Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

checkplease posted:

Escape from New York was already on the 4K Carpenter pack. Is this new release a different scan or something? Or more features?

The four pack wasn't US. Since Canal released that set, and the Shout release says "4K transfer from Studio Canal", it'll probably be the same transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm starting to run into the problem of having nothing to do with my blu-rays for things getting 4k UHD upgrades. I'm not keeping old copies of things, but my friends aren't big into physical media and also don't want horror movies laying around for their kids to find, and I'm not taking a $30-$50 blu-ray collector's edition to 2nd & Charles for $5 in-store credit.

I've definitely slowed down my purchases over this problem.

Sell them to goons. I've done pretty well selling nerd poo poo to goons.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

MacheteZombie posted:

Tbh I posted that link because I thought someone taking the time to take 3-5 photos of every actual slipcover they were selling and individually pricing them (they have some slips for $15!) to be a bit silly. I wouldn't go out of my way to sell them either, but I also like keeping mine.

I'm curious, do you keep any? Like Vinegar Syndrome has a line called VSA where they're all limited runs and on the slip they hand write the number your movie is from that run, would you throw that out too?

I dig the ripping everything to plex approach that's pretty cool.

Nah I really don't keep any, but then again I never buy based on if it has a cool slip cover or inserts. I am just after the main titles as for me this is a collection hobby as much as a love of film, and the physical media attribute is simply a means to an end.

The plex server just became required once shelving space was no longer cutting it. I'm on the 4th iteration of the storage backend at this point, since blu ray rips take up a LOT of space lol.

^ The bottom one is full of 14TBs, the middle is full of 10TBs. lol.

e: if i noticed hand written serials or something i'd prolly not toss it, no. Never seen that though.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 1, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

Sell them to goons. I've done pretty well selling nerd poo poo to goons.

yeah, I've had pretty good success just knocking 30% off eBay price for stuff and using pirateship for cheap shipping

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sniep posted:

drat that's intense lol. Super convenient for accessibility though.

I've considered Nas solutions before but I just don't rip enough to really justify the initial costs..... I say as i mull over which batch of movies I plan to buy in the near future.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sniep posted:

Nah I really don't keep any, but then again I never buy based on if it has a cool slip cover or inserts. I am just after the main titles as for me this is a collection hobby as much as a love of film, and the physical media attribute is simply a means to an end.

The plex server just became required once shelving space was no longer cutting it. I'm on the 4th iteration of the storage backend at this point, since blu ray rips take up a LOT of space lol.

e: if i noticed hand written serials or something i'd prolly not toss it, no. Never seen that though.

This is awesome, what RAID configuration are you using for that? I'm guessing no cloud backups since you've still got all the originals in storage. I'm looking to build a Plex server and am trying to decide what and how much storage to buy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is there a way to rip UHDs yet? I just looked on Amazon and it looks like UHD drives for PCs exist, but I didn't know if you could rip them the same way as regular Blu-Rays.

I'd imagine a rip of a single UHD would be huge, and with all the UHDs I have, my collection would be enormous if I were to rip them all.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Finally got my VinSyn order for this month. Pretty impressed with Wolfpack's VSA packaging.

Handwritten number as an example:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Escape from New York was already on the 4K Carpenter pack. Is this new release a different scan or something? Or more features?

Worth noting that StudioCanal owns four Carpenter films worldwide except for the North American rights, so Shout is just licensing the master from them while the film itself from MGM. That just leaves The Fog to be released. Worth noting They Live and Prince of Darkness were also StudioCanal masters, but the North American rights are with Universal instead (SC owns them via Carolco since they were coproductions).

Looks like I can safely sell off my Carpenter steelbooks except for Big Trouble in Little China.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So I’ve been going through and ripping movies too, but I’ve been also compressing them. I don’t have the money to be buying 100s of TBs of space. I know it is possible to rip UHDs, but not all drives work with MakeMKV, the program I use. The one I have isn’t able to do so, but I read I can flash the drive to make it work. Not sure what that means, I’m guessing trying to change it back to an earlier firmware. Also heard that it can potentially break the drive, so I’m waiting until I get all the others done.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

Finally got my VinSyn order for this month. Pretty impressed with Wolfpack's VSA packaging.

Handwritten number as an example:

Ooh! I've never gotten a nice round number, mine is 266.

Also search your box, I got a patch in my bundle.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Got the patch and replacement disk for flesh for frankenstein!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sirotan posted:

This is awesome, what RAID configuration are you using for that? I'm guessing no cloud backups since you've still got all the originals in storage. I'm looking to build a Plex server and am trying to decide what and how much storage to buy.

it's the synology specific fork of mdraid in raid-5 basically. it has glue to expand and stripe disks weirdly if you mix+match sizes, which i don't explicitly need, but i figured i'd just go with default options for the platform since i was paying for turnkey.

No cloud tho i did investigate it first, when i started my first real nas i compared pricing of the chassis + disks to AWS S3 and a few others and it worked out that i'd pay for the hardware in 7 months of AWS.

My library has only grown since and i've never went thru a hardware iteration faster than the cost of doing it in the cloud.

I do have the originals to re-rip, but just pretending my library crashed right now, that's 2,145 movies to re-rip. Let's say I could get 4 done per night, every night, without missing a day. I'd have it back online in about One And A Half Years. (I've been collecting blu-ray and ripping them since 2008, 2011 respectively)

Thus i also have a 1:1 files copy on external disks just in tote bags off-site that i update monthly-ish. If you're thinking "God the costs here are just adding up, even more disks?" yep you're getting it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Rageaholic posted:

Is there a way to rip UHDs yet? I just looked on Amazon and it looks like UHD drives for PCs exist, but I didn't know if you could rip them the same way as regular Blu-Rays.

I'd imagine a rip of a single UHD would be huge, and with all the UHDs I have, my collection would be enormous if I were to rip them all.

I'm pretty sure MakeMKV can do it but i've never tried.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

yeah, I've had pretty good success just knocking 30% off eBay price for stuff and using pirateship for cheap shipping

Yeah I more or less do this. I always try selling things in SA Mart first because ebay is so much bullshit and the fees are ridiculous. I've never put something on SA Mart that didn't sell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rageaholic posted:

You don't even need a UHD drive to do it, there's a list here of what'll work https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Egbert Souse posted:

Worth noting that StudioCanal owns four Carpenter films worldwide except for the North American rights, so Shout is just licensing the master from them while the film itself from MGM. That just leaves The Fog to be released. Worth noting They Live and Prince of Darkness were also StudioCanal masters, but the North American rights are with Universal instead (SC owns them via Carolco since they were coproductions).

Looks like I can safely sell off my Carpenter steelbooks except for Big Trouble in Little China.

Ah ok, looks like I got the studio canal 4K 4 pack last year. But picked it up from Amazon so didn’t realize their were various distributors.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I know Lawrence of Arabia is like the gold standard of UHD’s but if I already have the 50th anniversary blu ray, how much of an upgrade will it be?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It is the same transfer from 2010 (scanned at 8k and reduced to 4k) for the 2012 release but they redid the coloring due to HDR and there were several more unspecified fixes they had to do due to the increased detail of UHD. This is from the restoration notes from the Columbia book on it. I can't say how much better the 4k is over the BD since I only have watched the 4k HDR version but the HDR with the night and desert scenes are really good as one would expect.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

yoohoo posted:

I know Lawrence of Arabia is like the gold standard of UHD’s but if I already have the 50th anniversary blu ray, how much of an upgrade will it be?

It really depends on your screen size, but I'd say the biggest difference is the famous rescue scene. Pre-DVD, you saw nothing. On DVD, you could see a dot. Blu-ray lets you see what is probably a man on a camel. In 4K, you can actually see it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Finally got a UHD player on the way, and then lo and behold, Synapse puts out a 4K re-release of Phenomena. Perfect timing!

I didn't need to save up any of that tax refund anyways. :shepspends:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

yoohoo posted:

You know what, I wouldn't even say that Lawrence of Arabia is the gold standard of UHDs. It's just one of the most visually stunning and epic films ever made, so naturally people do want to own it in the best format possible and it was certainly exciting to have it with HDR and overall the UHD is definitely the best it's ever looked for home viewing.

But there are other UHDs that stand out because they're making a bigger leap from what may have been an old outdated blu ray. For example The Shining UHD in my opinion completely blows the old blu ray out of the water. Or The Wizard of Oz, there's just no comparing the UHD to any other format I've seen the film on. So while Lawrence is definitely in the top-tier, it may not be the transformative, "holy poo poo I can't believe how much better this movie looks" experience you're hoping for.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Baraka seems like something that would have landed on UHD a long time ago. But hasn’t of course. Most of the movie is good demo material to sell TVs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Baraka seems like something that would have landed on UHD a long time ago. But hasn’t of course. Most of the movie is good demo material to sell TVs.

Apparently, both Baraka and Samsara are with Arrow and had new remasters done within the last year or two. Samsara is already available on iTunes with a 4K HDR version with Atmos. Baraka apparently needs/needed a new scan because a short-sighted decision was made where despite the film being scanned in 8K for the HD remaster on Blu-ray, they decided to only keep the 1080p downsample to save costs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently, both Baraka and Samsara are with Arrow and had new remasters done within the last year or two. Samsara is already available on iTunes with a 4K HDR version with Atmos. Baraka apparently needs/needed a new scan because a short-sighted decision was made where despite the film being scanned in 8K for the HD remaster on Blu-ray, they decided to only keep the 1080p downsample to save costs.
I got Samsara on Blu-Ray several years ago and it looked amazing. I bet it would look mindblowing on UHD. I might need to check out that iTunes version.

Is there a way to watch iTunes movies on, say, my PS5? I know there's an Apple TV app for PS5 but I didn't know if that included the ability to watch iTunes stuff or if it was just Apple TV shows.

I could watch it on my iPhone, but I'd rather watch it on my TV.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I found a blu-ray of FW Murnau's Sunrise in a thrift store. I've never seen it but for three bucks I wasn't passing that up. It also has some of the worst cover art I've ever seen but you can't have everything.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I found a blu-ray of FW Murnau's Sunrise in a thrift store. I've never seen it but for three bucks I wasn't passing that up. It also has some of the worst cover art I've ever seen but you can't have everything.

That’s a good find.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My favourite cover art will always be the 3 star recommendation from Video Movie Guide for the DVD of Aguirre, the Wrath of God.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Amazon had the complete BBC Sherlock series on Blu-ray on sale for $45 so I bought it.

Edit— Limited-time deal: Sherlock: Seasons 1-4 & Abominable Bride Gift Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074JQDTKH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_dl_RK1KN1R3F02MTQJ6XHFZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 3, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My friend who works at a record /used media store just got this across his counter:

Looked it up and it's truly very special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEalc5AbFM

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Lost Highway is coming to UHD via Criterion.

Give me all the Lynch in 4K. ALL of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nightmare Cinema posted:

:bisonyes:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have still not watched Lost Highway, so perfect.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That’s a good find.

I go to Savers multiple times a week looking for records and movies and I'm always pretty hyped when I find cool poo poo like that. Last week I got a Kung Fu Hustle blu-ray there.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

checkplease posted:

I have still not watched Lost Highway, so perfect.

LOL never mind it was some troll on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/TheDiscFather/status/1499503934519406629

26 days early there, buddy.

EDIT: gently caress me again it might be legit.

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1499431934375739392

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 4, 2022

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Just got my UHD player in, watching The Shining right now. It looks amazing, but I noticed that during the overhead tracking shots it's very juddery like there's missing frames.

Would that be the TV, the player, the HDMI cable... all of the above? The rest of the movie seems fine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I keep hoping their next UHD will be The Rock.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Just got my UHD player in, watching The Shining right now. It looks amazing, but I noticed that during the overhead tracking shots it's very juddery like there's missing frames.

Would that be the TV, the player, the HDMI cable... all of the above? The rest of the movie seems fine.

Could be any of those things. If you're using an older hdmi cable look for a 2.1 hdmi cable.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not only using a cable, I'm using an HDMI splitter/switcher so I guess I need to run the cable directly into the TV or get two 2.1 HDMI cables. The only reason I'm running it on the switcher is that I also run an HDMI out from my PC, and the PC doesn't play nice with the switcher.

Also, today I learned that you can see the creepy bear man's butt in that infamous scene. He has his butt flap open, and in all the versions I've seen previously it just blends into the fur, so that's a thing. Thanks UHD!

e: The cable coming out from the UHD is actually a GE cable which is (allegedly) "certified" for 4k, so it might just be a matter of plugging it right into my TV.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not only using a cable, I'm using an HDMI splitter/switcher so I guess I need to run the cable directly into the TV or get two 2.1 HDMI cables. The only reason I'm running it on the switcher is that I also run an HDMI out from my PC, and the PC doesn't play nice with the switcher.

Also, today I learned that you can see the creepy bear man's butt in that infamous scene. He has his butt flap open, and in all the versions I've seen previously it just blends into the fur, so that's a thing. Thanks UHD!

I'd try running the cable you have directly to the TV first then.