Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Araxxor posted:

I know someone else already did this, but I also decided to do a 5 Runemaster challenge in EO4. It started out really rough because wow you have no defenses and your front line is nothing more than a glorified meat shield so your back line can actually kill enemies. But as the game went on the overwhelming offenses of the Runemasters just killed everything in like 1-2 turns, including several bosses. I could basically stick with Galvanic Rune + Origin Rune once I got to level 40 because the support runes are bonkers. Being able to create weaknesses on the fly does so much for Runemaster.

Eventually I was able to 100% the game with that setup, but there was one last challenge that I'm pretty sure the team would get pasted at. No Chems Warped Savior is pretty much a boss that demands very specific strategies to kill because it's just that tough otherwise. And well 5 Runemasters was not really one of those strategies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiZsCH1O-aQ

The run did not end there. :catstare: I was not expecting them to actually be able to kill the drat thing because a Fortress is basically mandatory in No Chems Warped Savior kills! There were some drat close calls and some RNG was involved, but whatever, I'll loving take it! :toot:

All hail the wizard overlords, goddamn!
holy poo poo :sbahj:

I did 5 runemasters back in the day and it was remarkably easy even then, I remember saying something like "EO4 does not expect you to damage race it. It turns out the game loses" and holy poo poo how little I knew

grats :peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

theshim posted:

holy poo poo :sbahj:

I did 5 runemasters back in the day and it was remarkably easy even then, I remember saying something like "EO4 does not expect you to damage race it. It turns out the game loses" and holy poo poo how little I knew

grats :peanut:

Thanks! The closest thing to a boss that couldn't be DPS'd down was the Fallen One and that was namely due to the Darkness Curses being unable to be stopped. So it was basically eating up a turn to Theriaca A everyone.

Speaking of which, turns out that boss has yet more hidden mechanics that weren't documented. Not only does it not gain accumulative resistance to binds, any binds that land on it, including through Darkness Curse, have an enforced minimum duration! 4 turns for arm and leg binds, 5 turns for head binds. This means that landing a head bind will provide complete safety from any upcoming Supernovas.

Black Mist in EO4 also doesn't not extend the duration of disables for 1 turn, it just stops the disable recovery formula from being run on that turn. Unfortunately the mechanic that makes disables more likely to fall off as the turn count goes on is completely unaffected by Black Mist. This makes it so that it's actually possible to "waste" it. It's basically a security blanket in a Burst skill. :v: However it's far more relevant for Fallen One, as using it before the minimum duration is up is a complete waste of Burst and Black mist. Just wait till 4-5 turns later before using it.

Knowing all these mechanics makes the battle infinitely more chill, and I'd probably say Warped Savior took back the spot for the toughest boss in the game as a result. If the game actually told you all this, there probably wouldn't be debates about which of the 2 superbosses are stronger, and I can see where the devs came from when they consider Fallen One to be weaker than the Warped Savior.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

blizzardvizard posted:

So is Strangers of Sword City (or Savior of Sapphire Wings for that matter, since they're bundled on Steam) any good? It's on sale and I'm kinda itching for a dungeon crawler. The class change system looks wild, but it also looks extremely grindy?

The class change system is not as wild as it seems
I can't, like, 100% anti-recommend it? I did play like thirty hours, and I love the ability to make your characters extremely anime. But it's one of those games that tries to channel Wizardry really hard, so all the mechanics are both grindy and meta-grindy - want to get past this area? You'll need a level 30 Samurai, bitch, and if you don't have one, make one. You'll want to be prestiging your characters into new (or old) classes, too, so you get those sweet incremental stat bonuses!

You might have fun with it, but I personally gave up and looked for greener pastures.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Thuryl posted:

The point where you collect all of those plot coupons is basically the halfway point of the game; I ended up putting just under 60 hours in, including the postgame.

That’s about what I figured given the dearth of promotion items :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I was expecting to have a lot more trouble but it turns out that when you can stick 250 damage poison ticks for the whole fight, Amalgolem actually goes down pretty quickly.

5 Necromancers are on the second stratum :skeltal:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has there been any word about this making it’s transition to the switch? Hell give me a PC version FFS.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Has there been any word about this making it’s transition to the switch? Hell give me a PC version FFS.

Nope. The "EO Next" teaser is still all we have.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
just please no ugly 3d chibi models

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tired Moritz posted:

just please no ugly 3d chibi models

I'm sorry but this *is* an EO game you're talking about.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it could be like mystery dungeon, Chibi²

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I bought EO1 back when it first came out but got distracted by something else around the first couple of floors on the second stratum. I decided to try it again but see that there's now an updated version for the 3DS. Should I forget playing the OG one and just play Untold?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I bought EO1 back when it first came out but got distracted by something else around the first couple of floors on the second stratum. I decided to try it again but see that there's now an updated version for the 3DS. Should I forget playing the OG one and just play Untold?

Yeah.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

They're both similar experiences though some big differences in the background. I'd say it depends on what you want. If you want the historical curiosity, stick with 1 and check out U later. If you just want the general gist of 1 but don't feel like dealing with a buncha oldschool jank and weirdness, go with U.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Alright, Untold it is as soon as I can get Citra to accept my custom resolution options.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hippogryph was a hilarious trashfire of a fight. Took a few tries to get decent RNG so it didn't just spam Bind Claw for the first couple turns and wipe the floor with me. Poison kept refusing to land and people kept dying one by one, meaning I couldn't get Chain Blasts off at the right time and it ended up getting a good 5 turns of healing from Wing Shield. I used almost every item in my inventory, including a ton of the Amritas from Syrik on 8F, and eventually ended up completely dry on TP...and the drat boss still had a good 600 hp left. I literally ended up basic attacking it to death. It was so bad that the Wraiths were actually contributing meaningful damage.

But hey, I got my Master skills, and you know what that means - that's right, I'm going to get to use the best skill in the Necromancer arsenal: Negative Energy :getin:

no wait why are you laughing come back it's actually good

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I haven't done much digging into 7th Dragon III: Code: VFD yet, but I did at least manage to dig out enemy stats.

Unlike in 2020 and 2020-II, Jab is no longer guaranteed to inflict G-Depth. Instead it has a 200% base infliction rate. Not that it makes much of a difference because the lowest G-Depth resistance goes is 0.5, setting it to 100% baseline anyways. It's for the other G-Depth infliction skills that haven't reached 200% really. Also God Hands no longer have the ability to inflict Depth on regular attacks without having Depth Charge active.

Animation flags got limited to "Melee and Ranged" Instead of all that business with Claw, Fang, etc.. And regular attacks only use melee, ever. Ranged attacks show up in some skills though, but that's about it.

There's a misconception that the Arcanist's Force Break in Nexus, Releasal Spell, isn't as strong as it was in EO4, because it doesn't wipe Accumulative Resistance for a status until it wears off. This is wrong, but that being said it is weaker than it's EO4 incarnation. Just for an entirely different reason.

From a technical standpoint, the way Accumulative Resistance works is that there's a separate value that has a number subtracted from it each time you successfully inflict an ailment. (This is 30 in EO3 and 4. 50 in EOU and beyond. The Persona Qs do not use this system.) This negative number is added onto the monster's base resistance stat to get the final resistance value. Releasal Spell simply sets Accumulative Resistance back to 0. This means that no, Releasal Spell does not set monster resistances back to 100% (there were misconceptions about that.)

In 3 and 4, there's no other way to reset this value, particularly in 3 where Releasal Spell didn't exist, which gave disables a harsh expiration date. However in EOU onwards, +7 is added back onto this per turn that passes once the disable is off the target, letting the player be more likely to reinflict a disable as time passes.

But there's also a separate value that tracks the number of successful applications for that particular disable, which is then used in a formula to cap how much the resistance wears off. (In short, AR will never be set back to 0 no matter what outside of using RS, and each infliction increases the cap more and more.) Releasal Spell does not reset this tracking value. This means if you inflicted a disable onto a monster so many times, Releasal Spell could only buy you 1 more infliction at most. That can be enough in some cases, but something to be aware of.

theshim
May 1, 2012

god, gently caress the 4th stratum moles

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

theshim
May 1, 2012

Took a few tries but I finished off the final boss with 5 Necromancers. What a weird class! What a weird run!

The really interesting thing about a 5 necro party is how random every big fight can be. Take the final boss, for instance. Every one of his moves would oneshot any passively summoned wraiths it hit, and was a damage roll only on Freeze Breath whether or not it oneshot ones summoned with the actual skill. This meant it was really hard to plan for most turns! On the winning run, my two damage dealers spent basically the entire fight just using Negative Energy, as it was a very good chance that one or more wraiths would die that turn even without using any skills to expend them. Thankfully I did have a few outs for the big miasma attack - in addition to the regular sleep gasses and Chain Blast, I also had an extremely reliable disable in Tombstone Vise. Being able to petrify the final boss on demand is really good, y'all. On turns when I had him petrified, I would still use Tombstone Vise to sacrifice three wraiths so my two damage dealers got good numbers on Negative Energy, and I ended up with pretty decent odds to get all three of them back!

I dunno how much I'd enjoy using a single Necromancer in a larger party, funnily enough. One of the things that made the run feasible was the fact that every time I sacrificed a wraith I had very good odds of getting it back, and later that applied to wraiths getting killed or even just passively at the end of the turn if I had open slots. With just a single necro I feel like you'd have to spend far too much of your turn economy on summoning wraiths, every time one got killed it would set you way back, and expending them would mean a turn or two of dead time on the character. There's basically no way you're getting a 3-wraith Tombstone Vise off on the final boss as a solo necro without a ridiculous string of good rolls, but with 5 I could reliably throw them out on demand with extremely good odds to land the status. I barely used Tombstone Vise outside of boss fights, but an on-demand near-guaranteed shut down is an extremely powerful tool.

Random encounters were actually a lot more annoying (especially those motherfucking Hex Steeds) since my damage numbers weren't great. I'd usually have one guy throw out a Poison Bomb and then one or two others use Flame Bomb or Negative Energy, but it meant a fairly slow kill rate and a lot of enemies got to get plenty of hits in. As is often the case, my front line spent around 95% of the game using the Defend command.

TP was also a concern, not too bad for exploring with the easy availability of Pancakes, but FOE and boss fights ran me dry very quickly with the absurd costs on necro skills. And on that note, their skills are so weirdly distributed! Why does one branch get Magic Attack Up but the other gets Ice Bomb? Magic Attack Up literally only affects Flame Bomb for them! It does nothing for Negative Energy, Gates of Hell, or Fair Trade! (I guess it does affect Wraith Explosion, but the skill point investment for that one was way too high so I never bothered, not to mention the obscene TP cost and the fact that it was only worth using if all three wraiths were up.) One branch gets Status Atk Up but the other one gets Zombie Powder. It's such a weird split for such a weird class.

I completely ignored all the skills that make your wraiths deal damage themselves, as I was too busy sacrificing them for other skills to get any use out of them that way. Plus, their numbers seem really, really bad! I also never ended up using Fierce Shield because the wraiths are just so ridiculously fragile that it was only ever blocking a single hit. If I hadn't decided not to use the 9999 hp Zombie Powder wraiths I could have gotten good use out of them that way, I suppose, but I decided against the delicious cheese after doing it once and using the resulting wraiths to annihilate one of the other 4th stratum FOEs.

Anyway! Definitely taking another extended break after that one. All I have left in EOV is to finish the 5 Pugilist run (which is somewhere in the 4th stratum, so whenever I get back to it, it won't take too much longer), Masurao (which should be a hilarious trashfire), as well as Dragoons and Herbalists, both of which sound absolutely miserable. But hey, we'll see. It's me, after all.

:getin:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I feel like an all-Dragoon party would actually function just fine up until you run out of TP, at which point you will be a little bit sad.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dragoons can do everything from damage to mitigation to CC to healing, and everyone is gonna benefit from bunker-related passives, so I imagine that has to be one of the more manageable EOV single-class challenges.

TP shouldn't be that big of an issue since EOV drowns you in pancakes, and you can rely on the Blessing Earthlain Union skill early on for healing.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Masurao sounds painful. At least you can use Air Slash, Armor Pierce, and Haze Slash from the back so they're not completely useless back there for most of the game. Going to die so much against anything you can't kill in a couple turns and best of luck against anything you can't put to sleep or resists cut damage.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I mean, here's the thing about Dragoons. Up until you finish the second stratum, you have two offensive skills. One is Barrage Wall, which is basically just a regular attack to all enemies thanks to its garbage numbers, and the other is Gunmount, which has decent numbers when maxed out but still can only be used every other turn. Your ability to put out damage is awful.

After that you have access to a decent number of offensive moves (though you'll probably end up spamming Rapid Cannon most of the time), but getting there is gonna be painful. There's also the immense annoyance that comes with cannon skills having low accuracy for some inexplicable reason. It's probably nowhere near as bad as Herbalists will be, but it's still not a run I'm looking forward to.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Hippogryph was terrible, but 5 Marusaos with Master Classes now available is awesome. It's really easy to farm Razor Stones on floor 8 to make a bunch of Namioyogi+5 (STR boost). That plus Reblossom gives you a huge jump in damage as soon as you finish the 2nd Stratum. Using 3 Blade Dancers, but I kinda want to use 4.

Edit:
What's the damage formula for Power Charge on the Shokudaikiri? Is it worth using?

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 4, 2022

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Shyfted One posted:

Hippogryph was terrible, but 5 Marusaos with Master Classes now available is awesome. It's really easy to farm Razor Stones on floor 8 to make a bunch of Namioyogi+5 (STR boost). That plus Reblossom gives you a huge jump in damage as soon as you finish the 2nd Stratum. Using 3 Blade Dancers, but I kinda want to use 4.

Edit:
What's the damage formula for Power Charge on the Shokudaikiri? Is it worth using?

Shokudaikiri at level 5 is 2x and is worth it in regular parties. i have no idea how you would even go about surviving a power charge turn with 5 masuraos. Maybe shove them in the back and hope for the best?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
You either kill them or die trying.

BD (4 katana), BD (3 katana), BD (4 katana)
BM (Earthlain with Luck gear), BD (4 katana)

1st turn
Power Charge, Higher Ground, Power Charge
Haze Slash (lvl 4 for 120% speed boost to apply lvl 10 Spirit Sword), Armor Piercex2

2nd turn
Meteor Rainx2, Layered Bloomx2?, Sacred Tetradx2
Haze Slash, Air Bladex2

3rd turn
Same

Either the FOE or all of my team is dead by then.

Random Encounters is usually

1st turn
Hell Slash, Haze Slashx2?, Sacred Tetradx2
Haze Slash, Air Bladex2

None of those cost more than 9TP and if it lasts a 2nd turn I can usually finish it off with an auto attack. I'll use Meteor Rain if the enemy resists slashing damage.

My only concern is what the next easy to farm katana is going to be because needing 16 katanas is a lot.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 4, 2022

theshim
May 1, 2012

I would probably be too chicken to use more than one or two with 4 katanas, godspeed you crazy bastard.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Survived turn 1 with Roaming Wraith. 1st Blade Dancer had 8 hp and the 3rd had 11 hp. Then killed it from over 95% hp before it acted on turn 2.

Headless Hunter had me kamikaze a Blade Dancer on turn 2, but then still killed it on turn 3 before taking any other damage.

Thank god FOEs don't respawn that quickly. Strategy is race for the next shortcut. There are usually only 1-2 hard to navigate FOEs in the way so facetank right through them and return to town as needed then stroll to the next shortcut once everyone is alive again.

I can't wait to see this all blow up at some point. It'll probably be a boss I can't remember that I need to survive more than 4-5 turns against or where I need a lot more non-randomized magic damage because taking time to apply an elemental oil is time I don't have.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Undead King dead on turn 3 with everyone alive and only 1 person took damage I believe

lol, got greedy and went for the mining point before warping back and got blindsided and 2 people died before I could use Full Retreat to get away

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 4, 2022

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
4th Stratum is terrible. The enemies are so fast and the 16th floor is crap where the only helpful shortcut is after the stairs to the next level and behind a forced fight. I had my 2 main damage dealers dead right at the stairs so I went up to reset my threat? level, then came back down to get the shortcut in case I didn't have enough of the map covered to register it for the floor jump. Got killed by the forced fight. I was so angry. This stratum went so slow with having to constantly go back to town to revive people from the random counters. I farmed a few more levels and then it got a little better.

Best place to farm current katanas, unfortunately, is right outside the teleporter to the boss room. All 3 Saurians and at some point you'll have 3 people who can outspeed them and can farm relatively safely.

Crystal Dragon kills my front row with it's 1st attack including the one with armor (I could upgrade it by like 8-10def/mdf, but I don't know if that'd still let me survive). I screwed up the pre-emptive attack and was tired so just went for it to see how bad it'd be. The few attacks I got in did do some decent damage. I don't remember what triggers the form change, if it still attacks that turn after the form change, and if I can force the form change through damage. Maybe attempt using Head Binder with the Earthlain at the start? I'll actually have to use some sort of strategy this time as opposed to the last boss that died like any FOE.

Not a fan of this Stratum at all. Would definitely have spent a little more time getting a few new katanas in the 3rd or grinding a bit before the 4th Stratum if I were to do it again. 16th floor is a really rough start. Maybe replacing one of the +Strength katanas with the early +Agility katanas on each person would have been enough to act 1st a few levels earlier. I really should have tried that and should keep that in mind if I get past the Crystal Dragon and find my party to be too slow again to reliably kill on turn 1.

Edit: gently caress yeah, turn 4 with pre-emptive attack. Got a lucky turn 2 sleep proc and turn 3 head seal from Triple Strike right before it transformed back to elemental form. The one attack it got off didn't kill anyone this time because I got Claw Chip applied before the Dragon's turn.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 5, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Last night when I was super stoned I listened to the entire Etrian Odyssey discography and it was a soul enlightening and mind altering experience and I recommend it to anyone

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Up to Zombie Dragon now. Eternal Tyrant and Dryad weren't bad. Haven't made it through the secret area to the shortcut yet, but I think I'm going to have to rest and give everyone in the front row Meteor Rain or Layered Bloom and figure out who I'll use to apply oils. I did totally self-inflict a party wipe in a random battle with Doom Wheels because my Meteor Rain user landed a random fire attack. If I can't get head bind to keep the mist away then I'll have to lean on oils because it's too easy to blow myself up with a fire attack and even if Solor is left standing it's a party wipe. Or maybe I'll have to equip armor on my front row :barf: Not sure if Fire Mist would be enough to save them. Max Reincarnation has been very worth it on the front row.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Bless you for doing this so I don't have to. I'm especially impressed you're taking this into the postgame, I always stop my SCCs after the final boss.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It's honestly not that bad because of just how much damage the team can poo poo out. I burn out so much faster whenever I try this and the team sucks at killing things or they're very slow and have to deal with a lot of enemy gimmicks. Masurao is a pretty good class for this because you can easily max great key skills without needing tons of skill points. Your starting skills are pretty cool; Haze Slash, Armor Pierce, and Higher Ground will be used all game. The super strong boost you get as soon as you get past Hippogryph is just crazy with how easy it is to mine decent katanas and a lvl 30 Blademaster can max Reblossom, put 1 point into Sacred Tetrad, and 1 in Meteor Rain. Now for 4TP you do 480% damage every turn or 7TP for ~560% elemental damage. And that doesn't even factor in decreasing the target's defense by 40%, increasing your damage by 40%, or Peerless Demon. Scorpion FOE this Stratum also drops the mat for a katana that gives you a charge move and even though said Scorpion is resistant to cut you can get a guaranteed sneak attack on it and crush it with Meteor Rain in 2 turns before it even attacks. Totally the best time during the run and I miss it now that I have to actually think about what I'm doing again.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The leaves are changing, so I'm in the mood to replay an EO. Someone recommend me a fun Classic Mode party for EOU2, as I've only ever played through that one in Story Mode. Only restrictions are that I don't have the DLC, and I want each character to be a different class.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

guys etrian oddyssey is back

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1623447840990105608?s=20

theshim
May 1, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'm gonna replay eo3 for the first time in almost a decade aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
not the 3ds remakes?? IMMUNIZE IS BACK??? GIVE IT TO ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey there's the EO3 remake. :v: