Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Barudak posted:

Get two lord runes.
Get access to the atlus plateau (this is separate. I went up there while I had 0 lord runes)
Go to the north side of the capital city and beat the boss guarding the entrance tunnel.

by the north side of the capital city are you talking about where the minor erdtree is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

The capital city might be the best dungeon From Soft has ever made, I hesitate to even call it merely a "dungeon", it's an entire murder town fun fiesta. Just incredible on every level.

The basement is awful, and two different endings hinge on doing a whole lot of it.

That said, yeah, as a total package it kicks rear end as a zone even if it tries to pull a bloodborne but lovely and with no explanation

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CYBEReris posted:

getting stronger to defeat margit is great but the real critical progression is getting jellyfish to level 2

I finally did it just using the strategy of keeping the little guy alive as a distraction and bouncing Margit back and forth. Lvl 20 with a +1 twinblade. :feelsgood:

e: probably took 2hrs though, so not such a great accomplishment but I did enjoy it. kinda new to souls games

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Barudak posted:

The basement is awful, and two different endings hinge on doing a whole lot of it.

That said, yeah, as a total package it kicks rear end as a zone even if it tries to pull a bloodborne but lovely and with no explanation

Oh, I haven't found a basement yet. Guess that's... Something to look forward to? I think I'm already screwed out of one of those endings anyways because my game bugged out and a necessary NPC Invader refuses to spawn, a fact I only found out after googling.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

actionjackson posted:

by the north side of the capital city are you talking about where the minor erdtree is?

Technically you just need to get into the capitol city at all - there's a couple different ways to do it and some of them let you skip the boss at the gate or the Atlas Plateau altogether.

But just follow the walls of the city north, you can't miss him.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I've got about 40 hours in and I think I'm about done with this game. Don't get me wrong, it's somewhere between good and great, but it gives me the same "Best game I've ever hated" vibe as Sekiro. I enjoyed the exploration and art direction, but every single encounter seems to be calibrated to be hard, not fun, and I haven't enjoyed fighting a single one of the 40+ cut & paste bosses I've run into.

It's probably just a matter of personal taste, but I dunno- as much as I loved DS1-3 a lot of Elden Ring feels like a teenager got ahold of FromSoft's dev kit and kitbashed the same 4-5 cheap encounters together several hundred times across an open world.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Very weird bug started happening today. My controller (Series X or whatever) started failing to register any face buttons. The power is still on, the control sticks still function and register, but all of the face buttons and triggers stopped working. If I go into the big picture mode controller configs and switch to a random config then everything works fine, but the configs in big picture mode are crazy. I don't want to use those. If I switch back to the Fromsoft config then I only get sticks...

This is after 38 hours of using that Fromsoft config with no issue???

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016

RatHat posted:

What do you get from completing the Volcano Manor questline? I really want Rykard’s sword but if I kill him it’ll fail the quest so I’m debating if I want to wait or not. By the way at what point does the questline fail? Is it just after killing Rykard(aka can I still do everything in Volcano manor except Rykard and still be fine)?

Finishing the quest line also let's you skip straight to the boss fight as a bonus. You get several armor sets, access to some spells as rewards, and the fanciest whip in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I finally did it just using the strategy of keeping the little guy alive as a distraction and bouncing Margit back and forth. Lvl 20 with a +1 twinblade. :feelsgood:

e: probably took 2hrs though, so not such a great accomplishment but I did enjoy it. kinda new to souls games

You honestly beat that fight while pretty underleveled, and severely undergeared. take more credit than you're giving yourself

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Always funny during co-op when you and the host take a hit from the boss, leaving you at 60-70% hp and him dead.

Never putting points in vigor must make this game agonizing to play.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh poo poo I've been playing all week and just realized I forgot all about that weird painting I found on my first day

I did however make friends with a tall wolf, helped him kill a guy, then later went waay up a bunch of ladders and beat up a salamander/dragon/sword monster thing.

None of these things were on my list of Things to do in Elden Ring When I Get Home Today.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Only 0.1% of players have fought the Shaded Castle dude which I think is hilarious. It's like, easily one of the most obvious points of interest on that map!

i think most people get a taste of the dark perfumers and then promptly leave because gently caress those guys and their unrollable fire bullshit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

i think most people get a taste of the dark perfumers and then promptly leave because gently caress those guys and their unrollable fire bullshit

Those dudes are probably the second worst enemy in the game, topped only by the dual blade sword bastards in Sol Castle.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Man the chandelier drops on Renalla are so annoying. Basically the only thing that blocks me from getting phase 2 every run. Is there any way to actually handle them? They seem fully random and unavoidable except by luck.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I just saw FightinCowboy's NG+ 150 build and wow, yeah, you really can get away with minstatting your weapons and then putting everything else into your spellcasting. This game really does seem like it's built for NG+ for maximum Fuckeraroundery once you have all your sweet swag and bullshit spells.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Gamerofthegame posted:

see, I disagree. The game is fun and all but it feels extremely copy and paste, from the catacombs with either skeleton or rear end in a top hat imp (or sometimes both) to the eldtree boss to the giant caravans to the camps with the same guys but different armor depending on region to the same exact three random, out of place ruin blocks to the same exact house with a little windmill looking annex that has either a NPC and/or a not-bonfire in it to the watchdog to the necromancer boat to the flavors of regular miner or laser miner to the etc.

I felt this way early on, when basically trying to level a bit. Things seriously picked up about 10 hours in, largely post-Godfrey and having lots of places to explore.

Enemy-wise, you keep seeing new ones as you go along the story, and things tend to be placed with what makes perfect sense lore-wise. Pasting wise, only wolves/dogs/soldiers sometimes feel a little too populous, but they're completely skippable at virtually all times, so I don't mind too much. Erdtree Avatars are so far the only repeat boss that has been consistently rather boring (they get some themed abilities, but the fight is fundamentally the same - unlike others, that present some neat surprises).

And tons of things about the story that REALLY picked up momentum, holy poo poo.

One gripe so far is that gameplay wise, the overworld of Lakes is just not that exciting and has some bullshit in it. Which is just a comedown after the largely interesting Stormveil.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So does anyone in the game ever actually say "Ohhhh, Elden Ring?".

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Eggnogium posted:

Man the chandelier drops on Renalla are so annoying. Basically the only thing that blocks me from getting phase 2 every run. Is there any way to actually handle them? They seem fully random and unavoidable except by luck.

Little sparkles/flames/droplets or whatever show up in the area where the chandelier will drop, and if I recall correctly a crescendo sound cue (that one may be in my imagination though). Should be easy to spot once you know it's there. I got hit once and after that never again (had to refight once because I tried to ignore the Bloodhound in phase 2 - bad idea).

My Mother The Car
Feb 15, 2001
When does the hurting stop?
rock sling whips rear end; great sorcery

staggers fuckin' everything , orbs are big and purple

10/10

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

uuuh i think i just locked myself into a game ending based on feeding a lady 'grapes'

extreme spoilers follow, probably only read this if oyu did the same thing as me:

i was dicking around in the capital sewers and i bumped into my good friend hyetta, who told me to take off my clothes and go to a door. suffice to say i have now upgraded from the lacking two fingers. im very impressed that it actually permenantly changes the player's body.

now i think i need to find a way to the mountain zone.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
So I'm not saying you should run Flame, Grant me Strength with Bloodflame Blade with the Jellyfish Shield buff with the Winged Sword Talisman and fast slashing weapons to really chunk down bosses, but I'm not saying you shouldn't either.

Idiot Doom Spiral fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 4, 2022

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Holy gently caress you guys werent kidding about stormveil castle

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eggnogium posted:

look for the falling fire sparks and run out of the area they're falling in, it takes a good 5-10 seconds before it actually falls after the flames start falling

Barudak
May 7, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

uuuh i think i just locked myself into a game ending based on feeding a lady 'grapes'

extreme spoilers follow, probably only read this if oyu did the same thing as me:

i was dicking around in the capital sewers and i bumped into my good friend hyetta, who told me to take off my clothes and go to a door. suffice to say i have now upgraded from the lacking two fingers. im very impressed that it actually permenantly changes the player's body.

now i think i need to find a way to the mountain zone.

Iirc you aren't locked in yet, but there will come a choice of who will get to carry the flame and saying you'll do it (which you can only say after meeting three fingers) is the point where you're locked in to that ending and out of the others

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

So I'm not saying you should run Flame, Grant me Strength with Bloodflame Blade with the Jellyfish Shield buff with the Winged Sword Talisman and fast slashing weapons to really chunk down bosses, but I'm not saying you shouldn't either.

The only summon buddy I need is another me.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Infinite Karma posted:

There have been a lot of posts about how lovely most sorceries are compared to Carian Slicer and Glintstone Pebble... are any of the offensive incantations worth using or even good?

I leveled up Faith to 24 to get on the Sword of N&S train (it's very cool, but soooo much slower than Hoarfrost Stomp by the way), so that unlocks a lot of doors, but is it potentially worth swapping my staff for a sign? I basically only use Rock Toss and Glintstone Pebble at this point to hit enemies that my sword art tracking won't be able to figure out.

Glintstone Icecrag is the only pure ranged nuke I use other than Loretta's (which is purely for pulling). It's similar damage per FP to Pebble, but much higher damage per cast time, and it applies frostbite which is a nice chunk of damage. Also it looks cool. The most important thing.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Only 0.1% of players have fought the Shaded Castle dude which I think is hilarious. It's like, easily one of the most obvious points of interest on that map!

Elemer is a cool and challenging boss, too. I don't think any other boss is so aggressive about punishing estus use. You need to be in another zipcode for him not to hit you with his force-controlled laser sword when you drink. His sword made me want to try an arcane build, even though the weapon art is probably impossible to use frequently on bosses.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My biggest complaint about this game is how often I crouch on accident.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Barudak posted:

The only summon buddy I need is another me.

Got the ash you're talking about today and it seems severely broken.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I really like that your buffs also effect Spirits. Makes it feel slightly more viable to be a support cleric.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How do you reach the Nokstella golden tree? I'm going to be level 1000 off these blobs by the time I find the path

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I thought I was done with giant ants but no I had to go do a quest line that lead me back to another section of this hell pit.

> : (

I don't even particularly have a phobia related but when you make them the size of small vehicles I might start.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can weapon arts be buffed by anything? Like for example this frost stomp

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wandered around Caelid for like an hour, teleported from a fort to a big empty castle, and they’re having a party there? Anyway they said it’s time to fight Radahn so now me and my 11 new friends are. I got my second great rune like 70 minutes before this lmao

My god he sucks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I press touchpad to open map, pressing touchpad again should CLOSE the map

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Eggnogium posted:

You can see burning debris dropping from one well before it falls. I just watched the floor and avoided them that way. It was her loving tombstone children missiles I couldn't figure out how to dodge. Good riddance to her.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got to Malekith. He seems ok, only really annoying attack is his big channeled AoE at the end of combos. Tbh maybe I need to use a faster weapon, its a nightmare to counter attack/punish with claymore and the bigass dragons tooth. Maybe I will get my Heavy Epee up to +19 or +20 from 16?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JBP posted:

How do you reach the Nokstella golden tree? I'm going to be level 1000 off these blobs by the time I find the path

There's a stairway next to the bonfire. Take that up and follow the path to the end where there's a small church, then look along the left wall for an easy-to-miss hallway leading to an elevator.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
This game does a good job of pushing me right to the boundaries of my comfort zone, and then goes ahead and pushes again right past it. Whenever I'm not sure where to go, the answer is "the place you don't feel quite ready for." Sometimes I don't feel like I'm really gaining any power until I go back to an earlier area and decimate things. I've still only got 2 story bosses down and I'm now in an new area and I have no idea if I'm in the right place. A forward assault ended my life quickly at the chokepoint I'm facing now, and a little investigation revealed a ladder to the side allowing me to make a cheesier approach. It's like they had me in mind.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Got the ash you're talking about today and it seems severely broken.

I do love that it seems like there are some seriously OP ways to brute force the game all the way to the end. I get the impression a lot of it doesn't even require much combat to find either.

Sekiro if I'm right was actually more "learn to parry or you can't beat the game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Encountering birds with sword feet that breathe fire and I haven't even scratched the surface of the oh my gently caress type of enemies this game has. Stormveil Castle is the gift of fuckery that keeps on giving.