Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I should add that more games that want to appeal to adults should take it from EVE Online, a game for grognard 30+ year olds, and make it so that you can advance in the game even when not playing.

Hell, encourage hybrid play by giving your game a rested XP bonus up to a cap and then turn that bonus into regular XP after the cap. That way people that log in every day get double XP for a small amount of time, people who log in one weekends get a lot of double xp, and people who log in once a month have a slow trickle of consistent progress and a huge buffer of double XP when they come back.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

AmbientParadox posted:

I have bounced off so many games because of this. I gave up WoW classic because it hit that same issue that WoW Vanilla did: it just required too much of a time commitment in order to get anything done. Raiding was 5-6 hours a week, often in 2-3 hour blocks. I can't drop everything on a Tuesday night for 3 hours at a set schedule to raid anymore; I have a fulltime job, a family, and a home. My personal time is a lot more valuable than when I was 20. Guild Wars 2 has been great for that; Most nights I'll hop on and do the dailies for ~15 mins, then log off for dinner, then later in the evening, if there's time, I hop on to run my daily fractals (dungeons).

I keep bouncing off everything but guild wars 2 for this reason but I keep trying to make it work - maybe this time i'll be able to recapture the magic of being 16 with an everquest subscription and no social life despite now being in my 30s with all that entails

last time I unsubbed eq was because someone in my group chugged a groupwide 4-hour bonus exp potion and expected everyone to be fine with extending the length of the group for that long with no notice

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

blatman posted:

I keep bouncing off everything but guild wars 2 for this reason but I keep trying to make it work - maybe this time i'll be able to recapture the magic of being 16 with an everquest subscription and no social life despite now being in my 30s with all that entails

last time I unsubbed eq was because someone in my group chugged a groupwide 4-hour bonus exp potion and expected everyone to be fine with extending the length of the group for that long with no notice

This reminds me of playing Archeage at launch and going "okay guild we are all going to build my boat because I struggled to get the blueprint first" without actually really asking anyone so I dropped my two day one time use blueprint and then no one showed up because I didn't actually clear it with anyone. Ground the gently caress out of some trees to get that together before it expired.

That guy was an rear end in a top hat, if you burn a ton of cash without talking to anyone first then don't be surprised if it goes to waste. MMOs are communication games, communicate!

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

AmbientParadox posted:

Honest question: do you have any hobbies that aren't simply "consume"? Such as running, gardening woodworking, painting, MtG?

I agree 100% with where you're going with this comment but :lol: a bit at listing Magic the Gathering alongside those other self-improvement outlets.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pandaal posted:

I agree 100% with where you're going with this comment but :lol: a bit at listing Magic the Gathering alongside those other self-improvement outlets.

It makes sense. MtG cards, much like Beanie Babies, are a guaranteed return on investment. It's just training for the stock market.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Elden ring is the best mmo out right now

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Striking out into the woods really does feel like circa 2000 Everquest in some ways. The fast travel and to an extent Torrent works against it, but it has a lot of the same adventuring vibes.

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

every time i come here i get lost as fuck

AmbientParadox posted:

Honest question: do you have any hobbies that aren't simply "consume"? Such as running, gardening woodworking, painting, MtG?

i can't play mtg because i can't count past the number 7 but it looks pretty consumey to me

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
running just enables more consume

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

i can eat a pound of swiss cheese does this qualify as a creative habbit

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
theorycrafting MtG decks and playing them can be as fulfilling as any other creative endeavor.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cmdrk posted:

theorycrafting MtG decks and playing them can be as fulfilling as any other creative endeavor.

Maybe if you woke up one day without a personality and desperately buy hasbro toys to fake having one

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
mtg is supposed to be a rather social experience I think that's where they were going with that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
making mtg decks is great, but you should never buy cards first hand as long as it's entirely based on basically lootboxes. i have like 1000 cards at home that's just poo poo people threw out because they're worthless poo poo worth a few cents each, and had tons of fun making decks from that and playing with friends

MTGA is a good enough substitute i guess (easy to unlock enough cards for at least one good deck without paying anything), but it's about as social as a single player game lol

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

mtg is supposed to be a rather social experience I think that's where they were going with that

sounds like some cock and ball torture to me

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

why don't i just let everyone watch me count to 37 on my nuts

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

titpussyasscum posted:

why don't i just let everyone watch me count to 37 on my nuts

do you have like a super lovely person you played magic with once or what

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
maybe posters itt got some bad memories of wearing silk dragon shirts and mom's khakis while playing magic at the lunch tables at school or community college.

:shrug: it's mechanically deep with a variety of formats controlled by a very greedy company.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MtG is not a self improvement game but Yu-Gi-Oh is, as it teaches the art of diplomacy and politics of ancient times according to this documentary I once watched.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

waiting for the MtG mmo about going on a pilgrimage to pray at holy sites of worship (exposed buttcracks)

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
MtG is LARPing as a wizard lawyer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol remember when a Magic the Gathering MMORPG literally launched last year and then was shut down a month later?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It wasn't an MMO, unless you're also counting Diablo as an MMO.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

It was me extending some kind of olive branch for op to re-examine any of their other hobbies to find one that wasn’t something hollow like watching anime or collecting funko. MtG can involve lots of theorycrafting and social aspects. Maybe dnd would have worked in my previous post?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

lol remember when a Magic the Gathering MMORPG literally launched last year and then was shut down a month later?

didn't it have some awful system where all of your abilities were like use-once and then you pulled a new ability from your hand or deck or some poo poo?

oooh but see its like the card game now!

it's a shame too because they have a pretty cool universe once they purged the 90s-era hooded white figures from the lore :lol:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cmdrk posted:

didn't it have some awful system where all of your abilities were like use-once and then you pulled a new ability from your hand or deck or some poo poo?

oooh but see its like the card game now!

it's a shame too because they have a pretty cool universe once they purged the 90s-era hooded white figures from the lore :lol:

Yep, you remembered correctly. It was a terrible system. And all of that amazing and unique world building, and you know what they did with it? They focused entirely on generic undead. All of the enemies were zombies and skeletons. Nothing about the game looked and felt like Magic the Gathering.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hellioning posted:

If guild wars 1 is an mmo then so is diablo 3

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Guild Wars 1 wasn't an mmo. Much like something like Path of Exile isn't an mmo. It's an online game, certainly, but so are lots of things.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orange DeviI posted:

Elden ring is the best mmo out right now

the PvP is the only garbage part of Elden Ring

I don't summon co op partners which means its impossible for someone to invade me while Im exploring without using an item, and if I invade it is into a 1 v 2 or 1 v 3

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

eonwe posted:

the PvP is the only garbage part of Elden Ring

I don't summon co op partners which means its impossible for someone to invade me while Im exploring without using an item, and if I invade it is into a 1 v 2 or 1 v 3

Is that what it is? I went to scrap today and absolutely every encounter was 1v3. Also was surprised I never get invaded. Went in blind so didn't know the rules were different.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yep, if you invade it will only be people that have summoned a coop partner

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You can be invaded if you just use a tongue and no co-op partner
Or you can be invaded if you have a co-op partner
Or you can find a dueling mark and just duel

But if you use the tongue, not only can you be invaded with no co-op partner, but if you get a co-op partner, you can get two invaders

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah im mostly complaining that it isn't dark souls or demon souls invasion

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I have used this tongue in hopes for an invasion and so far have gotten no one

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

please invade

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mulva posted:

Guild Wars 1 wasn't an mmo. Much like something like Path of Exile isn't an mmo. It's an online game, certainly, but so are lots of things.

Sorry but we’re talking about the best current mmo, elden ring right now. Please keep up or post elsewhere. Thank you

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hellioning posted:

Lost Ark is a Diablo, and is being called an MMO

Mulva posted:

funny enough, wikipedia can't seem to make up its mind about that

I recall when the game was released, the lead dev specifically said it was just an online game, but then I heard some time later another dev said it was an MMO, so that's probably why

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ffxiv is an mmo too despite being 99% instanced 4 to 8 man fights

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Orange DeviI posted:

Ffxiv is an mmo too despite being 99% instanced 4 to 8 man fights
GW1 was a better mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

I recall when the game was released, the lead dev specifically said it was just an online game, but then I heard some time later another dev said it was an MMO, so that's probably why

Wasn't the official messaging that it was a CORPG, or Competitive Online Role-Playing Game.
And then no one else used the acronym for anything I guess.