Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Freudian slippers posted:

If the leaked plan was to be believed, they didn't expect to conquer Kyiv within 15 days, they expected the entire war to be over within 15 days. That's just not happening.

Yeah, they wouldn't have dropped paras on top of the capital day 1 if they had believed it would have taken over a week to get land troops down there to back them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Franks Happy Place posted:

You feign a long retreat, let the enemy form a salient, and then attack their flanks. It's something von Manstein did to Zhukov at Kharkov.

steinrokkan posted:

It means allowing the enemy to advance in a controlled fashion by employing defense in depth, then strike at the flanks as the enemy advance is stretched and embattled, destroying it. The term itself was indeed coined by Manstein for his defense in Kharkiv in 1943, but I don't think as a concept it's anything unusual or attributable to one person.

Thanks! I tried to read a few articles but it wasn't clicking. This makes a lot of sense now.

If this ends up being what happens then the writers for this season of Earth aren't even trying anymore.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I think 3 days was their estimate?

You dont drop unsupported paratroopers on a city of 2 million if you think its going to be a long war

Seems to suggest Putin believes his own bullshit

Despera fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 4, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

steinrokkan posted:

It means allowing the enemy to advance in a controlled fashion by employing defense in depth, then strike at the flanks as the enemy advance is stretched and embattled, destroying it. The term itself was indeed coined by Manstein for his defense in Kharkiv in 1943, but I don't think as a concept it's anything unusual or attributable to one person.

It would be ironic if the Russian army is tricked into doing the same thing again near Kharkiv.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Remember how we thought 2016 was the worst year ever? Then 2017 came around and we were nostalgic about the happy times of 2016. Then 2018...etc. I thought 2022 would be the first year to break that cycle. If Putin gets kicked out of power, and perhaps a Kremlin window, 2023 is hopefully it.

edit: gently caress, jinxed

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

we really need to cut off russian gas and oil. gently caress em. rip the rotten foundation down

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Ola posted:

Remember how we thought 2016 was the worst year ever? Then 2017 came around and we were nostalgic about the happy times of 2016. Then 2018...etc. I thought 2022 would be the first year to break that cycle. If Putin gets kicked out of power, and perhaps a Kremlin window, 2023 is hopefully it.

edit: gently caress, jinxed

I don't even remember why 2016 was meant to be bad? US elections?

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

we really need to cut off russian gas and oil. gently caress em. rip the rotten foundation down

Do you really want the living prices to go up 500% in a week for half of the world?

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

Not only is this authentic frontier gibberish, it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/ioannZH/status/1499650386805800963?t=8i6xzyyS-UVoA5dj9R6I8g&s=19

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

TearsOfPirates posted:

Do you really want the living prices to go up 500% in a week for half of the world?

ignorantly, yeah i don’t mind. i say from my armchair

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TearsOfPirates posted:

Would suddenly light the fire under the asses of governments to implement the environmental changes we need to not be hosed in 50 years so sure.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kaaj posted:

Bernie getting ratfucked broke lots of brains for good

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ola posted:

I think every generation has done this, "oh, it was so much better X years ago"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kaaj posted:

Plus we lost David Bowie and Carrie Fisher.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

KillHour posted:

Would suddenly light the fire under the asses of governments to implement the environmental changes we need to not be hosed in 50 years so sure.

More likely get a huge chunk of western governments toppled and replaced with right-wing ones that promise to keep prices down. You are overestimating how much someone living on minimum wage cares about Ukraine and underestimating how much they care about being able to buy shoes for their kids and be able to pay rent.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Young Freud posted:

The editor-in-chief of Russia Today resigned. Guess martial law is one step too far.
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1499644295128748034?s=20&t=lpYD2zCrmfPOnU68_pbkGA

Margarita Simonyan is the editor-in-chief of RT and is under targeted sanctions.

Maria Baronova was an organizer of the Bolotnaya Square protests along with other activist and opposition stuff, then became the editor of the Russian edition.

Edit: for accuracy

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 4, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

the popes toes posted:

Farming Simulator people are making handy work of War of Tanks people. I'm looking for a lesson there but I can't find it.

Farmers have known their entire lives that the land can gently caress you up, tankers... not so much. :eng99:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

kaaj posted:

Having Donald Trump as your new president is enough to be considered a bad year

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

kaaj posted:

Brexit referendum was 2016 too

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Maria Baronova was an organizer of the Bolotnaya Square protests along with other activist and opposition stuff, she joined RT to work on a specific charity project.

Baronova can rot in hell
She has been insufferable since she eagerly went to RT for shill bucks, posted how she dreamed of Russia retaking the historical mother city of Kyiv but now, once she sees how it really is and that sanctions can gently caress up her chances of leaving country, she fled.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Didn't see this mentioned before, but apparently, BBC, Deutsche Welle, Meduza and RFE (Радио Свобода) have now been banned in Russia. They're really speedrunning the entire thing.

https://twitter.com/Kira_Yarmysh/status/1499639881160658945

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Baronova can rot in hell
She has been insufferable since she eagerly went to RT for shill bucks, posted how she dreamed of Russia retaking the historical mother city of Kyiv but now, once she sees how it really is and that sanctions can gently caress up her chances of leaving country, she fled.

Yeah I'm wrong, she did become the editor of the Russian version. Margarita Simonyan is still the overall editor-in-chief.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

steinrokkan posted:

Bernie getting ratfucked broke lots of brains for good

Or just made them see the truth and realize nothing’s ever going to change, so why loving bother. Hopeful for the future for the first drat time in your life and it’s just taken away. Nothing broke-brained about seeing humanity and the world for the absolute poo poo they are. Though, yeah, this definitely isn’t the thread for that.

Everything’s absolutely hosed, but I still hope Ukraine somehow comes out of this on top. I really should know better than to do that at this point.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

a podcast for cats posted:

Didn't see this mentioned before, but apparently, BBC, Deutsche Welle, Meduza and RFE (Радио Свобода) have now been banned in Russia. They're really speedrunning the entire thing.

https://twitter.com/Kira_Yarmysh/status/1499639881160658945

Has the supposed Duma meeting for today taken place?

So speaking of crazy Russian/Soviet plans, this is ridiculous if true:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvMm4Uh3HPs
(The Soviet plan to conquer NATO in 14 days.)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
He lost by 3 loving million votes

thats all ill say about that

Despera fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 4, 2022

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
That Task & Purpose channel has a decent take on Russia's actions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BAZ2bBUzM (I didn't see a link to it in the previous four pages).

and I'm inclined to agree. I've been following this map put together by some Finns: https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/The-War-in-Ukraine/091194

What's going to follow then is siege and devastation by artillery. Unless Ukraine surrenders.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Ola posted:

Plus we lost David Bowie and Carrie Fisher.

And Leonard Cohen.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

Has the supposed Duma meeting for today taken place?

https://twitter.com/dalperovitch/status/1499657520356409344?s=21

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

But it's a special military operation, Vladimir, not a war...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Now is probably a good idea to get a VPN if you are posting here from Russia. Just to be on the safe side

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

TearsOfPirates posted:

Where is that figure from? Also, it's also going to be great if a few major countries who can afford it do that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Russians are kind to supply UA with Russian AA systems to shoot down Russian aircraft

I know it won't happen, but one can hope

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 4, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Video reportedly from a Ukrainian civilian that helped ambush a Russian column. Video looks like the column had stopped to change a tire. Not graphic, just destroyed/damaged equipment, but boy does this guy sound creepy.

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1499613068787023872?t=bfhyXEivQ7Tkb_PIO0v98g&s=19

"~Welcome~"

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Supposedly, for anyone interested, a Nordwind Airlines 777 may have been seized in Mexico City, and a Pobeda (Aeroflot Subsidiary) 737 may have been seized in Istanbul.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Where is that figure from? Also, it's also going to be great if a few major countries who can afford it do that.

The figure was a bit of a stretch, but the gas and electricity where i currently live have already gone so much up (up 100% for each) that I wouldn't be surprised to go up to soaring heights.

Also no, no major nation with a brain can afford it.

Unless you really want to have massive riots and right wing rise in half of EU.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Between all the Buks the drones have been blowing up, and all the Pantsirs, Tunguskas, and Geckos that have been abandonded and captured/destroyed, I wonder how much good self propelled AA the Russians actually have left to protect the trucks and Grads from the remaining Ukrainian air force?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting thread on the assassination attempts on Zelensky.

https://twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1499660679195865091?t=2n2YEAywcECYClKrcAVw2Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1499661996681273345?t=9tLRcHM8kKpsvmNa9bOnXA&s=19
https://twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1499662705959096322?t=8he9ro04YVh8cps8lQNvXw&s=19

Good ol' fashioned racism might be helping svae Zelensky's rear end - FSB might not mind leaking if the folks getting killed because of the leaks are "just chechens" or nazi mercs.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
True 4D chess play right there: invade Ukraine, get sanctioned, sanction back with a massive increases in price of fuel/gas and by doing that fuel the rise of right-wing governments in Europe. Who will dismantle EU and NATO from the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

These laws are also reportedly explicitly retroactive too. Not great for the protestors already in prison :sigh:

https://twitter.com/E_Wyciszkiewicz/status/1499663495100604416?t=pJ-TSeom5OHzm9m9G8k37w&s=19