Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Cleretic posted:

If I turn up with pellets and flamethrower ammo, use them, and don't get them back when I die, it has clearly made things harder after death.

Yes, they're 'just consumables', but Sekiro leans harder on consumables than any Souls game, and I can't say is better for it.

How is it any different to arrows and life gems from Dark Souls?

And Sekiro is absolutely not a game that requires consumable usage outside of using Divine Confetti for the headless bosses. The items you get can help but I’ve beaten every boss in that game just through proper swordplay.

Demon of Hatred loving sucks though, but he’s the closest you’ll get to a Dark Souls boss in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Forgotten City has really bad loading times on my machine. The "combat" is also really terrible. They're so bad together that I literally didn't finish it when right near the end. Whenever you break the golden rule invincible enemies shoot at you while you try to run back to the time loop point. You can only take 3 of these shots on the character I chose before you die and have to go through a load of your last save. You can dodge the archer's shots while running away from them but it's not great. One of the ways to get the best ending involves triggering this sequence while there are about 14 of these archers between you and the loop, and you have to loot something while being shot at by about 4 of them. There is also a loading point in the way. I looted the thing I needed and then died. Then I loaded and THOUGHT I looted the thing and then quick saved. Then I proceeded to die twice more, get through the loading screen and save again, then die once more before I made it to the loop. Finally, I thought, I just have to sit through this loop load, then the loading spot to the end to get back to the end and I am done. But then I realized I didn't have the item I needed and I just quit and uninstalled the game. Seriously, I am NOT doing that poo poo again. Watched the ending on Youtube instead.

Now I'm left with this really negative opinion of the game. It's hard to dig beneath that negative feeling the end left me with despite enjoying it mostly until then. I won't say it's a bad game, but I don't think I'll ever think of it fondly.

I also hated how there's a voice that just straight up spoils puzzles for you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The very final scene in The Forgotten City is also sorta patronizing. Having everyone you saved give you a literal round of applause for doing such a good job is going too far.

Also the discussion on git gud is at an end. Please keep talking about Elden Ring, because it's a new game and people have stuff to say, but the rest of it is over.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Philippe posted:

The very final scene in The Forgotten City is also sorta patronizing. Having everyone you saved give you a literal round of applause for doing such a good job is going too far.

Also the discussion on git gud is at an end. Please keep talking about Elden Ring, because it's a new game and people have stuff to say, but the rest of it is over.

Agreed. The posting needs to get better.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Philippe posted:

Yeah, funnily enough I didn't even watch the entire sequence on Youtube. I stopped after the 2nd person of a dozen starts talking to you and I saw on the timeline that it just does that for everyone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Frank Frank posted:

This happens to me 100% of the time if I let the PS5 go into sleep mode with Elden ring running unless it’s at the title screen.

Ugh, really? Weirdly I've only ever seen it do that twice - the first was on ER's first boot and the second was after the patch this week, the game wasn't running beforehand either time. I always log out back to the title screen at the very least and usually kill the game entirely to watch HBO Max or something when I'm done.

The PS5's operating system level rest architecture is really loving sketchy for something they've been working on since the PS Vita over a decade ago.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Philippe posted:

Eh I liked that. It's goofy and saccharine but eh, maybe I just needed something like at the time. But I always like it in media when the actions of a hitherto unknown hero are made public for everyone to see the good that they've done. The whole 'now it's time for the world to unite under them' scenes and stuff.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

Well then I don't know what it says that the 'afterthought' part of the design is better than the core.

I would be enjoying fighting Lady Butterfly a lot more if it had some stealth to break up several minutes of 'attack after dodging her unblockable'.

I'd recommend watching some videos of how to fight bosses because I think some people get the wrong idea of how the game wants them to engage with it and get frustrated when nothing changes and it's still difficult. Sekiro's boss battles are far and away the best part of the game. They call for a level of aggressiveness that pretty much no other From game manages, where the expectation is that you get right up in the boss's face, keep the pressure on them, and trade blows until you overwhelm them.

None of the boss fights are particularly long, except maybe Demon of Hatred, and dealing damage is just a means to an end. With most bosses, the goal is to break their posture, and hp damage just helps break their posture more efficiently. Nearly every attack or combo can be deflected or otherwise avoided and punished. If they're just standing around, you should be taking swings at them to keep them on the defensive, and preparing to deal with whatever counterattack they throw your way. Eventually you get a feel for how to deal with whatever they can do, and the boss fight becomes this almost choreographed fight where you're tossing aside everything they throw at you and getting in past their defenses to strike them down

Rockman Reserve posted:

I really wanted to like Sekiro more than I did, but the block and parry timing just seemed completely unforgiving. I heard it might actually be tied to your TV/monitor's refresh rate, and I know my TV's "game mode" is pretty garbage, but it was the first and only game I've played that has given me such a hard time with a basic mechanic. I think my save file is stuck where I can go in three different directions to get horribly killed by three different bosses but that's about it.

It's by far the most forgiving parrying system From has produced. By default, you have something like a whole half a second before an attack connects to parry it. If you're repeatedly tapping the parry button, the window decreases (to 7 frames from 30), but it's usually still pretty easy to get the deflect. Some people recommend holding the guard button and then just quickly tapping it right before the attack connects which will either have you parry it at best or block it at worst. I found that to be a little clumsy, but lots of other players swear by it, so give it a shot

Also, Lady Butterfly is a pretty tough boss and not necessary to take out immediately. The real hurdle is Genichiro on top of Ashina castle. That was the boss that really got the game to click for a lot of people. To beat him you have to internalize the combat system, and if you can take him out you can manage the rest of the game. And by the time you fight him again you'll have gotten so much better that he'll feel like a joke

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Mar 4, 2022

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I am annoyed at Gwent once more. I've run into a different blacksmith playing a monster deck which has an ability called muster which allows them to play any same named card from your deck. Again, Gwent is a game that doesn't allow you to draw cards so imagine my surprise when she played a vampire card and five more cards immediately came into play, each with power between 4 and 8. I even had the ability that reduced their segment to 1 attack each and I still lost that round due to their overwhelming numbers.

Oh, and this person has multiple groupings of muster cards, so the second round they threw out another four monster in one turn and still had 6 cards to my 3.

I cannot find someone to play against who doesn't outcheese me and I have no idea how to get a better deck because I can't beat anyone. I really should stop playing it, but I can see how it might be really fun if I actually had interesting cards.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

I am annoyed at Gwent once more. I've run into a different blacksmith playing a monster deck which has an ability called muster which allows them to play any same named card from your deck. Again, Gwent is a game that doesn't allow you to draw cards so imagine my surprise when she played a vampire card and five more cards immediately came into play, each with power between 4 and 8. I even had the ability that reduced their segment to 1 attack each and I still lost that round due to their overwhelming numbers.

Oh, and this person has multiple groupings of muster cards, so the second round they threw out another four monster in one turn and still had 6 cards to my 3.

I cannot find someone to play against who doesn't outcheese me and I have no idea how to get a better deck because I can't beat anyone. I really should stop playing it, but I can see how it might be really fun if I actually had interesting cards.

Honestly I burnt out on Gwent for that same reason you’re having problems with, but Muster at least gets hard countered by that one card that sets the attack of everything in a row to 1 since every Muster-compatible enemy that I saw is front row only.

Kinda sucks, because even ignoring stuff like side quests attached to it it’s a fun game, you’re just inevitably gonna have someone whip out a high end legendary card. I think the exact moment my spirit broke completely was having a Geralt card used against me…

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
there's a monster card that kills everything of highest attack as well, which goes through musters like a chainsaw

My experience was that once I had a few high value siege equipment cards, I could rely on the commander with the double-siege usable power, especially once I had the medic siege engine and decoy to recycle them.

Biggest power increase came from throwing out my Kaedweni Siege Expert and poor loving infantry cards, since even in an ideal case they're worthless

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The Northern Realm deck is all you need. Load up with all the spy cards you can fit along with the best cards you have and it's super hard to lose. The Commander's Horn and cards with Tight Bond can dominate pretty much everything. Usually I can manage to make the opponent waste a bunch of their best cards in the first round while playing my weakest garbage, demolish them with barely anything in the last round, and then take the last round with the best cards I've kept back in reserve

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Gwent is an in-world pay-to-win game. Until you start getting some OP cards it's frustrating as hell when your opponent starts doing things like pulling out multiple hero cards that aren't even affected by abilities.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Gwent is an in-world pay-to-win game. Until you start getting some OP cards it's frustrating as hell when your opponent starts doing things like pulling out multiple hero cards that aren't even affected by abilities.

This.

Look up a guide to where you can find cards in the world, and do some quests that give you cards as rewards. Once you have good cards to make a good deck you can start beating people to get more good cards, and the cycle will begin in earnest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loving hate these mask wizards at Hogwarts in Elden Ring. Mainly because they just keep rapid fire spells and there's usually more than one at a time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
To add to the pile of tactics to countering Muster: Let your opponent win that round. Muster doesn't pull cards from the graveyard. Hang in their long enough that they play the majority of their forces then end your turn and let them win. With a few Spy cards and Resurrection cards you can last another two rounds while they run out of moves.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I recall there was one obnoxious muster card that had 1 more strength than everything else in its category just to keep you from playing scorched on it. IIRC it was even a unique card you got from a quest because of how notable that is. I never got the monsters deck to work myself though, it’s mostly just annoying against the NPCs who have have perfectly balanced monsters decks before you’ve gotten a real deck going

Once you get a few spies in your deck then a monsters deck full of muster cards is even more vulnerable to the strategy of throwing a round in exchange for drawing a billion cards to crush the next two rounds

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Mar 4, 2022

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Basically the entire last 3-4 pages and the whole discussion of Souls and fromsoft and Elden Rings and git gud is the reason I can't stand any of those games and will forever file any FS title away as overrated. Both the fans and the detractors are just compoundingly obnoxious as soon as you put one of each together and their stupid fight summons more and it takes forever to end. And of course someone will respond to this with their awesome wit and a git gud, ignoring that maybe my opinion might have had the chance to change at some point in over a decade if anyone involved in the lovely cyclical argument had changed in any way at all.

edit for actual content: its a lot of strategy and games with long term management, why do you not have an in game notes function? Even just let me tag little reminders on my dudes. I might have a gap of weeks between playing, let me note down that I was in the middle of planning an assault south over the river, and not forget what that army was doing marching that way and order them off somewhere else.

ShootaBoy has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Mar 4, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

muscles like this! posted:

I loving hate these mask wizards at Hogwarts in Elden Ring. Mainly because they just keep rapid fire spells and there's usually more than one at a time.

Yeah, I've been stunlocked by a couple of them a few times. It's insanely cathartic to go back there at a much higher level and just murder them all.

Thing dragging down ER for me at the moment is the boss battles. Too many are "what if boss but with adds?" or "what if boss but two boss?"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The biggest advice I can give with all of Gwent is figure out which round you are gonna let them win and make them waste their best cards beating you. Hold out and make them continue wasting cards while trying to save your best cards.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Basically every RPG out there is guilty of this, but Elden Ring reminded me that it's been in every Souls game too: I already pressed the Talk button on this person, why haven't they said everything they need to say? RPGs have this nasty habit of forcing players to exhaust a character's dialogue until said character starts repeating themselves, and in a surprisingly high number of cases, will make some people miss out on important quests or goodies because they either just don't know they're supposed to keep mashing the button, or are impatient and want to get on with playing the game.

The only time having to talk to a character multiple times over ever makes any sense is if you're given a list of things to talk to them about. It's a little cumbersome still, but at least you can see how many topics they have to talk about, and you usually don't need to repeat those topics to get important information they should have shared to begin with.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

kazil posted:

Thing dragging down ER for me at the moment is the boss battles. Too many are "what if boss but with adds?" or "what if boss but two boss?"

I don’t remember fighting too many bosses like that and now I’m scared because maybe I just happened to fight all the ones that weren’t like that first

Another minor elden ring thing - I think I did some stuff out of “intended” order because I’m running into a few bosses and areas that don’t really pose much of a threat relative to how important they are. It’s not a big deal since I’m sure as I approach endgame things will get consistently harder again, and it’s something that is tough to design around in an open game like Elden Ring, but it’s still sometimes a bit of a let down. Maybe someday in the future I’ll do a second playthrough where I deliberately do those fights and areas sooner.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

Basically every RPG out there is guilty of this, but Elden Ring reminded me that it's been in every Souls game too: I already pressed the Talk button on this person, why haven't they said everything they need to say? RPGs have this nasty habit of forcing players to exhaust a character's dialogue until said character starts repeating themselves, and in a surprisingly high number of cases, will make some people miss out on important quests or goodies because they either just don't know they're supposed to keep mashing the button, or are impatient and want to get on with playing the game.

The only time having to talk to a character multiple times over ever makes any sense is if you're given a list of things to talk to them about. It's a little cumbersome still, but at least you can see how many topics they have to talk about, and you usually don't need to repeat those topics to get important information they should have shared to begin with.

It’s ‘cause it sucks having to listen to some dude yammer on for five minutes straight. Having to hit x a few times in the middle keeps you engaged. In Souls games at least, there aren’t too many NPCs, so it makes sense to pump them for every scrap of information they might offer

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

liquidypoo posted:

This is irritating, I keep going to leave and then realising I should keep hitting the talk button because they probably want something

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The biggest advice I can give with all of Gwent is figure out which round you are gonna let them win and make them waste their best cards beating you. Hold out and make them continue wasting cards while trying to save your best cards.

Yep. It's counter intuitive but throwing rounds is one of the best tactics for Gwent.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kit Walker posted:

It’s ‘cause it sucks having to listen to some dude yammer on for five minutes straight. Having to hit x a few times in the middle keeps you engaged. In Souls games at least, there aren’t too many NPCs, so it makes sense to pump them for every scrap of information they might offer

I don't know how many action-y games do it, but I like it when games just have an indicator that there's more dialogue, either in general or down particular trees. Just a different colored font or something.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

ShootaBoy posted:

Basically the entire last 3-4 pages and the whole discussion of Souls and fromsoft and Elden Rings and git gud is the reason I can't stand any of those games and will forever file any FS title away as overrated. Both the fans and the detractors are just compoundingly obnoxious as soon as you put one of each together and their stupid fight summons more and it takes forever to end. And of course someone will respond to this with their awesome wit and a git gud, ignoring that maybe my opinion might have had the chance to change at some point in over a decade if anyone involved in the lovely cyclical argument had changed in any way at all.

It's cool and healthy to decide not to play any given game. Not every game is For You and that's fine.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Whoever at From put Prospector Miriam in the game should be fired thx

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kazil posted:

I feel like that entire dungeon is built with the expectation you’re going to be running away from her but come on, I’m a Souls player. that just makes me want to fight more

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

kazil posted:

She took me a while, tried it early game and had to come back much later. The best part?

She doesn't even have the key to the place. I don't know where it is yet but it doesn't appear to be anywhere in the building.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

She took me a while, tried it early game and had to come back much later. The best part?

She doesn't even have the key to the place. I don't know where it is yet but it doesn't appear to be anywhere in the building.

It's so much worse than you think

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

FS title away as overrated.

I once punched a demon through a house in Otogi. That was fun.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
One thing dragging down my enjoyment of all the games available on game pass for PC that i picked up for like a buck is that the app itself is garbage.

"Oh, you clicked Play? Will it launch eventually? Did it even start at all? *I'll* never tell! What an exciting mystery! "

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gnome de plume posted:

One thing dragging down my enjoyment of all the games available on game pass for PC that i picked up for like a buck is that the app itself is garbage.

"Oh, you clicked Play? Will it launch eventually? Did it even start at all? *I'll* never tell! What an exciting mystery! "

Man, their app design sucks. Other fun things are that the gamepass app doesn't recognize that I have a subscription, and will happily take me to the subscribe page every time. Or that some games only work from gamepass but others only from the xbox app, but only one of the two respects its own app setting to install games to an external drive.

It's enough of a shitshow that I'd be angrier about it all if it wasn't such a bizarrely good deal.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Hell, downloading games on the ps4 console from it's library menu still brings up wrong dlc from the same publisher. Reinstalling Skyrim asks if I want to download Fallout 4 stuff. Been like this for a few years now.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Opopanax posted:

Yep. It's counter intuitive but throwing rounds is one of the best tactics for Gwent.

I remember my general strategy was to lose the first round after draining more of their cards than what I used, and then demolishing them the next two rounds.

It was a fun mini-game, but subject to some wild swings from the RNG gods. Also, at the time you first meet some NPCs, they just straight up have better decks than Geralt does.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Elden Ring is great but it keeps crashing HARD and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to fix it. It's behaving exactly the same as Dark Souls 3 at launch, and while those issues were eventually fixed in a patch, I'm not looking forward to however many months that might take. It's a total crapshoot as to whether a given session will run for an hour or literally two seconds.

It's extra obnoxious because the game is amazing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zinkraptor posted:

Another minor elden ring thing - I think I did some stuff out of “intended” order because I’m running into a few bosses and areas that don’t really pose much of a threat relative to how important they are. It’s not a big deal since I’m sure as I approach endgame things will get consistently harder again, and it’s something that is tough to design around in an open game like Elden Ring, but it’s still sometimes a bit of a let down. Maybe someday in the future I’ll do a second playthrough where I deliberately do those fights and areas sooner.

I kind of like this about these games actually. Beats the poo poo out of things like level scaling since that kind of robs the open world of any kind of tension. At least to me. I like realizing that holy poo poo moment where I find out that I do not belong wherever the gently caress it is that I wandered off to.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elden Ring's game world is kind of designed with the intent that you'll run up against a couple wall bosses and look elsewhere for awhile until you can come back and smash them. As such there have to be more than a few leveling pathways, and in your travels you'll inevitably find some hidden monster cave you didn't see before and smash everything inside. That's fun though, EZ loot, get wreckt goblin assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I kind of like this about these games actually. Beats the poo poo out of things like level scaling since that kind of robs the open world of any kind of tension. At least to me. I like realizing that holy poo poo moment where I find out that I do not belong wherever the gently caress it is that I wandered off to.

Oh yeah it's absolutely better than level scaling. I think this sort of thing is actually handled very well in Elden Ring, and it can be satisfying to smash a dungeon you didn't realize you were supposed to find back when you first started, there's just a few bosses where I feel like I might've had more fun if I found them earlier.