Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What's strange is that ordinarily Shawn McManus is a really good penciler (he did a sprinkling of Moore's Swamp Thing issues, some memorable issues of Sandman, a strong string of horror comics in the 80s and early 90s, some of Tom Strong, a nice chunk of Vertigo stuff) with a clear, crisp style, and John Nyberg is in my mind THE Doom Patrol inker. Coloring aside this issue would still look quite bad although there are panels and sequences where you can tell that this is an example of good artists making weird decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Codependent Poster posted:

Ah, the mid to late 90s. The perfect storm of people still trying to figure out digital coloring while artists tried to draw like the Image guys.

You put that more succinctly than I did. Good job.

How Wonderful! posted:

What's strange is that ordinarily Shawn McManus is a really good penciler (he did a sprinkling of Moore's Swamp Thing issues, some memorable issues of Sandman, a strong string of horror comics in the 80s and early 90s, some of Tom Strong, a nice chunk of Vertigo stuff) with a clear, crisp style, and John Nyberg is in my mind THE Doom Patrol inker.

The line work is terrible but it's missing the "90's Style" over abundant cross hatching that partially defines the era - lines everywhere - to where it looks rushed in every way. So, assuming McManus is usually good, the whole thing reeks of "meeting a deadline"

But there are honestly better ways to do that and cut corners. Surprised it has fairly decent backgrounds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Question: when did Mike Mignola have the catastrophic stroke? I just read his Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom one-shot and it's just so much better than the stuff he did on Hellboy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jedit'd again

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
:dafuq:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It does not appear that Mike Mignola ever had a stroke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Other than the stroke of genius he had in creating the world of Hellboy and the BPRD.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Jedit posted:

Question: when did Mike Mignola have the catastrophic stroke? I just read his Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom one-shot and it's just so much better than the stuff he did on Hellboy.

omg right?? and why'd piet mondrian start painting all those squares or whatever 🙄 i miss his trees 😔

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

was killing some time reading some mid-90s What If? issues recently and GOOD LORD

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

was killing some time reading some mid-90s What If? issues recently and GOOD LORD

Quite a jaw on ol Pete.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Aunt May's butt chin deserves its own comic book.

edit: Raimi really missed out on not casting Bruce Campbell as Aunt May in his Spidey movies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
With Rosemary Harris as the wrestling announcer?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That's just a few steps away from looking like Don Martin art.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Some of that's really good. The wonky perspective on Peter's eyes in the bottom left is pretty lethal, but in the middle he has nice, cartoony composition. Very uneven page but I'd love to see more of the artist's work.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think it's great, it's just really jarring to see that style applied to Spider-Man(tm) :shrug:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That's kind of a weird issue, and sadly I can't find any of the promotional material from back then to confirm this, because iirc it was promoted as giving a sneak peak of what the style for the upcoming Spider-Man animated series would look like (this issue has a cover date of May, 1994 and the show debuted that November). So I think the very cartoony, elastic style is a deliberate thing-- one that drops out shortly into the story as well, since this is kind of a jam issue with pencils by Kirk Jarvinen, Andrew Wildman, Derek Yaniger, Jim Amash.

And, despite ostensibly being a promo for a kids' cartoon, it's a typically bleak What If? story, albeit an above average one scripted by Kurt Busiek. I believe the pages shared here are by Jarvinen, but I could be off. I know he did the cover, and some of the later pages which SLIGHTLY dial back the stylization look to me quite a bit like his Aquaman mini.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 1, 2022

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Some lovely faces from Aliens #10, courtesy of Salvador Larocca.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Getting tracing fodder tips from Greg Land, I see.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I feel like it's supposed to be the xeno's tail going through her head but there's no blood so it looks just enough like a bug trying to go down her throat and at this point I'm too afraid to ask for confirmation

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Some lovely faces from Aliens #10, courtesy of Salvador Larocca.

[in the most sarcastic voice imaginable] There's nowhere left for us to gooo~ Oh I'm so scaaaared~

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gnome de plume posted:

I feel like it's supposed to be the xeno's tail going through her head but there's no blood so it looks just enough like a bug trying to go down her throat and at this point I'm too afraid to ask for confirmation

There's little legs on the thing, the way they're positioned tells me it's a bug crawling into her mouth. Probably a lovely facehugger alternative because the old design wasn't rapey enough.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I remember liking his stuff in the 90's, but that's basically unrecognisable.

It's frustrating when someone who can actually draw has to go the tracing route.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Grendels Dad posted:

There's little legs on the thing, the way they're positioned tells me it's a bug crawling into her mouth. Probably a lovely facehugger alternative because the old design wasn't rapey enough.

It's derived from some burrowing creature on the planet they colonized, and yeah that's probably why.

I'm mostly following this series for the bad art which sort of makes me question my life choices.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's been tracing for ages.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It’s just so lifeless. I can’t stand it.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Chinston Wurchill posted:

If you're going to produce a comic with essentially no dialogue it helps to have good art, and the team on Step by Bloody Step is off to a nice start (from #1).

Nice, but the perspective of the image mirrored in the water is all wrong.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

u wanna explain how or

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spider-Man Unlimited #12 (1996)

Pencils: Paris Karounos; Steven Butler; Steve Geiger
Inks: Randy Emberlin; Derek Fisher; Paris Karounos; Scott Hanna; Al Milgrom; Steven Butler

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sliami posted:

u wanna explain how or

It shows objects near the ground further back from the water's edge. Reflected images viewed at an angle start further above the ground the further back you go. You can test this for yourself by holding a mirror with a frame against your monitor at a 90 degree angle - preferably turning it on first - and seeing what text and images are reflected in it. Keep the mirror at the same height and move it directly away from the monitor, and the lower lines of text will disappear while new lines will come into view above.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
it's a magic lake

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Darthemed posted:

"If they scanned my skull, they might realize it's a good six inches too long!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Darthemed posted:

Inks: Randy Emberlin; Derek Fisher; Paris Karounos; Scott Hanna; Al Milgrom; Steven Butler

You can't fool me, those are stills from that movie Scanners, ain't they?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have to ask, what is that story about? Why is everyone talking about skeletons, in a Spider-Man comic no less?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
This must be from that period where somebody found a Spider-Man skeleton in that smokestack Peter threw Ben down when he thought he was dead in ASM 149, and everyone was like "If there's a dead Spidey in the smokestack, then who's Ben?" (Turned out the skeleton was planted by the Jackal or somebody. Have I mentioned the Clone Saga is garbage?)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Senior Woodchuck posted:

This must be from that period where somebody found a Spider-Man skeleton in that smokestack Peter threw Ben down when he thought he was dead in ASM 149, and everyone was like "If there's a dead Spidey in the smokestack, then who's Ben?" (Turned out the skeleton was planted by the Jackal or somebody. Have I mentioned the Clone Saga is garbage?)
Yep, that's correct. Apparently, nobody had any plans for the skeleton aside from "wouldn't it be crazy if there was a Spidey skeleton in that smokestack?" and they eventually just threw up their hands and went "well it's just another clone Jackal planted in there to mess with Spider-Man" and the plotline was dropped.

There is a fun moment in this particular story where the scientists reveal the skeleton's identity by putting their data in a computer and having it show a reconstruction of the body, which obviously ends up looking like Peter Parker. But instead of everyone going "oh, this must mean Peter Parker is Spider-Man and this is a clone of him" like Peter fears they would, what actually happens is "welp, looks like scanning Peter Parker's skull messed something up and the system now thinks the skeleton is Peter Parker who is standing right there, well that was a waste of time then"

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 9, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And this is how the skeleton plot element is introduced in that story.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

DMorbid posted:

Yep, that's correct. Apparently, nobody had any plans for the skeleton aside from "wouldn't it be crazy if there was a Spidey skeleton in that smokestack?" and they eventually just threw up their hands and went "well it's just another clone Jackal planted in there to mess with Spider-Man" and the plotline was dropped.

There is a fun moment in this particular story where the scientists reveal the skeleton's identity by putting their data in a computer and having it show a reconstruction of the body, which obviously ends up looking like Peter Parker. But instead of everyone going "oh, this must mean Peter Parker is Spider-Man and this is a clone of him" like Peter fears they would, what actually happens is "welp, looks like scanning Peter Parker's skull messed something up and the system now thinks the skeleton is Peter Parker who is standing right there, well that was a waste of time then"

That's great actually. :allears:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Darthemed posted:

Click

Edit: SPIDER-MAN: THE FIVEHEAD SAGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spider-Man Unlimited #13 (1996)
Pencils: Joe Bennett
Inks: Randy Emberlin; Al Milgrom; Steve Montano
Mainly stood out to me because it seems like the penciler was interpreting Luke's tiara as a visor

Blue Beetle #27 (1943)
Pencils & inks: Sam Cooper (presumed)

All-Flash #10 (1943)
Pencils & inks: E. E. Hibbard

Spider-Man Unlimited #20 (1998)
Pencils: Joe Bennett
Inks: Joe Pimentel