Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
im glad my constant bitching on the internet about the boring homogeneity of the art on the newer cards directly caused them to focus on more varied and interesting art styles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This set is gonna be extremely cool and that's already coming off an already extremely cool set. WotC bringing out the heavy hitters this year after last year's bleh sets.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

bring pervy art back

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So it looks like the Stranger Things re-skin cards also have the same Friends Forever ability. Does that mean you can, theoretically, use the Stranger Things card and its re-skin counterpart as your commander as they have different names but lack the part of the card that tells you that it's a re-skin (see Godzilla cards)?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalvanoo posted:

im glad my constant bitching on the internet about the boring homogeneity of the art on the newer cards directly caused them to focus on more varied and interesting art styles

Me too, thank you.

Esper = Obscura
Grixis = Maestros
Jund = Riveters
Naya = Cabaretti
Bant = Brokers

So they’re all demon families and everything is supposed to be organized crime-y. Bant/Brokers sounds and looks like they’re lawyers, and I’m assuming Jund/Riveters is like crooked labour unions. Cabaretti is gonna be like criminal club owners based on the name/picture. This set is gonna own.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Framboise posted:

So it looks like the Stranger Things re-skin cards also have the same Friends Forever ability. Does that mean you can, theoretically, use the Stranger Things card and its re-skin counterpart as your commander as they have different names but lack the part of the card that tells you that it's a re-skin (see Godzilla cards)?

in the bottom left of the card there's an " = SLD ### " which is how they're representing the cards being treated as identical now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alt art looks dope and it’s cool they’re making more triomes

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Oh gently caress I love all of those art styles and I’m stoked for the new “triomes.”

E: just saying the exact same thing as Pablo, I guess.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TotalHell posted:

Oh gently caress I love all of those art styles and I’m stoked for the new “triomes.”

E: just saying the exact same thing as Pablo, I guess.

Since you bought cards from me I guess we share a brain now. I think that’s how it works

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Set looks dope and they've been killing it with basic lands.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I actually hate art deco so this set is very much not for me lmao

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Since you bought cards from me I guess we share a brain now. I think that’s how it works

I’ve thought about it and decided that this makes sense.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

When I heard magic was doing art deco I was afraid it would be too busy, and if that plains is any indication I was right on the mark (though that mountain is real nice).

Otoh, we got some cubism in magic again, finally

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Midnight Hunt collector's boxes are sitting at $143.34 and Crimson Vow is at $155.11 on Amazon right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't played legacy in a while, do you think it's too strong?
I feel like 'must answer before they untap twice' describes a lot of legacy cards.

No not at all. If legacy can handle Hogaak this will be fine.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Art Deco/Metropolis art lands look great.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Reynold posted:

Midnight Hunt collector's boxes are sitting at $143.34 and Crimson Vow is at $155.11 on Amazon right now.

Midnight Hunt CBs were $139.48 on woot.. think Strixhaven CBs are on sale (on Amazon) as well.

They have over 9000 of the Midnight Hunt CBs. Most likely they'll be at the $139.48 price again.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they're not even worth the posts you made about them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is this gonna be the set where they bring back Patrician's Scorn

What is their record on doing all the future sight cards anyway

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this gonna be the set where they bring back Patrician's Scorn

What is their record on doing all the future sight cards anyway

In normal sets? Not great. Better if you count supplemental / reprint sets. They've said they don't care if they actually get 'printed'.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

They just printed Grinning Ignus in Strixhaven. They're definitely still keeping their eyes open for opportunities to print Future Sight cards.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

serefin99 posted:

They just printed Grinning Ignus in Strixhaven. They're definitely still keeping their eyes open for opportunities to print Future Sight cards.

It was neat that they managed to find a home for a card that was originally designed to be played in a limited environment with the storm mechanic. Flavoring him the Prismari and there love of big spells was a brilliant way to recontextualise his ability.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Set style looks insanely good

mandatory lesbian posted:

I actually hate art deco so this set is very much not for me lmao
what a shame

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

kalel posted:

they're not even worth the posts you made about them

Eh, the Castlevania Sorin (and the foil version of it) will probably be worth a lot from a collector’s standpoint in a few years and one of those is your best shot at grabbing him.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Providing the rest of the tricycle lands means Cycling is in this set.

Heck yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
3 color sets are always the actual best and i am extremely here for Bant Demons

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Set style looks insanely good

what a shame

The cubism alt art is cool at least

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Still holding out for some art nouveau planeswalkers.

Also want those Metropolis plains and a Poirot character tie-in. Agatha Christie and mtg has a lot of crossover, right? Right!?

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 4, 2022

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Providing the rest of the tricycle lands means Cycling is in this set.

Heck yeah.

Confirmed not by Maro, just those lands.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Eh, the Castlevania Sorin (and the foil version of it) will probably be worth a lot from a collector’s standpoint in a few years and one of those is your best shot at grabbing him.

Actually, tcgplayer is the best place :grin:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah WotC seems more willing to just have a few cards with a mechanic without it being a Set Mechanic these days, so not having a full return of cycling with the triomes isn’t unexpected

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Why is half of the cycle going to have Triome in the name and the other half are gonna be bioshock buildings???

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Extort has to be a mechanic in this set, right? I mean, it just has to.

Grevlek posted:

Why is half of the cycle going to have Triome in the name and the other half are gonna be bioshock buildings???

Because all good things of this earth flow into the city

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Grevlek posted:

WotC coming down hard on the side of calling the cycle the Tricycle lands.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

WotC have certainly become more liberal about certain things in recent years and while stuff like third-party tie-ins are a matter of... mixed opinion... some of it has been pretty good. Like there is no way in hell they would've previously printed those lands as the only cards with cycling in the set. But that's fine when you literally just fuckin read the reminder text and you understand it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Grevlek posted:

maro's tumblr says it's because they didn't want to wait even longer to finish the cycle in a set where the lands both made sense to be included and it made sense to call them 'triomes'

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's either this or make new versions of the obelisks/crystals

Although the wug one could have been Obelisk of Bank and that would have been funny

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Triome doesn't mean anything right? Don't see a reason demon gangs couldn't have them. The tower one feels like a magic card, but the lounge does not.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Right, it's just a play on Biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

snyprmag posted:

Triome doesn't mean anything right? Don't see a reason demon gangs couldn't have them. The tower one feels like a magic card, but the lounge does not.

Portmanteau of Tri and Biome. I don't think it's a real word.