the idea in Magneto's head long before Krakoa was ready, which is what led him to create Asteroid M. It was Krakoan immortality that wasn't her idea, although she approved of it when Charles explained it, and was the first early test subject.

What's not really clear is why Moira A) wanted to build a mutant stronghold containing every mutant political faction, and B) wanted to release the mutant cure on mutant children. It's possible to square that circle, but it isn't easy or clear how.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I think the initial swerve at the end of Hickman's run was intended from the start, although maybe unfolding in a different way, because most of the elements were pretty heavily foreshadowed from the start, and why else would Moira burn so much of her political capital to trying to keep Destiny dead?

The stuff happening in Deaths of Wolverine I think is new and maybe not originally intended, but who can be sure?

I assumed that it was because whatever the Moira-Xavier-Magneto triumvirate's plan for Krakoa were, some mutants weren't gonna like it.

Also at that point all three of them seemed to have a plan and know what it was. When Xavier tells Moira that Mystique is helping them on the condition that Destiny is revived, Moira basically says "We can't have a precog running around at this point" and Xavier and Magneto are like "We know, it'd be a disaster if anyone knew what we were planing."

Moira's heel turn just feels really jarring, like when one author radically retcons another's work because it doesn't fit with the story they want to tell, except all of this story is from the same author.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I would chalk up Xavier and Magneto's reluctance to revive a precog is based on how many times mutants have been captured and used as a weapon against mutantkind. Or that the mutants of Krakoa would learn that Prof X and Mags have started the mutant human war everyone is always worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

I like to imagine the Five screwed up. "Look, we're resurrecting hundreds of people a day. Now Proteus here said he was pretty sure that both Wolverines had metal skeletons, it sounded right to the rest of us, we didn't have time to check. Now let's be honest, Chuck's probably going to send you on another suicide run by the end of the week, we'll try and get it right next time we revive you."

The Five modifying ressurrected mutants sounds like a great idea for a very uncomfortable story to explore the ethics of that concept

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 7, 2022