Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve been meaning to watch that because wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC it was a confluence of events where Fox had to delay their big holiday tentpole release and so they just needed something to throw out there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
At least it's now canon that Fred Savage is part of the MCU, which means Deadpool can tell Wanda about how he's "friends" with him and take her to meet him and he can sign her DVD box set of The Wonder Years.

I'd watch that movie. A road trip with Wade and Wanda on the way to meet Fred Savage.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
For context, btw, here in the UK the other big legacy addition to Star that's being touted is the Alien franchise so I doubt the Defenders shows will be censored

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think for movies X-Men work a lot better if they aren't in the same world where everyone loves Captain America and Iron-Man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It doesn’t make any sense to me to put the X-Men in another world. Yeah it’s nice to be able to bring in the old actors as they’re available or make sense but you want to tell your own stories with your own characters and why wouldn’t you set them in your world?

The comic book world loved Cap and Iron Man too. A fundamental part of X-Men stories is all that ingrained bigotry and poo poo. Like they’ve spent like half their existence as outlaws or in the shadows or untrusted.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been really trying with Naomi but tbh i just don't like it all that much

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

STAC Goat posted:

It doesn’t make any sense to me to put the X-Men in another world. Yeah it’s nice to be able to bring in the old actors as they’re available or make sense but you want to tell your own stories with your own characters and why wouldn’t you set them in your world?

The comic book world loved Cap and Iron Man too. A fundamental part of X-Men stories is all that ingrained bigotry and poo poo. Like they’ve spent like half their existence as outlaws or in the shadows or untrusted.

I just think, specifically for movies with the tighter structure than decades of multiple comics a month, the mutant metaphor works better if you don't have to deal with the fact Thor is around and people don't seem to have much of a problem with him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the inherent irrationality of bigotry is just heightened by that and it was always a component. Bigots don’t make sense they’re just scared and/or angry. So if you introduce mutants into the MCU you introduce the same basic ideas. Instead of aliens and heroes and monsters it’s the paranoia and fear of random people or even your own children being different and dangerous. And the bigoted places people go time and time again when they fear that kind of change.

They did it already in Agents of SHIELD with Inhumans. That’s probably not gonna come up unless they surprise us with Quake in Ms Marvel or something but it’s the same ideas as in the comics with mutants.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I've been really trying with Naomi but tbh i just don't like it all that much

The premiere episode was just....bad. I haven't gone back since.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Conservative Americans were terrified of the Soviet Union for decades but think an authoritarian Russia interfering with our elections and invading its neighbors is fine.

Or more aptly they love cops with guns (the Avengers) but hate Black people with guns (Mutants).

Either way it's certainly possible to have Mutant bigotry in the MCU.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
All you really need is a voice that points blame at mutants being a threat, and there will be an unfortunately large group of people that will buy into that without issue.

And you have such voices in the X-Men lore.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It never made sense to me that people would draw a distinction between Captain America and Cyclops where they’d only want one of them saving the city. Either they’re both terrifying freaks or they’re not. How would anyone even know that Cyclops got his superpowers in a slightly different way from other superheroes?

The bigotry metaphor breaks down when they’re all beautiful white people with godlike powers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Marvels explained it enough for me, people don't fear when powers come from science, that you weren't born as a guy made of orange rocks, science did it to you! But if you are born blue and can teleport, well thats scary. A big part of X-men hate has always been the idea that mutants would replace regular humans.

They're not called Homo Superior because they're just big Bowie fans.

Plus with Sam as Cap, he can see beyond the bigotry and have mutants take part of in bigger adventures/movies.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know that this is the tired, overused answer, but real life bigotry doesn't actually make any sense at all either friends.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I AM GRANDO posted:

It never made sense to me that people would draw a distinction between Captain America and Cyclops where they’d only want one of them saving the city. Either they’re both terrifying freaks or they’re not. How would anyone even know that Cyclops got his superpowers in a slightly different way from other superheroes?

The bigotry metaphor breaks down when they’re all beautiful white people with godlike powers.

This argument only works if you've never read the examples of the hate mail Claremont got in the 70s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This argument only works if you've never read the examples of the hate mail Claremont got in the 70s.

I thought most of the hatemail was about adding a Black woman (Storm) to the team.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I thought most of the hatemail was about adding a Black woman (Storm) to the team.

I'm pretty sure they hated every single new character because of either being from a different country, or being colored.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kinda wanna see the letter from the one guy only and specifically mad about an Irishman being added.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You don't have to go far back in history to see discrimination and hatred in the United States toward the Irish.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

You don't have to go far back in history to see discrimination and hatred in the United States toward the Irish.

It definitely existed in the past, but I think post JFK there weren't any bars with signs saying "No Blacks, no Irish, no Dogs." they just had a sign saying "No Blacks."

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Banshee's early appearances really leaned toward the old caricatures of the ape-featured Irishman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Because he very proudly tells everyone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

theironjef posted:

Kinda wanna see the letter from the one guy only and specifically mad about an Irishman being added.

The one I remembered being posted in the X-thread complained he should go back to Ireland to fix their issues and leave America to the American superheroes like the original Xmen and Wolverine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So if it gets renewed (which is still kind of up in the air) the next season of Legends of Tomorrow is going to have Booster Gold, who showed up in the most recent finale played by Donald Faison.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm conflicted.

Do I want Zach Braff to stop getting work, or do I want Zach Braff as Ted Kord?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aphrodite posted:

I'm conflicted.

Do I want Zach Braff to stop getting work, or do I want Zach Braff as Ted Kord?

Just have him be the voice of Skeets.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Storm was a big part of it, but the writer was also terribly upset about a big stinky Commie in Colossus and Nightcrawler, why, he could have no kind of life looking like THAT all the time so he needed to die heroically. Colossus and Storm could go back to Africa(!) and get married and never be heard from again. He graciously allowed that Banshee could guest star sometime with only, drumroll, Wolverine being worth keeping on the team full time. Shock!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

I know that this is the tired, overused answer, but real life bigotry doesn't actually make any sense at all either friends.

I've never found this very persuasive, because I see real-world bigotry as being more prone to conflating what are actually distinct groups of people than it is to draw sharp delineations between superficially similar ones (see: Sikhs/Muslims, or recent anti-Asian hate crimes that target ethnic Koreans and Japanese rather than just the Chinese who are "responsible for COVID").

the current Krakoa status quo has made it somewhat more plausible that mutants would be treated differently, though

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 7, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to a recent interview with Matt Reeves the HBO Max GCPD TV spin off of The Batman is pretty much dead and focus is shifting over to the show about Arkham Asylum. The Penguin spin off is apparently still in the works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

I've never found this very persuasive, because I see real-world bigotry as being more prone to conflating what are actually distinct groups of people than it is to draw sharp delineations between superficially similar ones (see: Sikhs/Muslims, or recent anti-Asian hate crimes that target ethnic Koreans and Japanese rather than just the Chinese who are "responsible for COVID").

Now maybe, but who is and isn't white enough is a long part of US history.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDsrZk9yxwk
Trailer for the long gestating DMZ series. This bills it as a limited series which (usually) means one and done. Outside of taking the general premise it looks like they aren't actually adapting the story of the comic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

muscles like this! posted:

So according to a recent interview with Matt Reeves the HBO Max GCPD TV spin off of The Batman is pretty much dead and focus is shifting over to the show about Arkham Asylum. The Penguin spin off is apparently still in the works.

Makes sense. GCPD is a cool concept but it's been pretty over done, especially if they wanted a prequel

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Makes sense. GCPD is a cool concept but it's been pretty over done, especially if they wanted a prequel

It was supposed to be a prequel? Isn't that just basically redoing the show Gotham?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

It was supposed to be a prequel? Isn't that just basically redoing the show Gotham?

The Batman was year 2 while the show was going to be year 1. So Batman would be around but not established so much.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
That would have been cooler than a Penguin series. I loved Colin Farrell's Penguin but shows about villains can lack a sense of trajectory. Like who's his "antagonist" even going to be? Is it just going to be him making moves again Falcone loyalists?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sgt. Politeness posted:

That would have been cooler than a Penguin series. I loved Colin Farrell's Penguin but shows about villains can lack a sense of trajectory. Like who's his "antagonist" even going to be? Is it just going to be him making moves again Falcone loyalists?

So Gotham again?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A prequel sounds bad. The Penguin one at least has possibilities open if they want to do his life or his current situation after the events of the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

A prequel sounds bad. The Penguin one at least has possibilities open if they want to do his life or his current situation after the events of the movie.

That was basically the idea, that it would be a rise of Penguin after the events of The Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait did Farrel sign on for that?